Anybody use a Motorola Moto X smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

Anybody use a Motorola Moto X smartphone?

Post by catdude »

Y'all,

A few weeks ago I started a thread regarding my want/need of an awesome smartphone. You can find that thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=185219

I'm still debating the issue... haven't bought anything yet... But I think I've hit upon a Bogleheadish option. For the last day or two I've been researching the Motorola Moto X Pure phone. An unlocked one costs about $350 - $450 (depending on storage options). That's a whole lot less expensive than a top-of-the-line Apple or Samsung phone, and I'd be able to continue using Consumer Cellular as my carrier. The reviews I've read have been uniformly positive, in some cases glowing. By all accounts, it appears to be a great phone for the $$$ spent. I stopped by Best Buy this afternoon and took a look at one... the display looks great...

Just wondering -- do any of you have this phone? If so, what do you think of it? I've currently got the Moto G, and it's a really good phone, but I'd like to do an upgrade...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
BlueFin

Re: Anybody use a Motorola Moto X smartphone?

Post by BlueFin »

I haven't used the Moto X myself but in doing research on smartphones it always comes up as a very good choice at a reasonable cost.
realmford

Post by realmford »

I had the original Moto X model (I think the ones out now are a generation or two newer). Highly recommended - highly functional, speedy, good ease of use - it's very fluid with the Android operating system.

I currently have an Iphone 6s and while I understand this may be a personal preference, I found the Moto X with the android operating system to be significantly more streamlined in its functionality than the 6s with IOS. I don't think you can go wrong with the Moto X.
pochax

Post by pochax »

i have the Moto X 2014 16GB (pure edition, but that just means unlocked in 2014 - not the PURE edition of 2015) and i use it on cricket wireless on their $35/mo plan (2.5 GB data, unlimited talk/text).

it is a very good phone. the Pure will be a nice phone but there are 3 features that i miss that makes me want to upgrade to a Nexus 6P:
1) fingerprint sensor - since i use an iphone 6 at work (they only use iphones even tho i prefer android OS), i have gotten spoiled by the fingerprint unlocking feature. i want this on my next phone. the moto X pure will not have this.
2) battery life - is meh on the moto x 2014. probably better on the Pure (2015), but it barely lasts me a workday (probably have lost total charge with all the cycling it's done over 1.5 years). the Pure 2015 should be better.
3) memory - 16GB is no longer enough for me....newer apps/updates are taking up more and more space. am going to get 64 GB next time so i don't run into this issue any more (or SD card expandability). the Pure 2015 has SD card expandability so this should be a non-issue.

so to put it succinctly, i personally want that fingerprint sensor so i wouldn't get one, but it is probably nice so long as you don't need that sensor, are fine with the display (i prefer AMOLED over LCD). i also would prefer quicker OS updates (hence Nexus over Moto for me).
Last edited by pochax on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Cricket Wireless has an interesting new Samsung phone.Samsung Galaxy Amp Prime. $150. It has Android 6.0 installed.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/content ... prime.html

Compare specs. If you have never had an Android phone, the Amp Prime or Grand Prime on cricket are both very solid at a lower price point.

You will like the Moto X. You also can't go wrong with a S5, S6, S7 or the Note series from Samsung.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I have the 2015 MotoX (the 2nd gen, but not the '3rd' gen PURE most-recent models.) I use it on Republic wireless where it is one of the only phone choices available to choose from.

It's an awesome phone. Does everything, well. Big enough to be useful for web browsing, not so big that it doesn't fit in all pockets, great screen. The camera is the weakest part - it takes perfectly good pics and vids, but the iphones I've used focus faster and more reliably (I think it's a software thing, since I do get great pics out of the MotoX - just a slightly higher incidence of blurrier ones from motion artifact and misfocus.)

I'd highly recommend it, esp for the price.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I still use my original Moto X from Verizon, which I took with me to Cricket. It's beginning to show its age but is simple and durable - just what I want in a smartphone. I highly recommend phones in this family. If I were buying another phone I would get the Pure Edition, but I wish they'd kept the smaller size from the earlier models.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

My wife has the Moto X Pure and she loves it. It's almost pure Android, at least there is no carrier garbage installed. It runs Android 6.X and gets updates almost as fast as my Nexus 5X (which is pure Android). Sizewise it is slightly bigger than my 5X.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Hi, OP here. My thanks to all of you for your responses -- the feedback is very helpful. At this point I'm strongly inclined to go ahead and buy the moto x. I'll take another day or two to mull it over, but from all indications it's a great phone for the money. Thanks again...
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

Love the Moto X. I rooted it and installed a custom OS.

Did you also consider Oneplus one?
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

I think the Nexus 6p is a better alternative if you are willing to spend a bit more (500 for 32 gb)
madsinger

Post by madsinger »

I use Moto X (2nd generation) with Cricket (just like pochax, I think). Very happy with it. Fingerprint sensor not a big deal for me. It's easy for me to plug in at work, so battery life has not been an issue...but could be if I wasn't able to plug in, I suppose. 16Gb seems fine for me, but I don't have many apps on my phone, so I may not be the typical user. I like the hands free driving feature...it reads texts to me, and lets me reply while having my phone in my pocket the whole time.

-Brad.
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

ejvyas wrote:Love the Moto X. I rooted it and installed a custom OS.

This is the first I've heard of the Oneplus one. I googled it and it looks interesting. And I read some of the Amazon reviews -- a lot of people swear by it, some seem to swear at it. :P Anyway, I'll think about it...
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

johnny wrote:
ejvyas wrote:Love the Moto X. I rooted it and installed a custom OS.

This is the first I've heard of the Oneplus one. I googled it and it looks interesting. And I read some of the Amazon reviews -- a lot of people swear by it, some seem to swear at it. :P Anyway, I'll think about it...
I love OnePlus one especially because the phone is so open and conducive to Custom ROMs like Cyanogen . Its unlocked too and has good specs

Only issue if you stick to Motorola phone and their own OS is that they were very quick with updates when Google owned the company but now they are very slow in releasing updates/security patches. Its NOT a big deal but I always like to go with the latest and the greatest.
stuffthatpig

Post by stuffthatpig »

I highly recommend the Nexus 5x or 6p. I recently got the 5x and it's awesome. The camera is superb and I'm not sure how I lived without the fingerprint sensor. The 5x is smaller than the Moto X which is the branding for the Nexus 6. We started using Google's Project Fi service and it's been wonderful. Much more affordable and just as reliable reliable as traditional providers all while having an equally awesome smartphone. The Nexus products through Google are not a bad price either. I suggest waiting for a sale though as they regularly knock $150 off the price. We picked up 32 gb 5Xs for $249. Best part about them is if we ever decide to leave Google, the phones are fully unlocked with universal tech that can transfer to any carrier.
Bradford

Post by Bradford »

I had the 1st gen. Moto X and upgraded a few months ago to the Moto X Pure.

I love it. The minimal amount of bloatware/near stock Android is fantastic. The size was an adjustment at first, but now I look back at my old phone and it looks tiny. I've played with a lot of friends/family's different devices and I still think the Pure is the best. Obviously there's a plethora of other great options as well, but you definitely can't go wrong with the new Moto X.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I just got the nexus 5x also and really like it. Here is a comparisipon between it and the pure.
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/98629 ... r-buck.htm
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Just thought I'd revive this thread and give y'all an update. Earlier this evening I ordered the Moto X Pure from Amazon! My brother alerted me to a "Warehouse Deal" on a slightly used 64 GB phone in "very good" condition. The price was $376... and in fact I had a $50 gift card to use, so my net cost wound up being $326. Sweet.... I got the awesome smartphone I've been pining for, without having to part with too many $$$. I'm a happy camper...