Outdoor Granite Restoration Product

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
teacher

Outdoor Granite Restoration Product

Post by teacher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:00 pm

This post is a long shot as for over a year, I have tried to find a product and process to restore headstones for my father and grandmother and to keep my mother's looking as it does now. After decades, family member headstones have lost their luster and look neglected. I have asked people at the cemetery and looked on-line for products to restore granite color and luster with no success. Please share your ideas.

Higman

Re: Outdoor Granite Restoration Product

Post by Higman » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:11 pm

I've had good luck with Wet & Forget. It will take a couple of months after application to come clean and you may have to do a second application. But it works.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:16 pm

You might want to contact a company that sells granite for architecture uses. They sometimes offer hints and methods for maintaining their products.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:24 pm

sport wrote:
You might want to contact a company that sells granite for architecture uses. They sometimes offer hints and methods for maintaining their products.

I was planning on doing that I after see replies here.

I will check out Wet and Forget, Higman. On Amazon, it looks like it is a liquid, and I was expecting some kind of paste. It's a heavy-duty job, for sure.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:25 pm

I WOULDN'T TOUCH THEM ! ! !

After researching this for a volunteer project for our genealogy society, we found that the best way to clean them is water and a soft brush (like a toothbrush). You can easily do more damage to the stone, especially if they are over 100 years old. They weren't made the way they are now and are often very fragile. Cleaning products can etch white lines into the stone.

Why not take good photos of them that could be enlarged if you desire and remember them as they are now before they deteriorate further.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:30 pm

celia wrote:
They weren't made the way they are now and are often very fragile.

These originated in the mid seventies and early eighties. Do you think they are old enough to be of concern? Your comment sure puts a different slant on things.

celia

Post by celia » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:20 pm

I don't know the history of headstone composition. But I would hesitate to do anything without professional opinions.

Here's another perspective. After you die, a nice expensive headstone (paid for from your estate) and possibly built to your wishes is erected. After 50 or 100 years, your descendants decide to clean it . . . Would that bother you?
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Monument dealers might be one source to ask and they may even provide some kind of cleaning service.

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:04 pm

celia, For ease of mowing, since mid-century in California, headstones have typically been flat on the ground and usually made of granite or brass. They are in no way monumental or ornamental, but I would like them to be well-kept. I will take your advice, sport's and pshonore's advice to seek a professional opinion. I was just hoping someone had experience with a product that did the job. Thanks your your responses.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Last fall I took a tour of the Rock of Ages granite quarry and and factory in Vermont and which was actually pretty interesting and they made a point that their monuments are warranted forever. You might look for a manufactures mark on the headstones to see if it has their logo or some manufactures logo since it could still be under warranty or that company may have some suggestions.

It was also a short drive to the Ben and Jerrys Ice Cream Factory tour which oddly enough also had some tombstones for "dearly departed flavors"

http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/flavor-graveyard

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:14 pm

Polished granite doesn't need much but an occasional soap and water cleaning.

Here's an article about the semi-annual Vietnam memorial cleaning: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/re ... video.html

This site discusses doing nothing: http://www.iscga.org/how-to-protect-and ... stone.html
A great challenge of life: Knowing enough to think you're doing it right, but not enough to know you're doing it wrong. — Neil deGrasse Tyson

teacher

Post by teacher » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:31 pm

I don't know if this is a common concern for others, but if I find a solution that really works well, I will post it here. You all have given me some leads to pursue, and I thank you. I'll check with the headstone maker and granite manufacturers. I enjoyed seeing the Vietnam Veteran's memorial cleaning, mrc. I saw the memorial a few years ago in DC and remembered it was so sparkly, you could see your reflection. I'm pretty sure it was granite and obviously well-maintained by volunteers.