Concrete or Asphalt driveway?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lovejoypeace

Concrete or Asphalt driveway?

Post by lovejoypeace »

We have lived at our home for 22 years with a 1/3 mile long gravel driveway. One item on our wishlist is to pave it and we are in the process of getting quotes. Based on them, the cost for concrete is about 10-15% higher than asphalt. Given the hilly and curvy terrain, a friend (that paves using asphalt) told us that concrete would be a better choice.

Do fellow Bogleheads have any opinions on which is best?
jebmke

Re: Concrete or Asphalt driveway?

Post by jebmke »

If cost is an issue, have you looked at chip&tar (macadam). We had a gravel driveway -- about 200 feet long. It was in bad shape and weeds grew up but we liked the informal look of gravel (we live in the country). We had it paved with macadam last year and it looks great, no weeds so far. I don't recall the quotes but I do remember it was significantly lower cost than asphalt.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
mrc

Post by mrc »

Concrete, when done properly will last a lifetime. Asphalt, won't. And you'll be out there every couple years with 5gal buckets of sealer for the asphalt. I would have thought that concrete would be more than 10-15% more. I would do the concrete. I replaced an asphalt driveway with concrete. Never looked back. The one and only drawback is snow/ice doesn't melt off the lighter surface as fast. But in the summer, the driveway isn't an oven either.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
dream_chaser

Post by dream_chaser »

Concrete or leave it gravel.

If cost is an issue, just concrete a large pad near the house and leave the rest gravel. Get it done right and sealed.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Also, keep in mind that paving (of any type) could drastically increase runoff. I would have preferred to keep a permeable surface but didn't want to continue maintaining gravel or bear the cost of permeable pavers. But I can tell the difference in large rain storms.
Topic Author
lovejoypeace

Post by lovejoypeace »

jebmke wrote:If cost is an issue, have you looked at chip&tar (macadam). We had a gravel driveway -- about 200 feet long. It was in bad shape and weeds grew up but we liked the informal look of gravel (we live in the country). We had it paved with macadam last year and it looks great, no weeds so far. I don't recall the quotes but I do remember it was significantly lower cost than asphalt.
That would be my preference but the closest contractor that does it is about 100 miles away. Evidently it's not a popular choice and most contractors have abandoned it.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Depends where you live. In the south.....you have a choice. In the salty north, asphalt because road salt will destroy concrete.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

mrc wrote:Concrete, when done properly will last a lifetime. Asphalt, won't. And you'll be out there every couple years with 5gal buckets of sealer for the asphalt. I would have thought that concrete would be more than 10-15% more. I would do the concrete. I replaced an asphalt driveway with concrete. Never looked back. The one and only drawback is snow/ice doesn't melt off the lighter surface as fast. But in the summer, the driveway isn't an oven either.
This.

We covered our gravel driveway with asphalt about 20 years ago, but the estimates we got for concrete were much more expensive. So far, I've only had to patch one hole. However, the edges of the driveway are relatively brittle. If I ever re-do it, I will use concrete if at all possible.
glock19

Post by glock19 »

mrc wrote:Concrete, when done properly will last a lifetime. Asphalt, won't. And you'll be out there every couple years with 5gal buckets of sealer for the asphalt. I would have thought that concrete would be more than 10-15% more. I would do the concrete. I replaced an asphalt driveway with concrete. Never looked back. The one and only drawback is snow/ice doesn't melt off the lighter surface as fast. But in the summer, the driveway isn't an oven either.
10-15% more for concrete is a bargain unless the quote for asphalt is unusually high. I've had both and without doubt I'd pay more and go with concrete. Asphalt just requires too much maintenance, i.e. frequent sealing and patching of cracks.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

glock19 wrote:
10-15% more for concrete is a bargain unless the quote for asphalt is unusually high. I've had both and without doubt I'd pay more and go with concrete. Asphalt just requires too much maintenance, i.e. frequent sealing and patching of cracks.
Could the concrete contractor be cheaping out by suggesting a thinner pour. I'd research what the standard thickness should be.
mrc

Post by mrc »

barnaclebob wrote:
glock19 wrote:
Could the concrete contractor be cheaping out by suggesting a thinner pour. I'd research what the standard thickness should be.
Indeed. Concrete, when done properly will last a lifetime. Has to be put on properly prepared base, be thick enough, rich enough in cement (bags/yard), reinforced, jointed, and sealed. I would ask the contractor to explain the price difference, and be sure the quality of the concrete job is good. I would rather have good asphalt than bad concrete.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Depends where you live. In the south.....you have a choice. In the salty north, asphalt because road salt will destroy concrete.
Heed this post. Beyond salt, my understanding is that concrete is more adversely affected by the freeze/thaw cycle; whereas, for asphalt, they put a kind-of drainage bed underneath with rock/sand. As far as I know, concrete just gets poured on top of whatever was there prior.

Look around and see what the majority of other people have in your area. In the more northerly parts of the US, there are far fewer concrete driveways.
psystal

Post by psystal »

In Pittsburgh we mostly have asphalt, largely because of the freeze/thaw and salt issues others have mentioned. From an anecdotal level, however, most of the cement driveways I've seen here look fine.

Also, the cost differential is probably a large factor. Concrete driveways are far more than 10-15% more than asphalt.
Raploch

Post by Raploch »

I have both. I live on a hillside with a sloping 200+ feet driveway. The old asphalt driveway was getting damaged from flowing water. But the cost of concrete was just too much. Talked to some construction engineers at work, and got a very good solution. Regrade the parking area in front of the garage , the driveway, and the hillside runoff into a concrete drainage strip running down the middle of the new asphalt driveway. So the driveway is 1/4 concrete and 3/4 asphalt. "Use concrete when you must, or where it pays to" one engineer told me.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Dude2 wrote:
Jack FFR1846 wrote:Depends where you live. In the south.....you have a choice. In the salty north, asphalt because road salt will destroy concrete.
Heed this post. Beyond salt, my understanding is that concrete is more adversely affected by the freeze/thaw cycle; whereas, for asphalt, they put a kind-of drainage bed underneath with rock/sand. As far as I know, concrete just gets poured on top of whatever was there prior.

Look around and see what the majority of other people have in your area. In the more northerly parts of the US, there are far fewer concrete driveways.
I have yet to see any salt trucks doing private driveways so salt is a non-issue in the north unless you make it an issue by spreading the salt yourself.

I live in a town full of concrete driveways 50+ years old and other than a few cracks, they withstand the harsh northern environment much better than asphalt, probably by a factor of two or three times longer.
edge

Post by edge »

Permeable pavers are hands down the best. Besides that it depends on conditions.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Add me to the list of those surprised that the concrete premium is not greater.

In the Northeast I have seen driveways decades old that have survived many winters (including whatever salt owners put on them). But this is concrete done by the two or three good companies in the area- who, by the way, sign their work with a stamp or (!) a brass plaque.

I had a driveway done in concrete. Concrete costs, but done well it lasts forever.

And a word to the wise- think about what utility lines run underneath. A lot cheaper to do things now vs. later.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

adamthesmythe wrote: But this is concrete done by the two or three good companies in the area- who, by the way, sign their work with a stamp or (!) a brass plaque.

I had a driveway done in concrete. Concrete costs, but done well it lasts forever.
The concrete sections of sidewalks in our neighborhood when we lived in Milwaukee were date stamped. A couple of segments were stamped 1911 and were in great shape.
squirm

Post by squirm »

15% more for concrete??? Better recheck that quote and examine what exactly you're getting. Sounds too cheap, unless your asphalt quote is high.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have had both.
I would go concrete.
If You can. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

lthenderson wrote:I live in a town full of concrete driveways 50+ years old and other than a few cracks, they withstand the harsh northern environment much better than asphalt, probably by a factor of two or three times longer.
It makes we wonder what the real reason is then that so many driveways in the Northeast, US are asphalt. Is it just the expense?

Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Concrete would be the best for most driveways, but the ultimate is concrete with blacktop over it. It serves the interstate highways very well. In the northeast when you put salt on a concrete driveway it is not the salt that ruins the driveway. The salt turns snow and ice to liquid and it gets absorbed by the concrete. At night when the temps drop well below freezing, the water, even with a brine mix will freeze if cold enough. This expands within the concrete and causes spalling, whereby the surface of the concrete that froze separates from the concrete underneath. The key is to get any salt and water off the driveway in the daytime. So the sun can dry it. Of course, they do sell sealers for concrete, but they may only be partially effective. The blacktop over the concrete acts like a sealer and shock absorber. The cost may be prohibitive, however.

I have blacktop and try to repair the cracks and seal it every couple of years.
andylawr11

Post by andylawr11 »

As many have said, concrete when done right, will last much longer than asphalt in any climate( asphalt is actually the binder, the technical term at least in my area is Plantmix Bituminous Surface(PBS)). PBS is usually significantly cheaper, however, when oil prices soared a few years ago, concrete became competitive due to the Life Cycle costs(this trend has also started to reverse). Asphalt pavements are sometimes referred to as flexible pavements and concrete as rigid pavements. Asphalt pavements, even under light traffic loads, will break down under UV when the asphalt becomes more brittle. Under light loading like most driveways, thermal (expansion and contraction) and these "old age" related cracks are most common. You can maintain this by sealing the cracks and/or chipping ( more rock placed over hot oil and rolled in) or resurface with an overlay of new asphalt product. Concrete will crack, nothing you can do to prevent it. I think the keys to concrete are a properly prepared base (doesn't take a whole lot for light loading, just a firm high quality base), a good mix ( proper proportions of aggregate, cement, and water), good finishing technique (don't over finish the surface especially by adding water, this brings the paste to the surface and causes a weak "upper crust"), and proper curing ( don't let it freeze during curing( at least the first 7 days), don't let it dry out on the surface during curing). The reinforcement would be minimal, as its not really needed for strength, just helps with absorbing some of the stress from thermal expansion/contraction and the natural "shrinkage" of the concrete when curing. Anyway, this rambled on a bit, but i took a few classes during my MS which were on pavements (which were not my specialty) and this is what i remembered. My two cents, if i were confident in the contractor and whomever was supplying the concrete mix, I would go with concrete with the cost difference you have described. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, like i said, it's not my specialty, but I'm somewhat knowledgable about both materials. If i don't know the answer off the top of my head, i can likely find it.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Dude2 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:I live in a town full of concrete driveways 50+ years old and other than a few cracks, they withstand the harsh northern environment much better than asphalt, probably by a factor of two or three times longer.
It makes we wonder what the real reason is then that so many driveways in the Northeast, US are asphalt. Is it just the expense?
I would guess expense is one reason. I paid $10k to have a driveway, sidewalk and garage floor put in several years back. I would guess about $5k of that was just for the driveway. I probably could have done asphalt for half the price but that is what I had before and it looked like crap and I'm guessing it was less than 15 years old. It has lots of cracks, dips where we drove down on the road end of it which then collected water and sediment and it got to the point where I was having to mow it along with the lawn to keep the grass growing in the cracks down. Concrete just lasts a lot longer.

Another reason is perhaps climate. Here in the midwest, we get lots of deep freeze/thaw cycles per winter plus lots of precipitation and it is hard on the roads. It is hard on concrete and even worse on asphalt. Around here, asphalt is seen as a temporary solution until the it can be afforded to do concrete. If I go just a little south, I see mostly asphalt roads and they remain pristine but they don't get the deep freeze thaw cycles that we do. Perhaps the northeast is similar in that regard.
OhioGozaimas

Post by OhioGozaimas »

I have "heard" that a concrete drive adds to the property tax appraisal value, but that asphalt does not...

True? False?

Thanks!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I live in the inner North-East, and rarely see a concrete driveway. Every 2 years I get our now 18 year old asphalt driveway resealed to look new again. Yes, we have a lot of salt on roads and cars carry it onto the driveway and into the garage. Snow and ice thaw relatively quickly on this black surface, which is especially important when your driveway is sloped and part of the day in shade.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Given the trade offs between asphalt and concrete there is no clear cut winner. You can find cities 100 miles apart, with the same climate, and concrete will predominate on one and asphalt in the other. Often this is because one has a good asphalt guy and the other has a good concrete guy. Or more realistically one had a good asphalt guy 50 years ago and it just stuck.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Just another anecdotal comment:
A friend of mine works at a factory in Buffalo, NY, and one of its major sources of income has to do with having one of the thickest (deepest) concrete floors in the country. This allows for huge machines to be secured to it for cutting, smashing, shaping, grinding...whatever. These floors were poured over 50 years ago when concrete was cheap (and Buffalo was rich). Apparently it is so expensive to make a factory with a floor like that today that it's completely out of the question.

Concrete could be seen as an investment where you wan't to buy low. Wasn't demand from China responsible for driving up the cost? Maybe it will come back down and allow us to go all-in on concrete. I personally hate asphalt, but I've never been the one that put it in new and kept up with it.

P.S. I like the thought about property appraisal coming into play. That could explain a lot too.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Recently had my 25 year old asphalt drive redone. The "technology" has changed. In the old days, they came in with a Bobcat, pried up the old asphalt, hauled it away, brought in some new base material, rolled it with a small roller and then paved. A few months ago, they showed up with a huge Payloader with what looked like the biggest rototiller known to man. That ground up the top 6-8" of everything into a homogeneous mixture of "millings". They then brought processed mix (stone dust mixed with crushed stone) and spread that. Then came a vibratory roller. That really compacted everything so much so that when it got close to the house you could feel the vibrations. They then paved on that. Cost about $2.25 sq ft.

I think a good, solid, well drained base is the most important part of the job (and keeping the fuel oil truck and other heavy trucks off the driveway especially in the winter time)
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

my first house had an asphalt driveway. never again.
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

We had asphalt when we lived in Upstate NY. I had to seal it every few years and it did crack a bit and settle in spots. I didn't know anyone who did not have asphalt.

In Michigan, everyone in our neighborhood has concrete. We have owned our home for 25 years and have never done an ounce of maintenance on the driveway. The slabs are not totally aligned in one spot anymore, i.e. one slab is about 1/2 inch lower where they come together. We will get that fixed; slab jacking or less likely the entire slab replaced. On balance I much prefer the concrete.

Two similar environments; more snow in Upstate NY but temps in the two locations are similar during the winter. Might be a hair colder in Michigan in January.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

Rich in Michigan wrote:We had asphalt when we lived in Upstate NY. I had to seal it every few years and it did crack a bit and settle in spots. I didn't know anyone who did not have asphalt.

In Michigan, everyone in our neighborhood has concrete. We have owned our home for 25 years and have never done an ounce of maintenance on the driveway. The slabs are not totally aligned in one spot anymore, i.e. one slab is about 1/2 inch lower where they come together. We will get that fixed; slab jacking or less likely the entire slab replaced. On balance I much prefer the concrete.

Two similar environments; more snow in Upstate NY but temps in the two locations are similar during the winter. Might be a hair colder in Michigan in January.
Yeah I've lived most of my life in NYC area and really only seen asphalt around here, save maybe developments dating to the immediate postwar years. I spent 4 years growing up in Michigan (Rochester Hills) and I recall our development having a concrete road and all driveways were concrete.

I'll have to repave in a few more years and I'd like to consider concrete unless the winter heaving and cracking are too much for NY. I will say a nice benefit of concrete over asphalt, is it won't sink over time when you park in one spot. Have 2 cars in the garage, one outside, and it makes ruts at each corner.
Topic Author
lovejoypeace

Post by lovejoypeace »

pshonore wrote: I think a good, solid, well drained base is the most important part of the job (and keeping the fuel oil truck and other heavy trucks off the driveway especially in the winter time)
One reason my husband thinks concrete would be better is because he occasionally drives a dump truck hauling equipment into our house. Between that and the frequent propane deliveries (who do not know how to drive out our gravel driveway without spinning it up) he is convinced concrete would be a better choice.
GoFish

Post by GoFish »

Although I am a civil engineer, I know just enough about paving to be dangerous. What I do know is this:

- prep of subgrade is very important
- contractor should "proofroll" the existing gravel driveway first to identify wet or soft spots, then fix 'em
- you want a layer of crushed stone under the pavement, both for added strength and for draining away water
- pavement can be asphalt or concrete, as long as properly designed (thickness) for the loads you expect
- many times a layer of "geotextile" fabric placed on the existing ground below the crushed stone is a cost effective way to improve performance in lieu of added thickness (also keeps the stone separated from the soil)

Not sure how big an investment you are making in this driveway. But it might be prudent to pay for some engineering consultation up front if you're getting ready to pay big bucks.
feh

Post by feh »

aprilcpa wrote:We have lived at our home for 22 years with a 1/3 mile long gravel driveway. One item on our wishlist is to pave it and we are in the process of getting quotes. Based on them, the cost for concrete is about 10-15% higher than asphalt. Given the hilly and curvy terrain, a friend (that paves using asphalt) told us that concrete would be a better choice.

Do fellow Bogleheads have any opinions on which is best?
For such a small difference in price, I'd definitely go with the concrete.
Watty

Post by Watty »

+1

at the surprise that the price difference was so low especially now.

I was recently talking with someone that works in road building and with the price of oil being so low asphalt is selling for a very low price so they are having a very good year.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

jebmke wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:21 am If cost is an issue, have you looked at chip&tar (macadam). We had a gravel driveway -- about 200 feet long. It was in bad shape and weeds grew up but we liked the informal look of gravel (we live in the country). We had it paved with macadam last year and it looks great, no weeds so far. I don't recall the quotes but I do remember it was significantly lower cost than asphalt.
Any updates on how it's held up? I've been thinking about tar and chip myself for our long driveway.
BogleLearner

Post by BogleLearner »

Concrete can crack if not scored correctly. Concrete pavers would
be permeable and help groundwater infiltration - much more expensive
but looks very good.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

mrc wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:23 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
glock19 wrote:
Indeed. Concrete, when done properly will last a lifetime. Has to be put on properly prepared base, be thick enough, rich enough in cement (bags/yard), reinforced, jointed, and sealed. I would ask the contractor to explain the price difference, and be sure the quality of the concrete job is good. I would rather have good asphalt than bad concrete.
We have a 120 foot driveway, installed in 1994. It is concrete and in perfect shape. We did hire a quality installer who put in a good base, and I think we did a 5 inch, maybe 6 inch thickness. Adding a little extra thickness really makes a difference. We live in the St. Louis area, so we have winter, but have had no cracks. Good luck.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

10 -15% more for concrete is very low. I would only use 6" thick concrete slab reinforced with #4 rebars at 12" spacing both ways, and the concrete strength has to be at leats 2,500 psi at 7 days.

TravelforFun
daheld

Post by daheld »

We are selling a home right now that has an asphalt driveway. The home we are purchasing also has an asphalt driveway. As the son of a cement mason/concrete finisher, I am somewhat partial, but definitely go with concrete. If done right, it will require zero maintenance and last a very, very long time.

I paid $3100 to have the asphalt at the home we're selling overlaid with a few inches. It was an intermediate fix, but really it needs the entire thing torn out and redone because the base was not properly laid. It was buckled up and cracked all over from not being properly maintained.

The home we're buying will need to be re-done sooner rather than later and I'm considering just having the asphalt torn out and concrete poured. It will cost more but the idea of being done with it forever is attractive.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

Was hoping to have my asphalt driveway repaved (tear out old asphalt and add new asphalt) last year. The prices must really differ by geographic area. The two quotes I received last year were $3.50 (I would not trust these guys to do the work based on conversations) and $6.50 per sq foot for an 810 sq foot driveway on a bit of a hill. It was difficult to even get a quote. Some did not return calls. Some never showed up. These were established paving companies. The one best known in my area had a waiting list over a month to get a quote. They were all extremely busy which of course increases their prices. I see one post here of $2.25 per sq foot for repaving. Maybe it's just about supply and demand in each area.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Go with asphalt, you won't be sorry.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

I am a Professional Engineer with 45 years in the transportation industry, 36+ years with a state department of transportation and 8+ years with a Pavement preservation contractor. Since 1991, I have been exclusively involved with pavements. There is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. First, a 1/3 mile driveway at a width of 10 feet is 1950 square yards. Just placing an inch of hot mix Asphalt on this area would require about 110 tons of material. While Highway class paving costs somewhere between $60 to $80 a ton in upstate NY, where I spent my career, driveway guys usually are in the $100 to $125 a ton range. When my state agency had to restore a driveway, a minimum of 3 inches was specified, but 2 inches would work with a good base. So, doing the math produces a cost of $22,000 to $27,500 just for the hot mix Asphalt. We haven’t even addressed the base material. The gravel used for gravel roads and driveways is not suitable for a base under hot mix Asphalt, so it will need to have some crushed stone mixed in, regraded, and compacted. Driveways usually are fine with 4 inches of gravel base. If there isn’t that much there, then it will require additional material. This adds to the cost. Finally, proper drainage is one of the most important aspects of good pavement performance, so planning on that is paramount. Hot mix Asphalt driveways should be sealed the second year after installation and about every 4 years after that. Cracks should be sealed when they occur and are 1/4 inch wide. One thing to remember, driveway guys don’t have the same equipment and skill level of Highway class paving companies, so compaction will be uneven and probably insufficient. Also, the correct temperature of the material is very important. Driveway guys may not care that much about specifications.

Regarding a Portland cement concrete driveway: yes they are more durable, but the cost will be much higher than hot mix Asphalt. Due to the nature of concrete, a minimum of 4 inches is required with wire mesh for reinforcement. Again, doing the math produces 217 cubic yards of concrete. Concrete costs about $100 per cubic yard delivered, so just the material costs $21,700. Figure another $100 per cubic yard for installation and you have a $43,400 driveway plus any base material. Also, you’re going to need 20+ truck loads, a minimum of 7 days of moisture cure, and no cars on it during that time period. Air entrained concrete is required and that’s how it resists salt damage.

If you are really serious about this work, hire a professional engineer to advise you. This is a lot of money to spend just trusting driveway contractors. My DW dislikes the look of hot mix Asphalt driveways, so we have a decent base with an inch or so of 1/4 inch round washed natural stone. It has to be renewed every 2 to 3 years due to snow plowing, but that cost is minimal. Chip seal was mentioned, but again gravel for finished gravel driveways is unsuitable as a base under a chip seal.

For this big of a project, you need professional advice.
Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 pm I am a Professional Engineer with 45 years in the transportation industry, 36+ years with a state department of transportation and 8+ years with a Pavement preservation contractor. Since 1991, I have been exclusively involved with pavements. There is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. First, a 1/3 mile driveway at a width of 10 feet is 1950 square yards. Just placing an inch of hot mix Asphalt on this area would require about 110 tons of material. While Highway class paving costs somewhere between $60 to $80 a ton in upstate NY, where I spent my career, driveway guys usually are in the $100 to $125 a ton range. When my state agency had to restore a driveway, a minimum of 3 inches was specified, but 2 inches would work with a good base. So, doing the math produces a cost of $22,000 to $27,500 just for the hot mix Asphalt. We haven’t even addressed the base material. The gravel used for gravel roads and driveways is not suitable for a base under hot mix Asphalt, so it will need to have some crushed stone mixed in, regraded, and compacted. Driveways usually are fine with 4 inches of gravel base. If there isn’t that much there, then it will require additional material. This adds to the cost. Finally, proper drainage is one of the most important aspects of good pavement performance, so planning on that is paramount. Hot mix Asphalt driveways should be sealed the second year after installation and about every 4 years after that. Cracks should be sealed when they occur and are 1/4 inch wide. One thing to remember, driveway guys don’t have the same equipment and skill level of Highway class paving companies, so compaction will be uneven and probably insufficient. Also, the correct temperature of the material is very important. Driveway guys may not care that much about specifications.

Regarding a Portland cement concrete driveway: yes they are more durable, but the cost will be much higher than hot mix Asphalt. Due to the nature of concrete, a minimum of 4 inches is required with wire mesh for reinforcement. Again, doing the math produces 217 cubic yards of concrete. Concrete costs about $100 per cubic yard delivered, so just the material costs $21,700. Figure another $100 per cubic yard for installation and you have a $43,400 driveway plus any base material. Also, you’re going to need 20+ truck loads, a minimum of 7 days of moisture cure, and no cars on it during that time period. Air entrained concrete is required and that’s how it resists salt damage.

If you are really serious about this work, hire a professional engineer to advise you. This is a lot of money to spend just trusting driveway contractors. My DW dislikes the look of hot mix Asphalt driveways, so we have a decent base with an inch or so of 1/4 inch round washed natural stone. It has to be renewed every 2 to 3 years due to snow plowing, but that cost is minimal. Chip seal was mentioned, but again gravel for finished gravel driveways is unsuitable as a base under a chip seal.

Thank you for this info. The higher price quote I had was for 2" compacted of Binder Course asphalt + 1.25" Wearing course asphalt (topping). This is on top of 4" of compacted modified stone. When you mentioned 2 to 3" on asphalt for driveways, does my quote equate to your 3"+? Little confused on the two different types of asphalt
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Mitchell777 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:29 am
eddot98 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 pm I am a Professional Engineer with 45 years in the transportation industry, 36+ years with a state department of transportation and 8+ years with a Pavement preservation contractor. Since 1991, I have been exclusively involved with pavements. There is a lot of incorrect information in this thread. First, a 1/3 mile driveway at a width of 10 feet is 1950 square yards. Just placing an inch of hot mix Asphalt on this area would require about 110 tons of material. While Highway class paving costs somewhere between $60 to $80 a ton in upstate NY, where I spent my career, driveway guys usually are in the $100 to $125 a ton range. When my state agency had to restore a driveway, a minimum of 3 inches was specified, but 2 inches would work with a good base. So, doing the math produces a cost of $22,000 to $27,500 just for the hot mix Asphalt. We haven’t even addressed the base material. The gravel used for gravel roads and driveways is not suitable for a base under hot mix Asphalt, so it will need to have some crushed stone mixed in, regraded, and compacted. Driveways usually are fine with 4 inches of gravel base. If there isn’t that much there, then it will require additional material. This adds to the cost. Finally, proper drainage is one of the most important aspects of good pavement performance, so planning on that is paramount. Hot mix Asphalt driveways should be sealed the second year after installation and about every 4 years after that. Cracks should be sealed when they occur and are 1/4 inch wide. One thing to remember, driveway guys don’t have the same equipment and skill level of Highway class paving companies, so compaction will be uneven and probably insufficient. Also, the correct temperature of the material is very important. Driveway guys may not care that much about specifications.

Thank you for this info. The higher price quote I had was for 2" compacted of Binder Course asphalt + 1.25" Wearing course asphalt (topping). This is on top of 4" of compacted modified stone. When you mentioned 2 to 3" on asphalt for driveways, does my quote equate to your 3"+? Little confused on the two different types of asphalt
Your quote is for a driveway that will last many years, as long it has good drainage and you keep it sealed. The binder course has larger stone than the top course, allowing it to withstand higher loading, which is not much of an issue with only cars using it. Some folks use a modified top, which has some larger stone. This would allow placing one layer at 3 inches, lowering the cost - less labor and equipment costs.