Buying Washer and Dryer - what to look and where to buy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
biscuit

Buying Washer and Dryer - what to look and where to buy

Post by biscuit »

We are in the market for washer and dryer. Don't have a lot of experience buying these before (all used before).

What should I look for when buying washer and dryer?

Where to look for better deals? We are not particular about color or ADD-ON features that would be cool to have. Price would be the deciding factor if all else the same.

TIA
sport

Re: Buying Washer and Dryer - what to look and where to buy

Post by sport »

Some of the best places to buy appliances are local stores. I can give you the name of a good store in my area, but that will not help if you are elsewhere. If you can share your location, you might get some better answers.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

This will be a tough one. Lots and lots of options. Front load, top load, size, brand, stackable.

We had a top load Maytag set for 17 years. Very dependable. We recently bought (9 months ago) a Maytag MHW7100DW Maxima set. Front load. It has been very good. Front load have really improved since the models 5-6 years back.

Find a model with the features you want, then shop around. Big box stores, small local appliance shops, online. We bought at a small appliance only place and got a better deal than online or big box.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Mine are Kenmore Elite front loaders on pedestals from Sears. They are built by LG, but without the logo they cost much less.

Work great, only 1 issue: the lint trap in the dryer doesn't sit right. One corner sticks up no matter what I try to do to get it down. Clothes have caught on this and been ruined.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Here's a recent thread on the subject: viewtopic.php?t=171947
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

reliability seems to be poor, especially on the electronics end, for modern appliances and that includes washers and dryers.

We've held on to a pre-owned Maytag set for 13 years now. They're probably pushing 20 years old. The dryer has needed 2 repairs over that time, each around $100.

We are moving to a new house and leaving the trusty maytags in our soon-to-be rental. We are shopping for new units and shocked at the prices: $1000 and up, each, for well-rated models. And reliability is still a problem.

Very discouraging. Apparently the electronics help with the efficiency required by the US Department of Energy under their ever more rigorous standards. Features like moisture sensors improve efficiency, but seem to be more prone to breakdown than the standard mechanical parts of the washer and dryer.

Consumer Reports has extensive reporting on these units and updates their findings regularly. Worth a 1 year subscription online (or a trip to the library) to read in detail about their testing and findings. Out of respect for copyright protection I won't copy and paste their findings here, but they found that LG was the most reliable for front-load washers (but the least reliable for top-load, figure that), while SpeedQueen makes the most reliable washing machine overall (do they only make top-load?).

Dryers are more reliable than washers, in general. LG makes the most reliable dryer by far, whether gas or electric, but most brands are pretty reliable and more reliable as a rule than their paired washing machine.

You don't have to get paired machines. We probably won't.

You'll also want to measure the width of space available. Some extra capacity units are wider than standard and won't fit in a confined space.
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
powermega

Post by powermega »

I would highly recommend getting a dryer with a steam setting. I can't tell you how many times I have run the steam de-wrinkle cycle on our dryer.

I also second talking to a local appliance store. Usually they have price match guarantees, so you can shop for you appliance on Home Depot, Lowes, etc, then take the listing to them and let them price match. Usually the local shops have better service and a better repair/warranty offer as well.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

My recent horror story. In the nearly two decades since I moved out of my mother's home, I never had a washer or dryer fail or need repair, probably because I use them very sparingly (especially the dryer as I hang dry almost everything). With this in mind, figured we could save some major money get refurbished units when we bought our new home in December...one of the biggest headaches I've ever had. We purchased from a local place which only sells refurbished units; they looked brand new, had a 2yr warranty (have to bring in the units to be fixed or exchanged), and were less than half the cost. Within a month we ended up having to borrow a truck and load either the washer or dryer 4 separate times because they didn't function correctly - we literally got less than 10 loads of laundry done after having to exchange them 4x. The warranty was pointless as it was a huge hassle to constantly bring them in. We ate the cost, dropped the units off in the parking lot of the place we bought them, left them a terrible online review, and bought new units from Best Buy. Not much to offer, but I wouldn't buy "refurbished".
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Consumer Reports reviews Washers and Dryers in the latest issue.

If you have natural gas in your home, I suggest that vs electricity for the dryer.
Northster

Post by Northster »

I discussed this a bit with the repairman who fixed my 25 year-old Maytag recently. He seconded some of the points already made here. One, much of the fancy electronics in new models is prone to breakdown and is not needed. He also said the Speed Queen top load was the best choice. Incidentally, the Maytags have had one repair each to the washer and dryer in all these years. But they don't make'em like they used to.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

biscuit wrote:We are in the market for washer and dryer. Don't have a lot of experience buying these before (all used before).

What should I look for when buying washer and dryer?

Where to look for better deals? We are not particular about color or ADD-ON features that would be cool to have. Price would be the deciding factor if all else the same.

TIA
After reading forums and comments, i picked the top load washer and dryer.
I initially thought on Whirpool from costco but leans on Samsung /LG since wife want new Samsung /LG with
fancy units and glossy looks, Energy star with latest technology.

Costco costs more for whirpool that have less feature and i still preferred that due to their excellent customer service.
However I purchased Samsung finally... at frys.com without any extended warranty during black friday door buster sale using my credit card
which covers extended warranty already.

SAMSUNG WA48J7700AW/A2 4.8 TOP LOAD WASHER
SAMSUNG DV48J7700EW/A2 7.4 CU.FT ELECTRIC DRYER

While all are selling at 579 during BF sale, frys door buster went on 399 each.I managed to score one and end up in paying 200 bucks less than costco's
whirlpool model.
So far only issue i face is when i put very less amount of clothes like 2 or 3 baby dresses for dyring, dryer is not drying well....
However on all other times it does very well.I really not using all the features but its there and can be used when i need that.

Its only 4 months old and need to see how long it goes :)

Try to get the movers coupon for Best buy if possible. It have 10% off and their
bestbuy points will give some dollar back as points and also get some sign on bonus credit card for spending x dollars
if you wish to save more.
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

FWIW: The appliance repair man we use (30+ years experience) suggested if we ever need a new washer to get a Speed Queen top loader with mechanical controls if you can find one. He also advised we keep our 9 year old Whirlpool top loader and matching electric dryer as long as possible since the washer has a great transmission - better than what is currently available.

... Fletch
GK4321

Post by GK4321 »

Another vote for Speed Queen with mechanical controls.

We have both a washer and dryer. Zero frills. Expect them to last 25 years.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

dm200 wrote:Consumer Reports reviews Washers and Dryers in the latest issue.

If you have natural gas in your home, I suggest that vs electricity for the dryer.
We used natural gas dryers at first and had problems with them so we switched to an electric unit which we're still using (the same one) with no problems after twenty-five years, as unbelievable as that sounds. The energy cost may be higher than with gas but with the perfect reliability, no comparison. We'll never go back.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Commenting to those who posted about Speed Queen top loaders, my Consumer Reports issue arrived today and I commented to my wife the fact that I have never seen a review of or comments about Speed Queen washers in the 50 years of my CR subscription. She suspects it may be because CR considers Speed Queen as a commercial product as opposed to a home consumer product. They do advertise as being a commercial grade product in their literature. We have a very large local appliance company with multiple outlets in the Nashville area that sells all the brand names in kitchen and laundry appliances, including Speed Queen, but never once have I seen Speed Queen in their weekly advertisements. I am willing to bet that is because SQ is one of their biggest sellers in laundry equipment. I am going to stop by soon and ask them about this. Our niece bought a SP top loader with an agitator and electronic control panel and she is very pleased with it for the past year. Actually the electronic control panel is warranted for five years and the manual control panel only for three years.
Tom D.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

GK4321 wrote:Another vote for Speed Queen with mechanical controls.

We have both a washer and dryer. Zero frills. Expect them to last 25 years.
about how much did you pay?
Watty

Post by Watty »

Be sure to check to see if your credit card will extend your warranty.

If you buy one at Costco you may get a better warranty.

The big box hardware stores often will give you 10% off if you get their credit card.
bl2410s

Post by bl2410s »

Not sure if you are considering used or where you live but in my city all the apartments are now including washer and dryers causing residents to sell them. I picked up a two year old model of an LG steam washer and dryer for $500 for both on Craigslist and there were at least ten sets around that price in my area (Tampa, FL). Good luck in your search.
GK4321

Post by GK4321 »

letsgobobby wrote: about how much did you pay?
I think they were around $800 each

They look pretty 'old school', but are simple to operate, the clothes come out great and they are built like tanks.

Before we purchased them, I asked our local appliance repairman which brand he recommended if we were buying new. He said 'Speed Queen'.

We then went to a local appliance store. I told the salesman we wanted something that would last 25-30 years. He walked us past many different brands and stopped in front of the Speed Queen machines. "Here you go...they don't make them like this anymore".

Haven't had any problems with them.
PGR

Post by PGR »

Our Sears (Whirlpool) washer finally died for the last time 3 or 4 years ago. They were new in 1984 so they only lasted 30-ish years. :( Actually the drier was still going strong.

Replaced both with new SpeedQueen set. This was the ONLY line in current production that compared to the old school machines. They have old analog rotary knobs and such (vs electronics). They are HEAVY perhaps 75 lbs heavier then the other brands. The washer is an old school top loader (so no it's not as water efficient as front loaders). If you remove the service panel they are definitely designed to be serviced - the belt is located such that it can be readily replaced and that's the only obvious wear item I could see. They are also well supported for parts from what I've heard. They are respected on the appliance repair forums.

While SpeedQueen does specialize in commercial grade machines - mine are from their consumer grade line and bought from a local appliance store. Price was more than reasonable.

I think Speed Queens are still MADE IN THE USA :happy

If you want more stylish, modern machines in designer colors - you might be disappointed in these.
niven

Post by niven »

Fletch wrote:FWIW: The appliance repair man we use (30+ years experience) suggested if we ever need a new washer to get a Speed Queen top loader with mechanical controls if you can find one. He also advised we keep our 9 year old Whirlpool top loader and matching electric dryer as long as possible since the washer has a great transmission - better than what is currently available.

... Fletch
+1 We replaced our 28 year old Maytag washer and dryer with the Speed Queen top loader washer and dryer with mechanical controls last year. Although Speed Queen has moved most of their models to the electronic controls (which they claim have been tested thoroughly in their commercial models), you can still get a model with the mechanical controls.
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

Dryer: if gas is option, get gas. It'll cost more upfront than electric, but usually cheaper to operate. My experience is the models with the lint filter from the back is less messy than the lint-filter at the door.

Then again, if you put clothes out of the washer onto hangers (if laundry equipped with hanger bar) and/or a $20 drying rack, you can skip using the dryer most of the time. We've been air drying for years now, from back when trying to save power costs with an electric dryer.

Washer: mechanical controls, no nanny software. I like top load, since they're relatively simple design, and don't have to potentially worry about mildew on gaskets. But its definitely a personal preference. We bought a GE (non-HE) from a big box store, its ok, appears it'll last (knock on wood), but doesn't clean as well as my parents 90s era Kenmore. I've read lots of good things about SpeedQueen, but no experience myself except is on my list for next machine, whenever that happens.