Do you pay for yardwork?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ddunca1944

Do you pay for yardwork?

Post by ddunca1944 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:41 pm

We are getting to the point where we can no longer stay on top of the yardwork. It isn't the lawn (that is very small and easily mowed with an electric mower). A large side yard on a steep hill needs to be weeded, mulched and shrubs pruned. I'm considering hiring someone but have no idea how much is reasonable to pay.

I realize costs vary geographically, but would like an idea.

If you pay for yardwork, would you share how much you spend and for whst?

MarkBarb

Re: Do you pay for yardwork?

Post by MarkBarb » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:06 pm

We have a 1/4 acre lot. We have a lawn crew that mows, edges, and weeds. We have a lot of flower beds, so there is a lot of weeding. We pay them $40/week.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:18 pm

We pay $45 per mow on a weekly basis, which includes edging and blowing clippings off the deck and out of flower beds. This is on a quarter acre. We do consider that on the high side, but we've found that below that price point, reliability becomes an issue. (If you're having a yard party on Saturday, but they show up on Sunday to mow the lawn, low prices tend to lose their luster.)

This firm also does one-off optional projects like Spring fertilizing and aerating. We also pay $350 for an optional "Fall Clean Up" to remove leaves. Again, that's not cheap, but they do a terrific job. The firm we use also does specific landscaping projects like mulching, or grading and re-laying flagstones to improve drainage, again on a per-project basis. It's worth something to have a one-stop yard care service.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm

We have about 1/3 acre lot. We do our own mowing, mulching, edging, weeding, fertilizing, and occasional chinch-bug spraying. Last year, I had a crew cut down a dead tree and cut off the lower (up to 20 ft high) dead branches of about 15 pine trees for $400 cash after negotiations, so lots of tree climbing that I was not going to do myself. I planted azaleas myself … they cost $325 for the plants 12 plants in 2 ft containers.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:37 pm

blueblock wrote:We pay $45 per mow on a weekly basis.........This is on a quarter acre. We do consider that on the high side.........

Really? A quarter acre? Around here, all of the services I contacted quoted either $45 or $50 per mow for my tiny (end of group townhouse) lot which is 60 X 100. Subtracting the square footage of the house, patio, driveway, and perennial gardens, that leaves less than 4,000 sq. feet to mow, so up to now I have resisted these exhorbitant prices.

This is a very high COLA area; part of the problem. Also, these services are licensed and insured (for any damage they might do or other negligence) so that has to be factored.
There are quite a few fly by night services operating with no business insurance that would charge less, of course. But I am too chicken to hire any of them.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:07 pm

I do my own pre emergent and fertilization applications as well as mowing, trimming, edging and winterization. With two kids now and another on the way it has become a sort of hobby for myself that I can do without leaving home. I just bought a commercial spreader with a 100# hopper capacity which is getting me looks from the neighbors. I'm pumped though. I have 1/2 an acre.

I joined a lawn forum (aroundtheyard.com) about two years ago and my yard has improved vastly since then. Getting my soil tested was the best thing I did so I wasn't throwing money away with lime or fertilizer my lawn didn't need.

So, no I don't pay for yard work.
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:25 pm

I pay $35 per cut on a half acre. The guy does about 25 houses in the neighborhood, which is why it's so cheap. A crew of 3 gets the job done in about 20 minutes. I've also had him do some tree removals and stump grinding. His price was about half of what a tree service quote the jobs at and I was fine with waiting until his schedule allowed him to do it. Mulching, weeding, pruning, etc I do on my own.

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:31 pm

I have a 1.5 acre yard including garden and orchard area that has to be mowed too... raised garden beds that have to be mowed around, fruit trees, etc.. It takes me around 2.5 hours to do the whole thing with a 50" tractor type mower.

I pay my 14 year old son, 40.00 for each mowing, if he does the whole thing. It takes him quite a bit longer to get it done than it does me, but he is getting better at it.

He needs the money, and I appreciate not having to do it myself.

Trev H

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 pm

Trev H wrote:I have a 1.5 acre yard including garden and orchard area that has to be mowed too... raised garden beds that have to be mowed around, fruit trees, etc.. It takes me around 2.5 hours to do the whole thing with a 50" tractor type mower.

I pay my 14 year old son, 40.00 for each mowing, if he does the whole thing. It takes him quite a bit longer to get it done than it does me, but he is getting better at it.

He needs the money, and I appreciate not having to do it myself.

Trev H

You need to pay him more

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:05 pm

At age 79 (wife is older) I now gladly pay to have my 1/3 acre of grassed area mowed and trimmed weekly for $42 per week. Up until this year I would do the cutting in March and early April and then again October through December and have them do it in the remaining hot months her in middle Tennessee. But at my age I can no longer do it and just do the weeding in the beds at my own pace. I have the plushest looking fescue lawn in our 162 home neighborhood and am very proud of it.
Tom D.

daveatca

we have people

Post by daveatca » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:32 pm

We have our front yard mowed/trimmed.
$10/week. Our duplex neighbors also pay $10.
It takes them 3 minutes. Literally. Both sides.
Urban.

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:01 pm

I have about 1/4 acre and I pay $35 per mowing. They'll also do spring and fall cleanup with raking in the garden beds, etc.--that's about $300. The mowing service turns into plowing service in the winter, which isn't an uncommon combo around here.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 pm

1 acre lot, $35 mow and blow. Spring and fall cleanup $200. $35 snow plow, 100' two car driveway.

Ralph

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:16 pm

I paid for yard guys for last 12 years but since I retired in January and downsized our house I bought a decent Honda mower and a toro blower and do our yard myself. So far I have enjoyed the extra exercise and I find it relaxing to focus on the yard for an hour each week.

dewey

Post by dewey » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:49 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:I do my own pre emergent and fertilization applications as well as mowing, trimming, edging and winterization. With two kids now and another on the way it has become a sort of hobby for myself that I can do without leaving home. I just bought a commercial spreader with a 100# hopper capacity which is getting me looks from the neighbors. I'm pumped though. I have 1/2 an acre.

I joined a lawn forum (aroundtheyard.com) about two years ago and my yard has improved vastly since then. Getting my soil tested was the best thing I did so I wasn't throwing money away with lime or fertilizer my lawn didn't need.

So, no I don't pay for yard work.

As a fellow Penn Stater--we also do our own lawn and all other grounds care. It is, after all, a 'land-grant' school...
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

furikake

Post by furikake » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:31 am

1.5 acres with raised beds and trees and flower beds in the front, side, and back yard, a crew of 2 who comes every week, $75/week.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:22 am

1/2 acre. I mow and trim myself. Costs are in addition to the purchase price of the equipment which can vary widely depending on personal value for low price, equipment quality, dependability, etc. Equipment life estimates based on my experience over the past 25 years at the current location.
1. John Deere lawn tractor - averages about $300/yr for maintenance and $100/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 20 years.
2. Honda lawn mower for trimming - averages about $25/yr for maintenance and $10/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 12 years.
3. Stihl weed wacker for trimming - averages $10/yr for maintenace and $3/yr for gas/oil mix. Estimated equipment life 10 years.
4. Stihl edger for trimming - averages $10/yr for maintenance and $3/yr for gas/oil mix. Estimated equipment life 10 years.
5. Stihl blower for clean up - averages $10/yr for maintenance and $5/yr for gas/oil mix. Estimated equipment life 10 years.
6. Large contractor trashbags for spring and fall yard waste (blossoms, leaves, limbs, dead plants) - averages about $15/yr for the bags and about $50/yr for the recycle people to pick up and dispose.
7. Ariens SnoThrower - averages $10/yr for maintenance and $2/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 20 years.
8. Other related costs: electric chain saw, extension cords, clippers, pruners, safety glasses, ear protection, safety shoes, gloves, sunscreen.

I pay a lawn service to treat grubs, other insects, fertilize and apply pre and post emergent weed control. Cost is about $600/yr labor and materials.

I pay an independent worker to spread about 10 to 12 cubic yards of hardwood mulch. Cost is about $700/yr for mulch, delivery, and labor to spread.

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

aeronina

Post by aeronina » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:28 am

A good way to find a good reliable gardener is to ask your neighbors. It's a lot easier (and less expensive) for a crew to work 2 nearby gardens than to spend time driving across town to different sites. We did that and on our 40% of an acre the price quoted by the gardener per month was $80.00 (which happened to be $5.00 more than our neighbor's monthly price). This included a weekly visit taking 8-16 minutes worth of a crew of 3, mostly blowing leaves off a patio and a driveway and doing the occasional weeding, trimming of roses, feeding fruit trees, and planting bulbs in the Fall. We no longer have grass or do mowing because we live in Southern California.

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:55 am

I have almost an acre lot, about 1/4 to 1/3 is what gets mowed. It's $38 per cut with trimming and cleanup.

I pay Trugreen a little over $300 to treat the lawn for the whole year package.

We have some mulch beds with various shrubs on all sides of the house along with some trees. If I have the landscaper do the pruning, hedge trimming, edge the beds, weed and throw down new mulch, it costs about $450. I have done it myself sometimes as well and I spend about $150-200 for mulch, so I figure I save about $250 by doing it myself, but it does take me a full day to do it alone and sometimes I just don't feel like it.

blevine

Post by blevine » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:45 am

Used to pay a little over $1000/year for mowing and spring/fall cleanup.
But they did the absolute bare min and would not even respond to requests to do anything else,
even give a quote to do more. Just did high volume work, not desire/time to do more.

Tried someone else who does excellent job at absolutely any outdoor work, gardening
and more. Perfectionist. Negotiating price, expect to pay a more for better quality work.

When I was younger did most myself, but back problems causing me to hire gardener and
snow shovel/blow help in winter. Also don't want to buy/maintain/store equipment any longer.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:55 am

No,
I enjoy the exercise with the lawnmower,,
even if it is self-propelled

:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:35 am

I'm sitting here with an aching back and arms so sore I can barely raise them overhead due to an over-enthusiastic gardening day yesterday, all the while praying for rain so I have an excuse not to do it again today.
And I love it.
So no, no pay. I cannot imagine how someone else would ever take the care I take when navigating to weed my ornamental beds.
Not even my husband is allowed to walk in them without direct supervision. The dogs pay better attention to where their feet fall than he does :annoyed
He mows, blows, edges, and digs where I point- we are on two acres, one fenced and cultivated, one wild woods.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:05 am

blueblock wrote:We pay $45 per mow on a weekly basis, which includes edging and blowing clippings off the deck and out of flower beds. This is on a quarter acre. We do consider that on the high side, but we've found that below that price point, reliability becomes an issue.

Just to give the OP a range, I own 2 acres and pay someone to do these same things for $50 per time. In the spring this equates to about once a week. In late summer and fall, I pay him only every two or three weeks.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:07 am

So far I have done the grass cutting and snow removal myself. We are on 1/3 of an acre and have a right angle side entrance drive about 16 feet wide. I am getting close to the point of paying for a service as I am 69 and not getting any younger. When we moved in to our house 45 plus years ago, I planted many trees. Thought they would be nice to have and heard they were a good investment. That turned out to be a mistake. I have paid several thousand dollars over time to have the trees removed and stumps ground. Don't miss the trees. Gutter no longer get leaves, no more raking in the fall.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:08 am

Costs vary widely depending upon where you live. I have a small lot but pay close to $2k/yr for landscaping. I am happy to pay it to avoid possible exposure to ticks, which are everywhere in my neck of the woods.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

NoVa Lurker

Post by NoVa Lurker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:58 am

I do the weekly work myself. I like to mow. We have a little over 1/4 acre plot, but our house has a big footprint, we have a semi-circular driveway, lots of mulched, planted areas, etc., so the grass areas are not that big.

We pay once a year, usually around $600, for some combination of tree-trimming, mulching, edging -- usually in the fall if trimming is the priority, spring if edging is the priority.

In addition to the mowing, I do a ton of other work myself - leaf gathering year-round (we have a huge evergreen magnolia that mostly drops in the spring and early summer, and a bunch of conventional elms/oaks/birches); re-seeding and overseeding; occasional weed-killer, fertilizer and lime treatments; pulling weeds and moss; and collecting branches after storms. But the yard always looks best after the yardwork guys get done.

If I paid for full service (two seasonal treatments plus mowing for about 7 months/year), it would probably be close to $2500, and I'd still have to pick up a lot of leaves and branches myself, to keep the yard at the current standard.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 am

No. We live on two acres and I enjoy keeping it all up myself. I don't really have the option of hiring this out as it would be terribly expensive for a lot this size. It takes me about 2.5 hours to complete the mowing and weed-eating (my neighbor does his in half the time, but then again his Zero Turn Mower cost 3X what my tractor cost). Trimming trees, shrubs and other tasks usually consume one or two weekends a year, but as I said I enjoy the manual labor (exercise), fresh air and sunshine; things I don't get in my cubicle :( .

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:07 am

We are retired, and I enjoy doing all the yard work myself on our .45 acre. It provides for free needed exercise in fresh air and sunshine. I am sure by now I can do all the work much better than hired people would be able or are inclined to do. It has developed into a gardening / landscaping hobby. Though I am not doing tree work climbing up tall trees.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:02 pm

drawpoker wrote:
blueblock wrote:We pay $45 per mow on a weekly basis.........This is on a quarter acre. We do consider that on the high side.........

Really? A quarter acre? Around here, all of the services I contacted quoted either $45 or $50 per mow for my tiny (end of group townhouse) lot which is 60 X 100. Subtracting the square footage of the house, patio, driveway, and perennial gardens, that leaves less than 4,000 sq. feet to mow, so up to now I have resisted these exhorbitant prices.

This is a very high COLA area; part of the problem. Also, these services are licensed and insured (for any damage they might do or other negligence) so that has to be factored.
There are quite a few fly by night services operating with no business insurance that would charge less, of course. But I am too chicken to hire any of them.

Yeah, we're in a low-to-moderate COLA. I don't know if it makes a difference, but the yard is accessible to a riding lawnmower, so they're typically in and out in less than an hour.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:08 pm

If any of you are around the Philly Suburbs (Delaware County), I would love to cut your lawn, weed, weed wack, make it all purty 8-)

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:11 pm

Not if I can personally do the work. I pride myself on getting it done, exactly when it needs it, and not when the contractor shows up to work. Hey if if ain't done right, talk to the boss man about it. Now a large tree, and stump, would see a contractor.
Licensed for sure.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

four7s

Post by four7s » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:18 pm

We pay $125. per month for Mow & Blow, trimming and minor upkeep that I don't want to do. Two guys spend 30 minutes once a week and are happy to do extras. I don't take advantage of their good nature and will give them an extra 10 or 20 for the occasional planting of a bush or two in the spring . So far, so good.

WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:25 pm

Fletch wrote:1/2 acre. I mow and trim myself. Costs are in addition to the purchase price of the equipment which can vary widely depending on personal value for low price, equipment quality, dependability, etc. Equipment life estimates based on my experience over the past 25 years at the current location.
1. John Deere lawn tractor - averages about $300/yr for maintenance and $100/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 20 years.

$300 a year for maintenance?? That's more than I spend on my car! Are parts falling off as you mow? What maintenance are you doing that costs so much? It's only about $120 for the dealer to come and service it-- clean, sharpen, oil change, grease, plugs, etc.

20 years is optimistic for a lawn tractor but possibly. Mine is 10 years old with about $15/year DIY maintenance.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:26 pm

That's good that we've got choices on how we do things. I can see a day when for health reasons I couldn't continue to do it.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:41 pm

Although I do the yard work myself when I got bids last summer they ranged from $40-$45 for mowing and trimming. We have a third of an acre which is very hilly.

CoAndy

Post by CoAndy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Toons wrote:No,

You're the man!! :sharebeer

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:59 pm

I have 2.5 acres, about 30% of it is forested or otherwise not mowable. I like taking care of it myself, good training and experimentation area for a Master Gardener. :)

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:05 pm

After a certain degree of decrepitude, I started hiring this stuff out. The cost depends a lot on where you live, in my experience. In California, it was noticeably lower than in Rhode Island.

Lawn people are fairly easy to find, but may be ephemeral. Someone who knows how to tend garden beds is a rarer creature. If you hire someone for that be certain they know what you want done. I hired some people who did an excellent job the first time, then "weeded" out a desirable ground cover, etc. the next time.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:16 pm

mouses wrote:...Someone who knows how to tend garden beds is a rarer creature. If you hire someone for that be certain they know what you want done. I hired some people who did an excellent job the first time, then "weeded" out a desirable ground cover, etc. the next time.

I totally agree. Mow & blow guys are likely a dime a dozen on your block. Someone that knows how to prune a shrub or tree, not so much. Hacks abound.

OP, look up & down the street during the week. Talk to a neighbor that has their shrubs maintained. Look at how the plants have been pruned and how they are doing. Is that what you want?

FWIW, I do my own maintenance on 1/4 acre with mostly perennials & vegetable garden. I mow & blow, prune, mulch and maintain the irrigation. It's not that it takes less time than all yard, but I can mostly choose when to do the maintenance.

Levett

Post by Levett » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:46 pm

$32 for lawn care (front and back) and cleanup per week.

We pay a master gardener $20 per hour (as needed) to assist my wife with front and back garden.

Lev

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:01 pm

H does our yard but we pay about $60 once/month for someone to do all the yard work at a steep rental house and haul it all away. It is a person the property manager works with. We also pay him an extra $1000-1500/year to trim the trees. No weeding is involved nor any other care--just trimming, weed whacking, and keeping things presentable. I believe this is very reasonable for our HCOL area.

J295

Post by J295 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:06 pm

We do our own yard mowing, but when we need some "heavy lifting" that I can't do (or don't want to do), I pay $25 per hour for college students to do the work. Typically these are children of friends, guys/ladies from the golf "bag room," college students interning at the firm where I maintain an office, etc.

For our small yard the mowing service charges $25 per mow, which takes them about 30 minutes.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:14 pm

CoAndy wrote:
Toons wrote:No,

You're the man!! :sharebeer

lol
:sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:37 pm

mouses wrote:..... Someone who knows how to tend garden beds is a rarer creature......I hired some people who did an excellent job the first time, then "weeded" out a desirable ground cover, etc. the next time.

I can relate. Last November I paid $150 to have all the leaves sucked up and hauled away rather than do it myself and chance the adult deer ticks who are most active at that time of the year.
Shoulda stayed home to supervise these mental giants. Someone cut the roots at the base of a trellis screen with some power tool and destroyed almost half of my mature (10 years) clematis vines. :x :x :x

edge

Post by edge » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:36 pm

I have a service to do spring cleanup and mulching. It is well worth it and very efficient vs buying mulch myself.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:36 am

WaffleCone wrote:
Fletch wrote:1/2 acre. I mow and trim myself. Costs are in addition to the purchase price of the equipment which can vary widely depending on personal value for low price, equipment quality, dependability, etc. Equipment life estimates based on my experience over the past 25 years at the current location.

$300 a year for maintenance?? That's more than I spend on my car! Are parts falling off as you mow? What maintenance are you doing that costs so much? It's only about $120 for the dealer to come and service it-- clean, sharpen, oil change, grease, plugs, etc.

20 years is optimistic for a lawn tractor but possibly. Mine is 10 years old with about $15/year DIY maintenance.

I may have overestimated a bit. My tractor is 16 years old, I'm considerably older :wink: and do not feel like doing as much maintenance myself as I used to do. I spend about $50 per year for routine maintenance when I do myself (spark plug, air filter and foam cover, oil filter, fuel filter, synthetic oil, grease, sharpen blades) and about $325 when the dealer does that plus check all bearings, safety switches, spring tensions for the drive system, clean, set deck height, sharpen blades, pick up and delivery. I have the dealer do the maintenance at least every second year. The non-routine costs have been 3 batteries replaced by me; 3 or 4 traction belts, 2 blade cogged drive belts, voltage regulator, head gasket, hood and front bumper which were rather pricy (ran into a tree), two carburetor overhauls, all done by the dealer.

$300 per year for car maintenance? I wish - but then again my wife's car is over 20 years old and my previous car was 17; my new car (almost 4 years old now has "free" maintenance for 5 years). My $1500/yr average for two cars maintenance over the past 20 years is far cheaper than a new car every few years. I used to change my own oil, filter, brakes and such - but for the past quite a few years have the dealer do it. Not worth it for the damage/pain to my knees, back and joints to do anymore.

Enjoy those $15 years of the DIY on the lawn tractor and $300 on the car while you can. Old age will creep up on you sooner than you think. :sharebeer

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:56 am

2. Honda lawn mower for trimming - averages about $25/yr for maintenance and $10/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 12 years.
3. Stihl weed wacker for trimming - averages $10/yr for maintenace and $3/yr for gas/oil mix. Estimated equipment life 10 years.
4. Stihl edger for trimming - averages $10/yr for maintenance and $3/yr for gas/oil mix. Estimated equipment life 10 years.
5. Stihl blower for clean up - averages $10/yr for maintenance and $5/yr for gas/oil mix. Estimated equipment life 10 years.
6. Large contractor trashbags for spring and fall yard waste (blossoms, leaves, limbs, dead plants) - averages about $15/yr for the bags and about $50/yr for the recycle people to pick up and dispose.
7. Ariens SnoThrower - averages $10/yr for maintenance and $2/yr for gas. Estimated equipment life 20 years.
8. Other related costs: electric chain saw, extension cords, clippers, pruners, safety glasses, ear protection, safety shoes, gloves, sunscreen.

I pay a lawn service to treat grubs, other insects, fertilize and apply pre and post emergent weed control. Cost is about $600/yr labor and materials.

I pay an independent worker to spread about 10 to 12 cubic yards of hardwood mulch. Cost is about $700/yr for mulch, delivery, and labor to spread.

... Fletch

WOW! That's a lot of equipment and expense for 1/2 acre... Are you sure that e lot size wasn't a misprint and you meant 1- 2 acres???

I have 0.45 acre It takes me an hour and 15 minutes or so to mow with a push mower and trim 1/x week. With a riding mower it would probably only take 20 minutes. I do everything myself.

1 Cheap Troy Built self propel push mower. Cost me $150 6 years ago and I spend about $10 a year on maintenance (the cost of a new plug, air filter and 1/2qt syn oil). Only other maintenance is sharpening the blade 1/month (Takes 5 minutes to do on the bench grinder).

2 Husquavarna weed wacker . Paid maybe $120?? Costs me $2 for a new spark plug every few years and maybe $5 a year in replacement trimmer cord.

3 Edger - When I need to I use the edging blade on the Mantis tiller we have (used for wife veggie gardens). Mantis tiller maintenance costs are basically zero as it gets little use.

I burn less at most 5 gallons of gas a year in all of the above - $10 a year plus the cost of 2S oil.

4 - leaf cleanup - a rake :)

5- we dont use the contractor bags. On cleanup days I rake all the yard debris and weeds go right into the truck and driven to the town compost pile. Leaves get spread in the woods to fertilize the trees. Fallen branches get cutup for firewood or if there gets to be to much I burn a brush pile.

6 - I also have an Airens 24" snowblower. Cant be more than a couple bucks a year for maintenance (plug and oil) though I did put $100 in parts into it last year when I snagged a curb an trashed the augur and bearings.

Lawn feritilizer - I put down grub control as needed and organic fertilizer 2x a year. Costs me maybe $100 a year plus 30 minutes each application to walk the spreader around. I only do lime or more specialized treatments as dictated by soil tests (do it every 2-3 years).

Mulch. I typically put down 3-5 yards of pine mulch every couple years as needed on the flower beds. Cost aobut $150 and a day of my time. If we did it every year it would get too deep and I'd end up with those ugly mulch mountains (which actually kill your trees - bad bad bad).

I also have a husquavarna gas chainsaw, cheap electric hedge trimmer and and various Fiskars tools including pruners and a pole saw for tree and hedge trimming. Done as necessary.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:27 pm

I pay myself for yardwork...45 minutes of work for a couple cold beers after a job well done.

After working in an office all week, I look forward to getting out and doing some yard work.

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:42 pm

jjface..

In response to your suggestion that I need to pay my son more.

I mowed a large yard for my dad, with a push mower, and got paid beans and taters.

My son rides a nice tractor mower, hardly even breaks a sweat, and gets paid 12.00-14.00 per hour + beans and taters... and someone thinks I am paying him too little.

How times have changed !

Trev H

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:01 pm

jharkin wrote:

... Fletch

WOW! That's a lot of equipment and expense for 1/2 acre... Are you sure that e lot size wasn't a misprint and you meant 1- 2 acres???

I have 0.45 acre It takes me an hour and 15 minutes or so to mow with a push mower and trim 1/x week. With a riding mower it would probably only take 20 minutes. I do everything myself.

1 Cheap Troy Built self propel push mower. Cost me $150 6 years ago and I spend about $10 a year on maintenance (the cost of a new plug, air filter and 1/2qt syn oil). Only other maintenance is sharpening the blade 1/month (Takes 5 minutes to do on the bench grinder).

2 Husquavarna weed wacker . Paid maybe $120?? Costs me $2 for a new spark plug every few years and maybe $5 a year in replacement trimmer cord.

3 Edger - When I need to I use the edging blade on the Mantis tiller we have (used for wife veggie gardens). Mantis tiller maintenance costs are basically zero as it gets little use.

I burn less at most 5 gallons of gas a year in all of the above - $10 a year plus the cost of 2S oil.

4 - leaf cleanup - a rake :)

5- we dont use the contractor bags. On cleanup days I rake all the yard debris and weeds go right into the truck and driven to the town compost pile. Leaves get spread in the woods to fertilize the trees. Fallen branches get cutup for firewood or if there gets to be to much I burn a brush pile.

6 - I also have an Airens 24" snowblower. Cant be more than a couple bucks a year for maintenance (plug and oil) though I did put $100 in parts into it last year when I snagged a curb an trashed the augur and bearings.

Lawn feritilizer - I put down grub control as needed and organic fertilizer 2x a year. Costs me maybe $100 a year plus 30 minutes each application to walk the spreader around. I only do lime or more specialized treatments as dictated by soil tests (do it every 2-3 years).

Mulch. I typically put down 3-5 yards of pine mulch every couple years as needed on the flower beds. Cost aobut $150 and a day of my time. If we did it every year it would get too deep and I'd end up with those ugly mulch mountains (which actually kill your trees - bad bad bad).

I also have a husquavarna gas chainsaw, cheap electric hedge trimmer and and various Fiskars tools including pruners and a pole saw for tree and hedge trimming. Done as necessary.

I have all that and then some and I have 1/2 an acre as well. Gas powered toys are fun!!!!
“Life is short, Break the Rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile" - Unknown