Offers for discounted newpaper subscriptions: legit?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CFIT

Offers for discounted newpaper subscriptions: legit?

Post by CFIT » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:54 am

Reading actual newspapers in the morning has been part of my routine since I became an adult. I dropped my subscription to the local paper a few years ago when a new owner started running editorials as front page news items. Time has passed, ownership has changed, and I'm ready to give it a try again but not for the price listed on the paper's website ($285/yr, daily delivery). Looking around, I see lots of third-party companies like discountednewspapers.com offering a year of daily delivery for $182. Has anyone had experience subscribing through this type of arrangement?

Thanks.

Broken Man 1999

Re: Offers for discounted newpaper subscriptions: legit?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:15 am

I subscribe to TWO newspapers covering west coast Florida.

One newspaper costs $52/year for 7 day delivery. The other costs $83.46/year for 7 day delivery. The expensive subscription includes an online subscription to the Washington Post, as well.

The $52 rate was obtained by answering a solicitation for subscription. If I cannot renew for same/lower rate, I will drop it.

I have noticed that newspapers often set up tables at various art shows/festivals/etc. and offer rock-bottom subscriptions. Also occasionally there are offers via Groupon.

Your newspaper seems expensive, even at the discounted rate.

Honestly, by the time a newspaper reports something, I have already heard about it usually via the 'net, TV, etc.

But, newspapers have been a very long morning tradition, so I still subscribe.

I would try the offers, use a credit card to weed out any fraudulent offers.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

corysold

Post by corysold » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:28 am

Have you tried buying that paper at a store and seeing if there is an ad in there for a discounted price?

I deliver the paper and there are different inserts for the store paper vs. the home delivery paper and often the store paper has a flyer for a big discount with it.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:49 am

Are you able to sign up for a certain number of free articles online each month?

If you do that, I'd guess you'll soon enough start getting offers to subscribe (online, print, both).

Wait for a better offer if it seems high, but keep accessing at least a couple a month.

Or find their "introductory offer" for 3 or 6 months. Then drop it.
They'll be baaaack :wink: with a better offer, most likely.
We've got 3 going like that, 2 online and print, one online only.
If we have to skip one for a short time 'til they're back with a special offer, so be it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.