all-in-one? (printer, scanner, copier.)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mouses

all-in-one? (printer, scanner, copier.)

Post by mouses » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:51 pm

My old hp Photosmart 3210 all-in-one bellied up after years of faithful service, and the reviews of the current hp all-in-ones are not good.

I bought a Canon MG5722 to replace it. Criminey, it is the loudest printer imaginable. They even have the ability to select a Quiet mode, which does help, but is not effective when it powers down, which is a very noisy several minute process. That's my main complaint, but the controls are not intuitive and are clumsy.

Can anyone recommend a good all-in-one? I want to print in black/white and color, scan in b&w and color, and copy b&w and color. I don't use a fax feature.

Thanks.

Jake46

Re: all-in-one? (printer, scanner, copier.)

Post by Jake46 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:55 pm

I've used a HP 4630 all-in-one for several months. It's the best one I have ever had.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:00 pm

Is the printing in color absolutely required? If not, consider the Brother HL-L2380DW. It is a laser printer/copier/scanner so you don't have to pay crazy prices on ink cartridges. It cannot print color but can scan color.
Wiki

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:08 pm

I bought a used 3210 off of ebay last month for $125 after our former one broke. The lid got opened too far and apparently damaged a cable. I checked into refurbs but it would have been more expensive than the one I got. I know that other new all-in-ones (that often had less than stellar reviews) were available at cheaper prices. We still had a lot of ink that we had gotten free from my son and our experience has been excellent. My wife is happy that she can do her photo thing without a new learning curve. The new one has a negative scanner attachment too although we've not tried it yet.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:21 pm

i'm convinced that a lot of user reviews are completed by those who have problems and the results are not meaningful.

i bought whatever canon was recommended by consumer reports a year ago or so as a best buy. i didn't like it so i returned it to sams. i spent a few more dollars and got the canon pixma mx922 from amazon. one reason i got it was that the cartridges are refillable by costco. i don't need or want a fax either but it seems like if ya got a copy function ya get the fax whether ya want it or not. can't speak to the noise as i play on the computer downstairs and the printer is upstairs. i have had no issues at all and i'm satisfied with my purchase.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:24 pm

I decided to get brother BW laser printer/copier/scanner from costco. The cheapest one they had with duplex printing.

Otherwise, you might find yourself down an endless maze of features vs price vs reliability.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:28 pm

DSInvestor wrote:Is the printing in color absolutely required? If not, consider the Brother HL-L2380DW. It is a laser printer/copier/scanner so you don't have to pay crazy prices on ink cartridges. It cannot print color but can scan color.
Another person happy with the Brother HL-L2380DW!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:30 pm

DSInvestor wrote:Is the printing in color absolutely required? If not, consider the Brother HL-L2380DW. It is a laser printer/copier/scanner so you don't have to pay crazy prices on ink cartridges. It cannot print color but can scan color.
+1

I have a brother 2280DW. Plus, the replacement toner cartridge is cheap and widely available.

KlangFool

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:37 pm

I have a Brother all-in one that's probably 10 years old and still working as new.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:41 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brother-MFC-913 ... Swp5JWWGd9

Brother MFC-9130CW

You need a bit more space, but the color laser stomps all over ink jet printers.

This link is from eBay, but it is Best Buy selling brand new equipment. When you check out you can choose to ship or pick up at your local Best Buy.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:44 pm

I have two Brother laser all-in-ones. One color, one black and white. Both are excellent machines. Match the specs to the type and amount of printing that you do. An automatic duplex feature saves paper by printing on both sides of the page, but I find that I don't us it very much.

The black and white is dirt cheap to operate.

The color cartridges are crazy expensive. A full load of color cartridges costs about the same as the machine, $400. As a side note, the machine comes new with "starter" cartridges, which have a very reduced toner load.

Ralph

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Carl53 wrote:I bought a used 3210 off of ebay last month for $125 after our former one broke. The lid got opened too far and apparently damaged a cable. I checked into refurbs but it would have been more expensive than the one I got. I know that other new all-in-ones (that often had less than stellar reviews) were available at cheaper prices. We still had a lot of ink that we had gotten free from my son and our experience has been excellent. My wife is happy that she can do her photo thing without a new learning curve. The new one has a negative scanner attachment too although we've not tried it yet.

Yes, others, color is required.

Also I did try the buy a PhotoSmart 3210 off ebay, but it turned out to be a wreck. Where did you find refurbished ones? Is hp selling those with a guarantee? Thanks.

magicj

Post by magicj » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Brother

BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I use a HP5510 Officejet all-in-one and have been very satisfied.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:56 pm

sarahjane wrote:I have a Brother all-in one that's probably 10 years old and still working as new.
Happy Brother MFC 7360N user here. At least 5 years. B&W. Cost quite a bit less than the auto duplex print model, but if you want duplex, the software makes it easy by prompting you through the steps of printing double-sided. I print almost everything double-sided.

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:11 pm

I've had an HP Photosmart 7510 for several years, and it's been great. Regardless of the printer, I'm not fond of ink prices (toner is much more reasonable, though). My next printer will probably be one of the Epson EcoTank printers like the ET-4550 (higher priced printer upfront, but the ink is two orders of magnitude less expensive and it comes with enough for about 10k pages).

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:44 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:48 pm

Picked up an HP Officejet Pro 8600. Reliably does everything: Fax, scan, copy & print in color or Black.
Except -- even though I do not use color for most of my functions, should a color cartridge run low, even though it is in Black, the job will not go forward until the color cartridge is replaced :oops:
Not sure if that holds true for all of the low end (about $100) HP models
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:53 pm

We replaced our HP all-in-one with a Brother and couldn't be happier.....
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

mouses wrote:
Carl53 wrote:I bought a used 3210 off of ebay last month for $125 after our former one broke. The lid got opened too far and apparently damaged a cable. I checked into refurbs but it would have been more expensive than the one I got. I know that other new all-in-ones (that often had less than stellar reviews) were available at cheaper prices. We still had a lot of ink that we had gotten free from my son and our experience has been excellent. My wife is happy that she can do her photo thing without a new learning curve. The new one has a negative scanner attachment too although we've not tried it yet.

Yes, others, color is required.

Also I did try the buy a PhotoSmart 3210 off ebay, but it turned out to be a wreck. Where did you find refurbished ones? Is hp selling those with a guarantee? Thanks.
Many on ebay were junk upon review. Some on Amazon may be refurbished, others not. I did a google search and came across superwarehouse.com. This may be where I found it. You have to call for a price and that seems like what my recollection was. If this was the place they want you to return the old unit for credit. I seem to recall that they did not ship cables or things like trays and that you were to keep yours. If you go this route, ask about type of shipping and guarantee.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 pm

I have had an Epson WF-2540 for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... Cookie=yes
It appears that this is now a discontinued model but Epson has a number of similar ones such as the WF-2630.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... 1CE36201#0
My only complaint is that the Epson 200 cartridge that it uses is apparently not a big seller and they have been somewhat difficult to find especially in the XL (large capacity) variety. My local Costco store has just recently started to carry the cartridges.
Bob

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:14 am

My wife wanted one of these to replace our old HP printer and we just got an Epson XP-820. I like it so far, inexpensive (paid around 120 i recall?), seems decently built, prints fast enough for personal use and the inks are not as exorbitant as HP. If its a home business you might want something beefier.

EDIT: Looks like they are on sale now for $99 http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... C11CD99201

There are all in ones even under $100 but they all looked very cheaply made to me.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:27 am

The last two HP's I tried were not very good, so I switched to Canon. I typically get the cheapest one I can find because DW does a lot of printing and fills up the ink absorbers fairly quickly. I find it easier to just replace the whole printer than try to clean an ink absorber. Currently have a Cannon MG3520 and am well satisfied. One thing I like about the Canon cheapos is they still only use two ink cartridges instead of five.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

BIGal

Post by BIGal » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:19 am

Brother Laser wireless printer...I have a Fujitsu scanner, expensive but worth it if you want to digitize your files....Why would anyone need to make a copy of anything?? Scan it or use one of the scanning apps for a smart phone...I've never owned a multi-function machine and never intend to...Believe it or not, there are actually some companies that insist on FAXed documents....I usually ask if I can send along a buggy whip too.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

cheese_breath wrote:The last two HP's I tried were not very good, so I switched to Canon. I typically get the cheapest one I can find because DW does a lot of printing and fills up the ink absorbers fairly quickly. I find it easier to just replace the whole printer than try to clean an ink absorber. Currently have a Cannon MG3520 and am well satisfied. One thing I like about the Canon cheapos is they still only use two ink cartridges instead of five.
Ink absorber? I just read up on these. Cripes. That's something I never had to do with the Photosmart.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:30 pm

BIGal wrote:Brother Laser wireless printer...I have a Fujitsu scanner, expensive but worth it if you want to digitize your files....Why would anyone need to make a copy of anything?? Scan it or use one of the scanning apps for a smart phone...I've never owned a multi-function machine and never intend to...Believe it or not, there are actually some companies that insist on FAXed documents....I usually ask if I can send along a buggy whip too.
Planning to do my income tax soon. State requires a copy of the federal forms.

I save both digital and paper copies of important documents.

I write mini books and distribute them on paper. Paper will be around when the digital formats du jour no longer have devices that read them, or all the oxide has fallen off, etc. How are your floppies working for ya? What about your VHS and Beta tapes?

I have a clamshell phone that costs about $15 a month. Why should I pay major bucks for phone features I don't want. Plus this way no one can text me, thank God.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:50 pm

mouses wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:The last two HP's I tried were not very good, so I switched to Canon. I typically get the cheapest one I can find because DW does a lot of printing and fills up the ink absorbers fairly quickly. I find it easier to just replace the whole printer than try to clean an ink absorber. Currently have a Cannon MG3520 and am well satisfied. One thing I like about the Canon cheapos is they still only use two ink cartridges instead of five.
Ink absorber? I just read up on these. Cripes. That's something I never had to do with the Photosmart.
HP has something like that but the may call it ink tank, ink pad, or something else. Examples... http://www.fixya.com/tags/waste_ink_abs ... photosmart

Basically after you print something the printer squirts a little more ink through to clean the nozzles. This excess ink goes into the ink absorber, waste tank, or whatever you want to call it. Eventually you will fill it up if you do a lot of printing, and DW does A LOT! I never had this problem before she learned how to use the printer.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:54 pm

After printers breaking on me every few years, I simply gave up on them entirely. My scanner is a $3 app on my iphone (best / only app purchase I've ever made), pictures are digital, and documents are e-signed.

On the extremely rare occasion I actually need to print, I do it at work. If you're retired I have to believe it's cheaper to print at kinkos or something vs owning a printer.

Plus making it a hassle for you to go there for the print will force you to find ways to avoid it.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:22 am

I just bought a Brother BW Wireless Laser duplexing printer. It does not do color. But as far as brands go, I am very happy with it. It has never disappointed.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:28 pm

I have a Canon MP250 all-in-one (I guess it's kind of old now) that I've been very happy with. I used to have a Lexmark all-in-one that had a problem with the ink drying out--if I didn't print anything for a few weeks, I'd have to replace the ink, which got expensive. I finally junked it when I'd put in a brand new ink cartridge and it would think the ink was empty, and I couldn't convince it otherwise.

No problems whatsoever with the Canon. It scans fine and, when I need it to print, it prints.