Experience with Honda airbag recall?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
munemaker

Experience with Honda airbag recall?

Post by munemaker » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:37 pm

I got back from vacation today and in my mail was a recall notice for my Honda due to the airbag. Parts won't be available until sometime this summer. There is some vague language about alternative transportation. I am wondering if Honda has provided loaners or paid for rentals until dealers receive parts and fix the vehicle. Anyone have experience with this?

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.

jjface

Re: Experience with Honda airbag recall?

Post by jjface » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:10 pm

Tried to get a rental for mine but I think they only can do it for a day even if you do manage to talk your way into that. Try another dealer if your usual one can't get it done. Summer is a long time to wait in my opinion to get a recall fixed. Usually the dealer orders them in and it should take a couple of days max. I went to a different dealer and they were able to get it done right away. Good luck!

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Here is the information from the Honda air bag recall website: http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-airba ... act-sheet/

Specifically related to rentals:
Dealer Repair & Rental Policy, and Support

Authorized Honda and Acura dealerships will make appropriate repairs at no charge to the customer. If an owner requests alternative transportation while awaiting repair, while the repair is in progress, or if there is a delay in repairing an affected vehicle, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a free loaner or rental vehicle.

Honda has made changes to corporate policies concerning loaner and rental vehicles to ensure a seamless customer experience. For example, dealers may now loan vehicles to teenage drivers, who are generally prohibited from renting or borrowing vehicles due to insurance policies. Honda has also increased associated reimbursement rates to dealers, and empowered them to loan and rent vehicles to affected customers without seeking pre-approval from Honda.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:51 pm

Let us know if you do get one. My dealer had none available as they were 'all out' of loaner vehicles. I was getting higher up the food chain with Honda management to try to get one authorized but in the end found a dealer who could get the repair done the same day so abandoned that avenue.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:24 am

I have a Toyota and about 9 months ago I received a letter that said the passenger side air bag needs to be replaced and I would receive another letter when the parts are available. The letter also recommended that no one sit in the front passenger seat until the air bag was replaced. I talked to a person at the dealer service department who said he had no idea when parts would be available. When I asked whether it was dangerous to drive the car his reply was that it is always dangerous to drive a car. I'm still waiting to be informed that the parts are available.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:11 am

Mudpuppy wrote:Here is the information from the Honda air bag recall website: http://hondaairbaginfo.com/takata-airba ... act-sheet/

Specifically related to rentals:
Dealer Repair & Rental Policy, and Support

Authorized Honda and Acura dealerships will make appropriate repairs at no charge to the customer. If an owner requests alternative transportation while awaiting repair, while the repair is in progress, or if there is a delay in repairing an affected vehicle, Honda and Acura dealers are authorized to provide a free loaner or rental vehicle.

Honda has made changes to corporate policies concerning loaner and rental vehicles to ensure a seamless customer experience. For example, dealers may now loan vehicles to teenage drivers, who are generally prohibited from renting or borrowing vehicles due to insurance policies. Honda has also increased associated reimbursement rates to dealers, and empowered them to loan and rent vehicles to affected customers without seeking pre-approval from Honda.
Seems pretty clear that they will provide a loaner or rental if an owner requests alternative transportation while awaiting a repair... So that's exactly what I will be requesting today.

kobbiemandd

Post by kobbiemandd » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:38 am

They will definitely provide a loaner for the duration. My dealership hooks you up with an Enterprise rental much the same was as your insurance company would. A caveat: you must leave your vehicle with the dealer or sign a waiver that you will not drive it. They do not provide you with the same type of vehicle being recalled, which in my case is a CRV. Hope this helps...

CincyGuy

Post by CincyGuy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:41 am

Just got the letter last week for my Acura. I'm wondering if the "while awaiting repair" means they'll provide a loaner/rental until the car is repaired? Anyone going for this? Seems like it could be a hassle to have a rental car for months...guess we have to weigh that with the (hopefully small) chance of death/injury!

FYI here is what it says on the Acura site as far as the "Remedy":
REMEDY:
THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. ACURA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN AN INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA'S CLIENT RELATIONS AT 1-888-382-2238, AND SELECT OPTION 4. ACURA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY2.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:50 am

I am the OP.

Called the dealership this morning. They said stop by at 5:30 pm today and they would set me up with an Enterprise rental. They said I could keep my car at their dealership or at home, but it should not be driven. I said I prefer to keep in my garage so I know it will be safe.

TWo friends of mine also just received recall letters. One called their dealership (different than mine) and was treated pretty much like me...stop in today and we will give you an Enterprise rental.

The other friend called his dealership (different than mine) and asked what kind of car they would give him. Answer was Honda is paying $30/day, so whatever you can get for that, and it probably small and probably not be a Honda product.

I do a 100 mile round trip commute daily, so the way I look at it, if I can avoid the risk of the air bag injury and put these miles on someone else's car rather than mine for a few months, it is a good thing overall. Someone mentioned it would be a hassle to have a rental car for months. I don't see it that way. The longer I can put miles on their car, the better.

One final thing...customer is responsible for insuring the rental, which in most cases would be covered by your normal auto insurance. I called my agent and had them put collision coverage on the car, which I normally do not carry. I'll drop it when I get my car back.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:58 am

Glad your dealership was relatively painless with the rental car situation. My dad had an extended rental car while his Kia was in the shop. I seem to recall that he had to go back to to the rental company after about a month to either exchange vehicles or let the rental be inspected (I forget which). But he was able to do that on a weekend, so it wasn't as much of a hassle as waiting for his car to be fixed.

The same page I linked to earlier said the wait until summer for replacement parts is just for the extra vehicles that were part of the expanded recall in February 2016. So it's possible the parts will come in sooner, and by being someone with a rental that Honda is paying for, perhaps you'll be at the front of the repair line when the parts do become available.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:42 am

Mudpuppy wrote:Glad your dealership was relatively painless with the rental car situation. My dad had an extended rental car while his Kia was in the shop. I seem to recall that he had to go back to to the rental company after about a month to either exchange vehicles or let the rental be inspected (I forget which). But he was able to do that on a weekend, so it wasn't as much of a hassle as waiting for his car to be fixed.

The same page I linked to earlier said the wait until summer for replacement parts is just for the extra vehicles that were part of the expanded recall in February 2016. So it's possible the parts will come in sooner, and by being someone with a rental that Honda is paying for, perhaps you'll be at the front of the repair line when the parts do become available.
I had thought of what you said..that Honda would take care of those with rentals first to stop those rental car bills. On the other hand, they may want to take care of the others without rentals first due to liability...people driving around in cars with dangerous airbags. I could see the logic either way. I did read that Honda paid someone to go around to salvage yards and buy up the defective airbags so they do not get used...which tells me they are really worried about the liability.

The recall notice I received said "parts will become available in the summer of 2016," so I am expecting to have this rental for at least a couple months.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:03 pm

Is there a mileage limit in respect of the rental?

I haven't called the dealer--who, as far as I can tell, is largely incompetent in regards to most matters---but I may elect to take a long road trip in a few weeks if Honda is paying a substantial portion of the transportation cost.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:33 pm

I called and made an appointment to drop off my Honda Fit this morning and I was able to drop it off at about two in the afternoon. The paperwork at the dealership was quick but it took over two hours for Enterprise to come and pick up people to get their rentals. While I was at the Enterprise office there were about a half a dozen people waiting to pick up their rental for the Honda recall since they were so busy. I got a Chevy Cruze that is larger than my Fit, they even asked me if that would be OK so it sounds like I could have gotten something else if I wanted to. I heard someone with a CRV ask for pickup truck and they were able to give that to him without any second thoughts. They were all out of SUVs because it is spring break here and lots of people rent them for spring break.

Someone asked, the rental does have unlimited millage.

It sounded like there was no way that the car would be ready before June and that it would likely be longer than that.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Watty wrote:I called and made an appointment to drop off my Honda Fit this morning and I was able to drop it off at about two in the afternoon. The paperwork at the dealership was quick but it took over two hours for Enterprise to come and pick up people to get their rentals. While I was at the Enterprise office there were about a half a dozen people waiting to pick up their rental for the Honda recall since they were so busy. I got a Chevy Cruze that is larger than my Fit, they even asked me if that would be OK so it sounds like I could have gotten something else if I wanted to. I heard someone with a CRV ask for pickup truck and they were able to give that to him without any second thoughts. They were all out of SUVs because it is spring break here and lots of people rent them for spring break.

Someone asked, the rental does have unlimited millage.
I am OP.

Stopped by Honda dealer for 5:15 appointment. They had me sign a paper agreeing not to drive my Honda CR*V. They were going to have Enterprise pick me up, but since my wife was dropping me off at the dealership and driving right by the Enterprise store on her way home, she just drove me there.

I asked the Enterprise counter person if I had any say in what car I received. She said "Not really. We are only receiving $35/day for this, so you can't be picky." (This is a small store and they did not seem to have many cars, so maybe that's why they did not seem open to alternatives.) I asked what I was getting and she said Nissan Altima, which was fine with me; I was expecting a small Kia, Chevrolet or the like. I said..."just so no mini-van." She said..."no way...they are in demand this time of year." I looked around the lot and didn't see anything I would like better than the Nissan, so it worked out fine. No limit on mileage. They told me in advance to bring proof of insurance and credit card, but then never asked for the credit card...so not sure if they forgot or what. They said the paperwork would have to be signed once a month while I had the car, and they would let me know when.

Went very smooth...must quicker than I expected. Now just have to be very careful not to get any nicks or door dings so they can't charge me. Wonder how long I will have it. Could be months.

vkfu

Post by vkfu » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Are you comfortable having your car sit idle for 4 months? I considered getting a rental while waiting for parts for my CRV, but am waffling because I'm not sure I want it to sit undriven for so long.

Bonnan

Post by Bonnan » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:38 pm

No problem, made appointment and it took less than one hour. in and out.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 am

I guess the airbag recall is widespread, my wife received the letter about her bmw last week, and I got one for my Acura the other day.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:01 am

mhalley wrote:I guess the airbag recall is widespread, my wife received the letter about her bmw last week, and I got one for my Acura the other day.
Is BMW offering you a free rental while they obtain the parts anbd and make the repair?

yoga

Post by yoga » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:30 am

Really appreciate the info in this thread. I will be calling on Friday, my car is involved. I'd prefer to leave it at home in the garage vs at Honda so will inquire about his option if it is not offered. Thanks again!

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:33 am

My Honda is recalled, and I've had a rental for a month now. I had to call Honda corporate, open a case, and they arranged everything. It was the most easy car event I've experienced.

The dealer speculated the parts would be in August at the earliest. Honda's letter stated summer. Other's on the internet report it will be late April. No worries whatever happens, as I'm happy to put the miles on the rental.

I've always been impressed how Honda takes care of their customers.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:35 am

mhalley wrote:I guess the airbag recall is widespread, my wife received the letter about her bmw last week, and I got one for my Acura the other day.
Essentially, the latest research has shown that airbag inflators using ammonium nitrate can fail if the design of the inflator does not protect that chemical from environmental humidity, such as the affected Takata inflators: http://www.autonews.com/article/2016022 ... A838CA883F

What's scary is that they are still researching if the replacement designs are any better from a safety perspective, i.e. is protecting ammonium nitrate from environmental humidity truly enough to make it a safe inflator propellant or will it still have a risk of failing catastrophically? If they find out that nothing can render ammonium nitrate safe from catastrophic failure, this airbag recall will seem like a walk in the park.

toothcarpenter

Post by toothcarpenter » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:42 am

I dropped my comprehensive insurance and only have liability since my 2009 Honda isn't worth much. How do they handle insurance for a loaner car? I obviously need some coverage, since it isn't my car, but do I have to up my limits or will they throw in the full-coverage insurance from Enterprise?

jjface

Post by jjface » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:43 am

I guess I had a really bad and unusual experience then with so much resistance to getting a rental car. I had mine done last year though and it seems like the parts were available in a couple of days then and now they are all out for months now.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:21 pm

toothcarpenter wrote:I dropped my comprehensive insurance and only have liability since my 2009 Honda isn't worth much. How do they handle insurance for a loaner car? I obviously need some coverage, since it isn't my car, but do I have to up my limits or will they throw in the full-coverage insurance from Enterprise?
You are responsible for insuring the rental. They do not throw in full coverage insurance from Enterprise.

You can call your agent and add full coverage (with low deductibles) to your daily driver. With my insurance company, it covers the rental too; I think most do, but I would ask.

As soon as you give the rental back, call your agent and have the full coverage removed and your insurance company will give you a refund for the unused part of the payment you made previously. It will cost you very little.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:What's scary is that they are still researching if the replacement designs are any better from a safety perspective, i.e. is protecting ammonium nitrate from environmental humidity truly enough to make it a safe inflator propellant or will it still have a risk of failing catastrophically? If they find out that nothing can render ammonium nitrate safe from catastrophic failure, this airbag recall will seem like a walk in the park.
Honestly, I'm debating whether to even get my Honda fixed.

It seems inconceivable to me that replacement (and safe) airbags can be manufactured quickly enough to address all of the millions of vehicles affected (plus all of the new vehicles being built every day), without any risk that the replacement airbags aren't defective as well. If the airbag goes off and it kills me, well, I guess it was my time to go anyway.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:30 pm

vkfu wrote:Are you comfortable having your car sit idle for 4 months? I considered getting a rental while waiting for parts for my CRV, but am waffling because I'm not sure I want it to sit undriven for so long.
I am ok with that. I'll put a trickle charger on it and let it set in my garage. I will probably start it and let it warm up at idle every month or two.

I have stored special interest type vehicles (hot cars, motorcycles, etc.) over the winter in the past, and this isn't really any different.

vkfu

Post by vkfu » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:34 pm

munemaker wrote:
vkfu wrote:Are you comfortable having your car sit idle for 4 months? I considered getting a rental while waiting for parts for my CRV, but am waffling because I'm not sure I want it to sit undriven for so long.
I am ok with that. I'll put a trickle charger on it and let it set in my garage. I will probably start it and let it warm up at idle every month or two.

I have stored special interest type vehicles (hot cars, motorcycles, etc.) over the winter in the past, and this isn't really any different.
Sounds reasonable. Thanks.

bru

Post by bru » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Honestly, I'm debating whether to even get my Honda fixed.
I'm with you but not for the exact same reasons.

I already had recall work related to the driver's side airbag done years ago on my Honda. They've been sending me letters for a while for more recalls. Pretty sure its for both driver's and passenger side. So the repair work they did apparently didn't take. I even got a phone call about the current recalls. Thought it was a scam after first. Never saw anything in the letters I got about them providing a rental. The first few letters implied I could get it fixed right away. I guess as the recall expanded that is no longer possible. Dealing with a long term rental car seems like a hassle. I suppose I should call and see when they can get it fixed.

Bringing it back to the financial side I noticed HMC has really taken a hit. Some of it must be related to this.
Last edited by bru on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:59 pm

2007 Honda Accord here. Took it to the dealer and they fixed the driver's side airbag within a couple hours. I thought they were doing the passenger side too but they didn't have the part so I had to take it back a week later. A little bit of a pain but it's done now.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:46 am

vkfu wrote:
munemaker wrote:

Sounds reasonable. Thanks.
One other thing...you might put StaBil in the gas. You can buy it at Wal*Mart or any auto parts store. Keeps your gas from going bad.

GregV

Post by GregV » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:03 am

My dealer has an arrangement with Enterprise for a long term rental at Honda's expense...paid for by Honda corporate, I think. You have to sign a waiver that you will not drive your vehicle. If you do (they check the mileage, apparently) you are on the hook for the rental cost. The car can be stored in the towing company's lot (outdoors) or at your house. The problem is that my auto insurance only covers rentals up to 21 days. I'm working with them on having longer coverage because this is a unique situation, but am still in negotiation. Honda pays for one rental contract, so multiple 21 day contracts are not an option. If my company won't extend coverage for the total rental term (maybe as long as 5 or 6 months), my choices are to rent for 21 days and then either get insurance through Enterprise ($20 or more per day), decide when we really need the second car and do multiple, short rentals on my own dime or keep driving our CR-V and take the risk.

It's disappointed that Honda has come up with a way to minimize the cost and hassle of the recall, but I may not be able to take full advantage of it due to restrictions in my auto insurance coverage.

Rayandron

Post by Rayandron » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:16 pm

2013 Honda Fit owner here. Turned my Honda in to the dealership for a 2015 Ford Focus. Dealer tried to say they couldn't store the vehicle on their lot, but when I asked if they would reimburse me $125/month to rent an extra parking spot in my building they changed their tune. They drove me over to Enterprise to pick up the rental and that was that. Perhaps an hour overall. Glad Honda is taking care of me as a customer.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:27 pm

I don't know a lot about cars. I am aware that there's a good chance the battery would have to be jumped if it sat for four months, so I'd park it in such a way that it would be easily accessible for a jump start. Is there some other kind of problem that could happen?

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:09 pm

GregV wrote:My dealer has an arrangement with Enterprise for a long term rental at Honda's expense...paid for by Honda corporate, I think. You have to sign a waiver that you will not drive your vehicle. If you do (they check the mileage, apparently) you are on the hook for the rental cost. The car can be stored in the towing company's lot (outdoors) or at your house. The problem is that my auto insurance only covers rentals up to 21 days. I'm working with them on having longer coverage because this is a unique situation, but am still in negotiation. Honda pays for one rental contract, so multiple 21 day contracts are not an option. If my company won't extend coverage for the total rental term (maybe as long as 5 or 6 months), my choices are to rent for 21 days and then either get insurance through Enterprise ($20 or more per day), decide when we really need the second car and do multiple, short rentals on my own dime or keep driving our CR-V and take the risk.

It's disappointed that Honda has come up with a way to minimize the cost and hassle of the recall, but I may not be able to take full advantage of it due to restrictions in my auto insurance coverage.
Actually, Enterprise contracts are limited to 30 days (says so in the contract). They will call you and tell you to come and sign a new contract. I realize 30 days is longer than 21 days.

Honda did not check the mileage on my CR*V. I don't plan on driving it while I have the rental, but I don't know how they would know if I did, unless of course, I was injured by the air bag.

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:10 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
I don't know a lot about cars. I am aware that there's a good chance the battery would have to be jumped if it sat for four months, so I'd park it in such a way that it would be easily accessible for a jump start. Is there some other kind of problem that could happen?
I suggest you put a trickle charger on the battery for long term storage.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:08 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
It is possible, but unlikely, that you could end with flat spots on the tires.

If you park in a humid location, it is likely that the brake pads will stick to the rotors and that your rotors will rust. When you put the car in drive or reverse, you will hear a very loud pop as you start to move and your rotors may be warped. For the record---this can happen in as little in 2 weeks with a CR-V that is parked in an underground heated garage during a snowy winter. Ask me how I know....

kazper

Post by kazper » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:19 pm

Not my experience, but it might be a different recall.

Mine was done same day. I contacted the dealership and they sent out for the part. When it arrived in shop, I could schedule an appointment to have it replaced.

Trying to have a Honda dealer cover a rental cost around here is darn near impossible. My wife's civic had paint peeling, which was covered under recall/warranty. At first they said they needed to keep her car for a week. Would they pay for a rental? Nope, because the issue was "cosmetic". At the end of the week we returned our car,but here still wasn't ready -they neglected to notify us of this fact. It took another 4 days for the, to finish, and they only needed to do a small part of the car.

I think quality of the dealership probably plays a factor during these types of situations. Sadly, all of the Honda dealers in my area have proven to be extremely incompetent (this is only one example, I have more...)

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:33 pm

munemaker wrote:
GregV wrote:My dealer has an arrangement with Enterprise for a long term rental at Honda's expense...paid for by Honda corporate, I think. You have to sign a waiver that you will not drive your vehicle. If you do (they check the mileage, apparently) you are on the hook for the rental cost. The car can be stored in the towing company's lot (outdoors) or at your house. The problem is that my auto insurance only covers rentals up to 21 days. I'm working with them on having longer coverage because this is a unique situation, but am still in negotiation. Honda pays for one rental contract, so multiple 21 day contracts are not an option. If my company won't extend coverage for the total rental term (maybe as long as 5 or 6 months), my choices are to rent for 21 days and then either get insurance through Enterprise ($20 or more per day), decide when we really need the second car and do multiple, short rentals on my own dime or keep driving our CR-V and take the risk.

Actually, Enterprise contracts are limited to 30 days (says so in the contract). They will call you and tell you to come and sign a new contract. I realize 30 days is longer than 21 days.

Honda did not check the mileage on my CR*V. I don't plan on driving it while I have the rental, but I don't know how they would know if I did, unless of course, I was injured by the air bag.
I checked with my insurance agent. My auto insurance covers a rental for 27 days, or...if the rental is replacing your car while it is in the shop...coverage is 30 days. Probably not a coincidence that Enterprise makes you re-sign your agreement every 30 days.

susa

Post by susa » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Just be aware that if the car is left at dealer, it may come back in worse shape than if left at home in a garage. Also, be certain to periodically warm up the engine and even drive short distance or at the very least make the tires rotate to avoid bald spots. While at it, inflate the tires to the max pressure printed on sidewalls ..

Topic Author
munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:48 pm

kazper wrote:Not my experience, but it might be a different recall.

Mine was done same day. I contacted the dealership and they sent out for the part. When it arrived in shop, I could schedule an appointment to have it replaced.

Trying to have a Honda dealer cover a rental cost around here is darn near impossible. My wife's civic had paint peeling, which was covered under recall/warranty. At first they said they needed to keep her car for a week. Would they pay for a rental? Nope, because the issue was "cosmetic". At the end of the week we returned our car,but here still wasn't ready -they neglected to notify us of this fact. It took another 4 days for the, to finish, and they only needed to do a small part of the car.

I think quality of the dealership probably plays a factor during these types of situations. Sadly, all of the Honda dealers in my area have proven to be extremely incompetent (this is only one example, I have more...)
I think you may be correct that yours was a different recall.

Honda corporate is picking up the tab on all of these and they apparently have a broad agreement with Enterprise on the rentals. I know 2 other people with CRVs that live in different areas, have different dealers, yet all cases were handled the same.

I know another guy who has one and can't see why someone would want a rental while waiting for parts/service. Well, I can drive around in my 7 year old CRV for months and take the (remote) chance of being injured by an airbag, or I can drive around in a 2016 vehicle for free with no chance of being injured by the airbag defect. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:18 pm

I was thinking of asking for a rental, but having had a car sit unused for perhaps 2 months a while back, I had to get it jump started and it also had very flat tires. In fact, I think maybe I had to get that car towed to the dealer's to get it fixed up and I could have avoided it by driving it occasionally.
I am not supposed to drive this one however according to what you are saying here. I hadn't called my dealer yet regarding a rental. They do have an Enterprise dealer a few doors down but it services a number of car dealers in the auto mall.
I tried to tell myself that the part would soon be here (2 months, though?) and my commute is pretty mild and is all surface streets.
I haven't logged in lately ... you guys have given me something to think about. I had thought the rental was just for repair time.
The car is fairly new and has about 27K miles on it.
The dealer is close by and I have some free time this week... maybe I'll have a chat over there and /or call and see when the part might arrive.

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Just saw this sad story in the news regarding Honda airbags. It was a 2002 model:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html

qui

Post by qui » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:23 pm

I'll share my experience. I have an Acura.

Went to the dealer twice. The first time I went they told me that I must leave my vehicle at home (they won't store it). They just asked me for a picture of my VIN and current mileage and said they would give me a car through Enterprise. The supply of loaner vehicles is insufficient to support this case.

Second trip, took my information in, filled out a couple forms, and they had Enterprise come pick a few of us up. Took me maybe 10-15 minutes at the dealership. No hassle, no fuss. Very impressed.

Got to Enterprise, 5 people ahead of me from Honda/Acura dealerships. Apparently the Honda dealerships are much less friendly in this experience. Enterprise was light on cars, but told me I was welcome to wait for a full size sedan (something like a Jetta, Altima, Chrysler 200, etc) as people returned them, or I could grab a minivan or pickup truck. I didn't want to wait, so I left with a 2016 F150 XLT. They also issued me an offer to swap it out for another vehicle with a phone calls notice. I was responsible for a $50 deposit, which is to be returned when the vehicle is returned.

Acura had me sign an agreement. I have to run right now, but I'll upload the verbiage later on when I have more time.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:31 pm

munemaker wrote:I got back from vacation today and in my mail was a recall notice for my Honda due to the airbag. Parts won't be available until sometime this summer. There is some vague language about alternative transportation. I am wondering if Honda has provided loaners or paid for rentals until dealers receive parts and fix the vehicle. Anyone have experience with this?

I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow.
Very good question!

I have been ignoring my airbag recall notices on my Element (laziness), but it would seem that there would be a lot of corporate liability if they recognized and acknowledged a potentially lethal problem and could not get it fixed immediately.

I'm going to look into that. Thanks for the heads up.

re: storage.....I have left my 2006 Element unused every winter since 2009 for between two and five months per year. All I have done is disconnect the battery cables. The car sits exposed in my driveway. I live in Massachusetts so we have rough winters....2014-15 was the roughest on record. Every year the car has started up immediately upon my return in the spring. The worst I have experienced is some corrosion on the brake pads resulting in a grinding noise for awhile when I return that goes away with time....my mechanic told me not to worry about it.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:54 pm

virgingorda wrote:Just saw this sad story in the news regarding Honda airbags. It was a 2002 model:
Very tragic. This is not something to ignore, no matter how low you believe the odds are.

Cindyjrn

Post by Cindyjrn » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:00 pm

A friend of mine got a rental car for his daughter last week and they told him they won't have parts until May or June at the earliest. I think he just took the vehicle home and they'll call him when parts come in. This is in SoCal from DCH Honda I believe.

Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:15 pm

My dealership hooked me with enterprise rental. I had a lot of choice. I actually got a 2016 chevy tahoe.

richardglm

Post by richardglm » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:19 am

ClevrChico wrote:
virgingorda wrote:Just saw this sad story in the news regarding Honda airbags. It was a 2002 model:
Very tragic. This is not something to ignore, no matter how low you believe the odds are.
I 100% agree. This is not the time to be concerned about some of the lesser issues mentioned. As risky as driving already is, this airbag issue is a substantial added danger. It doesn't matter how good or defensive a driver you are, either: if you have defective airbags, you seem at risk. The most recent death appears to be from a low speed collision. We might not know until later how significant the danger really is.

Shald

Post by Shald » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:57 am

You can look up existing recalls on your vehicle by VIN here: http://www.safercar.gov

pablolo

Post by pablolo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:02 am

I had no problems getting a rental when my Honda was recalled. I have 2 dogs and am hesitant about putting them in a rental. Any suggestions?