Tesla Model 3 anyone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
slbnoob

Tesla Model 3 anyone?

Post by slbnoob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:58 am

Anyone thinking of putting in $1000 to reserve a spot this Mar 31st?

LAlearning

Re: Tesla Model 3 anyone?

Post by LAlearning » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:04 pm

Nope.

Well that was fun.
I know nothing!

summit

Post by summit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:42 pm

Yes, we plan on it. Can't wait to never buy gas again.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:57 pm

No. With ongoing gas reward points buying gift cards at the grocery store....that are easily liquidated, I haven't paid more than 1.9 cents a gallon for a while now. Stopping tonight to get my 67 cents worth (35 gallons). Plus electricity in New England is some of the highest in the country since power plants are mostly natural gas powered.....and natural gas here is 3 times the national average.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

crit

Post by crit » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:59 pm

I'm a commitmentphobe so no deposit for a 2017 car, thanks, but I'm hoping it will be in the mix of our future options.

Right now we have a 2012 VW diesel that I'd like to keep but will have to wait to see what happens; and a 2002 VW with 200k miles on it that we've been expecting to go at any time (but could last another year). Spouse works at home, but that is always subject to change. So we could need 0, 1 or 2 cars in the next year.

I don't think we'd do a single-family car as the Tesla 3, as one thing we do ~weekly is to drive 150 miles to a nature area with no charging opportunities at all, do stuff outdoors all day, then drive home.

whadyaknow

Post by whadyaknow » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm considering putting down a deposit. It's fully refundable, if you back out as far as I can tell.
80/20 Stock/Bond

susze

Post by susze » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Very optimistic on this and tesla but I think that most people who buy this car will esentially be beta testers for them in terms of the hardware and should expect thag. Good thing is they push up software updates regularly

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:47 pm

Yes, I'm planning on it.
Steve

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:53 pm

I'm getting my Model X this week, and even if I convince my wife to get a Tesla, I think she'll want a Model X for herself, so aside from maybe a gifted deposit for one of the kids, no direct benefit to me.

I am a Tesla fanboy, and think that Elon Musk is a genius. That said, he is not a master of sticking to a schedule (eg, my MX deposit was made almost 3 years ago, and the car was supposed to be available ... soon).

As it happens, my deposit bumped me up a little bit in line for the MX, but only because I selected a configuration that matched what parts were available and resulted in a high margin vehicle. If you can afford it, and believe in EV vehicles as the way to go, put down a deposit. It's not hugely pricey and you will have a rooting interest in the release of the car. Don't, however, do it if you expect to be at the head of the line for a stripped-down Model 3.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Raploch

Post by Raploch » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:54 pm

No, but will check it out after it is shown to the public. I own a Volt right now, 20,000 plus miles on 20 gallons of gas.
Got a 30 mile commute to/from work and solar on the house. So am petty happy with the Volt. More interested in the talk about a Model 3 crossover.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:55 pm

whadyaknow wrote:I'm considering putting down a deposit. It's fully refundable, if you back out as far as I can tell.
You can back out with full refund, but (if they treat it the same as Model S and X, which I expect), you cannot sell your spot in line to someone else. Tbh, that seems reasonable.

Topic Author
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Yeah, the deposit is fully refundable, non-transferable etc. The terms on those are similar to the those with the S and X.

The issue with not being among the first few buyers is the retirement of the 7500 federal tax credit after 200k units are sold. Tesla expects this to happen sometime in 2018. Depending on the response to the Model 3 unveiling and initial deliveries, the federal tax credit may not be there for a second iteration or even a late buyer of the this first version.

For the sake of discussion, I hope this thread does not devolve into gas versus EV or buy pre-owned vs new. It's not always about saving money and being financially independent asap. We're bogleheads on a spectrum.

ps: fellow Tesla and Elon fanboy here :)

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:11 pm

slbnoob wrote:Yeah, the deposit is fully refundable, non-transferable etc. The terms on those are similar to the those with the S and X.

The issue with not being among the first few buyers is the retirement of the 7500 federal tax credit after 200k units are sold. Tesla expects this to happen sometime in 2018. Depending on the response to the Model 3 unveiling and initial deliveries, the federal tax credit may not be there for a second iteration or even a late buyer of the this first version.

For the sake of discussion, I hope this thread does not devolve into gas versus EV or buy pre-owned vs new. It's not always about saving money and being financially independent asap. We're bogleheads on a spectrum.

ps: fellow Tesla and Elon fanboy here :)
I wouldn't count on the tax credit. If it happens, it's icing on the cake. If not, the price and performance should be competitive on its own right. I think they might even reach the 200K units before the Model 3 comes out.
Steve

Topic Author
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Longdog wrote: I wouldn't count on the tax credit. If it happens, it's icing on the cake. If not, the price and performance should be competitive on its own right. I think they might even reach the 200K units before the Model 3 comes out.
That is not consistent with Tesla's guidance on this issue. Even though Tesla doesn't release actual sales figures, there are various 'estimates' going around. They key point is 200k US sales. Most expect it to at least stay around Q2 2017 and get phased out completely by Q2 2018 or later. For a boglehead, I guess the tax credit matters (at least for me :D). But I agree with you, even otherwise, the price is expected to be competitive on its own in its class.

Working2notWork

Post by Working2notWork » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:38 pm

slbnoob wrote:Anyone thinking of putting in $1000 to reserve a spot this Mar 31st?
Thinking about it. My '06 Corolla is dying a slow death. Might be perfect timing for us!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:38 pm

slbnoob wrote:
Longdog wrote: I wouldn't count on the tax credit. If it happens, it's icing on the cake. If not, the price and performance should be competitive on its own right. I think they might even reach the 200K units before the Model 3 comes out.
That is not consistent with Tesla's guidance on this issue. Even though Tesla doesn't release actual sales figures, there are various 'estimates' going around. They key point is 200k US sales. Most expect it to at least stay around Q2 2017 and get phased out completely by Q2 2018 or later. For a boglehead, I guess the tax credit matters (at least for me :D). But I agree with you, even otherwise, the price is expected to be competitive on its own in its class.
I regarded the tax credit as icing on the X, and it is even more the case on the Model 3. A few dollars to charge every night at home, free Superchargers and destination chargers, no more oil changes, incredibly reduced number of moving parts resulting in very low maintenance, world-class safety capabilities in a moderately priced car, etc., and I think the car stands on its own merits economically.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm very tempted. Might have to do more research...
Last edited by fareastwarriors on Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:37 pm

No. We just took delivery of our Model S late last November, and one vehicle is good for us now (sold our two cars, but still have a Suburban sitting in the driveway connected to a battery maintainer, since we almost never drive it).

I'm thinking that when the warranty runs out on our Model S in four years from last November, I'll probably be wanting to upgrade to the next generation hardware that I assume will be available by then, and after Model S, I don't think a Model 3 would cut it for us. I may also splurge a bit more for a larger battery and one of the higher performance levels. Although the 70D is plenty fast and has plenty of range (just did a 6-day road trip from SF Bay Area to LA area and back), every now and then I get a little envious of the P85D or P90D next to me at a supercharger.

Regarding gas and all that, I have to admit that what mainly sold me on the car was how fun it is to drive (or not drive when on full AutoPilot), but it is nice to drive a few hundred miles on a road trip without having to spend a dime on gas (or electricity for that matter).

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:47 pm

We're doing it! We've been driving electric since 1997: EV1, the original RAV-4EV, and then the 2013 RAV4-EV. Zero repairs in all that time; the beta-siting days are over IMHO, and full torque from a standing stop is hard to walk away from.
Last edited by BBBob on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:47 pm

More interested in the X. Can't justify the price though.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Watts

Post by Watts » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Yes, putting a deposit down. Big fan of Tesla.

petiejoe

Post by petiejoe » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:20 pm

On 3/31, my wife will drive me to work and then head to the Tesla store down the street from work to pay the deposit. There are a few things that might make me change my mind later, but I'm optimistic that they'll deliver a solid offering. It's a bit more than I would probably pay for a car otherwise, but I have a list of justifications ready to go. I've wanted a Tesla since they first announced the S, but I couldn't quite make my justification list long enough for that expensive of a car.

I actually hope that they charge per use for supercharger access on model 3s. If the 3s take off, I don't want my road trips delayed because a bunch of locals want free electric power.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:03 pm

petiejoe wrote: I actually hope that they charge per use for supercharger access on model 3s. If the 3s take off, I don't want my road trips delayed because a bunch of locals want free electric power.
I would not be surprised if the Model 3 only had free Supercharger access some specified minimum distance from home.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:05 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:More interested in the X. Can't justify the price though.
C'mon doc, sometimes the heart wants what it wants, and justification isn't the point :D

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:14 pm

It is in my calendar, coincidentally, I will be visiting family in LA, about five miles from the dealer. Otherwise, I am about 180 miles from the closest.

What do I have to lose? The alternative is to buy a used S but it is a bit too much of a statement for me to make in my community. I know I should give two sh**s, but there it is.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Topic Author
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:39 pm

I've been a follower of Tesla since 2009 or so. Been waiting for an affordable EV, since I don't see myself in the S or X in the foreseeable future. Still have difficulty justifying a new car since the oldest car in our household (03 Rav4, 130k miles) drives just fine. We'll see what happens by Q2 2018, the earliest I expect deliveries of the base Model 3 to begin. The way I'm justifying it, the deposited $1k will be a part of my emergency money, parked in a checking account, not earning 1%, or $20 in the next 2 years :)

ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:16 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:No. With ongoing gas reward points buying gift cards at the grocery store....that are easily liquidated, I haven't paid more than 1.9 cents a gallon for a while now.
Actually, you are paying the normal price for gas, probably even more. You're not taking into account opportunity cost.

For example, you could have a Citi Double Cash card that gives you 2% cash on all purchases, but instead your reward rate is probably around 1% and you're using it to pay for gas instead of for other things.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:46 am

I'm all-in.

Been patiently waiting since I'm too cheap to spend $100k on the S.

roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:17 am

Yup. My wife may also plunk down $1000 for a reservation. Depending on the specs, cost, and build date/availability of the tax credit, I may look into a CPO Model S instead. I'm also making purchase of any EV contingent on having installed PV panels (DIY, otherwise the cost is too high).

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 am

I'll be putting down the deposit for a 3. I love my S, but without kids, there is no need for two; plus, while I like the bigger S, the 3 would replace the Lexus IS, so a smaller car is preferred.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:14 pm

yes!!

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Is the rumored $35K price before or after the $7K tax break?

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:18 pm

wrongfunds wrote:Is the rumored $35K price before or after the $7K tax break?
$35k price is before incentives. However, the $7.5k federal tax credit is only for the first 200k US buyers. If you live in CA, you may also qualify for another $2.5k tax credit (up to $4k if you have lower household income but then why would you be buying a Tesla).

So, for early CA buyers with an household income less than $500k, the Tesla Model 3 is $25k. Tempted? I know I am.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:30 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
$35k price is before incentives. However, the $7.5k federal tax credit is only for the first 200k US buyers. If you live in CA, you may also qualify for another $2.5k tax credit (up to $4k if you have lower household income but then why would you be buying a Tesla).

So, for early CA buyers with an household income less than $500k, the Tesla Model 3 is $25k. Tempted? I know I am.
In NJ, Tesla is sales tax exempt. Look up your state https://www.teslamotors.com/support/incentives

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:07 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:More interested in the X. Can't justify the price though.
C'mon doc, sometimes the heart wants what it wants, and justification isn't the point :D
Right, but I'd get more fun out of a $120K boat than a $120K car. Or 12 European vacations. Or 6 European vacations and all new windows and doors in the house. So I can't justify it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:14 pm

I would consider it if I hadn't purchased a 2015 CR-V last year. Not in the market for a car now, but would looking forward to seeing them on the streets.

stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:20 pm

most likely will put down a deposit online after the reveal... i think it will still be hard to justify that much money for a car, even 2 years from now, but i'm a huge fan, and excited that other manufacturers are feeling pressured to make affordable long range EVs too.

looking forward to ending my commute by pulling into my garage and plugging in. the simplicity of EVs is just beautiful.
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:52 pm

mervinj7 wrote:

That's the "lower household income" threshold? under $500k... wow.

Now I'm even more tempted.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:05 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Right, but I'd get more fun out of a $120K boat than a $120K car. Or 12 European vacations. Or 6 European vacations and all new windows and doors in the house. So I can't justify it.
Exactly. I'm not exactly sure how a Tesla is going to make driving to work and back more exciting for me.

I spent my fun money on a boat and a jetski instead.

ronako

Post by ronako » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Nope. I wouldn't buy a first gen car especially when Tesla doesn't have enough history.

Also, consumer reports says the Model S is less reliable than the average car.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:54 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
mervinj7 wrote:

That's the "lower household income" threshold? under $500k... wow.

Now I'm even more tempted.
Just to clarify the income-based tax credits for California that are effective as of March 29, 2016:
Income under 3x federal poverty level: $4000
Income over 3x federal poverty level and under $500k (joint filers): $2500
Income over $500k (joint filers): $0

Source: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/info ... it-changes
Full disclosure: I work for a company that produces parts for Teslas (as well as most modern cars with electronics).

jdb

Post by jdb » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:56 pm

ronako wrote:Nope. I wouldn't buy a first gen car especially when Tesla doesn't have enough history.

Also, consumer reports says the Model S is less reliable than the average car.
Of course. No question, will be making reservation. Have first gen Model S now with almost 40K miles, still exceeds expectations. Looking forward to Model X delivery next month so wife will give me back the Model S when she drives the MX. Probably end up giving Model 3 to one of our 3 adult children but after driving the Tesla vehicles never want to buy an ICE car again. OTOH as empty nesters nothing wrong with downsizing, good chance will like the smaller vehicle and trade in older MS. Also most reliable and least mechanical issue car ever owned. Highly recommend.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I highly doubt if tesla can meet that timeline. I am interested in one but will not be reserving.
I am also looking at Bolt(For a change, Detroit impressed me). I am sure they will go super cheap used, 6 months after release which will coincide with model 3 release. :happy
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:33 pm

HomerJ wrote:I'm not exactly sure how a Tesla is going to make driving to work and back more exciting for me.
You might be surprised. On full AutoPilot, driving the Tesla in commute traffic is much more relaxing, since it does all the stop and go or slow and go without you having to touch any pedal, and barely touch the steering wheel. Using AP in traffic makes driving in traffic kind of fun.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

wander

Post by wander » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Kevin M wrote: You might be surprised. On full AutoPilot, driving the Tesla in commute traffic is much more relaxing, since it does all the stop and go or slow and go without you having to touch any pedal, and barely touch the steering wheel. Using AP in traffic makes driving in traffic kind of fun.

Kevin
Do you know if they will include autopilot in car with this $30,000 price range?

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:20 am

Kevin M wrote:
HomerJ wrote:I'm not exactly sure how a Tesla is going to make driving to work and back more exciting for me.
You might be surprised. On full AutoPilot, driving the Tesla in commute traffic is much more relaxing, since it does all the stop and go or slow and go without you having to touch any pedal, and barely touch the steering wheel. Using AP in traffic makes driving in traffic kind of fun.

Kevin
About as fun as riding a bus, except I'd be 10 times more nervous (at least for the first few months)

I don't need to spend $120k to go from Point A to Point B. I can listen to the radio and drive myself fairly mindlessly now.

Now, the Model 3... I'll look at it when it comes out... But I'll need a new car in about a year (when I give my old Honda Civic to my last kid), and I don't think the Model 3 will be out by then... So I'll probably have to wait 10 years before I ever get a fully electric car.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:40 am

wander wrote:
Kevin M wrote: You might be surprised. On full AutoPilot, driving the Tesla in commute traffic is much more relaxing, since it does all the stop and go or slow and go without you having to touch any pedal, and barely touch the steering wheel. Using AP in traffic makes driving in traffic kind of fun.

Kevin
Do you know if they will include autopilot in car with this $30,000 price range?
The autopilot hardware will be there. It is likely going to carry a software activation fee around $2,500 like the S and X do currently.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:43 am

HomerJ wrote: I don't need to spend $120k to go from Point A to Point B. I can listen to the radio and drive myself fairly mindlessly now.
I just wanted to note that it need not cost $120k. Mine cost $60k for the S85 (265 mile range) and I know someone else who paid $60k as well for an S85 with AutoPilot. I know someone who bought an S60 (208 mile range) for $40k (though I do not believe this had AutoPilot). In these 3 cases, we bought CPO. However, even new a S70 could be had for $70k brand new.

Still not cheap by any means, but I just wanted to mention that it could be much cheaper than $120k.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:16 am

Anyone who compares driving a tesla to riding a bus either has not driven a tesla, or has a very different sensory experience than I do.

Still grinning. 8-)

Kevin

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:20 am

Kevin M wrote:Anyone who compares driving a tesla to riding a bus either has not driven a tesla, or has a very different sensory experience than I do.

Still grinning. 8-)

Kevin
Or has not ridden a bus. :happy

While I have been following Tesla for some time, I was originally skeptical that the Model S was anything more than a typical luxury vehicle that happened to be electric... until I reluctantly drove one at an EV event and was blown away. Ever since then, I've been anxiously awaiting the introduction of the Model 3. Model S is a phenomenal car, but too big and expensive for my "entry luxury" taste. :sharebeer
Steve