fasting for better health

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
selftalk

fasting for better health

Post by selftalk »

Has anyone out there fasted for better health ?
InvestorNewb

Re: fasting for better health

Post by InvestorNewb »

How does fasting lead to better health?

I suspect this thread will be locked soon because health topics are not allowed.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Check out the nutrition thread. Yes, I have, and there are thousands of available resources for further information and research with a simple Google search.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

If you're going to jump on a trend, you may as well look at the science behind it. There usually isn't any. There is no reason to fast for better health. If you find something in a peer-reviewed, respected medical publication, please post it here.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I've never seen a faster who looked healthy. Eat the right foods and I doubt you'll ever have any need to fast.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

The big advantage to fasting is that you can claim to be on a gluten-free diet at the same time. Two trends at once! Very efficient.
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa, CA specializes in fasting. Many MDs and RDs on staff. Check out their website for interesting research/articles.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

boomergeneration wrote:TrueNorth Health Center in Santa Rosa, CA specializes in fasting. Many MDs and RDs on staff. Check out their website for interesting research/articles.
From their site:
SERVICES AVAILABLE

Medical care
Chiropractic care
Naturopathic care
Massage
Acupuncture
Daily educational lectures
Fitness classes
Cooking demonstrations
Bolding added for emphasis.
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

I think the staff is equally divided among Medical Doctors, Registered Dieticians, Chiropractors, and Massage Therapists. I haven't been there, but I heard the founder speak at The International Plant-Based Nutrition Conference last year and he gave an excellent presentation.
praxis

Post by praxis »

Artsdoctor wrote:There is no reason to fast for better health. If you find something in a peer-reviewed, respected medical publication, please post it here.
I'm not sure there are no reasons to fast for better health. I have reasons to fast for better health. Simply spacing my meals further apart changes my daily calorie intake and for me, raises my awareness of food when I do eat. The result, for me, is that I keep my body weight inside a healthy range and tend to pay attention to what I eat. Some people call it fasting to space out their meals. Most days, I fast between about 7PM until about noon the next day. I have not found compelling evidence that fasting "cleans toxins or cleans out your system". There are many claims for these benefits, but they are not why I do it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Artsdoctor wrote:If you're going to jump on a trend, you may as well look at the science behind it. There usually isn't any. There is no reason to fast for better health. If you find something in a peer-reviewed, respected medical publication, please post it here.
It is definitely a trend, as such it is one of the hottest areas of nutrition research. There are dozens of entire websites devoted to the contemporary peer-reviewed research behind fasting, both the good and the bad aspects. Or you could just do a search on Pubmed and go through the over 5,000 recent studies on the topic which were published in well known journals. Let me help you http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=fasting
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

This is an interesting article from Harper's magazine on the benefits of fasting:

http://harpers.org/archive/2012/03/star ... -to-vigor/

You may not be able to access the article from the above link, but a Google search will turn up other sources for the pdf. Like this one:

https://cloudup.com/cgrXJBHXyeo
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I occasionally fast for a day or two at a time because it makes me feel a lot better. I'm not sure it's better for my health or anything, but I enjoy it.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

No.
Food in moderation as everything is one of the pleasures of Life :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Paul78

Post by Paul78 »

I used intermittent fasting.

I eat/drink all of my calories in a 2-3 hour window after work. Then fast for the other 21-22 hours of the day. I lost 45 lbs with this method over a 4-5 month period.

Personally I enjoy this method because if allows me to still feel "full" at once a day even though I am on a diet. My one meal of the day generally consist of 1400-1600 calories. My body adjusted to this method after a week or two.
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

I lost 234lbs and eating food (the right foods) is key.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Forum Policies

Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
As mentioned earlier, here's a related thread: Don't understand nutrition and exercise
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.