Be alert [for scam calls pretending to be from] Vanguard

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boater07

Be alert [for scam calls pretending to be from] Vanguard

Post by boater07 »

A couple of days ago, my wife got a call from V. The gent sounded very normal[not like the computer fixers].
He had both our names but needed to verify our login info. Fortunately, she had no clue and asked him to call back
in half an hour. Didn't hear back so I called V directly. They had no record of any calls to us.
This was obviously a phishing attempt.
Hopefully, I would have been alert enough not to give any details. Afterall-they called us.
Now I'm wondering where they got our names and phone number?
fabdog

Re: Be alert on calls from Vanguard

Post by fabdog »

They may have been truly "fishing"

I've gotten two similar calls in the last year claiming to be Bank of America and asking for login/account details. Except no accounts at Bank of America. So they had our names and number and guessing on institution

Mike
SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe »

Very concerning that! I'm on vacation and using the resorts WiFi network. I've been getting pop-ups, even though I have that device turned off , with blurbs that I can't delete. They always say that I Was picked at random and lucky me just won $100.00 bucks from Apple, Walmart or Etc.. So I click OK just so that I can then delete the snake! Trouble is my IPad has slowed down considerably even though I am going to reset, and deleting, closing Apps. Real frustrating and I'm watching my various accounts and credit cards for any unusual activity! Real slimy crooks out there in ether land,...
SeeMoe.. :shock:
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

SeeMoe wrote:Very concerning that! I'm on vacation and using the resorts WiFi network. I've been getting pop-ups, even though I have that device turned off , with blurbs that I can't delete. They always say that I Was picked at random and lucky me just won $100.00 bucks from Apple, Walmart or Etc.. So I click OK just so that I can then delete the snake! Trouble is my IPad has slowed down considerably even though I am going to reset, and deleting, closing Apps. Real frustrating and I'm watching my various accounts and credit cards for any unusual activity! Real slimy crooks out there in ether land,...
Hotel/resorts/airport WiFi hot spots are notorious for hackers gathering information. If you must use these, use them with a VPN. Or if you have a mobile data plan, create your own secure WiFi hot spot.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

Vanguard itself has problems with this. A few years ago, I had a phone message, "This is John from Vanguard, trying to contact you about your IRA contribution. Please call me back at the following number." I didn't call back at that number, because I couldn't connect the number with Vanguard; instead, I called the main Vanguard number to handle the issue.
Wiki David Grabiner
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

The title is a misnomer. You're not getting calls from Vanguard. You're getting calls from someone pretending to be from Vanguard.
Gordon
Toons

Post by Toons »

Beware,Beware
Be Aware
:shock:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
kenner

Post by kenner »

gkaplan wrote:The title is a misnomer. You're not getting calls from Vanguard. You're getting calls from someone pretending to be from Vanguard.
Great point!

I wonder if OP can change the title?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Be alert [for scam calls pretending to be from] Vanguard

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues (scam). Scam tactics are common, so we normally close them down. See: Standard Phishing/Scam Threads are now Off-Topic

However, this is the first one I've heard regarding Vanguard - which is very relevant to this forum. Let's keep this one open for a while. Please stay focused on Vanguard.
kenner wrote:Great point!

I wonder if OP can change the title?
The OP of any thread can change the title by editing the Subject: line in Post #1. A moderator can also change the thread title, which I've done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
kenner

Post by kenner »

Thank you, Lady Geek.
Topic Author
boater07

Post by boater07 »

gkaplan wrote:The title is a misnomer. You're not getting calls from Vanguard. You're getting calls from someone pretending to be from Vanguard.
Picky,Picky
I think my post clearly stated what happened. My object was to alert people to be on alert for calls supposedly from V.
I guess titles have to tell the whole story :confused

thank you Lady Geek for the title modification
SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe »

sk.dolcevita wrote:
SeeMoe wrote:Very concerning that! I'm on vacation and using the resorts WiFi network. I've been getting pop-ups, even though I have that device turned off , with blurbs that I can't delete. They always say that I Was picked at random and lucky me just won $100.00 bucks from Apple, Walmart or Etc.. So I click OK just so that I can then delete the snake! Trouble is my IPad has slowed down considerably even though I am going to reset, and deleting, closing Apps. Real frustrating and I'm watching my various accounts and credit cards for any unusual activity! Real slimy crooks out there in ether land,...
Hotel/resorts/airport WiFi hot spots are notorious for hackers gathering information. If you must use these, use them with a VPN. Or if you have a mobile data plan, create your own secure WiFi hot spot.
Oops! Did not have the "VPN" turned on! Thank you, sir!
SeeMoe.. :idea:
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

fabdog wrote:They may have been truly "fishing"

I've gotten two similar calls in the last year claiming to be Bank of America and asking for login/account details. Except no accounts at Bank of America. So they had our names and number and guessing on institution
I'm not sure Vanguard has a big enough market presence to warrant random phishing like Bank of America. But there are other ways for a theft ring to find out the OP has accounts at Vanguard. And if the OP has a landline, phone numbers are exceedingly easy to find for landlines. The theft ring could also find out someone's cell phone number, just not as easily.

If the OP has not contacted the police about this, I would suggest calling the non-emergency number (found in the phone book or on their website) and filing a report. This might be a local ID theft ring, in which case the local police would be interested, particularly if they get multiple reports of similar scam calls.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

I'm resurrecting this thread because it seems Vanguard scammers remain active. This is from the Guardian so it may or may not apply outside the UK.

Nevertheless the article is a good reminder to stay alert. What I find particularly interesting is that the victim apparently Googled on Vanguard and got the scammer's version of the website. That means that these scammers seem to have found a way to get their listing a high rank in Google's search results.

Retired detective lost life savings in a ‘clone firm’ investment scam
This year, when we were comparing interest rates, a relative recommended Vanguard. We Googled the website, emailed for information, and received a prompt response which included a brochure detailing a fixed-interest high-yield bond at 2.12%...

I have taken a look at the correspondence sent to you by the fraudsters and, frankly, I wouldn’t have twigged either. The company logo, address and number match those of the real Vanguard, and the layout and tone of the letters and certificates are convincing. Moreover, unlike other victims whose money vanishes as soon as they transfer, you were able to see your “investments” online for four days. One clue was that the brochure said bonds were only available at the advertised interest rates for another 24 hours. Scammers always try to rush victims into shelling out...

The real Vanguard told me that it was aware of a number of attempts to impersonate it and that it reports all scams to the regulators...
fposte

Post by fposte »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:34 pm What I find particularly interesting is that the victim apparently Googled on Vanguard and got the scammer's version of the website. That means that these scammers seem to have found a way to get their listing a high rank in Google's search results.
That is unfortunately quite common these days; a lot of financial and tech support scams work like that.
celia

Post by celia »

But once you land on the ‘Vanguard’ website, what is the url? Does it have ‘Vanguard.com’ embedded into other characters? Or a different extension that a financial company wouldn’t use?
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

fposte wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:37 pm That is unfortunately quite common these days; a lot of financial and tech support scams work like that.
Of course. But this site sounds like it was more of a pop-up operation rather than a semi-permanent fixture. So how did they manage to get high enough in Google's rankings quickly to attract people who naively searched for something like "Vanguard?"
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

celia wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:53 pm But once you land on the ‘Vanguard’ website, what is the url? Does it have ‘Vanguard.com’ embedded into other characters? Or a different extension that a financial company wouldn’t use?
I suspect it's the same issue as with phishing emails. People click on a link that's labelled "Vanguard" without looking at the URL. And even if they looked, how would they know that something like, say, https:// www. vanguardfunds. com [fake link broken by admin LadyGeek] isn't the real Vanguard?
fposte

Post by fposte »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:45 pm
fposte wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:37 pm That is unfortunately quite common these days; a lot of financial and tech support scams work like that.
Of course. But this site sounds like it was more of a pop-up operation rather than a semi-permanent fixture. So how did they manage to get high enough in Google's rankings quickly to attract people who naively searched for something like "Vanguard?"

Right, that’s what they are, because they get shut down fast. Often they pay to get listed in the ad results rather than worry about SEO.