Dishwasher recommendation.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jackson12

Dishwasher recommendation.

Post by Jackson12 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Our beloved dishwasher is 23 years old and still manages to limp along and get the dishes done but we can tell it is about to die. A wonderful repairman taught me how to fix some small issues myself - opening hose connections to blow out clogs, etc .With his suggestions, we avoided repair bills for another 5'years.

This time around, he says it would become too expensive to keep the dishwasher going. So I'd appreciate recommendations for some brands,p and price ranges.We want something in a medium price range, preferably relatively quiet (although our current dishwasher is plenty noisy)

I admit i am very intimidated when it comes to buying major appliances.

For example, our double ovens,among the highest rated through Conumer Reports,had a control panel which continually broke. Our cooktop, with equally high ratings, heats unevenly....and so on.

Kenkat

Re: Dishwasher recommendation.

Post by Kenkat » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:48 pm

You will see a lot of recommendations here for Bosch, some for Miele and scattered recommendations for other brands as well.

We have a Bosch that we are pretty pleased with overall; I have heard mixed reviews on their Ascenta line, which is the entry level / least expensive they sell. We bought a 500 Series instead that has a number of nice features.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:56 pm

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

daveatca

Bosch

Post by daveatca » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Bosch
Buy one with a list price >$950 USD.
You get quieter the more you spend.
Worth it.
Be sure to use both the recommended detergent and rinse agent.
There is also a "secret" cycle extension that helps plastic items get drier.

38 dB
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/d ... T75UC.html
Last edited by daveatca on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:46 pm

I replaced a 20 year old GE with a run of the mill Whirlpool/Maytag.

The new DW is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the old one; I really can't hear the new one, it cleans better and it has better features. Not sure what more I could want from a DW for more money. I really like the delay feature that allows you to press start +2hr which will make the DW go on in 2 hours. However it is so quiet that the feature is not really necessary.

The one thing I would look for is a utensil basket in the door, or in the middle front of the lower drawer. Anything else is just a pain.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:56 pm

Our old dishwasher worked wonderfully for years and finally died. We bought a Kitchenaid and it was a disaster. It didn't clean the dishes and was constantly breaking down. We splurged and bought a Bosch. Very reliable and quiet. Best of all, our dishes are clean. :happy

walletless

Post by walletless » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:19 pm

You might want to ask the dish washer repair man too. We have a Bosch & love it (super quite, cleans & dries well), but it's very difficult to find a repairmen in our area who services Bosch. Your area might be a bit different, so YMMV.

Maytag & Kitchenaid are the two brands that almost all well rated repair outfits in my area services. I'll likely go with one if these brands for my next DW if I had to replace the Bosch.

If your home has hard water, you might want to consider one of the higher-end models with these brands that have a built-in softener. Bosch 800 series have them, but I'm sure Kitchenaid & Maytag have similar models too.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:25 pm

I have had NOTHING but trouble with the Maytag... wish I never bought it.... Our next one will be Bosch....

Have issues with Maytag fridge and dryer, we used to think it was a quality brand.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:46 pm

Appliance manufacturers are about halfway through a multi-decade long battle to convince people these are generally disposable products -- not repairable products.

"Resistance is futile ..."

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:43 pm

We bought the Kenmore that Consumer Reports recommended. It has never gotten a load of dishes completely clean in 2 years of daily washes. And don't get me started about the number of plastic parts on the inside that have broken, or just fallen off and disappeared. I shouldn't have to know that parts for my 2 year old dishwasher are available on Amazon.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:22 am

I don't think any dishwasher can clean dirty dishes. I rinse and brush the food from the dishes and utensils before putting them in the dishwasher. Any film left on them will be cleaned by a cheap model. My in-laws own a restaurant and their high powered commercial dishwasher will not clean filthy dishes that have not been properly rinsed before being run through the dishwasher. We don't have to run the dishwasher daily since we rarely have a complete load. When it's full, we wash and dry them without touching them. This is more sanitary than drying them with a towel. Furthermore, any clogging of the drain is eliminated.

DMW

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:00 am

I also was unhappy with a highly rated Kenmore. Many parts broke. Three, or maybe it was four, repairs in the first 4 years. Disappointing, because our old Kenmore in our old house was rock solid.

We bought a Bosch in our newest house. It's fantastic. It is so quiet we cannot tell it is on even in the same room. We did not spend over $950 and we are still happy with it.

And contrary to the above opinion, it washes dried on, caked on dirty dishes without even a presoak. They are spotless. It does help to use decent quality soap, and to make sure your water is hot enough.

atfish

Post by atfish » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:44 am

very happy with our BOSCH. very quite

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks, everyone ! These posts are very reassuring. Our double oven and our cook top have been such disappointments that I yearn for the old but wonderful stove in my parents' home. They are deceased and the stove went to the new homeowners - who are still using it ( smart move on their part).

I'm probably the only one who goes to open houses and loves seeing certain models of older stoves rather than many of the ones made today.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:44 pm

And some of the older dishwashers too.

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:55 pm

We replaced our KitchenAid dishwasher with a Bosch about 2 years ago. Great choice, incredibly quiet. A third bonus is that I'm a ham radio operator and there's no radio interference. Many of today's new energy saving appliances generate RFI.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:56 pm

We got this one. Replaced our old Bosch which we had been very happy with. I was lucky to get it off Kijiji for less than half retail sale price from someone who had won it at a Home Show. Was still in all it's packing and full warranty. Otherwise I would have bought a less expensive Bosch.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Bosch Ascenta from AJ Madison. If you can wait 10-14 days for it to be shipped it's worth the wait. Every household in my extended family bought one in December when they had a bonus $75 Visa gift card on top of the savings, bringing the price down to $369 with free shipping and no sales tax. Gotta love it. http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/SHE3AR7.html

daveatca

quiet is very important to me

Post by daveatca » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:41 pm

boffalora wrote:Bosch Ascenta
Not a fan.
50 dB. http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/d ... R75UC.html
Our builder put one in and we replaced it after 1.5 years,
It did a very good job cleaning, but the noise was annoying.
Our current Bosch is 44 dB.
Our next Bosch will be under 40 dB because I hate noise. http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/d ... T75UC.html
You may feel differently.
Last edited by daveatca on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:46 pm

If you haven't already done so, use the search feature. There are quite a few dishwasher threads on here with recommendations.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Gindacu

Post by Gindacu » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:09 pm

Another happy Bosch dishwasher owner. We just installed it in January and it is glorious. I can't remember the model number but we went with a higher line to get the 3rd flat rack (which is awesome) and spent somewhere around $850. We use Costco dishwasher packets and rinse aid and the dishes are clean and dry. And we have a ton of plastic dishes every night (two young kids). It's amazingly quiet, the hidden controls are great with kids. About our only complaint is that the indicator light that shines on the floor to let you know that it's running is red and not blue.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:35 pm

going on 28 years in the current house: installed a Bosch when we moved in, and replaced it about 14 years ago. Neither has ever needed a service call. Besides being extremely quiet, the Bosch has a heating element, which in our house, is a big deal since the kitchen is a long way from the water heater.

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:20 am

This may not be the most popular response, but I'd recommend the dishwasher you can find with a mechanical knob.

My 2.5 year old new-built home came with Whirlpool appliances, including the dishwasher. Said dishwasher's control panel died within the 2-year warranty. The replacement panel put in under warranty+deductible still works today, but one of the LEDs* is out. IIRC, retail replacement cost of PCB is around $300. I have not been impressed with many white-goods electronics and embedded firmware designs against temperature, humidity, and vibration operating conditions.

If the board goes out again, I'm getting that generic looking $299 knob model.

*For those not as familiar with electronics to appreciate the lack of quality: I bet if I go into my parents attic and find that 90s VCR and plug it in, I'm pretty sure that the power LED will turn on, as long as the power transformer is still functional.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:54 am

There are two types of dishwasher owners. Those with a Bosch and those who are tolerate loud machines which don't clean their dishes.

It's up to you which you intend to be

magellan

Post by magellan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:20 am

gnujoe2001 wrote:The replacement panel put in under warranty+deductible still works today, but one of the LEDs* is out. IIRC, retail replacement cost of PCB is around $300. I have not been impressed with many white-goods electronics and embedded firmware designs against temperature, humidity, and vibration operating conditions.
I agree that embedded electronics are a reliability Achilles heal for many modern appliances.

The only consolation is that low cost replacement parts are easy to find from reliable sellers, often on e-bay. The control board on my GE fridge lists for around $200 but sells on ebay as a refurb (with warranty) for $40 including shipping from a trusted seller with a few hundred thousand feedbacks. The replacement takes about 5 minutes to install.

Out of convenience and laziness, I had given up on repairing my own appliances, except for very trivial stuff. Lately however, between youtube how-to videos, ebay parts sellers, and the frequency of trivially easy repairs like replacing control boards, a lot of repairs are worth it again.

With this approach, it helps to buy more popular appliance models. It may even be worth it to check on youtube for repair videos and check availability of parts before you buy a specific model appliance.

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:11 am

daveatca, re the Bosch Ascenta:

All three that have been installed recently are as quiet or quieter than the previous, more expensive Bosch we had that had served us faithfully for over 10 years. I had recommended Bosch dishwashers to our other family members who found the $369 deal too compelling to pass up.

The old Bosch was beginning to make noises that indicated worn pump bearings. Had the Ascenta deal not appeared I might have tried replacing the pump or simply replacing the unit with some other Bosch.

The Ascenta cleans as well as the previous Bosch. The only thing annoying about it is that the racks of all Bosch dishwashers have been redesigned (thanks, Fritz!) to accommodate more sets of conventional dishware in order to serve large dinner parties. This is fine for that need, but not as convenient for cookware and other washable kitchen items. Nonetheless, I've learned to work with it.

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:04 am

We've been happy with our Miele. My only complaint would be the dishes sometimes don't dry completely at the end of the cycle. Otherwise, it has worked well.

t3chiman

Post by t3chiman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 am

Jackson12 wrote:....I'd appreciate recommendations for some brands, and price ranges.We want something in a medium price range, preferably relatively quiet .....
I picked up a midrange Bosch a couple of years ago. Eerily quiet, and reliable. But it left glassware cloudy. Long story short, the culprit was the latest formulation of dishwasher detergents. [Our water is fine, softish municipal quality.] All the official recommendations (tabs, rinse agents, vinegar, etc.) failed. What succeeded was adding a pinch (literally, 1/4 teaspoon was fine) of the phosphates that the detergent vendors removed. "Sodium tripolyphosphate" is the stuff. That's STPP, not TSP. Combined with a touch of citric acid, the cheapo tabs from Aldi will clean your glasses just fine.

Oh, and rinse your filter every couple of days. All sorts stuff gets trapped on the edges.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:40 am

wilked wrote:There are two types of dishwasher owners. Those with a Bosch and those who are tolerate loud machines which don't clean their dishes.

I have a Maytag and it cleans my dishes and isn't that loud. I guess there are 3 types of dishwasher owners.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:31 am

BOSCH SHE55M
Super quiet cleans very well, long cycle. About 110 minutes, but since it is quiet, we do not care.
Dan999

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:56 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
wilked wrote:There are two types of dishwasher owners. Those with a Bosch and those who are tolerate loud machines which don't clean their dishes.

I have a Maytag and it cleans my dishes and isn't that loud. I guess there are 3 types of dishwasher owners.
GE, we've never had any issues either. My parents have a Jenn Air, even if you are standing next to it you can not tell it is on (which is actually a problem because people are constantly opening it when it is running), and never heard a complaint about it cleaning dishes - but they spent a lot more than I am willing to for a dishwasher.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:28 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:

My Kenmore is quiet. It just doesn't get anything clean.

The Bosch we had before the Kenmore had a control panel go bad just out of warranty, so I'm not a huge Bosch fan, either. Replacing a control panel is expensive enough that we just replaced the whole dishwasher. Unfortunately, we replaced it with the sad Kenmore.

The 1970's era GE I had once upon a time was loud, but got the dishes plenty clean, so I know it can be done. Just not with the aforementioned modern Kenmore.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:41 pm

kenschmidt wrote:You will see a lot of recommendations here for Bosch, some for Miele and scattered recommendations for other brands as well.

We have a Bosch that we are pretty pleased with overall; I have heard mixed reviews on their Ascenta line, which is the entry level / least expensive they sell. We bought a 500 Series instead that has a number of nice features.
+1, including NOT Ascenta.

We bought this one: http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/d ... rce=search (sorry, I don't remember how to re-title URLs: it's for the SHP65T55UC.)

There is not a single negative thing that I can say about it. Our house is so quiet that the loudest sound is often the ticking of the old Seth Thomas mantel striking clock, and I don't know that the DW (dishwasher, not dear wife; I'm the dear wife) is on until the 4 seconds of drain noise is heard from the sink, making me jump out of my skin. Everything is clean, period, and the top (third) rack for forks/knives/spoons is the most wonderful thing that ever hit DW-land.

We bought it at HH Gregg for maybe $600? Watch their sales.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:36 pm

bayview wrote:
kenschmidt wrote:You will see a lot of recommendations here for Bosch, some for Miele and scattered recommendations for other brands as well.

+1, including NOT Ascenta.

We bought this one: http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/d ... rce=search (sorry, I don't remember how to re-title URLs: it's for the SHP65T55UC.)

There is not a single negative thing that I can say about it. Our house is so quiet that the loudest sound is often the ticking of the old Seth Thomas mantel striking clock, and I don't know that the DW (dishwasher, not dear wife; I'm the dear wife) is on until the 4 seconds of drain noise is heard from the sink, making me jump out of my skin. Everything is clean, period, and the top (third) rack for forks/knives/spoons is the most wonderful thing that ever hit DW-land.

We bought it at HH Gregg for maybe $600? Watch their sales.
That's the exact same model I got except I got the version with the controls on the front panel. I didn't like the racking system on the Ascentas plus the third rack on top is a really nice plus.

kazper

Post by kazper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:41 pm

Our house came with an LG. Worst company for appliances! It NEVER cleaned our dishes completely. Toward the end, I had to run the dishwasher at least twice for things to come out mostly clean. We rarely had a load of dishes where 75% were at least clean enough to use.

We ended up buying a kitchenaid from Best buy. This one, I think: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kitchenaid- ... Id=5232022

It has worked so much better than the LG and is extremely quiet. You can tell it is running because there is a small indicator light on the front. Otherwise, it is pretty much silent. It has missed a few dishes here and there, but in its defense the dishes were WAY too dirty to begin with- think stuff caked on. I'm impressed at how much it can take off, honestly.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:08 pm

I am ashamed because I don't think I returned here and thanked everyone for their wonderful responses ( and if I did already say thanks and am missing that post well...chalk it up to tax prep sleep deprivation).

Anyway, I took notes, etc. I am so grateful and less intimidated about making the right choice.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:33 pm

gnujoe2001 wrote:This may not be the most popular response, but I'd recommend the dishwasher you can find with a mechanical knob.

My 2.5 year old new-built home came with Whirlpool appliances, including the dishwasher. Said dishwasher's control panel died within the 2-year warranty. The replacement panel put in under warranty+deductible still works today, but one of the LEDs* is out. IIRC, retail replacement cost of PCB is around $300. I have not been impressed with many white-goods electronics and embedded firmware designs against temperature, humidity, and vibration operating conditions.

If the board goes out again, I'm getting that generic looking $299 knob model.

*For those not as familiar with electronics to appreciate the lack of quality: I bet if I go into my parents attic and find that 90s VCR and plug it in, I'm pretty sure that the power LED will turn on, as long as the power transformer is still functional.
I can't speak to dishwashers but I wish I could find a double oven wall unit with knobs and I do have a love of older and reliable models of appliances,,,but Bosch's features and reputation for quietness is very, very appealing as well.

Not relevant to dishwashers but relevant to appliances...our wall oven has those horrid digital controls and the repair person says the new ovens don't have enough insulation to keep the control panel from damage when the self-cleaning option is used.

That has been our experience.

If we knew that we couldn't use the self ckeaning function without blowing out the panel , we would have bought one without the self cleaning feature. We did buy an extended warranty whuch at least saved on repair bills but we might as well be renting a room to the repair people because they are here so often!

In spite of the fact that the warranty company has replaced 2 control panels, sent people out 3 more times to fix one oven whuch wouldn't heat above 300 degrees and sent people out several more times for other issues, they have refused to replace the oven, saying we had to have 3 visits for the exact same issue before they'd consider that .

Those words are not in the warranty. The oven is an expensive Electrolux, top rated by Consumer Reports, cost us thousands...and we saved like crazy so we paid without debt.

Sorry for going off topic. But it sure feels good to vent. And maybe explains my nervousness about buying appliances.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:48 pm

We just bid "good riddance to bad rubbish" to a GE Profile dishwasher. One of the worst appliances we're ever owned. Probably #2 and #3 would be GE microwave ovens that EACH lasted about 2-3 years before emitting a scary-loud bang and, literally, a small puff of smoke. I don't know what happened to GE appliances because they used to be good; before that, our first microwave was a GE and it lasted well over twenty years.

Our new dishwasher is a Bosch, not a fancy one. I can't speak yet to how good it is. We bought it before reading this thread, based on a combination of a) been going to the same local appliance store since 1975 and that's their "best" brand, and b) Consumer Reports frequency-of-repair records. We will see. Barely had it a week. It is almost eerily quiet, and the dishes do seem to get clean.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

fm3040

Post by fm3040 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:50 pm

BOSCH or Miele (higher priced than BOSCH)

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:16 pm

We built a new home in 2001 and had a GE dishwasher installed... it lasted 12 years and died. It did a good job while it lasted - clean dishes.... no complaints.

We replaced it with a WhirlPool Gold Series we got from Lowe's (around 600.00 best I remember)...

It uses less water, saves energy, blah, blah, blah... but does a poor / unreliable job of washing dishes, even with the most expensive new fangled power clean pack things...

I would not recommend WhirlPool Gold Series... My wife hates the thing. If she pre-washes the dirtier dishes (manually) it does a decent job getting the rest clean. But who wants to do that.

That is why I am here reading these recommendations along with you.

Trev H

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:50 pm

gnujoe2001 wrote:...For those not as familiar with electronics to appreciate the lack of quality: I bet if I go into my parents attic and find that 90s VCR and plug it in, I'm pretty sure that the power LED will turn on, as long as the power transformer is still functional..
Good, bad, or indifferent, just pure nostalgia: when we replaced our washer, maybe five years ago, I realized that one of the "universals" that is gone from the world is the microswitch. Many of those appliances had timing cycles that were implemented by means of synchronous motors and gear trains (essentially electric clocks) that turned a great big stack of a dozen or more cams, and each of them engaged with a microswitch which had a springy lever and a roller at the end. Microswitches were compact but rugged AC power switches that could be operated by moving their button a very short distances, and they made a little metallic "clink" when they opened or closed. So when you turned the dial on one of those appliances, you were turning the cams and you heard and felt a series of chattery little clinks and clicks as you turned it.

I'm not saying it was great technology, I'm just saying it was a sound and a feeling that people my age grew up with, that's gone from the world.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:15 am

We recently replaced our Kitchenaid dishwasher with a Bosch 800. Frankly, the cleaning prowess is about the same, which means that I did not have any complaints about the Kitchenaid and the Bosch cleans just as well. The third rack of the Bosch 800 is very convenient, and I do like that feature, which the Kitchenaid did not have.

The Bosch is a little quieter, but the Kitchenaid, which was about 10 years old, wasn't loud either. Having said that, I do not understand those who say that the Bosch 800 is so quiet that if it wasn't for the light, they wouldn't know that it's running. Frankly, I think that those posters just need to get their hearing checked, as you can absolutely hear it running.

As for the drying, we recently had a minor service call on the Bosch, and their factory technician mentioned that the quiteness is a bit of a two edged sword. Condensation drying, which is used by Bosch and all the other European dishwasher manufacturers (Miele, etc...) relies on the temperature differential between the dishwasher walls and the stuff that you're washing and drying. The greater the differential, the better the drying is. This is one of the reasons that the Bosch Ascenta doesn't do a great job drying things, as it has a plastic tub, versus a stainless steel tub found in the Bosch 800.

Having said that, according to the factory technician, the noise deadening barrier used to keep your dishwasher quiet also absorbs heat, which in turn reduces the drying effectiveness.
Last edited by UALflyer on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jtravisdavid

Post by jtravisdavid » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 am

When we remodeled we put in 2 Bosch's in our kitchen. They are great. I would also suggest looking at buying them from AJ Madison. Dirt cheap, free delivery, and no sales tax.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:42 pm

Our washing machine is a 1990 model Kenmore. It says "Heavy Duty" next to the Kenmore logo. It has the wonderful analog dial Nisi describes above. It's only been serviced once, and that was to replace the physical plastic dial that snaps on. That was about 20 years ago.

Well, two weeks ago, the cold water stopped filling. I had a handy friend come over and we thought the valve on the back needed replacing. We actually MacGyvered on it, but no luck. I then called our local repairman, who has spent much time with our "new" refrigerator. But that's another story.

He figured it needed a new valve too, and luckily he had one on the truck. He installed it, but still no joy. He was sheepish when he figured out it was the HOSE that was the problem. So I got a new valve for no money, and just paid him for the new hoses. He leveled the foot for me to boot, as it had tended to rock a bit.

So there was nothing wrong with the 1990 washer. Just saying. He said to stay away from those hoses that shut down in case of catastrophe, as they tend to stick over time. Just replace your standard hoses every 5 years or so.

Feb29

Post by Feb29 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:17 pm

another very satisfied Bosch user. It works well and it's quiet.