Baby learning videos/material

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cheesepep

Baby learning videos/material

Post by cheesepep » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:29 am

My friend who has a 1.7 year old baby resides in a foreign country. She has asked me to buy some books/videos from the US that teaches a baby basic English.

Can anyone suggest such things from Amazon? I think videos would be best, but I don't have a baby so I cannot relate well.

Thanks.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Re: Baby learning videos/material

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:47 am

Babies and young toddlers don't learn languages by watching videos. They learn by hearing the speech of real people, mimicking it and getting feedback on their attempts. Books can help, but only if they have someone who uses the books as an aid to the above.

"That's a picture of a puppy. Can you say puppy?"
"uppy"
"Yea, puppy! High five!"

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:41 am

Alex Frakt wrote:Babies and young toddlers don't learn languages by watching videos. They learn by hearing the speech of real people, mimicking it and getting feedback on their attempts. Books can help, but only if they have someone who uses the books as an aid to the above.

"uppy"
"Yea, puppy! High five!"

Yes, that is true, but because this is a foreign country where most people do not speak English on a regular basis, I am hoping to buy the best learning material, whatever that might be.

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:30 am

cheesepep wrote:
Alex Frakt wrote:Babies and young toddlers don't learn languages by watching videos. They learn by hearing the speech of real people, mimicking it and getting feedback on their attempts. Books can help, but only if they have someone who uses the books as an aid to the above.

"uppy"
"Yea, puppy! High five!"

Yes, that is true, but because this is a foreign country where most people do not speak English on a regular basis, I am hoping to buy the best learning material, whatever that might be.

For a number of reasons, Alex is right on the money on this. If the person doing the reading can't do it in English, then get children's audio books and the parent and child can practice saying it together. Maybe it limits your books choices and maybe it's a little cumbersome but human interaction is really and truly the key. The child will learn a tremendous amount by comparing their parent pronunciation to the recording. They will tune out without the human interaction.

Sandra Boynton has a number of great books. They aren't audio books but some people have recorded them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6--F3Dz1tE
Search for her in youtube. There are more than 7 pages of results. Some even of young kids reading the books. This is a goldmine!!!!

Oh Alex said "puppy" ... here is Sandar's snuggle puppy!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nwWim ... tDxiaJFGLA

Again, the parent/caregiver should read in English and do discussion in any language. Perhaps even point to the words in the book during the video and then point to the words in the book when saying them.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:17 am

cheesepep wrote:My friend who has a 1.7 year old baby resides in a foreign country. She has asked me to buy some books/videos from the US that teaches a baby basic English.

Can anyone suggest such things from Amazon? I think videos would be best, but I don't have a baby so I cannot relate well.

Thanks.

I highly recommend The Reading Lesson

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Lesson-Te ... ing+lesson

I learned about this book through a friend and it is divided up into 20 different lessons though when my oldest was using it, we did one page a day. She knew her letters and simple words when she went to preschool and was reading before she went to school. Our youngest, now three is already part way through the book and she also knows all her letters already. It is very simply to go through and the kids seem to enjoy it. For them, it is bonding time to sit down with me or their mom and go through a page of the book. I saw from the link that it now comes on CD so you can go through it on a computer too but we used the paperback version. Well worth the money.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:45 am

Agree with Alex

From what I have observed with my daughter (2.5 yrs) she doesn't really "listen" while watching TV, she really only cares about the visual. I'm pretty sure if I put the TV on mute, she wouldn't care. Yes, she knows the Doc McStuffens songs but I don't really thing she listens that much.

That all being said, we limit our daughter to less than 30 minutes of TV a day. Any sort of TV is a reward not a way to teach a kid.

Another option is to speak English to the kid at home and the local language while out. This will help them understand both.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:33 am

cheesepep wrote:Yes, that is true, but because this is a foreign country where most people do not speak English on a regular basis, I am hoping to buy the best learning material, whatever that might be.

Do the parents speak English? If not, the only way this will work is if you get something that will teach the parents who can then model it for the child. If they do, then any appropriate-age books will work. Here's a direct link to Amazon's Children's Books 0-2 years - http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=chp_manbrow ... 2578998011 . Make sure they are in the board book format, these have thick cardboard pages that kids can handle without tearing.

jay22

Post by jay22 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 am

lthenderson wrote:
cheesepep wrote:My friend who has a 1.7 year old baby resides in a foreign country. She has asked me to buy some books/videos from the US that teaches a baby basic English.

Thanks.

I highly recommend The Reading Lesson

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Lesson-Te ... ing+lesson

I learned about this book through a friend and it is divided up into 20 different lessons though when my oldest was using it, we did one page a day. She knew her letters and simple words when she went to preschool and was reading before she went to school. Our youngest, now three is already part way through the book and she also knows all her letters already. It is very simply to go through and the kids seem to enjoy it. For them, it is bonding time to sit down with me or their mom and go through a page of the book. I saw from the link that it now comes on CD so you can go through it on a computer too but we used the paperback version. Well worth the money.

From the description:

How old should my child be when we start the Reading Lesson?

The book is meant for children between the ages of 3 and 8. We do not suggest that you try to teach a child under the age of three to read. Contrary to some books that suggest that you can teach infants to read, there is no proof that such a thing is possible. Children need certain developmental skills before they can read. Flashing cards with letters and words at a baby is a fun thing to do and makes us feel like good parents, but it does not work!

Not judging your approach with your kids, but would like to know what made you go over this book with your kids under 3? We have a 4 month old and I am trying to educate myself with what works for kids when it comes to reading.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:08 pm

There is ample evidence that teaching kids to read early offers no long-term developmental advantages. In other words, when you teach a child to read has no correlation with their ultimate reading ability. In fact, any early "advantage" disappears no later than the fourth grade. As one researcher put it:
instead of acting like a snowball rolling down a mountain, the effects of early reading a more akin to watering a garden before a rainstorm; the earlier watering is rendered undetectable by the rainstorm, the watering wastes precious water, and the watering detracts the gardener from other important preparatory groundwork.

Children's brains are not like adult brains. The best way to stimulate them and maximize their capabilities changes as they grow. For example, physical movement and interacting with their environment (touching, manipulating, tasting) is extremely important in the development of a child's brain. For babies and toddlers, passive activities like watching TV or classroom style lecturing have no developmental benefits at all. They will even be detrimental if such activities replace positive activities like play or sleep. Note that this appears to continue through our entire lives, which is why we keep hearing new evidence on, for example, how regular exercise helps prevent the onset of dementia or how using movement in teaching math and reading to elementary school kids improves test scores.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:26 pm

Babies learn by listening and interacting. The best way to learn is to have someone talk to them in English. When my friends in Europe have asked for the same, I have sent board books: Brown Bear, Brown Bear; The Very Hungry Caterpillar; The Very Busy Spider; Dear Zoo; Hop on Pop; One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; Are You My Mother?; Is Your Mama a Llama; and Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type. Be forewarned. This will be torture for the parents, who will have to read each book a thousand times before the child tires of them.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:44 pm

remomnyc wrote:Babies learn by listening and interacting. The best way to learn is to have someone talk to them in English. When my friends in Europe have asked for the same, I have sent board books: Brown Bear, Brown Bear; The Very Hungry Caterpillar; The Very Busy Spider; Dear Zoo; Hop on Pop; One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; Are You My Mother?; Is Your Mama a Llama; and Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type. Be forewarned. This will be torture for the parents, who will have to read each book a thousand times before the child tires of them.

Thanks, I think that these books are good. I'll definitely be buying some of them along with some other recommendations that others recommended above.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:49 am

jay22 wrote:Not judging your approach with your kids, but would like to know what made you go over this book with your kids under 3? We have a 4 month old and I am trying to educate myself with what works for kids when it comes to reading.

I should have elaborated more. I was rounding down with the age of our youngest and she had actually turned three several months before we started the book with her. I'm not one of those parents who has to push their children to succeed. But there came a time with both of our kids where they showed interest and patience in sitting beside me while we 'read' a book together and that is when I pull out this book. Our oldest who is now 9, is reading at a high school level and I very much believe her learning to read early plus us mandating that she read 30 minutes a day since first grade are responsible for that. I also think that it helps with all her other classes like science, math, social studies, etc. when she doesn't have to struggle with reading and can concentrate on the topics at hand.

Carson

Post by Carson » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:50 pm

The AAP has cautioned against screen times for little ones but I see what your friend is trying to do, especially being in a foreign country.

I would try the baby signing time DVDs. It's main purpose is teaching English speaking kids ASL for beginning communications, but it is pretty good program that moves at an appropriate pace with clear images.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

joebh

Post by joebh » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:12 pm

remomnyc wrote:Babies learn by listening and interacting. The best way to learn is to have someone talk to them in English. When my friends in Europe have asked for the same, I have sent board books: Brown Bear, Brown Bear; The Very Hungry Caterpillar; The Very Busy Spider; Dear Zoo; Hop on Pop; One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; Are You My Mother?; Is Your Mama a Llama; and Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type. Be forewarned. This will be torture for the parents, who will have to read each book a thousand times before the child tires of them.

If you are lucky enough to have grandparents involved, I can tell you from personal experience - it won't be torture for them.