Trip to Vail Colorado

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cottons

Trip to Vail Colorado

Post by Cottons »

The lady and I are making a trip out to Vail at end of June/early July, and I need some input.

We both enjoy hiking and being outdoors in general, but the problem we are having is choosing between the overwhelming amount of trails to hike. I'm looking for a solid trail that could take up the majority of 1 day, and a couple smaller hikes for a different day. We are both in good shape, but she has asthma so lots of elevation gain (I know it's unavoidable, but we aren't trying to go up 2500 feet) is out of the question.

We will have access to a vehicle, so trails within a 1-2 hour drive are also fair game. Help me out please.
ResearchMed

Re: Trip to Vail Colorado

Post by ResearchMed »

Cottons wrote:The lady and I are making a trip out to Vail at end of June/early July, and I need some input.

We both enjoy hiking and being outdoors in general, but the problem we are having is choosing between the overwhelming amount of trails to hike. I'm looking for a solid trail that could take up the majority of 1 day, and a couple smaller hikes for a different day. We are both in good shape, but she has asthma so lots of elevation gain (I know it's unavoidable, but we aren't trying to go up 2500 feet) is out of the question.

We will have access to a vehicle, so trails within a 1-2 hour drive are also fair game. Help me out please.
If she has asthma, are you sure that she will be able to hike (or even be comfortable with simple walking) at the *starting* elevations at Vail?

Many "fit" adults are surprised by difficulties (from mild to severe) from the altitudes of Vail and Aspen, before heading higher.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Quandary Peak is about 50 miles from Vail and is one of the easier 14ers in Colorado. Straightforward trail with little chance of serious injury. From what I remember, you can drive all the way to the trailhead without having to go offroad. The view from the top is spectacular, as it is with pretty much all the 14ers. I do agree with the last guy that you may want to see how your lady does the first few days in Vail, since even base elevation is over 8000 feet.
sad2

Post by sad2 »

Try booth lake or hanging lake or Herman lake. All excellent hikes.
dbr

Post by dbr »

sad2 wrote:Try booth lake or hanging lake or Herman lake. All excellent hikes.
Here is a more detailed description of Booth Lake, for example. I agree it is a very fine hike but one might note 3000' elevation gain to over 11,000' is not for a less than totally fit flatlander a few days out from near sea level:

http://www.protrails.com/trail/388/summ ... booth-lake

Maybe browsing that trail site will suggest some ideas. Most trails into the Gore wilderness are pretty steep but not necessarily rugged propositions.

Here is a map link to the area around Vail:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/map/ ... ndex.shtml
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

sad2 wrote:Try booth lake or hanging lake or Herman lake. All excellent hikes.
+1 for Hanging Lake

However, you need to go on a weekday, either very early or late in the day. Parking at the trailhead is impossible otherwise.

All this is assuming I-70 gets fixed by the time you come. There was a major rockslide this winter which has severely limited travel through the part of I-70 leading to the trailhead.
Topic Author
Cottons

Post by Cottons »

ResearchMed wrote:
If she has asthma, are you sure that she will be able to hike (or even be comfortable with simple walking) at the *starting* elevations at Vail?

Many "fit" adults are surprised by difficulties (from mild to severe) from the altitudes of Vail and Aspen, before heading higher.

RM
We did the Yosemite Panorama Trail and while it was difficult, we both survived. Her condition is extremely mild, haven't seen her use an inhaler more than a handful of times in over 10 years.
emoore

Post by emoore »

Another +1 for hanging lake. Really like that hike. Did it with a 6 and 8 year old and they loved it.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

A number of the hikes that have been recommended so far are not that close to Vail. Since you are staying in Vail you might as well take advantage of the local trails. The Booth Falls trail is nice and would fit your all day criteria. Mt. Holy Cross is the closest fourteener about 30 minutes away. The Berry Picker trail is a nice moderate hike that goes up the front side of the ski area. And if you are tired after lunch at the top you can ride the gondola down for free. If you go to the visitors center in the village they have some nice free trail maps. And from your description of your wife's asthma it sounds like a 2500 foot elevation gain is doable. Best of luck.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We had a friend who visited many times and loved it. I have not but I was able to experience Aspen, CO and it was beautiful.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

yukonjack wrote: Mt. Holy Cross is the closest fourteener about 30 minutes away.
Holy Cross should not be attempted unless the person has both fully acclimated to the high altitude and is in excellent cardiovascular shape. The listed elevation gain of the standard trail is deceiving because you have to hike up and completely down a smaller but steep mountain first (putting your elevation gain so far at zero) before climbing back up the actual peak. For this couple, I'd not even consider this hike.
dbr

Post by dbr »

climber2020 wrote:
yukonjack wrote: Mt. Holy Cross is the closest fourteener about 30 minutes away.
Holy Cross should not be attempted unless the person has both fully acclimated to the high altitude and is in excellent cardiovascular shape. The listed elevation gain of the standard trail is deceiving because you have to hike up and completely down a smaller but steep mountain first (putting your elevation gain so far at zero) before climbing back up the actual peak. For this couple, I'd not even consider this hike.
Agree. That climb can be a brutal day and certainly out of consideration for what the OP proposes. I don't think 14er's are the formula here and the OP is clear they are looking for a hike, not a climb. Many high climbs in Colorado really are just hikes but they do involve exposure to altitude and weather that cannot be taken lightly. It is not a trivial difference to approach those altitudes from 5,000' or more in Denver or higher and attempting a 12,000'-14,000' total elevation change in a few days from somewhere at lower elevations.

I apologize for not having a specific suggestion but do suggest looking up some trail guides and online forest service maps for ideas.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

If asthma is an issue, be extra cautious about acclimating to the higher altitude. Here are some tips: http://www.denver.org/about-denver/fact ... tude-tips/ (applies to Vail as well...)

Here's some trail information

http://www.vail.com/summer/activities/h ... ge=viewall
http://alltrails.com/us/colorado/vail