Windows 10

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
minesweep

Windows 10

Post by minesweep » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Several days ago I got a pop up From Microsoft stating that my upgrade to Windows 10 will be installed at a particular time in 2 days (funny I never requested it). I’ve been holding off from doing the upgrade because I was happy with Windows 7 for now. I planned on doing the upgrade near the end of the free one year time period with the idea that any kinks would be worked out by then. Turns out that message was more widespread then I had thought it might be.

Microsoft upgraded users to Windows 10 without their OK

Mel Lindauer

Re: Windows 10

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:25 pm

minesweep wrote:Several days ago I got a pop up From Microsoft stating that my upgrade to Windows 10 will be installed at a particular time in 2 days (funny I never requested it). I’ve been holding off from doing the upgrade because I was happy with Windows 7 for now. I planned on doing the upgrade near the end of the free one year time period with the idea that any kinks would be worked out by then. Turns out that message was more widespread then I had thought it might be.

Microsoft upgraded users to Windows 10 without their OK
You can remove the automatic update by deleting KB3035583 from the update list on your computer.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I tried that but they kept pushing through an "optional" update that was checked. I followed the guidelines in the ZDNET article linked in this post

viewtopic.php?p=2832339#p2832339

and it has not returned.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
minesweep

Post by minesweep » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:32 pm

Thanks Mel!

I neglected to mention that I deleted the scheduled upgrade right away.

arizonaslim

Post by arizonaslim » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm

I'm on a Windows 7 machine. Tried to do the Win10 upgrade, but I got a message saying that my processor is too old.

Oh, well. This machine still works, and it's going to be staying with good ole Win7.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:14 pm

For that last year I have always declined the prompts and offers to upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. Saturday morning my computer was upgraded to Win 10. Happened sometime overnight.

So far I like it.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:19 pm

> I planned on doing the upgrade near the end of the free one year time period

I do not plan on doing the upgrade, ever. If I need to buy a new machine that only comes with windows 10 then I will deal with it.

Make SURE all your software continues to work under windows 10 or you will find yourself buying updates anyway.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:35 pm

I used to have a laptop before Microsoft killed it. It had Windows 7 and I didn't catch the update for 10 and it proceeded with the install. Next thing I know, the laptop just keeps rebooting over and over never progressing further in the install. The only way forward now (according to several forums with people having similar problems) is to install Windows 10 fresh from a disk... which I don't have. So now I have a door weight of a laptop.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:42 pm

My old computer runs better on Windows 10 than vista. Just something to think about.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Mine too, I updated an almost nine year old PC that had been sitting in a back closet for about two years and then delivered it to one of my daughters.

That was when Windows 10 first became available. It is still in use and causing no problems.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:06 pm

I read an article lately that shed a whole new light on why Microsoft was pushing out "free" copies of Windows 10 so aggressively. Turns out a new feature called "Windows Spotlight" that lets you customize the images on your lock screen is now being used silently by Microsoft to push paid ads to the users' lock screens.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243263/how-to- ... ck-screen/
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:14 pm

smartinwate wrote:I read an article lately that shed a whole new light on why Microsoft was pushing out "free" copies of Windows 10 so aggressively. Turns out a new feature called "Windows Spotlight" that lets you customize the images on your lock screen is now being used silently by Microsoft to push paid ads to the users' lock screens.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243263/how-to- ... ck-screen/
Interesting. So far Windows spotlight has been sending spectacular pictures (amazing photographs) that allows users to both choose whether or not to use this as a lock screen and if you do you can vote for the type you would like them to send more of.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:26 pm

user5027 wrote:For that last year I have always declined the prompts and offers to upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. Saturday morning my computer was upgraded to Win 10. Happened sometime overnight.

So far I like it.
FYI, you only have a month to fall back to your old OS version. After that, you will need to do a clean install (which may be overwhelming for many).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... windows-81

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Updated two ThinkPads here about two months ago, oldest of the two is three years old.

Went smoothly, machine seems a bit faster and no problem with programs, although I don't use anything too esoteric. AN ancient Samsung laser printer also works fine.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:36 pm

It updated two of my computers before I had a chance to delete the update. One was a Win 7 machine and it didn't work with a lot of stuff. The other was an 8.1 computer and I liked what I saw, but had problems with it not recognizing external drives tha 8.1 had no problem with and not recognizing my mouse another time. Too many quirks for my liking, but I do like the W10 interface and lots of things about it.

I revered both computers back to their previous OS and removed the W10 update file (KB3035583) for all three of my computers.

No doubt my next computer will come with W10 and hopefully by that time they'll have worked out the bugs that caused me to revert.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:43 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:I revered both computers back to their previous OS and removed the W10 update file (KB3035583) for all three of my computers.
Mel,

Thank you for the file number. I have removed it from my Windows 7 machine, and it took a long time to install updates, shut it off, restart, and go through some strange motions. But it seems OK now.

While I was at it, I went to Windows Update --> Change settings, and changed from "Install updates automatically (recommended)" to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Upgraded 2 laptops 1 desktop when Win10 was first introduced.
Running smooth as silk.
Machines seem to be performing better regarding processing speed.
All machines synch together over the network,
Really enjoying all the new features of Win10.
It is the future. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

sport

Post by sport » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:02 pm

VictoriaF wrote:While I was at it, I went to Windows Update --> Change settings, and changed from "Install updates automatically (recommended)" to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."
Thanks for a good idea Victoria. I just changed my settings too.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:21 pm

To control whether or not to install Windows 10, consider "GWX Control Panel" freeware by Josh Mayfield.

Has good reviews, does not contain malware, and is easy to use.

Just ran it on my Win 7 desktop, it got rid of the nagging reminder and the icon.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:I revered both computers back to their previous OS and removed the W10 update file (KB3035583) for all three of my computers.
Mel,

Thank you for the file number. I have removed it from my Windows 7 machine, and it took a long time to install updates, shut it off, restart, and go through some strange motions. But it seems OK now.

While I was at it, I went to Windows Update --> Change settings, and changed from "Install updates automatically (recommended)" to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them."

Victoria
I should have added that I also changed the settings as you indicated when I deleted the W10 update file. Thanks for adding that.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:15 am

I have a Dell XPS of 2009. with 6GB SDRAM. One month ago I had updated from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Since I read here that someone had a similar machine of same age and updated successfully from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I just did that too. I had no problems and my access to my files and internet (via Google Chrome) is perfect. From Vista to 7 to 10 created some stress on me, but now there should not be any more problems.

Our 12 year old loves the new features, is insisting to do all his new settings and has no problems running his video games.
Last edited by likegarden on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:20 am

I'm sticking with 7 after getting mixed reviews from those who have gone to (or tried to) 10. I'm assuming I'll need to replace my PC before 7 support discontinues anyway. I'll get whatever is the latest then.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mickroark

Post by mickroark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:52 am

I just bought a new Dell all-in one with Windows 10 home. I am upgrading from windows XP. I also just upgraded to hi speed internet. I can tell you I am very happy, and WOW what a difference in speed. I am enjoying computing again.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 pm

likegarden wrote:I have a Dell XPS of 2009. One month ago I had updated from Windows Vista to Windows 7. Since I read here that someone had a similar machine of same age and updated successfully from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I just did that too. I had no problems and my access to my files and internet (via Google Chrome) is perfect. From Vista to 7 to 10 created some stress on me, but now there should not be any more problems.
I had a dell from 2007 2.2Ghz 4GB of memory 10 works great. What I like about it is supported until 2025. I find it uses less memory than Vista. For those upgrading to Windows 10 I think 4GB of memory helps. I have not tried with less memory.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Media Center... damned if I'm going to forfeit my DVR capabilities, just so Microsoft can make a few more bucks on directed ads & 24/7 monitoring of my internet usage.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

Ron

Post by Ron » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 pm

scotthal wrote:Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Media Center... damned if I'm going to forfeit my DVR capabilities, just so Microsoft can make a few more bucks on directed ads & 24/7 monitoring of my internet usage.
I used Media Center under Vista but went over to Dish Anywhere and a Sling Player with my new desktop last year. The additional feature with D/A is I can link my Kindle Fire, which has an available D/A app, to my phone (tether) and watch my TV while I'm traveling or my wife can look at a show while in the car. Of course, if you use another TV/satellite service you have to have the matching software along with the Sling Player (plugs into a USB port on the DVR).

We're going to Peru in May. Assuming I get a cell signal (I always buy a data pass when we travel) I should be able to get the home local news/TV from our hotel rooms, or even when we'll be on the train/bus on tour.

BTW, I just did a clean install today, with W10 on an old Dell laptop which I purchased when I retired nine years ago which I used rarely. It also used Vista but it's starting to have indications of the software being unsupported in the next year or so. Dish Anywhere didn't run under Vista on the laptop, but now it does. Additionally, I was getting messages that Chrome would be frozen shortly for those running Vista. The $120 price of going to W10 from Vista was certainly less expensive than getting a replacement laptop or even just letting it sit on the shelf. And W10 runs just fine on an old Dell laptop, FWIW.

- Ron

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:01 am

Those of you choosing to upgrade to Windows 10 should be aware of how to enable better privacy settings on the OS. Here are a few articles on how to improve your privacy in Windows 10:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/ ... piece.html
http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s- ... 1722267229

Norris

Post by Norris » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:20 am

After Windows 10 downloaded on my PC, I lost the ability to right click e.g. I cannot copy and paste, etc. Has anyone had this issue and, if so, is there a known remedy?

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21 am

Norris wrote:After Windows 10 downloaded on my PC, I lost the ability to right click e.g. I cannot copy and paste, etc. Has anyone had this issue and, if so, is there a known remedy?
I assume left clicking works fine, so it is unlikely to be a driver issue. Most likely this is a configuration issue, such as an incompatible program blocking right click, the options on the mouse driver, or a missing service. For example, on Windows 7, right clicking would be disabled if the RPC service was stopped. I found this out the hard way while trying to minimize the services running. In the Unix/Linux world, RPC is only needed if you plan to use the system in certain ways remotely and I wasn't planning to access that system remotely. It turns out that Windows 7 needed it for the local desktop.

Perhaps there is something similar in Windows 10. Check the list of running services against a list of essential services for Windows 10. There are also other suggestions on a Google search of this issue: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... ot+working

Meanwhile, you can use CTRL+C (copy), CTRL+X (cut), and CTRL+V (paste) on the keyboard to copy and paste. Alternatively, use CTRL+Insert (copy) and SHIFT+Insert (paste). A full list of keyboard shortcuts is at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -shortcuts

user5027

Post by user5027 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:05 am

Norris wrote:After Windows 10 downloaded on my PC, I lost the ability to right click e.g. I cannot copy and paste, etc. Has anyone had this issue and, if so, is there a known remedy?

Norris
Check the mouse settings.

Norris

Post by Norris » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks Mudpuppy and user5027. My "primary button" on mouse settings was right instead of left. When I restored it to left then I was able to right click and cut and paste, etc. Thanks also for the links referencing Windows 10 privacy. I made some changes including One Drive and personalized ads.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:22 pm

I upgraded a low-end (2Gb ram) laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10 a few weeks ago. I didn't have a ton of apps on it, so didn't really care one way or the other about the user interface. Win 10 just seemed (in) consistently slower, especially on startup. I ended up reverting it back to Win 8.1

I did consider Win 8/8.1 a significant advance over earlier releases under the covers, though it has the clunky UI.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:25 pm

curmudgeon wrote:I upgraded a low-end (2Gb ram) laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10 a few weeks ago. I didn't have a ton of apps on it, so didn't really care one way or the other about the user interface. Win 10 just seemed (in) consistently slower, especially on startup. I ended up reverting it back to Win 8.1

I did consider Win 8/8.1 a significant advance over earlier releases under the covers, though it has the clunky UI.
If you want to get back to a UI that is close to W7, install Classic Shell. We use it on our W8.1 LTs for TaxAide and most of the user can't really notice a big difference from the W7 machines (other than boot time, where W8 is faster).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:12 pm

lthenderson wrote:I used to have a laptop before Microsoft killed it. It had Windows 7 and I didn't catch the update for 10 and it proceeded with the install. Next thing I know, the laptop just keeps rebooting over and over never progressing further in the install. The only way forward now (according to several forums with people having similar problems) is to install Windows 10 fresh from a disk... which I don't have. So now I have a door weight of a laptop.
Just so you know, you can create a Windows 10 install disk with the Media Creation Tool, which is free to download. And you obviously have another computer, since you're posting here. You just need a USB flash drive.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:23 pm

I upgraded 3 computers from Win 7 to Win 10. I had file sharing set up so I could access files through my network as long as the involved computers were powered on. This no longer works for me under Win 10. Maybe something to do with Microsoft user accounts. I also could access my Windows files on my MacBook Pro as a guest and lost this ability too. Now I have to resort to thumb drives or email files to myself to move data around. Not the end of the world, otherwise Win 10 is fine.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:37 pm

SpringMan wrote:I upgraded 3 computers from Win 7 to Win 10. I had file sharing set up so I could access files through my network as long as the involved computers were powered on. This no longer works for me under Win 10. Maybe something to do with Microsoft user accounts. I also could access my Windows files on my MacBook Pro as a guest and lost this ability too. Now I have to resort to thumb drives or email files to myself to move data around. Not the end of the world, otherwise Win 10 is fine.

Have you set up a homegroup for the computers.?
I have several Win10 computers where am Using homegroup to share all files folders etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_6mwKotsIg

:D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:41 pm

The good news is that you don't NEED to upgrade for quite a while

"all security fixes will be made available—until January 14, 2020 for Windows 7 and January 10, 2023 for Windows 8.1."

(from http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... extension/)

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Toons wrote:
SpringMan wrote:I upgraded 3 computers from Win 7 to Win 10. I had file sharing set up so I could access files through my network as long as the involved computers were powered on. This no longer works for me under Win 10. Maybe something to do with Microsoft user accounts. I also could access my Windows files on my MacBook Pro as a guest and lost this ability too. Now I have to resort to thumb drives or email files to myself to move data around. Not the end of the world, otherwise Win 10 is fine.

I have several Win10 computers where am Using homegroup to share all files folders etc

Thanks, that is how I initially set everything up on Win 7 but after upgrading it no longer works. I may have issues with my password. I am not sure how to delete the HomeGroup and start over from scratch on Win 10.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:19 pm

This is what I posted in November 2015:

"KB3035583 is nasty. When I rebooted the PC Win 10 started downloading! I stopped that right quick. I removed the update from Programs via the Control Panel and designated it a "hidden" update on the Windows Update program.

I don't allow Windows to automatically update the PC. I Google every proposed update. There are lots of smart techies who'll give you a heads-up on each update."

To refine the foregoing, after you removed the update from the Control Panel, restart the PC THEN scan for MS updates and THEN designate KB30135583 to be hidden.

You must be vigilant when new "optional" updates are recommended. Other than Microsoft Essential updates, I'd Google the other suggested updates to see if MS is attempting to sneak in MS 10 again (it happened to me). I've found that many optional MS updates address tangential tech tweaks and may not be important for your uses of the PC.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:21 pm

SpringMan wrote:
Toons wrote:

Thanks, that is how I initially set everything up on Win 7 but after upgrading it no longer works. I may have issues with my password. I am not sure how to delete the HomeGroup and start over from scratch on Win 10.
Control Panel/choose homegroup sharing options/Leave the homegroup/change password option is in there.
:happy

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm

curmudgeon wrote:I upgraded a low-end (2Gb ram) laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10 a few weeks ago. I didn't have a ton of apps on it, so didn't really care one way or the other about the user interface. Win 10 just seemed (in) consistently slower, especially on startup. I ended up reverting it back to Win 8.1

I thought it was faster than Vista but I have 4GB so maybe that helps. I don't know what is the best amount of memory for windows 10?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:36 pm

We had no interest and ignored the updates. Moving everything to Apple was the best computer decision we ever made.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:37 pm

rec7 wrote:

I thought it was faster than Vista but I have 4GB so maybe that helps. I don't know what is the best amount of memory for windows 10?
I would expect Win 10 to still be faster than Vista or Win 7. I had just hoped that Win 10 would fully preserve the performance improvements that I saw with Win 8. I thought Win 8 was the first MSFT release in many years that was a significant performance improvement when running on the same or similar hardware. Win 10 seemed back to the old pattern. Whether it is designed for more memory, or just the usual feature creep is hard to say.

It is quite possible that I could tweak Win 10 into performing well on this system, but it didn't seem worth the bother.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 am

My computer has 6 GB ram. I updated from Windows Vista to 7 to 10 and have no problems. Win 10 seems to be faster. I especially like that a scan with Malwarebytes now only takes 29 minutes than the 2 1/2 hours before.

kazper

Post by kazper » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:01 am

After being a hold out for quite some time, I finally gave in and let it upgrade.

The installation was flawless, despite my wife closing my computer which puts it in sleep mode. :oops: I was extremely concerned this might botch the installation, but once opened it picked up right where it left off.

I left it on and let it do whatever it needed for several hours. When I came back, it requested a few rudimentary pieces of information from me and asked if I wanted a tour of the new OS.

I haven't really explored all the nooks and crannies of it yet, but then again I may never. It does what I expect it to and I'm glad for that. I would do it again if given the chance.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:15 am

Toons wrote:
SpringMan wrote:
Toons wrote:

Control Panel/choose homegroup sharing options/Leave the homegroup/change password option is in there.
The problem was I was not seeing the 'change password" option in the homegroup screen. Not sure what I did but today it appeared (I shutdown every night so the computer was rebooted). I was able to create a homegroup and change the password successfully. I can now share files though only certain folders and not the entire C drive. Good enough since I can put files I want to share in an allowed folder. Thanks again.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

quercus

Post by quercus » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:14 pm

+1 for GWX Control Panel, which lets you block all of the Windows 10 upgrade stuff should you so desire.

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:31 pm

If Microsoft sneaks in an "upgrade" to Win10, it should ask you to confirm that you accept the "End User License Agreement". You don't have to accept it, and if you decline it, the install will be rolled back to the earlier OS (although it may take a while.)

Still, it's best to not go there in the first place.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:58 pm

SpringMan wrote:
Toons wrote:
SpringMan wrote:
Toons wrote:

The problem was I was not seeing the 'change password" option in the homegroup screen. Not sure what I did but today it appeared (I shutdown every night so the computer was rebooted). I was able to create a homegroup and change the password successfully. I can now share files though only certain folders and not the entire C drive. Good enough since I can put files I want to share in an allowed folder. Thanks again.

Outstanding,
Glad it worked out for you :sharebeer

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:20 pm

archbish99 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:I used to have a laptop before Microsoft killed it. It had Windows 7 and I didn't catch the update for 10 and it proceeded with the install. Next thing I know, the laptop just keeps rebooting over and over never progressing further in the install. The only way forward now (according to several forums with people having similar problems) is to install Windows 10 fresh from a disk... which I don't have. So now I have a door weight of a laptop.
Just so you know, you can create a Windows 10 install disk with the Media Creation Tool, which is free to download. And you obviously have another computer, since you're posting here. You just need a USB flash drive.
Thank you for the link which I was unaware. I checked however and in their FAQ section it says that I need a product key which I do not have since it previously had a factory install of Windows 7. The FAQ says creating a USB install disk will not work in that instance.