Mattress Topper & Pillow Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Mattress Topper & Pillow Recommendations

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:52 am

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good brand for a mattress topper? I'm moving across the country in a couple years, so I don't wish to purchase a new mattress that will have to go with me...I would prefer to extend the life of this one a bit and buy a new one in the next location...I tried a gel topper - it hardened when the temps dropped and I have tried a foam topper - worked ok, but stretched a bit over time and we fell out of bed lol.

Pillow recommendations? I've always bought cheap ones...now I want to buy a couple that will last....I slept on a great one in a Marriott, but could not track down the manufacturer.

I am a side sleeper and prefer cushy pillows that are neither too flat nor too bouncy high.

Thanks,
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

ResearchMed

Re: Mattress Topper & Pillow Recommendations

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:12 am

Barefootgirl wrote:I was wondering if someone could recommend a good brand for a mattress topper? I'm moving across the country in a couple years, so I don't wish to purchase a new mattress that will have to go with me...I would prefer to extend the life of this one a bit and buy a new one in the next location...I tried a gel topper - it hardened when the temps dropped and I have tried a foam topper - worked ok, but stretched a bit over time and we fell out of bed lol.

Pillow recommendations? I've always bought cheap ones...now I want to buy a couple that will last....I slept on a great one in a Marriott, but could not track down the manufacturer.

I am a side sleeper and prefer cushy pillows that are neither too flat nor too bouncy high.

Thanks,
Not sure about the mattress topper, but for the pillow, did you contact the Marriott directly?
More and more hotels are selling mattresses (new, of course!), pillows, and even other items like sheets.

It might be on their website, or just call the Hotel Manager at the location where you stayed.

We found an incredible mattress at a hotel a while ago, and we plan to return specifically to see if we again have the same special experience.
And if we do... we are getting one shipped to us :happy

There's really no better way to know what "works" for sleeping than ... to have it actually work for you when sleeping!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

jimkinny

Post by jimkinny » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 am

I have used both 3 and 4 inch high density memory foam. Higher density works best for me, thicker the better.

Heat build up is a potential drawback but I have found I use less covers and lower the thermostat in winter. I have not used the foam with a layer of ????? to minimize the buildup but this is available.

I have used only generic brands from Amazon without any covering when purchased. Pre-fitted sheets will not fit on thick pads and cover both a mattress and box springs. I have always used these pads on top of a box springs and matress except for....

I had an inexpensive Ikea bed several years ago and the foam pad that came with it was almost adequate for the few months I had the bed. It was not a high density foam and I could feel the slats through it. I weigh about 175. I think one's weight likely factors into the desirability for thickness and density.

b4real

Post by b4real » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:55 am

About 3 years ago our king Serta pillow top mattress was sagging and uncomfortable. I cut off the pillow top by running a razor around the perimeter and replaced it with a 3" high density memory foam topper purchased on ebay. I'm pretty sure it was about $175 and for that we got a rejuvenated mattress that is still comfortable, doesn't sag, and gives a great nights sleep. Bonus - the folded pillowtop makes a great bed for the grandkids.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:04 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I was wondering if someone could recommend a good brand for a mattress topper? I'm moving across the country in a couple years, so I don't wish to purchase a new mattress that will have to go with me...I would prefer to extend the life of this one a bit and buy a new one in the next location...I tried a gel topper - it hardened when the temps dropped and I have tried a foam topper - worked ok, but stretched a bit over time and we fell out of bed lol.
Toppers will rarely have more than a few years of lifespan. But they are cheap and easy to replace, so you just factor that in to the purchase. Toppers may not make up for support issues in the mattress itself either. My old mattress was sagging and no number of toppers was going to compensate for the human-sized divot in the middle of it. My current mattress is quite supportive, but I intentionally bought an extra firm mattress with no built-in toppers so the mattress itself would remain good for a long time span.

As for specific toppers, I'm not picky as long as they're cost-effective. I'm willing to replace them after a few years if they get compressed or out of shape. I'm on the second set of toppers for my current mattress, and I replaced the old toppers at about 3-4 years in because they were compressing too much (no longer comfortable). I do two layers, a ventilated memory foam layer and a fiber-filled fluff layer. The fluff layer is just for extra breathability and comfort, as even ventilated memory foam can run a bit warm for me without the fluff layer.

I usually just wait until Target is running a 20-30% off bedding sale then get whatever their current Fieldcrest 3" or thicker ventilated memory foam topper is and whatever their current Fieldcrest 0.5" or thicker down substitute mattress pad is. Right now, I have the Fieldcrest 3" gel-infused ventilated memory foam (no longer stocked by Target) and the Fieldcrest "memory fiber" (which is apparently the current marketing buzz word) mattress pad. I also have a thin, waterproof mattress pad above those, as the Target reviews say that washing the "memory fiber" mattress pad can ruin its fluffiness.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:Pillow recommendations? I've always bought cheap ones...now I want to buy a couple that will last....I slept on a great one in a Marriott, but could not track down the manufacturer.

Almost forgot about the pillows... I got "micro-cubed" latex pillows for free when I purchased the extra firm mattress. Essentially, they're a type of shredded latex pillow. They're pretty nice for side sleeping, although you do need to fluff them a couple of times a week as they do compress.

Unfortunately, I tried buying the same brand and style of pillow off Amazon last summer and it was not as good. Lots of odors and not as comfortable. I had it out in the garage for over a week to air out, and it was still too smelly to sleep on. It was also stiffer than my old pillows, but probably just due to not being "broken in" like my old pillows are.

I haven't tried other brands of shredded latex pillows yet to see if there's another brand I could recommend.

rockylou

Post by rockylou » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 pm

The best pillow I have ever had is Cuddledown, medium density.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:55 pm

My neighbor just bought a memory foam topper, whatever that is. I know because I found the box in the recycle bin, looking for something to transport books to the book offloading store. Two pillows are nice, one nice and soft for sleeping flat on the back, and then another high side one for side sleeping. It's pretty easy to make the switch while rolling over, hardly an extra effort when done in the general motion of untwisting the underwear and such,

Good luck finding a non-freezing topper--hope you didn't stick to it. -- Tet.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:21 am

LATEX

Search latex mattresses or toppers here on BH. You'll find some good links. I'm knee-deep in researching a new mattress no and I'll be going the 'build your own mattress with latex toppers" route. Most latex mattresses are a 8-10 inch layered combo of 1, 2, or 3 inch latex toppers of various firmness (ILD or pound-density values).

Latex (mattress or toppers) will have a 20+ year life with no "softening" like the foam types.

Latex sleeps much cooler than foam types and are very comfortable in general.

Look into the difference between dunlop and talalay latex.

You could invest in a latex topper now to extend your mattress until you move, then, when you do move, dump the mattress and pick up 2-3 additional latex toppers to yield a premium mattress that will last 20+ years. Vendors have a zip-up cover to make them look just like a traditional mattress.

Latex mattresses lay on a solid-surface foundation. The traditional "box spring" is, or has gone, the way of the buggy whip(applies to innerspring mattresses also).

I'm all for local bricks and mortar..but..they're asking $3K-$5K with less flexibility and adjustment warranty. Online you can assemble a dunlop-talalay mix latex mattress for $1500 to $1800, delivered. If your body changes in 10 years..buy a single new (firmer or softer) slab of latex for a few hundred$ to make an adjustment..not a new mattress$$$.

Latex pillows too..very comfortable, not hot, and they won't flatten out in a month or two.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:03 am

fishboat wrote:LATEX

Search latex mattresses or toppers here on BH. You'll find some good links. I'm knee-deep in researching a new mattress no and I'll be going the 'build your own mattress with latex toppers" route. Most latex mattresses are a 8-10 inch layered combo of 1, 2, or 3 inch latex toppers of various firmness (ILD or pound-density values).

Latex (mattress or toppers) will have a 20+ year life with no "softening" like the foam types.

Latex sleeps much cooler than foam types and are very comfortable in general.

Look into the difference between dunlop and talalay latex.

You could invest in a latex topper now to extend your mattress until you move, then, when you do move, dump the mattress and pick up 2-3 additional latex toppers to yield a premium mattress that will last 20+ years. Vendors have a zip-up cover to make them look just like a traditional mattress.

Latex mattresses lay on a solid-surface foundation. The traditional "box spring" is, or has gone, the way of the buggy whip(applies to innerspring mattresses also).

I'm all for local bricks and mortar..but..they're asking $3K-$5K with less flexibility and adjustment warranty. Online you can assemble a dunlop-talalay mix latex mattress for $1500 to $1800, delivered. If your body changes in 10 years..buy a single new (firmer or softer) slab of latex for a few hundred$ to make an adjustment..not a new mattress$$$.

Latex pillows too..very comfortable, not hot, and they won't flatten out in a month or two.
My hiking plans for the day just got washed out..so I'm back working on the research..you'll find these two threads particularly helpful. They discuss mattresses, but in the latex world a mattress is a stack of toppers, so the discussion applies to toppers just as well.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=184639&p=2803120&h ... s#p2803120

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=179161&p=2765206&h ... 1#p2765206

..And I'd give the "MattressUndergound" a solid "meh" rating. L-o-n-g on verbiage..and too much work to find useful nuggets of info. The VOLUME of verbiage just contributes to information overload..which conventional mattress-topper sales channels like...makes for easier sales.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:05 am

Purchased 2 of these mattress toppers almost 4 years ago,,
Still in excellent condition :happy

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NP ... detailpage
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:13 am

:beer

I have a latex mattress from Costco and a latex topper from Foam By Mail aka Foam Factory. I'm very happy with the build your own mattress in layers for your own personal taste.

They are about 5 years old now and show no signs of wear.

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:23 am

Ged wrote:
:beer
Saying just "LATEX" reminds me of the movie The Graduate

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.
Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Actually, in 1967, One Word, "Plastics" as a new career choice was excellent advice.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:42 am

I don't know anything about mattress toppers, but I'm very happy with the memory foam pillow I bought two years ago. I've found a good pillow makes more of a difference than the mattress. http://www.amazon.com/Sealy-Memory-Foam ... B00EFB4RUE

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:06 pm

Like a poster above, I had a mattress that got dents in the pillowtop so I did mattress surgery. I replaced the stupid pillowtop with a latex topper I got from Amazon. I've used it 3 years with no sign of wearing out or whatever.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C6 ... detailpage

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:15 pm

I have a 3" pure Talalay latex topper that I am happy with.

What you need to do is find a showroom that will allow you to test mattresses, pads, etc and will be honest with you about their stats...with latex the one you should be most concerned with is ILD, which is a measure of firmness (as well as Dunlop vs Talalay, since IMHO they have a different feel). Write down the ILD of the one you find most comfortable, and then find a topper (perhaps online) that closely matches your specs at a good price.

Avoid chains like Sleepy's.....you will be hard-pressed to get any reliable information from them. I used a local, high-end, "boutique" shop with a good inventory. I then found what I was looking for at about half their quoted price by going online.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:17 pm

I have a 3" pure Talalay latex topper that I am happy with.

What you need to do is find a showroom that will allow you to test mattresses, pads, etc and will be honest with you about their stats...with latex the one you should be most concerned with is ILD, which is a measure of firmness (as well as Dunlop vs Talalay, since IMHO they have a different feel). Write down the ILD of the one you find most comfortable, and then find a topper (perhaps online) that closely matches your specs at a good price.

Avoid chains like Sleepy's.....you will be hard-pressed to get any reliable information from them. I used a local, high-end, "boutique" shop with a good inventory. I then found what I was looking for at about half their quoted price by going online. I did the same when mattress shopping.