Honda Care Extended Warranty experience?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mervinj7

Honda Care Extended Warranty experience?

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:06 pm

We are in the market for a Honda AWD CR-V. We don't usually consider extended warranties on anything and the Honda version can be pricey if you buy directly from the dealer who sells you the car. However, after readings some suggestions in previous threads on this forum, we got a couple of quotes from online dealers including Saccucci and Curry Honda. For example, a 7 Year/100k mile Honda Care plan from Saccucci goes for $950. We are considering getting it because we are concerned about the long-term reliability of the all the electronics that are in the Honda (e.g. power lift gate, various cameras, infotainment system). Some of the cost will be offset by dropping our emergency roadside coverage through Geico ($36/year).

Link for anybody that wants to look it up: http://www.saccuccihondacare.com/coverage.php
Although they are based out of Rhode Island, the Honda Care warranty is valid at pretty much any Honda dealership in the country.
  • Does anybody have any experience actually using their Honda Care warranty?
    What was the experience like and do you consider the purchase of Honda Care worth it?
    How did you decide on the length of miles and number of years?

Toons

Re: Honda Care Extended Warranty experience?

Post by Toons » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 pm

This reply probably doesn't help you but...
I have a 2015 CRV and never considered an extended warranty.
Then again I have never purchased a new vehicle extended warranty
I am counting on Honda quality to endure as time goes by,
If not,,I will pay for repairs and stay self insured.
It is not my first Honda and I have had good ownership experience. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:30 pm

Statistically speaking, you are money ahead to avoid the Honda Care Extended Warranty. Extended warranties are one of the best money makers for the automotive industry. You also are covered bumper to bumper for the first three years or 36,000 miles anyway which should catch most of the defective workmanship that is covered in Honda Care.

verbose

Post by verbose » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Honda also does a good job of retroactively covering "stuff that shouldn't break." My 2008 Civic with 100k miles has had exactly two problems (so far) that were not expected maintenance, accident damage or damage caused by incompetent mechanics. First, the sun visor split. Honda covered it (warranty was up, this was a recall). Second, and of much greater import than a sun visor, the engine block began seeping coolant. Honda had a technical service bulletin covering the engine block for up to 10 years, no mileage cap. My old car now has a new engine block, free.

Of course, the incompetent mechanics were those at the Honda dealer who replaced the engine block and somehow broke stuff they had no business touching and then denied doing it. And that's a problem with warranty work--you can't pick the best mechanic to do the job. You have more control over your own dollars paying the mechanic of your choice.

scienceguy

Post by scienceguy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:43 pm

Great question. We have an Odyssey and CRV both bought from local dealer and purchased Hondacare for both online from the dealers you mention. We do it because the warranties are pretty cheap (at cost - the online dealers live off the bonus Honda gives them for big sale #s). We do it because our local dealer is super convenient and their service department very very good, and the extended warranty enables us to take the car to the dealer anytime there is a problem without all the anxiety of potential cost. We are not trying to save $ in the long run, but feel like it probably roughly evens out and the convenience factor is worth it. I would only buy the warranty if there is a local, very convenient, and very good dealer that you would be happy to use. But, in general I think Hondacare is waonderful as long as you get it at cost from the online dealers.

Errantflyer

Post by Errantflyer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Although the conventional wisdom is that extended warranties are a bad deal, I have had the pleasure of a major transmission repair that was fixed by a dealer under the EW at no cost after the 3yr/36 K basic warranty ran out. It was pure heaven!

We buy new cars and typically run them for 10+ years to get our maximum value from them.

I recently bought a 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid with all the bells and whistles. My dealer did not offer either Honda of America GAP insurance or a genuine Honda extended warranty. I did the same online search that you did and bought a 8 year/120 K Honda EW for a negotiated $ 1,400 and think I got good value for my money. I chose the longest period possible to get the most bang for the buck. At 5 years beyond the manufacturers basic warranty, my cost for protection per year is $280/year. Considering that "book rate" repairs increase at a fast rate despite what the CPI says, I consider it a good buy.

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:13 pm

I didn't buy an extended Hondacare warranty for my 2007 Accord and came out ahead because nothing ever came up. I did buy a Hondacare warranty from my 2008 Hondacare warranty and nothing ever came up, so I was behind on that one. I have a 2011 Honda Oddessey that is under extended warranty for another year. The one "major" repair that I had was something that Honda got class-action sued over so they basically made that a covered repair even if you were out of warranty. I'm guessing that, unless something goes REALLY wrong, that I'll end up wasting money on that warranty too.

Of course, I had a Ford and didn't buy the extended warranty because it only went to 60K miles (this was about 16 years ago) and ended up having a ton of things happen that would have been covered. I took my dad's advice who said "Nothing ever happens to a car before $60K miles". :D

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 pm

I have owned Hondas for 30 years and have never bought an extended warranty. Though there certainly are exceptions, my Hondas seem to run forever without major problems. That said, I do trade before hitting 100,000 miles.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:38 am

Thanks for all the responses folks. We also run our vehicles to the ground but our current 2004 VW Jetta with 140k miles has needed a whole bunch of repairs in the past two years (we still love Violetta though). Though I'm less concerned with the Honda powertrain breaking down, I'm more concerned with all those bells and whistles falling apart. As my wife puts it, more buttons, more problems.

Since the first three years are already covered, it's essentially another $250/year for an additional four years. From that perspective, it doesn't seem too bad. Though I understand that self-insuring is viable and common alternative, especially on this forum.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:43 am

mervinj7 wrote:Thanks for all the responses folks. We also run our vehicles to the ground but our current 2004 VW Jetta with 140k miles has needed a whole bunch of repairs in the past two years (we still love Violetta though). Though I'm less concerned with the Honda powertrain breaking down, I'm more concerned with all those bells and whistles falling apart. As my wife puts it, more buttons, more problems.

Since the first three years are already covered, it's essentially another $250/year for an additional four years. From that perspective, it doesn't seem too bad. Though I understand that self-insuring is viable and common alternative, especially on this forum.
I would NOT get it. Here are the reasons:

1. Its a Honda. Even if you have to fix something out of warranty its not going to be very high. When things break the car will typically be quite old (I am thinking upwards of 7-8 years). At that point you can decide if you want to keep the car or not depending on what the issue is.
2. From the link you sent, here is the document excerpt of what is not covered from "sample contract" pdf:

IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
electronic/audio accessories; navigational and security systems and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN Honda AUTHORIZED electronic /
audio accessories /NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision

Rather than asking what is covered ask them what is NOT covered. Ask them what this para. means. Ask them specific things -- say if radio breaks, nav stops working, DVD stops working, or whatever else your wife is worried about.

I get that you are worried about new model year issues -- but its a Honda. It won't break in a major way, and fixing whatever breaks is not as costly.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:00 am

I also have a 2015 Cr-V and never considered purchasing the warranty. I do have the infamous vibration at idle issue which has been somewhat mitigated by a Honda fix. It is still there but less pronounced as before. A deal breaker for some.

gary11

Post by gary11 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:21 am

mervinj7 wrote: What was the experience like and do you consider the purchase of Honda Care worth it?
My experience with CR-V is not directly related with Honda Care but I think it may some worth to you. I bought brand new 2008 Honda CR-V in January 2008 and in Summer 2010 we noticed the air-condition kind of stopped cooling the car completely. It was somewhat puzzling as our trips hardly takes more than 20 to 30 minutes and it was one of the warmer Summers temperature-wise on record and we were not sure if it was just the AC or we being overly sensitive and whether we should wait. I decided to see the dealer anyway and indeed they found leaky compressor or something and replaced the whole system and since it was under warranty it didn't cost me anything. Had I waited for next year I would have been out of warranty and I would have ended up paying out of my pocket for this repair without extended warranty.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:23 am

TheOscarGuy wrote: 2. From the link you sent, here is the document excerpt of what is not covered from "sample contract" pdf:

IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
electronic/audio accessories; navigational and security systems and cellular telephones other than AMERICAN Honda AUTHORIZED electronic /
audio accessories /NAVIGATIONAL, DVD ENTERTAINMENT AND SECURITY SYSTEMS; Safety Restraint System fastening hardware; seat belts and airbag(s) deployed due to collision

Rather than asking what is covered ask them what is NOT covered. Ask them what this para. means. Ask them specific things -- say if radio breaks, nav stops working, DVD stops working, or whatever else your wife is worried about.

I get that you are worried about new model year issues -- but its a Honda. It won't break in a major way, and fixing whatever breaks is not as costly.
I read that as Honda navigation system is covered, but third-party nav systems are not. I agree with your point that an extended warranty that didn't cover the major electronics in the car would not be worth much, but I don't think that applies here.

I owned a 2007 CRV and read around that a nav system replacement is around $3,000. So if that's your main fear, you can either go ahead and secure your loss at $950 for the warranty now, or take a chance and maybe (or maybe not) have to pay $3,000 later. Or, perhaps the nav system breaks at 7 years old; you might simply choose not to replace it and avoid the expense entirely.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 am

One thing to check on is that you can usually buy the manufactures extended warranty at any time before the three year warranty runs out. If you don't buy one now you will get letters in the mail every few months trying to sell you one for the next three years.

Waiting to buy one may also help you avoid buying one only to have the car totaled during the first three years.

After having had the car for a while you might decide that you really don't need an extended warranty.

Be sure to read and understand all the details of your regular warranties. In addition to the full warranty there is usually a power-train warranty that that goes five years or 60K miles. The emission warranty may vary by state but it may even go longer.

Getting a 7 year warranty may not really cover a lot of then big repairs for very long since they already have a lot of coverage.

I once had a car with about 45k miles that would not start and I had it towed to a dealer that evening after the service department was closed. I talked to them the first thing in the morning and they were going to call me back later to get approval for any work before they did it. I had not heard back from them by lunch time so I was a little ticked off so I called them. It turned out that the cars computer had failed and was being replaced under the emission warranty and they were just waiting until the car was done to call me.

psystal

Post by psystal » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 am

My family has bought Hondas exclusively for years.

Why?

So we never need a warranty.

mickroark

Post by mickroark » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:00 am

I don't know about Honda but I buy Chrysler Jeep Cherokees, and have never even considered a extended warrantee. I have a 1997 Jeep with 450,000 miles on it, and only did routine maintenance to it.

I just bought a 2016 Jeep Cherokee for my wife, and sales person really pushed the extended warrantee on me. The dealer told me that by law, they have to offer this to the customers. Never bought one though.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:05 am

I had it for my 2006 Pilot - same dealer as you quoted online. It was good for me I guess. There was a NY times article posted on the forum over the w/e looking at some prices Amazon and other online retailers state are MSRP but really are over marked up and then sold for regular price making you feel like you got a deal. I think to some extent that is true of car repairs in general that are covered under that warranty.

I had a power window on the drivers side not work - covered under extended warranty - savings off the repair was about $500 - but a mechanic friend of mine said that his shop would have charged about $250 for the repair (parts and labor combined). I had an A/C issue - $600 - fixed no charge - again - when I looked on line and called a couple of repair shops just to get estimates - about $300 to fix paying cash. I am not saying that it is not worth it - the peace of mind is invaluable. But the deal is probably not as good as we think - and others have pointed out. Hope that helps...

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

" Is it worth buying an extended car warranty? Peace of mind comes at a cost"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:19 am

Mervin:
Satisfaction with auto­mobile extended warranties is among the lower rated of all products and services surveyed by Consumer Reports, and why only about a quarter of respondents said they would definitely get it again.
This is a link to the article:

Is it worth buying an extended car warranty? Peace of mind comes at a cost

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:53 am

I bought a 2015 demo Accord in November and the dealership I bought from automatically extends the basic Honda warranty. Find a dealership that offers the same thing if you want extra piece of mind (I didn't know dealerships did this). I had a 1996 Honda Accord before this and based on that experience I wouldn't get an extended warranty. I had two issues with 96 Honda that fell outside the warranty period but Honda took care of the issues anyway which cost them ~5k.

damnilocano

Post by damnilocano » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:20 pm

I purchased a 5yr/100k for $750 from Saccucci for our 2012 Odyssey. We had one of the automatic sliding doors have trouble closing that was fixed. I am a little frustrated with our rear view camera. It cuts in and out at random times. Of course, the Honda techs have to replicate it at the dealer for them to fix it under warranty. We're at 80k.

Would I buy it again.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:04 pm

mervinj7 wrote:Does anybody have any experience actually using their Honda Care warranty?
Had one on my S2000. Never used since it was so reliable. It ended up being a waste. Got it from Saccucci, IIRC.

It might have helped with getting assistance from Honda and the dealer on a replacement convertible top (considered a wear item) after the base warranty expired but I can't say for certain.
mervinj7 wrote:What was the experience like and do you consider the purchase of Honda Care worth it?
Not in my experience. That said, if I had a lot of problems I might have had a different take on the matter. Regardless, worth is highly subjective no matter what the topic. It's not really about the warranty itself. You can't just poll others to determine if it is worth it to you. There will be those that found it worthwhile and those that did not on any topic. On the whole the odds favor the house and that's why they sell extended warranties. It's really about you and, therefore, your call to make. Are you the type that wants the peace of mind from an extended warranty and are you willing to pay for that peace of mind?
mervinj7 wrote: How did you decide on the length of miles and number of years?
How long do you intend to keep it? What fits your budget? Use that to help you decide.
mervinj7 wrote:Though I'm less concerned with the Honda powertrain breaking down, I'm more concerned with all those bells and whistles falling apart. As my wife puts it, more buttons, more problems.
Carefully read the terms of the warranties and make sure that those items are covered. IIRC there were different tiers of coverage that varied in how much was covered and even the top tier didn't necessarily cover everything. However, I may be confusing Hondacare with Nissan's and/or Lexus's extended warranty programs as we did look into those as well.
Last edited by takeshi on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 pm

takeshi wrote:
mervinj7 wrote: How did you decide on the length of miles and number of years?
How long do you intend to keep it? What fits your budget?
Our current car (2004 Jetta) has 135k miles and is 12 years old but has recently become quite unreliable. We plan on keeping our new car for a similar time frame (or longer if it lasts). Our budget for the warranty was around $1000 if we got it.

Based on the advice here, we are going to at the very least delay the purchase of the warranty for a few months (no price change if less than 6k miles). That way, we get a feel for the CRV, see its flaws, and evaluate whether or not its a vehicle we'll keep for over a decade.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:20 pm

For our new CR-V, it looks like Geico tried to auto-enroll us in Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for $38.70 for 6 months with a $250 deductible. I cancelled it but I can add it later as long as the new car is within the first 15 months/15k miles. Anybody have any experience with the MBI? My concern would be that, unlike a pre purchased extended warranty, there's nothing stopping Geico from raising rates in the future.

https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsproc ... wn-claims/

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:40 pm

When I bought my Honda Accord in 2007, I initially bought the extended warranty from the dealer, since it seemed like a good deal. A few days later I found what I thought was a better deal, so cancelled the one purchased from the dealer and bought the other one. I never ended up needing to use it, but having it gave me some peace of mind (warranted or not).

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Spylake

Post by Spylake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Maybe this is a different take ...

On a $42,000 Ridgeline the added costs ($1299 96Mo/120k mile bought online) is about 2.7% of the out the door price.

I understand the mind set of owners that have owned several Hondas and never had a covered repair that cost that much. Obviously Honda would not sell it if the law of averages wasn't very much in their favor. In the general case extended warranties are not good value for appliances, electronics and cameras etc.

But the Honda Care case is somewhat different.

In point form
  • 1 I can afford $1,295 but not so easily a tranny or engine repair
    2 Two of the last three Honda's I've owned needed AC repairs (must be the Florida heat AC used 365 days/yr) that almost matched the EW cost so in those two cases I basically broke even.
    3 The wait for a second gen Ridgeline was frustrating because my habit is to replace every 6 years and 100k miles. So typically I can transfer 1-2 years and 20K miles to the next owner and that really helps get me top dollar for my used vehicle. I can't prove it but I estimate I get much of the cost of the warranty back in the better resale price. It sure make reselling a lot easier. Plus I never have to worry about a call that I sold someone a lemon
    4 Unlike say a laptop warranty that costs as much as a third of the computer and only runs 3-4 years, the 2.7% cost of the car warranty is a much better ratio.
    5 The peace of mind value should not be discounted either.
    6 Lastly, while Honda knows the odds are in their favor there is an economic factor that works in our favor. Honda pays the dealer quite a bit less than the retail price of a repair. In my last AC example The quoted cost to me was (from memory) $700 labor and $800 parts. However the Honda repair schedule may have reimbursed the dealer only say $500 for the labor and the internal cost to Honda for the repair parts was maybe $300. So Honda is basing the price of the warranty on their internal cost to service it while we are getting the benefit of the larger retail cost of the repair. Call it a win win for Honda and us. The dealer is the one getting squeezed in the middle but I'm sure they are still doing just fine.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:56 pm

spylake, I agree. I ended up getting the HondaCare warranty from Saccucci Honda a few months after I bought the car. With all the new electronics in this car, we feel better having the peace of mind.

keithintx

Post by keithintx » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:47 pm

We purchased two Hondas last November, a 2015 CRV and a 2013 Accord. We also purchased the no deductible Hondacare through the dealership you have found. So far we have not used it for the CRV but I have had to use it for my Accord when the AC system failed. The AC compressor and suction line were replaced (plus some smaller components that probably were only replaced since the system was opened up) under the Hondacare warranty and it did not cost me anything. They did provide me with the standard bill showing me the cost and it was something like $1750 so the warranty has essentially paid for itself in my case. Apparently in its installation location the AC compressor is prone to damage from road debris - or atleast that what people have written on the internet complaining about the problem.

Yes its a Honda with a Honda body, motor and transmission and those are probably not the components that are going to fail. Its the component Honda has purchased that I worry about. Look at the Takata airbag recall - its a subbed out component that is costing them lots of money to fix.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:04 am

Sorry to bring this thread back....

Just purchased a 2017 CRV Touring (paid cash) and I am considering buying the Honda Care warranty since this vehicle is completely new line with many electronic parts. Looks like about $1000 for 8 year 120K mile plan. I have had mixed experience with Honda, have a 2013 Accord with 66k miles no problems. Had a 2000 odyssey with transmission problems at 100K. My thinking is it is sleep insurance for any major problem. I plan to keep the CRV for at least 10 years.

So what would a Boglehead do?

Thanks

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 am

I would get the warranty, just consider it as part of the price of buying the car and peace of mind....... Of course, I presume you are not stretching your finances to buy this warranty.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 am

Mrxyz wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:20 am
I would get the warranty, just consider it as part of the price of buying the car and peace of mind....... Of course, I presume you are not stretching your finances to buy this warranty.
Nope the $$ I saved buying a 2017 vs 2018, $2900 will pay for it. :beer

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:50 am

I bought the warranty on my 2017 Civic Touring. It is cheap insurance; however, like any insurance, I'm still hoping that I don't have any claims (especially life insurance!).

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:31 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:04 am

Just purchased a 2017 CRV Touring (paid cash) and I am considering buying the Honda Care warranty since this vehicle is completely new line with many electronic parts. Looks like about $1000 for 8 year 120K mile plan. I have had mixed experience with Honda, have a 2013 Accord with 66k miles no problems. Had a 2000 odyssey with transmission problems at 100K. My thinking is it is sleep insurance for any major problem. I plan to keep the CRV for at least 10 years.

Thanks
You may be able to save hundreds of dollars by purchasing the Honda factory warranty online from another dealer, and Majestic Honda in Rhode Island may still offer them. And it is the real factory warranty. As I recall, you have to contact them to buy one.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 am

I've owned or still own three Hondas; 98 Civic, 01 CR-V and 07 Odyssey. None of them ever had something occur in the first 7 years or 100k miles that wasn't covered under a recall.

The 01 CR-V turned out to be a real piece of junk but those problems didn't start occurring until around 140k miles and it was already 10 years old.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am

[/quote]

You may be able to save hundreds of dollars by purchasing the Honda factory warranty online from another dealer, and Majestic Honda in Rhode Island may still offer them. And it is the real factory warranty. As I recall, you have to contact them to buy one.
[/quote]

Yep that is where I got a quote from.....thanks.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:34 pm

TLC1957 wrote:

Thanks
I'm the OP on this thread from 2016. In the end, we ended up getting the warranty for a couple of reasons. Our main concern was all the additional electronics that are relatively new and untested at the time. For the 2016 Touring edition, these include the power lift gate, the 3 LCD displays, side view camera on passenger side, backup cam with turn lanes, automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane departure warning. Could these last 10 years? Probably, but fixing any one of them is quite expensive.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:34 pm
TLC1957 wrote:

Thanks
I'm the OP on this thread from 2016. In the end, we ended up getting the warranty for a couple of reasons. Our main concern was all the additional electronics that are relatively new and untested at the time. For the 2016 Touring edition, these include the power lift gate, the 3 LCD displays, side view camera on passenger side, backup cam with turn lanes, automatic braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane departure warning. Could these last 10 years? Probably, but fixing any one of them is quite expensive.

Thanks for the update.
I am 'waiting' for the 2018 Pilot to come out....
What website do you get the best price for warranty?

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 pm

Go with a Toyota Highlander and skip the extended warranty :)
IMHO.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

Mrxyz wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm
Thanks for the update.
I got quotes from the following:
http://www.curryhondacare.com
http://www.saccucci.com

Other Honda Care sites include (but were not available in CA at the time):
http://www.hyannishondacare.com
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/HC.html

For OEM parts, I've gotten a few items (i.e. splash guards, tire security nuts, cargo mat, side molding) from
http://www.bernardiparts.com

For buying the CR-V, I got quotes over email from the ten closest dealers to me. I just went with the cheapest since I knew I wasn't going to get any other add-ons from the dealer directly (see above for warranty and accessory purchases).

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am
Mrxyz wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:25 pm
Thanks for the update.
I got quotes from the following:
http://www.curryhondacare.com
http://www.saccucci.com

Other Honda Care sites include (but were not available in CA at the time):
http://www.hyannishondacare.com
http://www.collegehillshonda.com/HC.html

For OEM parts, I've gotten a few items (i.e. splash guards, tire security nuts, cargo mat, side molding) from
http://www.bernardiparts.com

For buying the CR-V, I got quotes over email from the ten closest dealers to me. I just went with the cheapest since I knew I wasn't going to get any other add-ons from the dealer directly (see above for warranty and accessory purchases).
So where did you end up buying the warranty from the list of dealers you listed?

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 am

Cars in general regardless of manufacturer are becoming more complicated each model year. IMHO you cannot compare the owner experience from a 2008 in considering an extended warranty on a 2018 as the cars are two different animals. Sure, Hondas are known for solid mechanical reliability but consider the amount of electronics in the newer models. Entertainment systems, transmissions, multiple computers,etc. I never thought I would think this way but i now consider an extended warranty a must have if you plan to own the car a long time. I previously avoided them. You need to shop the cost accordingly as others have mentioned. Cost of ownership continues to be a runaway train...................

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:05 pm
So where did you end up buying the warranty from the list of dealers you listed?
Sacucci since I could do it all online and pay using PayPal.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:10 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for your update. We have a '16 Odyssey and purchased the extended warranty for the exact reasons I bolded above.

I agree with Frisco Kid above. While Hondas have historically been reliable, historically, they have never had this much electronic equipment inside them. I think the anti-warranty "I've owned Hondas for 30 years, never had a problem" mindset needs to be revisited with the considerable leap in technology we've seen put into vehicles over the last decade.

P.S. You didn't mention our biggest concern: the two automatic sliding doors.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 pm

mephistophles wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:32 pm
I have owned Hondas for 30 years and have never bought an extended warranty. Though there certainly are exceptions, my Hondas seem to run forever without major problems. That said, I do trade before hitting 100,000 miles.
Same here on the 30 years. The only extended warranty I bought was on my 2007 Acura CSX because it was a demo and they gave me a very low price on the warranty. I still have it with 160k miles on it. Never a problem, just replaced the clutch once. Only vehicle I ever had an issue with was a 2010 Odyssey which had transmission issues.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:29 am

Frisco Kid wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 am
Cars in general regardless of manufacturer are becoming more complicated each model year. IMHO you cannot compare the owner experience from a 2008 in considering an extended warranty on a 2018 as the cars are two different animals. Sure, Hondas are known for solid mechanical reliability but consider the amount of electronics in the newer models. Entertainment systems, transmissions, multiple computers,etc. I never thought I would think this way but i now consider an extended warranty a must have if you plan to own the car a long time. I previously avoided them. You need to shop the cost accordingly as others have mentioned. Cost of ownership continues to be a runaway train...................
With all of the electronics, this makes me wonder about the future ability to find independent mechanics who will even work on these cars. As it stands, I'm having a hard enough time finding a decent indy mechanic in my area who won't screw up a basic oil change...

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:40 am

Thank god I have my base 2016 Civic lx with a manual transmission.

The only electronics on that car are the windows, side mirror adjusters, and radio.

I declined the extended warranty :D

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 am

I purchased a 1985 Mustang GT sweet car new, went with manual windows vs automatic was worrying about the electric motors going:shock:
The 85 was the last year they used a carburetor on the engine before switching to fuel injection. Fast forward to 2017 buying a 2017 Touring CRV with so much electronics multiple cameras, air bags, and computers, boy has my thinking changed :P

bobat

Post by bobat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm

I bought an 8-year Honda Care warranty (from College Hills, I believe) for my new 2008 CR-V. That car was ridiculously reliable - never had a single thing fail - ever. Until about four months before the warranty expired the A/C compressor went out and they covered the $1,000 repair. Found out later the A/C was a known issue and Honda probably would have comped the repair.

Bought a 2017 CR-V and skipped the extended warranty this time.

Bsmarts

Post by Bsmarts » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:57 am

lans for vehicles under 6,000 miles. Plans start on the day vehicle was first sold, and 0 miles.
$0 deductible plans

Plan Code D34 D46 D56 D50 D58 D68 D60 D62 D72 D70 D78 D80 D82
Plan Length 36/45k 48/60k 60/60k 60/100k 60/80k 72/80k 72/100k 72/120k 84/120k 84/100k 84/80k 96/100k 96/120k
Base Price $410 $540 $560 $800 $690 $715 $845 $955 $1,055 $950 $765 $1,035 $1,170
Paypal Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy

$100 deductible plans

Plan Code C58 C50 C68 C60 C62 C72 C70 C78 C80 C82
Plan Length 60/80k 60/100k 72/80k 72/100k 72/120k 84/120k 84/100k 84/80k 96/100k 96/120k
Base Price $585 $695 $610 $740 $850 $950 $845 $660 $930 $1,065
Paypal Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy Buy

Bsmarts

Post by Bsmarts » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:59 am

I did just that!!! Thank you for your post. Saved me thousands!!
You can even add the planned maintenance plan.

Plumbob

Post by Plumbob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:13 am

Bsmarts, where did you get those prices or buy it from.