Mac laptop vs. Windows 7 (or 10) laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mancich

Mac laptop vs. Windows 7 (or 10) laptop

Post by mancich »

Hello all,

My sister is in the market for a new laptop. it will only be used for web surfing, e-mail, and light tasks (Word, a little Excel, that's about it).
She asked my opinion, and while I like Apple products, I don't really see the point in spending $900 and up for a Mac laptop. Just got a used Dell Latitude on e-bay with Core i7 and 8 gig of ram, with Windows 7 for $349 and love it. I advised her to just get a simple laptop with sufficient ram, running Windows 7, and call it a day. I could sense from her lack of reaction that she will probably ignore it; her husband loves to blow money. It's their money, so I don't really care what they end up buying, but am curious about other opinions here on the forum.

Thanks.
Valdeselad

Re: Mac laptop vs. Windows 7 (or 10) laptop

Post by Valdeselad »

Seems like a better candidate for a tablet IMO.

Even with the occasional Word/Excel/other task, there are a myriad of Bluetooth keyboards that can be attached and/or connected for a more "laptop-like" experience...
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Yep. They've already got a relatively new iPad. Like I said, my brother-in-law loves to blow money
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

Personal experience is a great teacher. I don't buy computers frequently. When I do, I expect them to last.

I've had Windows desktops/laptops for decades. A few years ago I decided to try An Apple desktop after purchasing Apple laptops for my college aged kids.

Bottom line, I won't go back to Windows products because of reliability and virus/malware/spyware/popup issues. It's worth the extra $$$.

Ultimately, it's your choice.
Last edited by Swampy on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Chromebook :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I prefer Mac products. They cost more, but they do last longer and are easier to use once you figure it out. The software is not a constant headache and there is not as much marketing nonsense on the machine when you get it.

I used Windows products for years, but am unlikely to ever go back. Too much drama.
matonplayer

Post by matonplayer »

Used Lenovo laptop and then install Ubuntu. :)
arizonaslim

Post by arizonaslim »

I spend a lot of time around techies. (I'm a member of a coworking space.)

Have noticed that, at this and other coworking spaces, Mac laptops are extremely popular. So, being the curious type, I ask my fellow coworkers why they like Macs so much.

I keep hearing the words "reliability" and "durability."

And that's making me want to choose a Mac laptop as the replacement for this PC.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

From someone who works in IT:

- MacBooks are pretty. They're a status symbol. They make a statement.
- MacBooks are great for IT geeks and artsy people. Other than those 2 groups of users, I think you'd have a hard time justifying the need/cost (other than for the reason above).
- For your typical long-time Windows user, don't underestimate the PITA it will be to learn a new OS, new apps, and re-learn how to do trivial tasks.
- MS Office on OSX can be frustrating
- Make sure you review what application she needs. Some are not ported to OS X. Forget most games.
- You can probably buy a Dell or Lenovo of equivalent hardware specs for 1/2 of the cost of the Apple w/o looking too hard.

MacBooks are nice machines - no doubt. They're also very hard to justify, for most, financially.
While patching & AV are less important on OS X, as they continue to gain market, that will fade... since they will be targeted increasingly more.
And if that's your only argument, then running Ubuntu or your favorite distro on a PC laptop would get you there too.

In conclusion, I'll point you back to my first statement....
Last edited by killjoy2012 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

arizonaslim wrote: I keep hearing the words "reliability" and "durability."
Everybody has their opinion, but "reliability and durability" are not two words I would use to describe the experience my wife and I have had with MACs. In particular, my wife's current Macbook Pro has been a constant headache. We both use them for work, but if I was paying for them for personal use it is not what I would pick.
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thanks all for the replies. I think a lot of the hardware is similar, is it not? Hard drives (or SSD's). RAM, Intel processors. I think the OS is the biggest difference, and having used Mac and Windows in the past, I really don't see what is so difficult about using a Windows PC, at least for her needs. Opening a web browser on either platform is simple, and Office is easier on Windows.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Among my many "friends" on the social networks, probably about as many have Macs as have Windows. I see just as many if not more complaints and requests for help from Mac users about failed hardware, slowdowns, things that used to work no longer working, as well as the occasional browser misbehavior that sounds a lot like malware. The main advantage I see for Mac, at least for the less technical people, is being able to take it to a local Apple store for help when it breaks. But I also see stories about the "geniuses" there who can't fix the problem or overwrite the hard drive without ensuing the customer had backups. Sounds much like the Geek Squad experiences some people have with their Windows machines.

I'm a longtime Windows user and computer professional, but have used Macs briefly a few times at friends and relatives homes. In one case we couldn't get it to play a video until we rebooted. In another case the owner couldn't get the HDMI output to a TV to display what we wanted (apparently a case of poor UI in the Apple settings).

Based on my (brief) first and second hand experiences, Apple computers are not significantly different than Windows in reliability or ease of use.
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

One word..............

Mac
haywoodkb

Post by haywoodkb »

Buy a slightly used Windows 7 machine for cheap, and put the money you saved in an indexed mutual fund. Upgrade the win7 machine to Windows 10 for free. :happy
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I believe IBM is rolling out macs for users and they're finding that mac users require less support than windows users.
http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/m ... id/1322698

I spent 25+ years with DOS/Windows and switched to Mac in 2014. It took me about a week to get used to Mac OS and trackpad. It now bugs me whenever I have to use windows. Mac OS is much less trouble than Windows. I bought the macbook pro mid 2012, and then upgraded RAM to 16GB and installed a 1TB SSD.
Wiki
sambb

Post by sambb »

killjoy2012 wrote:From someone who works in IT:

- MacBooks are great for IT geeks and artsy people. Other than those 2 groups of users, I think you'd have a hard time justifying the need/cost (other than for the reason above).
- For your typical long-time Windows user, don't underestimate the PITA it will be to learn a new OS, new apps, and re-learn how to do trivial tasks.
- Make sure you review what application she needs. Some are not ported to OS X. Forget most games.
- You can probably buy a Dell or Lenovo of equivalent hardware specs for 1/2 of the cost of the Apple w/o looking too hard.

MacBooks are nice machines - no doubt. They're also very hard to justify, for most, financially.
While patching & AV are less important on OS X, as they continue to gain market, that will fade... since they will be targeted increasingly more.
And if that's your only argument, then running Ubuntu or your favorite distro on a PC laptop would get you there too.

Would disagree strongly.
I would pay 5x the cost of a windows laptop for my mac. Maybe 10x. Maybe more.
It is just so reliable, no issues, no worries about downloads, viruses, it just works, it saves me time and money.
Its value is tremendous, and far over the value of a windows laptop to me. The specs are only one part. A small part. I use both PCs and Macs. The mac is just so far superior, it is a reason the satisfaction is so high with these computers.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

...deleted...

Threads like these are pointless, the longer they go the further off the rails they travel. I regret my participation in them.
Last edited by TimeRunner on Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

Swampy wrote:Personal experience is a great teacher. I don't buy computers frequently. When I do, I expect them to last.

I've had Windows desktops/laptops for decades. A few years ago I decided to try An Apple desktop after purchasing Apple laptops for my college aged kids.

Bottom line, I won't go back to Windows products because of reliability and virus/malware/spyware/popup issues. It's worth the extra $$$.

Ultimately, it's your choice.
My family has had no better luck with apple than the pc line up... and pc's are easier to replace parts yourself... and the parts are usually cheaper.

The extra expense for Apples, as far as reliability... is not warranted. As far as software YMMV.... but in the end, most people get what they simply have the most fun with, other than specialty uses making special movies, music manipulations, or other graphics.

My kids are very computer savy... and do like their toys, but the one who is an EE and Also a CS (two degrees separately in 4 years... swears by Chromebooks. For himself he essentially customized it for his own finicky preferences... but for anyone who does not want to get into the Bios and such things.. he says a simple Chromebook for most people is very good, lightwt, and when it breaks costs very little to replace. Use a good usb i.e a small sized 64 gig to backup all the time on the go, and a HD on a desk for second backup. This of course applies mostly to online work, number crunching, programming, and office type tasks.

Good luck...

M
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

sambb wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:From someone who works in IT:

Would disagree strongly.
It is just so reliable, no issues, no worries about downloads, viruses, it just works, it saves me time and money.
Its value is tremendous, and far over the value of a windows laptop to me. The specs are only one part. A small part. I use both PCs and Macs. The mac is just so far superior, it is a reason the satisfaction is so high with these computers.
I totally agree with sambb...
I have been using Macs since early 2006..
To me, IMHO, my Macs are far superior in every aspect than my Windows PCs.
Yes...they do "just work".
Yes, they cost more; you get what you are willing to pay for as far as I am concerned.
I now have 2 MBP's, 2 iPad's, 2 iPhones, one iMac.
I do want to say that I am not a Microsoft basher; I like W10, and I am a big fan of Bill Gates.
I just have gotten tired of all the viruses, malware, crapware, extra software needed on a pc.
Just my opinion.
Everyone have a great day,
Don
BHUser27

Post by BHUser27 »

My 2 cents...
Some points not mentioned yet -
If sister uses other Apple products (AppleTV, iPhone, iPad, iPod) then there is also some advantage gained from choosing an Apple PC.
My whole family uses the iTunes ecosystem our entertainment (streaming & rental movies, music, "radio", etc) and I find the ease with which we can stream (Airplay) to our TV or music players and share files with one another to be very convenient.
I know there are Windows versions of iTunes and "hacks" to stream a Windows desktop to AppleTV, but nothing compares to having all iOS and OS X devices in a single iTunes/Appstore based eco-system that includes a couple of AppleTV devices as well. It works very seamlessly.
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

My opinion:

-If they have other Apple products, check out the new Mac Book or the base Mac Book Pro. Integration between devices (iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Apple TV, etc...) is so much better and worth the price.

-If they do not have other apple products, i'd simply go the PC windows 10 route. Check out the surface pro.

We switched over to MAC for better device integration and are very happy with our move. Bought mac book pro last year and is best laptop we've owned. DW burns through laptop every 2 years and she comments almost daily how the MAC is 'so much better' and might last longer. Let's hope!

Best,
Sleepy
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

bondsr4me wrote:
sambb wrote: Would disagree strongly.
I totally agree with sambb...
I have been using Macs since early 2006..
To me, IMHO, my Macs are far superior in every aspect than my Windows PCs.
Yes...they do "just work".
I just have gotten tired of all the viruses, malware, crapware, extra software needed on a pc.
You've both just made my point though. You're both describing the benefit of running a unix-based OS vs. Windows. No debate. However, I can go buy any reputable Windows-based laptop, wipe the drive and install any one of a number of Linux OS - Ubuntu, CentOS, etc. and get the same benefits you're praising -- and w/o spending a single dollar more.

My point is you're spending $2000 for that MacBook Pro vs. $1000 for a hardware-equivalent Wintel laptop reloaded with Linux.
The diffence being for that shiny, blingy object that has the apple logo on it.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

I vote for Mac if you can afford it.

I switched from a PC to Mac several years ago and the transition was relatively simple. The real test was having my wife switch over a year later; slightly longer learning curve - probably 3 weeks or so, but she's much happier using the interface and the build quality. She does abuse her computer a bit, rarely restarts restarts it despite running multiple tabs on Google Chrome, Word, powerpoint ... and it still works.

PCs do not provide microsoft office, so you'll have to shell out a couple of hundred of dollars for that. Macs do offer a word processor/spreadsheet/presentation software bundled in, which can be a cost savings there.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I would not only recommend the Mac (for all the aforementioned reasons), but also recommend going with LibreOffice instead of MS Office. It's Office-compatible and free.

But this is a largely subjective call. Everyone derives value differently, and the things I think are "worth it" are things someone else might not care about one bit. That said, for me, I place a lot of value on:
  • Greater ease-of-use and a better-designed GUI overall (Mac OS menus are always pinned to the top instead of floating with the window, making them easier to target, for example)
  • Far, far fewer hassles (malware, registry issues, printer configuration problems, a/v software nags, etc.)
  • Top-notch built-in software that you'll actually use (iMovie, iTunes, etc.)
  • No bloatware (crappy pre-installed third-party "trial" software, etc.)
And yeah, I also place some value on a well-designed industrial product, although not enough for that to justify the price difference alone. Nor is the Apple logo worth the price alone to me (I happily tote around my Android phone instead of an iPhone, for example).

YMMV
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I used a windows computer from the age of 12 -> 23
I switched to a Macbook Pro ~5.5 years ago
I could never switch back

My current Macbook despite being 5.5 years old runs extremely well. The battery only lasts 1-2 hours now and the rubber on the charger cord has gotten brittle and is flaking, I could probably replace both for $250 and keep using it for another 4-5 years.
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

killjoy2012 wrote:
You've both just made my point though. You're both describing the benefit of running a unix-based OS vs. Windows. No debate. However, I can go buy any reputable Windows-based laptop, wipe the drive and install any one of a number of Linux OS - Ubuntu, CentOS, etc. and get the same benefits you're praising -- and w/o spending a single dollar more.

My point is you're spending $2000 for that MacBook Pro vs. $1000 for a hardware-equivalent Wintel laptop reloaded with Linux.
I love Linux and have used as my primary OS for awhile, but getting it working the way you want it is not for the average non-power-user, imo. I feel like it took me 10 years of Linux experience to get to a point where getting a new system running the way I want to and getting around the OS is a trivial matter. A rewarding experience for sure, but still quite a learning curve.

That said, Linux is by far my favorite OS, but after Linux I would choose Windows. I have not had a malware/virus issue on Windows for well over ten years. I find the Apple ecosystem the most restrictive and their hardware insanely overpriced, especially if you need higher specs. Nearly everything being soldered in makes it impossible to upgrade so you are stuck paying the Apple premium upon premium.
Leif

Post by Leif »

I bought a MBP 1 year ago. Before that I was had Windows machines. Very, very happy with the Pro.

I've spent literally days trying to fix my HP windows machine from viruses, even though I have anti-virus software.

If I had to do it over I would have bought a MacBook Air instead of the Pro, but I thought the extra processor power would be useful. I don't think the higher res screen (retina) is much benefit.

If not a Mac I would suggest a Chromebook to save money and avoid viruses. However, their MS Office replacements are a bit different, which could be a issue. Same on the Mac, but on the Mac you can buy Office if desired.
expat

Post by expat »

Chromebook. It just works.
SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan »

Chromebook. Open the lid and it just works. A light weight version of Word & Excel is available via the browser or you can choose Google Docs and Google Sheets instead.
queso

Post by queso »

oneleaf wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:

I love Linux and have used as my primary OS for awhile, but getting it working the way you want it is not for the average non-power-user, imo. I feel like it took me 10 years of Linux experience to get to a point where getting a new system running the way I want to and getting around the OS is a trivial matter. A rewarding experience for sure, but still quite a learning curve.

That said, Linux is by far my favorite OS, but after Linux I would choose Windows. I have not had a malware/virus issue on Windows for well over ten years. I find the Apple ecosystem the most restrictive and their hardware insanely overpriced, especially if you need higher specs. Nearly everything being soldered in makes it impossible to upgrade so you are stuck paying the Apple premium upon premium.
I would generally agree with this post. If you are suffering from viruses and malware in Windows you are either going places you shouldn't go, weren't savvy enough to setup your machine correctly or use it correctly to avoid these problems or aren't savvy enough to determine what is a legitimate link/email and what is clickbait (hint - that exiled Nigerian Prince is most likely the latter). I would rate the choices by user sophistication as: Linux, Windows, then Mac. The best combination for a non-technical user is probably a Mac paired with an iPad and iPhone (the latter being so easy to setup and use that they don't even include manuals). The Apple stuff is also handy for the niche folks that do a lot of video/graphics design stuff and other things that the Mac platform is known to be good for. It's hard to beat the value prospect of a Windows computer purchased from Costco for the "bang for the buck" given that most user's home needs are confined to Office, Internet browsing and email. IMHO, the Apple stuff is overpriced compared to the alternatives and, honestly, has gotten flakier over time so I'd say it's about on par with Windows at this point. However, it has immense status with the Millennial crowd so if status is important to you I'd definitely get a Mac.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I'm fairly proficient in consumer-use computers.

Macs are pricier, but I will say without question that they are rock-solid and absolutely worth the premium. I've owned 4 laptops in the past 6 years, for work and play, all of similar price range (<$1000, including the Mac), and hands down, the best one is the Mac, despite it being the oldest (it's 6 years old now!) of the bunch.

Not that the PCs don't get the job done, but the Mac is prettier, feels better to use, crashes less, and is just an all-around better user experience. This is coming from someone who is STILL a die-hard Windows user, but bought the Mac due to work-related software that was only-Mac at the time.

The less sophisticated you are with computers and software, the better choice the Mac becomes, honestly. My wife (fits in this category) adores the Mac, but can't stand any of the PCs that do the same thing, and it's not just because the Mac is prettier. It's just easier for her to use intuitively as someone who has no interest in futzing with the control panel in Windows, or other things.

I would personally still buy windows laptops for myself because that's what I'm use to and all my peripherals run with Windows, and I also really dislike the closed-ecosystem of the Mac world where it's more all-or-nothing (doesn't play well with other cloud systems, for example - can't stand itunes for this reason!) but the hardware+software combo of the Mac is definitely worth what you pay for, and may be the best bet for someone who wants a quality no-fuss device that will hold up very well even after 5+ years of use.
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

Tried Macs and they're just not for me. While I like my iPhone and iPad, I'm not quite as fond of Apple's "my way or the highway" policy when it comes to computers. Admittedly, that policy is quite suitable for the vast majority of computer users particularly non-technical users.

Interestingly enough, ever since switching to XP and newer, I've never personally had problems with viruses and malware on Windows PCs that people here are complaining about. Granted, I deal with such problems at work but more often than not, it's due to PEBKAC. I either build my own desktops so I only have to deal with bloatware on laptops (easy enough to remove). SSDs make Windows pretty zippy. I have a ULV notebook from 2009 running Windows 7 and that still works quite well.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hnzw rui wrote:
Interestingly enough, ever since switching to XP and newer, I've never personally had problems with viruses and malware on Windows PCs that people here are complaining about.
We've never had problems with viruses and malware on our PCs, yet seems like my wife's work MacBook Pro spends half its time at the IT desk. Haven't had the same level of issues as my wife, but my work Macbook also has been far from infallible.
drachma

Post by drachma »

IMO any virus / malware / popup issues.... that's on you. principle of PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. I have had windows PCs all my life with basic anti-malware software and never had an issue. you need to be able to tell when that weird looking russian link promising you free movies is a scam, don't click it and don't install random .exe files from sketchy corners of the internet. there are viruses for apple products and you can still install malware on OSX with a clueless user.

extra software... don't buy windows from Best Buy, get a laptop with an OEM copy. no extra software.

"windows" laptops are not one brand, there are many manufacturers varying in build quality. certain product lines from lenovo are reputable (thinkpad), and still half the cost of a mac. every company is capable of making lemons.

I have had my current windows desktop since 2008 and it is showing no signs of malware issues or even hardware failure at this point. I've only done a complete wipe a handful of times... current win7 install is going on 4 years I think
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

mancich wrote:My sister is in the market for a new laptop. it will only be used for web surfing, e-mail, and light tasks (Word, a little Excel, that's about it).
She asked my opinion, and while I like Apple products, I don't really see the point in spending $900 and up for a Mac laptop. Just got a used Dell Latitude on e-bay with Core i7 and 8 gig of ram, with Windows 7 for $349 and love it. I advised her to just get a simple laptop with sufficient ram, running Windows 7, and call it a day. I could sense from her lack of reaction that she will probably ignore it; her husband loves to blow money. It's their money, so I don't really care what they end up buying, but am curious about other opinions here on the forum.
There are many options that would fulfill her requirements. Why do our opinions matter on this? It's ultimately their call to make. Are you fishing for people to tell you that you were right?

FWIW, I'd probably choose a Mac even if I had light requirements like that because I prefer the OS, design, build quality, touchpad (which is not the same at all when I Boot Camp into Windows), support and appliance-like nature and have the budget for it. I'm not saying that they're immune to issues -- they're not -- but I have had far less trouble with our Apple equipment than the Dell gear I used to use and IMO the Dell gear was reliable to begin with. I continue to be very happy with the performance and build quality of my early 2011 MBP. I don't recall thinking the same of 5 year old Dell equipment but memory can be unreliable and maybe my recollection is skewed. Regardless, though, it's what works for me. I'm not evangelizing. Each has to sort out what solution works best for that person no matter what the topic.
stoptothink wrote:Everybody has their opinion, but "reliability and durability" are not two words I would use to describe the experience my wife and I have had with MACs. In particular, my wife's current Macbook Pro has been a constant headache. We both use them for work, but if I was paying for them for personal use it is not what I would pick.
Opinion and experience. That's anecdotal evidence for you. One can certainly cherry pick positives and negatives on either side of the fence. Each has to do whatever it is that works for the individual for whatever reasons.
mancich wrote:I think the OS is the biggest difference, and having used Mac and Windows in the past, I really don't see what is so difficult about using a Windows PC, at least for her needs. Opening a web browser on either platform is simple, and Office is easier on Windows.
Is she citing Windows as difficult?

You say you don't care in your OP but you seem to keep dwelling on the matter and ask us to chime in. :mrgreen:

Again, it's their decision to make no matter what you or we think. Threads like this really don't accomplish anything as everyone relies on anecdotal evidence to try to prove some sort of broader trend which probably doesn't matter anyway. Topics like this tend to devolve into arguments over matters that are very subjective as this thread has already demonstrated.
killjoy2012 wrote:You've both just made my point though. You're both describing the benefit of running a unix-based OS vs. Windows. No debate. However, I can go buy any reputable Windows-based laptop, wipe the drive and install any one of a number of Linux OS - Ubuntu, CentOS, etc. and get the same benefits you're praising -- and w/o spending a single dollar more.
"Benefits" from your perspective. I can't speak for the ones you're replying to but I would guess that they see significant benefit to using OSX versus a Linux variant. It's up to each to find solutions that meet their needs/wants and preferences and priorities. Claiming that any OSX user would do just as well on Linux is grossly ignoring important details. If you oversimplify enough you can turn just about any comparison of X and Y into "X is just a Y with Z" but the comparison has little, if any value.

It's not just a matter of $ and hardware specs. Those can be considerations but not the only considerations for everyone.

- From someone who also works in IT.
Last edited by takeshi on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

I never had a mac.

I have always gotten a PC every 5 years or so that was on sale for 400 or less. I just use the computer for surfing the web, email, etc.
Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

mancich wrote:Hello all,

My sister is in the market for a new laptop. it will only be used for web surfing, e-mail, and light tasks (Word, a little Excel, that's about it).

Thanks.
Hi mamcich,

My choice would be any Windows laptop as long as it has an SSD instead of a HDD, and at least 4GB RAM.

But given the intended usage you mentioned, I suspect a Chromebook would be even better. It's perfect for browsing, and she would be using Google docs & sheets (reads & edits Microsoft doc & excel files just fine) for the rest. I have a sub-$200 Samsung Chromebook, and love it so much that I kick myself for having spent so much on Windows laptops before.

Best wishes,
Sunny
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
junior

Post by junior »

hnzw rui wrote:Interestingly enough, ever since switching to XP and newer, I've never personally had problems with viruses and malware on Windows PCs that people here are complaining about.
Yeah I don't understand all these hypothetical people with virus problems.

Admittedly I did have malware problems once on windows. I had a third party battery monitor program which had a new version which was malware. Presumably a legit company was bought by a non legit one or something like that and updated the software to turn it into malware. This sort of thing could hypothetically happen on a mac as well on any piece of software that has auto updates and isn't installed through the mac store.

Someone who just uses word and email and doesn't tinker at all is not likely to have issues on a windows pc. Especially if they are taught a few common sense rules like don't agree to install random things from random web sites. Windows was extremely insecure before XP's second service pack but obviously it's been in Microsoft's interest to make it less prone to viruses as they've upgraded it.
Leif

Post by Leif »

junior wrote: Yeah I don't understand all these hypothetical people with virus problems.
Lucky you.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Apple builds both the hardware and software so they work together better.

Call most PC tech support and they'll let you know it's not their hardware, it's the OS. But if you call the software tech and they blames the hardware makers. When there's a problem with a PC they each will point the finger to the other guy. And your PC problem will still be your problem :annoyed
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We finally purchased our first Apple Laptop - a MacBook Pro and love it! Easily the best laptop we have ever owned. All the Windows products are now out of our home!

Apple recently began building a Mac Air 15" model so that is something I would consider in the future as we did not want a 11" or 13" screen for a laptop.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich »

Thanks for all the opinions, I appreciate the responses.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Lynette wrote:
Toons wrote:Chromebook :happy
+1
I have 4 Windows 10 laptops, an IPAD and 2 giant Smartphones. I use my Chromebook 90% of the time. You cannot equal it for price, ease-of-use and lack of concern about virus protection. I advise all of my non-techie friends to get one. Google Sheets and the Word package is adequate for most users. It takes a minor effort to set up a printer.

Terrific.
Likewise
2 desktops,3 laptops,smartphone,3 tablets,,,,
2 Chromebooks,,like you 90% of time,,On it now :happy
If Quicken ever came out with "Android Software",
I wouldn't use the Windows Computers
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
petiejoe

Post by petiejoe »

Will do good wrote:Apple builds both the hardware and software so they work together better.
This right here is the biggest difference between Mac and PC. Apple owns the full experience end to end and they do a good job of polishing the rough corners to make it all "just work." This makes them great for people that don't really want to spend any time learning how to use the computer. They then picked up a lot of tech-savvy people by basing OS X on *nix. This unlocks a lot of power-user functionality for system administration (e.g. if you're running a server, OS X is much easier than Windows). However, I've been frustrated with the gap in between - when I want to do something a little bit advanced that has some interesting freeware/open source software available, it tends to be easier to run on Windows. Because of the *nix base, it's usually _possible_ to run on a Mac, but not without spending a lot of time rebuilding and tweaking the package. If it's closed source, then you're just out of luck. Hardware accessories have come a long way in the last 10 years for supporting both Mac and PC, but as soon as you buy third party hardware, you're losing the big "we built it all to work together" advantage.

I personally use a Linux server for any of the uber-geeky stuff like running a server and a Windows PC for everything else. Macs are an option at my work place, but when I'm at work the most important thing I do on my laptop is interface with Microsoft Office and Macs don't play as nicely with that. I also have a little chrome book which is awesome for very casual users (my wife plays with facebook and pinterest on it), but the one I have is a bit under-powered, to the point that some heavy websites are laggy. It's entirely possible that some of the more expensive (e.g. $300) chrome books are better there. I wouldn't be opposed to using a mac at home and have before (hand-me-down from my sister when I was in college), but I doubt that I'll ever be willing to pay the premium for the Apple logo. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'm going to get a more powerful gaming rig.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Macs aren't any more reliable, unfortunately. They aren't really any more user friendly, either.

We have both, but I continue to buy PC laptops. There is little difference for the average person and the PC is 1/4 the price.

JT
hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui »

Will do good wrote:Apple builds both the hardware and software so they work together better.

Call most PC tech support and they'll let you know it's not their hardware, it's the OS. But if you call the software tech and they blames the hardware makers. When there's a problem with a PC they each will point the finger to the other guy. And your PC problem will still be your problem :annoyed
Agreed. Macs are great for non-techies because of this. Also, Apple is a lot easier to deal with if you have issues while the device is still under warranty.

I build and fix my own PCs so this isn't really an issue for me. Even laptops, one of my criteria is ease of access to parts for easy customization and repair. I customize newly purchased laptops before using them (typically SSD, RAM and WiFi adapter upgrade). Indeed, the upgrades tend to cost more than the laptop itself but it's usually significantly cheaper than buying upgrades from the manufacturer.
Last edited by hnzw rui on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

My MacBook Pro is about 6.5 years old now and runs almost as well as it did the day I bought it when I was furious over my last Windows laptop flaking out. I'll never go back to Windows, the reliability of Apple products has been well worth the extra expense for me. Apple products aren't perfect but they're light years ahead of anything else out there, IMHO.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
Momus

Post by Momus »

Use PC... save your money. Malware and popups are common, and nothing that a little googling can't fix. I have no trouble for the past 15 years using a PC that dawns Mac performance by significant margin. Mac higher price tag is simply NOT worth it.

Mac is overpriced overrated product. Do NOT but this over-hyped product.

It's like flagship phone vs. iRipoff. Every other techies out there know iRipoff is simply an overhyped product. Other flagship phones nowadays have more features and more techs than the latest iRipoff ever wants to be.

Buy Apple if you want to show off, not because it's a better product.
marc515

Post by marc515 »

I've used Windows PC's for the past few decades, and switched to Mac early last year.

After using a MacBook for about a year now, all I can say is I have no desire to ever use a Windows PC again. The MB has and is a joy to use, and I haven't experienced a single issue with it. The trackpad is simply amazing, and there isn't a Win PC out there that can match it.

As for price; you get what you pay for. MB's are not any more expensive than a high end Win PC, so it doesn't make any sense to try and compare a MB or high end PC to a lower end PC.

My wife started using my MB, and liked it so much we sold her Dell XPS 15, and got her a MB.

m