Want to buy 2014 Acura TSX - turned in lease

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Want to buy 2014 Acura TSX - turned in lease

Post by LadyIJ »

I really like the discontinued TSX. There are approximately 10 2013's in my area for sale (certified pre-owned). Only a couple have the Tech package (navigation and back-up camera). One I test drove has been sitting on the lot for about 2 months since I drove. They range from about $20,000 to $23,000. 2014 is the last year - I told the salesman I would like to come back at the end of the year and look at the 2014's and he told me don't hold my breath -- most people have bought them knowing it was the last year. Now, this could be a sales tactic. I don't know. If not many 2014's will come in, I don't want to miss out getting one of the few that do have the tech packages that are certified. Anyone know how I could research this and find out if that is true(ish)? My Honda Accord - I can technically drive until early next year (long story - still have warranty on expensive work done).
Incidentally, I talked to owner of a TSX and she said she owned and was hanging on to her car for 10 years (a Boglehead?).
Last edited by LadyIJ on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Re: Want to buy 2014 Acura TSX - turned in lease

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

The TSX is a great car. I'm still driving a 2004. It's my family's backup car now, but I still love it.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

I know it's a great car - and made in Japan, just wondering what thoughts are on whether I'll be able to snag a 2014, when will people be turning them in, of they will be. I'm thinking the leases would start coming due near end of 2016? I don't know, I never bought a pre-owned certified before. I bought my Accord new.
sport

Post by sport »

LadyIJ wrote: One I test drove has been sitting on the lot for about 2 months since I drove.
If you like this particular car, you could give them a low offer. If it has been sitting for 2 months, perhaps they will be anxious to sell it.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

sport wrote:
LadyIJ wrote: One I test drove has been sitting on the lot for about 2 months since I drove.
If you like this particular car, you could give them a low offer. If it has been sitting for 2 months, perhaps they will be anxious to sell it.

I loved it but no back-up camera and no tech package. The one that has all that is black exterior and interior That is why I want the 2014's to come in - it will be a long wait I think.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

LadyIJ wrote:
sport wrote:

I loved it but no back-up camera and no tech package. The one that has all that is black exterior and interior That is why I want the 2014's to come in - it will be a long wait I think.
Very very few people who lease cars buy them at the end. I highly doubt you'll have trouble finding a CPO 2014 TSX.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

[quote="Jags4186Very very few people who lease cars buy them at the end. I highly doubt you'll have trouble finding a CPO 2014 TSX.[/quote]

Okay, the dealer was trying to make me think all the 2014's were Bought and I wouldn't find a CPO. I'm going to wait until I get what I want. I would take a 2013 with low miles and everything else I want. Thanks for your input.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

The last car we bought was 'low volume' so I bookmarked a few places and would check every day or two to get a feeling for inventory and options. Autotrader, carmax, and craigslist. I had them all bookmarked on my iPhone which made it easy to check in just a few minutes.

Once we saw something that ticked all our boxes for the right price we went ahead and bought it.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

tyrion wrote:The last car we bought was 'low volume' so I bookmarked a few places and would check every day or two to get a feeling for inventory and options. Autotrader, carmax, and craigslist. I had them all bookmarked on my iPhone which made it easy to check in just a few minutes.

Once we saw something that ticked all our boxes for the right price we went ahead and bought it.
yep, I'm ready. I'm doing that. I just want to wait it out and see if there's more variety when the 2014's come in (although the salesman said they won't - I'm leery of his advice though because he's most likely have to wait for over 6 months). My check is ready for the right opportunity. Thanks.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Also consider looking at Ebay Auto. I purchased a CPO vehicle (3 years old - off lease) from an out of state dealer (had it delivered to my front door).

While a lot of folks would not consider a purchase in this manner, it worked out well. I received a discounted price, drove the car for 7.5 years (10.5 years old when I traded it); it's an option you may want to consider.

At least you get a bigger area, and bigger inventory, to select from.

- Ron
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Ron wrote:Also consider looking at Ebay Auto. I purchased a CPO vehicle (3 years old - off lease) from an out of state dealer (had it delivered to my front door).

While a lot of folks would not consider a purchase in this manner, it worked out well. I received a discounted price, drove the car for 7.5 years (10.5 years old when I traded it); it's an option you may want to consider.

At least you get a bigger area, and bigger inventory, to select from.

- Ron
True - it's for the adventurous though -- but I will consider it
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

You might try spreading your CPO search to a much broader area; many brands have ability to do this type of search through the dealership networks. This would give you more of a picture on what is really out there now, even if you don't want to fly 1000 miles to go pick up the car.
countofmc

Post by countofmc »

Generally speaking sales for a particular model do trail off as you get later in the model year. Some people hold off to wait for the major redesign (in this case would be for the '15 TLX) or look for newer model competitors.

So there might not be that many '14 CPOs as say '13 or '12. But I doubt it would be as significant as the dealer is suggesting. I don't foresee you having issues finding one if you wait.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

countofmc wrote:Generally speaking sales for a particular model do trail off as you get later in the model year. Some people hold off to wait for the major redesign (in this case would be for the '15 TLX) or look for newer model competitors.

So there might not be that many '14 CPOs as say '13 or '12. But I doubt it would be as significant as the dealer is suggesting. I don't foresee you having issues finding one if you wait.
Thank you. I'm looking online every few days. I guess if I don't find one, I can always consider a TLX, but of course, the price will not be as enticing.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Ignore the dealer, he's just trying to get you to buy now.

Still, there is data to indicate that you'll have a harder time finding 2014 vs 2013. Note that TSX model year begins April the year before calendar year. I don't think last model year is going to be a major factor in fewer lease returns, but fewer sales will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TSX#Sales
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ac ... gures.html

I would also consider private party sales, which are likely less than CPO, and take the savings for potential repairs. I'm guessing chances are you'll wind up ahead with 0 or 1 major repairs in the limited warranty period. Just have the car examined by a trusted mechanic before buying.
http://www.acura.com/Warranty.aspx
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

inbox788 wrote:Ignore the dealer, he's just trying to get you to buy now.

Still, there is data to indicate that you'll have a harder time finding 2014 vs 2013. Note that TSX model year begins April the year before calendar year. I don't think last model year is going to be a major factor in fewer lease returns, but fewer sales will.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_TSX#Sales
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ac ... gures.html

I would also consider private party sales, which are likely less than CPO, and take the savings for potential repairs. I'm guessing chances are you'll wind up ahead with 0 or 1 major repairs in the limited warranty period. Just have the car examined by a trusted mechanic before buying.
http://www.acura.com/Warranty.aspx
Thank you, that is extremely valuable information. I'll aim for a 2013 with so many more produced and if it seems that more 2013's will be coming in (April and on this year?). I will consider private buyer too. Again, thanks for the information.
MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler »

I wouldn't worry about supply too much but here is the caveat. Are you looking for a rock bottom low price? I talked with an Acura dealership at a car show and I was telling the salesman how I liked the old TSX wagons but couldn't find any used. He told me if I was really set on that model to email him the years I was considering, color I wanted, mileage I was willing to accept, and price I wanted to pay and they would send the info to the regional auction buyer and that they would probably have the car in 30-45 days. Then I could take a look at it, test drive it, etc and decide if I really wanted it. Granted had I gone this approach I would not have gotten a rock bottom deal but I would of gotten the car I wanted at the price I wanted. CPO'ing a car is usually an added $500 and most dealerships I talked to in my last car buying experience will CPO almost any vehicle that is eligible if you will pay the $500. Food for thought...

In addition from what I've read, friends I've talked to, and the Acura dealership many TSX or even Acura enthusiasts did not like the last revision of the TSX so most likely people are unlikely to buy at the car at the end of the lease. The new TLX (minus the reliability concerns) is much more exciting and even at the auto show old TSX owners came up asking about the TLX and were very happy that Acura scrapped the TSX as the last revision was considered by them to be inferior to previous versions.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

MtnTraveler wrote:I wouldn't worry about supply too much but here is the caveat. Are you looking for a rock bottom low price? I talked with an Acura dealership at a car show and I was telling the salesman how I liked the old TSX wagons but couldn't find any used. He told me if I was really set on that model to email him the years I was considering, color I wanted, mileage I was willing to accept, and price I wanted to pay and they would send the info to the regional auction buyer and that they would probably have the car in 30-45 days. Then I could take a look at it, test drive it, etc and decide if I really wanted it. Granted had I gone this approach I would not have gotten a rock bottom deal but I would of gotten the car I wanted at the price I wanted. CPO'ing a car is usually an added $500 and most dealerships I talked to in my last car buying experience will CPO almost any vehicle that is eligible if you will pay the $500. Food for thought...

In addition from what I've read, friends I've talked to, and the Acura dealership many TSX or even Acura enthusiasts did not like the last revision of the TSX so most likely people are unlikely to buy at the car at the end of the lease. The new TLX (minus the reliability concerns) is much more exciting and even at the auto show old TSX owners came up asking about the TLX and were very happy that Acura scrapped the TSX as the last revision was considered by them to be inferior to previous versions.
What problems of reliability have you heard about the TSX? I haven't heard anything but praise and they were made in Japan. I sat in the TLX in the showroom and felt it was "cheaper" inside. I am even considering a CPO Lexus ES300? ES350? But I would like to hear what you heard about the TSX that is negative. Thanks
MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler »

The TSX is fine reliability wise as far as I know but the new TLX's have had various issues mostly stemming, it seems, from the dual clutch transmission. The last rev of the TSX had uninspiring performance compared to the previous rev and many didn't like the redesigned of the front end. The people I know who have the older TSX rev hated getting the new TSX rev as a loaner car cause they didn't find it any fun to drive. I've heard the same thing about the last TL model vs the previous rev. That being said you don't have the experience with the prior rev so if you enjoy driving the last TSX rev then that is what matters.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

MtnTraveler wrote:The TSX is fine reliability wise as far as I know but the new TLX's have had various issues mostly stemming, it seems, from the dual clutch transmission. The last rev of the TSX had uninspiring performance compared to the previous rev and many didn't like the redesigned of the front end. The people I know who have the older TSX rev hated getting the new TSX rev as a loaner car cause they didn't find it any fun to drive. I've heard the same thing about the last TL model vs the previous rev. That being said you don't have the experience with the prior rev so if you enjoy driving the last TSX rev then that is what matters.
Thanks, I will have to take a TSX out for another test drive or two - seemed fine. I currently have an Accord V6. Good to know about TLX dual clutch transmission issues. I may also look at the Lexus (2013 or 2014) - at least I would have the V6. Thanks again, valuable info.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

MtnTraveler wrote:The last rev of the TSX had uninspiring performance compared to the previous rev and many didn't like the redesigned of the front end.
The front end was substantially modified during the MMC for the 2G TSX (2012 I believe). The same issue was also addressed during the MMC for the TL although I think the change looked better on the TSX. I agree the front end on the 09-11 2G TSX left a lot to be desired but that's not the car the OP is considering.

Overall, I think the 2012-14 TSX is a solid car. Is it the flashiest design, best acceleration, and best technology?...clearly no. If you base your comparison on the days of the Integra, S-2000, Type-s TL's, and racing days of Honda - then yes, you'll probably be disappointed. Otherwise, good car and good value, especially used.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Valdeselad wrote:
MtnTraveler wrote:The last rev of the TSX had uninspiring performance compared to the previous rev and many didn't like the redesigned of the front end.
The front end was substantially modified during the MMC for the 2G TSX (2012 I believe). The same issue was also addressed during the MMC for the TL although I think the change looked better on the TSX. I agree the front end on the 09-11 2G TSX left a lot to be desired but that's not the car the OP is considering.

Overall, I think the 2012-14 TSX is a solid car. Is it the flashiest design, best acceleration, and best technology?...clearly no. If you base your comparison on the days of the Integra, S-2000, Type-s TL's, and racing days of Honda - then yes, you'll probably be disappointed. Otherwise, good car and good value, especially used.
I currently have a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L - it's fast V6 and handles well. The interior is like a luxury car. I understand that the new Honda's (Touring - or loaded) have a lot to offer, but the interior looks and feels cheap. I am worried that the TSX may be too slow - I may look into the ES series of Lexus, you guys have me concerned. I am a "driver".
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Test drive a Golf GTI.

I don't see the appeal of a TSX (hatchbacks are so functional), and prefer the torque of a turbo (recently spoiled).

This is assuming you want a sporty ride/drive.
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

LadyIJ wrote:I may look into the ES series of Lexus, you guys have me concerned. I am a "driver".
I could be mistaken, but I've always heard the Lexus ES is essentially a glorified (and much more expensive) Camry...not exactly something that would typically get a "driver" excited.

GS and IS are probably better suited from the Lexus family...but of course now you're a step above Acura in terms of pricing...
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

The Lexus brand in general is not designed to appeal to "drivers." Rather, they are intended to appeal to those who like a softer, more luxurious ride. My Acura TL (the glorified Accord) drove very differently from my Lexus ES 350 (the glorified Camry).
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I had the '04 TSX and loved it. I passed it over to my mother a few years ago and she loves it. It has never had any major service issues in its 200k mile life and has always been great fun to drive. I would agree with the sentiment here that the dealer is just trying to get you to buy now when they say that CPO '14s off lease will be in short supply. Good luck.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Having said that, looking at the sales of the TSX in the US it looks like only 6300 were sold in 2014 down from 17500 in 2013 and a peak of 38000 in 2006 and around 30000 in most model years. I am assuming that 'sales' include leased vehicles in the statistics. So maybe there will be less available but not for the reason the dealer stated.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
LifeLearner

Post by LifeLearner »

I know it is not what you're looking for, but if you're at the 20k price range, I'd give the 2016 Civic LX with the ACC option a serious look. It's a smaller car, but the backup camera is there along with a sweet semi-autonomous system for the highway.
msi

Post by msi »

I love my TSX. You don't really need the tech package these days with GPS apps on smartphones, but it's nice to have for the backup camera.

Also worth looking at a CPO Infiniti G37, Lexus IS, Lexus ES. I prefer Acura, though.
TRC

Post by TRC »

msi wrote:I love my TSX. You don't really need the tech package these days with GPS apps on smartphones, but it's nice to have for the backup camera.

Also worth looking at a CPO Infiniti G37, Lexus IS, Lexus ES. I prefer Acura, though.
Agreed. I have a 2014 TL SHAWD and honestly, the navigation is garbage. In fact I don't trust it. It's led me on some very inefficient routes compared to Google Maps or WAYZ.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

You can buy today 2016 ilx tech with all bells and whistles for less than 30K.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

The ILX is not nearly the ride IMHO.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

LadyIJ wrote:
MtnTraveler wrote:The TSX is fine reliability wise as far as I know but the new TLX's have had various issues mostly stemming, it seems, from the dual clutch transmission. The last rev of the TSX had uninspiring performance compared to the previous rev and many didn't like the redesigned of the front end. The people I know who have the older TSX rev hated getting the new TSX rev as a loaner car cause they didn't find it any fun to drive. I've heard the same thing about the last TL model vs the previous rev. That being said you don't have the experience with the prior rev so if you enjoy driving the last TSX rev then that is what matters.
Thanks, I will have to take a TSX out for another test drive or two - seemed fine. I currently have an Accord V6. Good to know about TLX dual clutch transmission issues. I may also look at the Lexus (2013 or 2014) - at least I would have the V6. Thanks again, valuable info.
I would avoid any 2015 TLX. The transmission has a problem with shifting. They apparently fixed it in late 2015 models and 2016 models. I just bought a 2016 TLX AWD Advanced and it is a good car. I wanted a nice cruiser and the fit and finish beat out the Accord Touring I drove. Plus I wanted AWD.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

We test drove the 2013 Lexus ES350. I didn't like the seats. The interior of the 2012 was much nicer and much more comfortable. So that's my dilemma now: 2013 TSX 4 cylinder or 2012 Lexus - V6 - with CPO's.

Pros and cons as I see them thus far: 2012 is pretty old for the Lexus and it has the old grill. The couple the dealer had only had about 30,000 miles and you get 2 year warranty/6 on the power train. The TSX - it's newer and also the 2 years added onto the warranty, less money, less power though - still ok, less dated - as all the grills look similar with the Acura.

Those are my two options that fit all my "needs".
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

2016 Golfs all come with a backup camera and an infotainment system that supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay = having google maps standard. No need for a 'tech' package.

A GTI would blow away a TSX in performance also. The 1.8T models are quite peppy and get great mpg, too. Very good deals to be had, thanks to VWs current image issue.

I highly suggest a strong look and test drive.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

surfstar wrote:2016 Golfs all come with a backup camera and an infotainment system that supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay = having google maps standard. No need for a 'tech' package.

A GTI would blow away a TSX in performance also. The 1.8T models are quite peppy and get great mpg, too. Very good deals to be had, thanks to VWs current image issue.

I highly suggest a strong look and test drive.
I'll be the Debbie Downer here and say avoid VW. Sure they may drive well but I find them very bland inside and out and also horrible for maintenance. Terrible reliability. In fact, avoid any car with a turbo IMO if you plan on keeping it for the long haul.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I have 2007 TSX and recently bought 2016 ILX. While I'd agree that TSX is better car (it built on Accord platform and ILX is civic), ILX has all features what you can want in the car (all safety features, navi, memory, led) and you can get it for less than 30K. Reliability wise it is still Honda, so it will be better that VW
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Okay Debbie:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/how ... liability/
http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/hig ... ty-survey/

VW of today is not necessarily that which tainted your view of them. Similarly, Honda/Acura is not the golden child it may have once been.
Pretty much all new cars are good now-a-days. True reliability will vary from individual car to individual car. My brother's Acura wasn't any better or worse than my Mazda or Saturn. (oh, I didn't even realize how high Audi was on that list, another positive for VWAG)

The EA888 engine in the new MK7 Golfs (2015+ in USA), is a Ward's 10 best; Golf was awarded 2015 Motor Trend car of the year, and there are numerous rave reviews of them. The new MQB platform is shared by the more expensive Audi A3, and is pretty darn good.
But I'm biased, b/c I just bought a new Golf Sportwagen, after MUCH research. I go OCD on purchase-research, and was convinced to give VW a try. It does drive that good.

I'm sure the TSX is a fine car, I just believe that a Golf 1.8 or GTI is a better purchase [currently], as they can be had brand new for the price of a CPO TSX. Dieselgate has provided a boost to the overall value of purchase on these (if you keep long enough, depreciation is moot).
The OP seemed to want a performance car with some luxuries. I wanted to offer my thoughts, as to a possibly overlooked option.

:sharebeer
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Thanks, but I would not consider a Golf. It's between a 2013 or 2014 Acura TSX or 2011 Lexus ES350. They fit my parameters for comfort (bad back) and interior luxury. I'll start a new post, because this one's subject matter has changed.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I want to point out that surfstar is using inline linking (embedding) to display the image from Consumer Reports. According to Linking to Copyrighted Materials, this does not infringe on copyright.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

LadyGeek wrote:
I want to point out that surfstar is using inline linking (embedding) to display the image from Consumer Reports. According to Linking to Copyrighted Materials, this does not infringe on copyright.
thank you
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

LadyIJ wrote:
countofmc wrote:Generally speaking sales for a particular model do trail off as you get later in the model year. Some people hold off to wait for the major redesign (in this case would be for the '15 TLX) or look for newer model competitors.

Thank you. I'm looking online every few days. I guess if I don't find one, I can always consider a TLX, but of course, the price will not be as enticing.
I was in the market for a new car and stumbled upon the TLX back in September. As it turned out, the Atlanta market was absolutely saturated with them and the 2016s were starting to roll in as well, so I scored a ridiculous deal on a 2015 4 cylinder Tech package (right at $30k, out the door) - white with espresso interior. It's an absolute dream to drive. A bit larger than a TSX (and my previous Mercedes C300), but I've gotten used to it.

That said, consider upping the budget and taking a TLX for a test drive. That might be all it takes 8-)
Topic Author
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

JimmyD wrote:
LadyIJ wrote:

I was in the market for a new car and stumbled upon the TLX back in September. As it turned out, the Atlanta market was absolutely saturated with them and the 2016s were starting to roll in as well, so I scored a ridiculous deal on a 2015 4 cylinder Tech package (right at $30k, out the door) - white with espresso interior. It's an absolute dream to drive. A bit larger than a TSX (and my previous Mercedes C300), but I've gotten used to it.

That said, consider upping the budget and taking a TLX for a test drive. That might be all it takes 8-)
that's a beautiful car - white with expresso interior - gorgeous - what color? Ok, I WISH the seats were comfortable for me, then problem would be solved. Maybe I'll take another look . . . maybe they have different interiors (fabrics), but I think I sat in it and thought the TSX would be more comfy for me. The problem is the two cars I want TSX with Tech and 2012 Acura ES350 - very hard to find with tech and colors I like! But thanks, I WILL look again.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

LadyIJ wrote:
JimmyD wrote:
LadyIJ wrote:

that's a beautiful car - white with expresso interior - gorgeous - what color? Ok, I WISH the seats were comfortable for me, then problem would be solved. Maybe I'll take another look . . . maybe they have different interiors (fabrics), but I think I sat in it and thought the TSX would be more comfy for me. The problem is the two cars I want TSX with Tech and 2012 Acura ES350 - very hard to find with tech and colors I like! But thanks, I WILL look again.
You know, I do recall one of the car review sites saying the same thing about the seats, so you must not be alone in feeling like they aren't comfortable. I don't have the first problem, but then again, my previous car had firm seats, so I wonder if that's the reason.

Anyhow, good luck. Happy to answer any other TLX questions for you if you need.