Gardening 2016

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Earl Lemongrab

Re: Gardening 2016

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon May 16, 2016 7:42 pm

The snowpea vines are growing high and started to blossom a week back. I checked today and there are a few small pods. They grow fast when they get started, so I might be eating some by the weekend.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:42 pm

My asparagus doesnt seem to be producing as well as I would have thought. It has been unseasonably cold, but the past week there have only been about two stalks per day break thru the ground (10 crowns).

Any suggestions? Should I be concerned? I did apply Dr. Earth last week.

Other than that, the "hardy" plants are really growing well with this cool, wet weather. I planted a few peppers and tomatoes but not much growth. Spinach has been slow. Lettuce is coming on...both romaine and leaf. Carrots are growing well, as are onions and leeks.

I planted two blueberry bushes and a few strawberries. Going the "fruit" route as well as vegetables.

Garlic is about 15 inches tall (fall planting) and potatoes are strong. If the weather warms up, it should be another good year.

Yet to plant...eggplant, more tomato and pepper (including mini lunchpail and peppercini) pole beans and possibly sweet potatoes.

Ed

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm

I am doing a square foot garden by the book this year. Neve had much success with vegetable gardening in the past.

So far so good. Spinach and lettuce are in harvest. Peas, carrots, kale, brocolli are growing and a couple tomatoes just went in.

I am located in Massachusetts.

Can anyone comment on the merits of a agribon row cover versus a clear plastic sheet? I have a sheet in use, it was cheap but thinking about buying a floating row cover.

muredhawk235

Post by muredhawk235 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:49 am

saladdin wrote:
Leemiller wrote:We have deer and rabbits so I'm looking into raised beds, have even seen some sold that would require no bending over since they are about at waist level on slits.

We did plant some mint and basil which did very well with no work, well until some bugs started to eat them....

I'm in Md, close to DC.

I use coyote urine sprayed on cloth that I have hanging around my garden to keep deer out.
Now, if something other than my .22 would work on squirrels...

We have 3 huskies so we just collect their fur and spread it around the bed. We didn't do this the first year and when we started there has been a reduction in the amount of food that is eaten.

Unfortunately we started our seeds way to early thinking it would be fine, but all this cold weather/rain has really made it difficult to prep the garden to plant the tiny plants. We will probably have to re-purchase larger ones when the time comes to actually plant since.

muredhawk235

Post by muredhawk235 » Wed May 18, 2016 10:50 am

muredhawk235 wrote:
saladdin wrote:
Leemiller wrote:We have deer and rabbits so I'm looking into raised beds, have even seen some sold that would require no bending over since they are about at waist level on slits.

We did plant some mint and basil which did very well with no work, well until some bugs started to eat them....

I'm in Md, close to DC.

I use coyote urine sprayed on cloth that I have hanging around my garden to keep deer out.
Now, if something other than my .22 would work on squirrels...

We have 3 huskies so we just collect their fur and spread it around the bed. We didn't do this the first year and when we started there has been a reduction in the amount of food that is eaten.

Unfortunately we started our seeds way to early thinking it would be fine, but all this cold weather/rain has really made it difficult to prep the garden to plant the tiny plants. We will probably have to re-purchase larger ones when the time comes to actually plant since.

Every year I dig a bigger area and this year I think we are up to about 24'x10'

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 am

How is everyone's garden so far this summer? We havent updated this in awhile.

Spinach and Sugar Snap peas are past. I am beginning to harvest onions with much larger onions this year from onion plants rather than onion sets. Learned a valuable lesson and will use the plants in the future.

We have had a continuous supply of lettuce since about May 10th with it still producing well. Decent asparagus crop earlier. I probably allowed it to go to seed a little earlier, but we did ok for about 5 weeks. Broccoli crowns have been picked, now it is time for the side shoots. Cauliflower will be ready later this week. I have blanched with rubber bands.

Planted a few strawberry plants and 2 blueberry bushes. We had one strawberry last night and two blueberries. Obviously this is an investment in the future. Kale is producing and the brussel sprouts are growing well....probably a couple of weeks out from the first picking at the bottom. I pulled a couple of carrots last night, still very small, but flavorful.

Harvesting garlic scapes...first time we have used them. The potatoes are a month out. Pole beans are just beginning to climb.

Last week's hot dry conditions were ideal for tomatoes and peppers. I picked a banana pepper last night for the salad. Tomato plants are about 3 feet tall with quarter size fruits apparent.

Finally, we harvested a kolorabi last night and added it to a "root dinner" along with red potatoes (purchased), onions, garlic scapes and regular garlic. All were sliced thin and roasted for over an hour at 350 degrees in olive oil. Excellent.

Ed

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 am

It's been a hot June here in Missouri. The snowpeas produced like crazy early, but are prematurely dying out. However, we're entering a cooler spell and sometimes the vines will respond with new growth and blossoms resulting in some more pods. We will see.

I gambled a bit and put the jalapenos and tomato plants in early this year, and the warm weather has made that pay off. The tomato plants are loaded with various sized fruit, and I noticed that one has started to turn color. I might have one by the 4th of July! Last week I tightened up the anti-squirrel netting. Hopefully there are no "exploitable inefficiencies" there.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "You will do well to expand your horizons." Ow. Passive-aggressive and vaguely ominous.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:29 am

First time CSA member this year so not gardening myself but reaping the benefits for sure! :sharebeer

Had no idea what garlic scapes were but used them to make a great salad dressing.

First time having kohlrabi, going to use it in a slaw with cucumber, cilantro, lime and orange juice.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:45 am

BW1985 wrote:First time CSA member this year so not gardening myself but reaping the benefits for sure! :sharebeer

Had no idea what garlic scapes were but used them to make a great salad dressing.

First time having kohlrabi, going to use it in a slaw with cucumber, cilantro, lime and orange juice.

Garlic scapes also go well in stir fry. Its kind of amazing how much they charge at farmers markets for them considering they used to essentially be waste.

In the Pacific Northwest for me:
My peas did ok in general this year.
Beets came out great. Beet leaves and stems are also good in stir fry FYI
Garlic is about ready to be harvested.
Watermelon vines never took off and died
Pumpkin vines are only doing ok, seems like they should be growing faster.
Blueberries are in full harvest mode, got 1lb off of one bush yesterday.
french beans are growing nicely and should be making flowers soon
We've harvested a couple softball sized spring cabbages with several baseball sized coming soon
peppers and tomatoes are growing great but still too cool to make any tomatoes. Cloche is coming off soon
Corn is 18" tall and looking great, big hopes on a real corn harvest this year. I managed 2 ears last year with diligent hand pollination
fall brassicas will be planted soon
Carrots coming along nicely. We'd probably have some by now if the chickens hadn't gotten in the garden.
Onions coming along good, i should probably dig around one of them to see how they are bulbing.
The apple trees that bore fruit this year (4/6) seem to be laden with an appropriate amount of 1.5" fruit. They are mini dwarf trees and the apples are already bending the branches.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 am

barnaclebob wrote:
BW1985 wrote:First time CSA member this year so not gardening myself but reaping the benefits for sure! :sharebeer

Garlic scapes also go well in stir fry. Its kind of amazing how much they charge at farmers markets for them considering they used to essentially be waste.

Will do, thanks. Also got the immature bulbs (spring garlic?) which I assume just use as you would garlic? Definitely less pungent.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:03 am

BW1985 wrote:

Will do, thanks. Also got the immature bulbs (spring garlic?) which I assume just use as you would garlic? Definitely less pungent.[/quote]

Yeah you can use it pretty much any way you want. Since its less pungent maybe try keeping it in bigger pieces. It would probably be fine sliced thin like green onions and used as a garnish/topping on things like tacos, salad, or stew.

Pretty sure green garlic is another way farmers maximize their yield for a givens space. I bet you can plant garlic twice as dense as normal and then pick half and sell it as green garlic before it gets too crowded.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:10 pm

I planted my peas late but was able to eat some this week.

It was a weird year in the PNW. In April it was in the 70's most of the month, then May/June was mostly chilly and rainy. Now that we are nearing July it looks to be finally warming up with overnights in the 50+ range finally. My tomatoes are doing ok but not as well as last year when it was warm and dry starting in May.

My rhubarb is gigantic, just planted it this year. My asparagus is in its second year, I ate some but left most of the rest and it has huge bushy ferns on it. Unfortunately we are working on getting a new well drilled and the best location (satisfying all of King County's requirements) will be right smack in the middle of the asparagus. I am going to try and transplant it elsewhere. Worst case is I have to start over.

Corn hardly germinated, I am blaming somewhat old seed and the cool May/June. Next year.

Bingo Beans, 2 grape plans, and potatoes are coming along nicely.

We took the cages off the small apple trees we just planted this year to trim the grass and forgot to put them back. Deer ate most of the leaves overnight. Hoping they don't die due to our mistake, poor trees.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Elsebet wrote:Corn hardly germinated, I am blaming somewhat old seed and the cool May/June. Next year.

I'm germinating corn indoors from now on. I tried direct sewing last year and had terrible results. If you plant it out when its an inch or two tall it doesn't seem to get root bound. On my first attempt at corn I left it in the cells too long maybe 2 or 3 leaves had formed and it became root bound.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:44 pm

barnaclebob wrote:I'm germinating corn indoors from now on. I tried direct sewing last year and had terrible results. If you plant it out when its an inch or two tall it doesn't seem to get root bound. On my first attempt at corn I left it in the cells too long maybe 2 or 3 leaves had formed and it became root bound.

Last year I had no issues with direct seeding, but this year I definitely should have germinated indoors. The only time I did that it was an unusually cool spring in the Midwest (doesn't happen often). I just put the kernels in between two moist paper towels on top of a heating pad. When they sprouted I put them in the ground and they came up nicely.

I'm still spoiled by how easy it was to grow corn, peppers, eggplant, melons, and tomatoes in the Midwest. :) I have to shake that now that I'm in the PNW.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:48 pm

Ok, here is the latest update including an interesting tale from the garden.

First the story...last year we had spaghetti squash and I saved seeds, planting the seeds inside in April. The two seeds germinated and after a month were transplanted to the garden. The plants grew, but seemed to have a slightly different appearance. One puzzling aspect is while the spaghetti squash in the past would vine and travel over the garden, these two plants pretty much stayed in one location. Well, guess what...these are not spaghetti squash, nor are these plants the same, but one is green zuchinni and the other is a yellow squash. How did that occur?

Here is the roll call:
Butterhead lettuce is bolting however red leaf lettuce is still producing strong. Perhaps it is heat resistant.
Carrots - are about 5" in length.
Broccoli - producing side shoots.
Cauliflower - first planting has been harvested and second planting is growing with the hope of producing in the heat. Lots of water.
Potatoes - I have been "borrowing" reds. It is about time to start legit harvesting.
Tomatoes - another "tale". I had purchased what was marketed as regular tomatoes, but several appear to be either "grape" or "cherry". I pulled two plants and replanted last week. The garden store warned me of planting in last weeks severe heat. So far, two of the three are doing well. One plant seems a bit yellow. Lots of liquid fertilizer.
Peppers - banana peppers are producing heavily. Tonight I plucked two HUGE bell peppers as the wife is making "pepper steak" for dinner.
Onions were harvested....strong crop. I planted onion "sets" and also purchased onion plants. The plants produced much better with 3" bulbs. The sets were only about 1" bulbs. Learned a great lesson this year.
Strawberries - 3 plants this year....produced about 5 berries! Not a good production, hopefully next year will be better.
Blueberries - 2 plants this year...maybe 3 or 4 berries. I think the birds snagged them.
Kale - growing and producing well.

Growing, but not yet producing:
Pole beans - I am planting about every 2 weeks. First planting is running up the poles and blooming.
Garlic - just about ready to harvest. The garlic scapes were great.-
Celery - should be producing in about a month. We pull one or two stalks as needed.
Tomatoes - see above. Roma are looking good. Still green. A few cherries are yellow.
Leeks - growing well.
Eggplant - small fruits appearing.

As summer progresses, I will begin fall plantings of spinach, lettuce, sugar snap peas, and perhaps a few other vegetables.

Overall...a great summer so far. The heat the past few weeks has really pushed the peppers and tomatoes.

Location - Northwest Indiana.

Ed

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:39 pm

It was a very warm June, and carried on into July. Tomatoes are tall and loaded with fruit, but a week of off and on heavy rain caused some splitters. Hoping for a mostly dry week here.

The early heat caused the snow peas to produce well, but die out much earlier than last year. I'm glad I planted in March. I have been storing the pods in a single layer on paper towels, rolled up and in the refrigerator. Look good so far.

Jalapenos are behind, too much shade from the peas.

Bought a new package of basil seeds, but only one plant sprouted. Annoying. However, once basil starts it grows fast.

Earl

peppers

Post by peppers » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:00 pm

I have been harvesting cucumbers, bell peppers and roma tomatoes for about two weeks now. Nothing like a fresh garden salad. I gave some zucchini to my granddaughter to make some zucchini bread. We will see if grandpa gets a sample. The jalapenos are going like gangbusters and we have been using them in rubs. My only issue is that I might have mixed up some seeds and what I thought were melrose peppers are looking more and more like jalapenos. If so that means there will be quite a few jalapeno poppers going on the grill.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:52 pm

Thanks for the advice on the snow peas. We will do that in the future. I did have luck last fall with the snap peas. Not a huge harvest but did produce.

I did pull five garlic plants last night, skinned the cloves (pulled leaves which removed the outer layer from the garlic) and have them drying outside.

Only 91 garlic plants yet to harvest.

Lunch included 3 banana peppers stuffed with pepper jack cheese and slow roasted in a skillet with olive oil. Not bad!

Ed

nolapepper

Post by nolapepper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 pm

Pretty much everything is slow as the weather is too hot.

I am concerned my asparagus is permanently damaged when I moved them from my old house three years ago. I did not harvest at all these three years. This year there is not even enough fern growing. :(

Is there anything I can do to save them?

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:21 am

My first balcony garden and I'm taking it small steps at a time. Used to have a larger outside garden before. Planted some veggies for soup and put the plastic container on the balcony and two days later, got some sprouts. Let it stay for one more day and noticed that the plants seem awfully wiry because maybe the balcony doesn't get enough sun (situated between buildings that are closed together and its a covered balcony), so moved the plants inside next to a bedroom window with plenty of sun. I'll see it if changes anything tonight.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:37 am

My CSA this week included:

Green Beans
Green Kohlrabi
Zucchini
Green Onions
Potatoes
Bell Pepper
Cucumbers
Kale
Tomato
Cabbage
Yellow Zucchini
Garlic
Summer Squash

I've been eating what I can and juicing the rest. Love summer!

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:04 am

MP173 wrote:Ok, here is the latest update including an interesting tale from the garden.

First the story...last year we had spaghetti squash and I saved seeds, planting the seeds inside in April. The two seeds germinated and after a month were transplanted to the garden. The plants grew, but seemed to have a slightly different appearance. One puzzling aspect is while the spaghetti squash in the past would vine and travel over the garden, these two plants pretty much stayed in one location. Well, guess what...these are not spaghetti squash, nor are these plants the same, but one is green zuchinni and the other is a yellow squash. How did that occur?

Were the originals hybrid? When you save seeds from hybrids the offspring doesn't necessarily turn out the same. Also its possible that you created hybrids yourself if your original spaghetti squash cross pollinated with your zucchini or something like that.

My corn is looking great
Peas got some second growth starting from the bottom and we are still harvesting peas which is abnormal. The second planting of peas is now producing too
Spring cabbage came out pretty good, softball sized heads
First blueberry plant is done and gave us 4 or 5lbs, the second is just starting
Garlic came out and looked pretty good not a lot of huge heads but enough for sew for next year
Peppers are doing awesome we harvested a pepper before July. The variety was Jalafuego which are similar to Jalapenos.
First pumpkin to set last weekend and its growing rapidly in size. There may be another smaller one on another weaker vine too.
Bean are beginning to mature but last years pests are back. I think I caught them early enough this year though.
Fall cabbage and brocolli is sprouted and will go outside soon, a little late but it should be ok

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Squirrels! They are munching my tomatoes. Raised beds, chicken wire fencing they run straight through. Going to try chili spray - any other reccs?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:31 pm

arsenalfan wrote:Squirrels! They are munching my tomatoes. Raised beds, chicken wire fencing they run straight through. Going to try chili spray - any other reccs?

I have a fairly small garden, just four tomato plants and same of jalapenos. I bought some bird netting, which I put up over the stakes and secured it to the chicken wire with twist ties (they sell rolls of that). That keeps the squirrels out.

Earl

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:49 pm

I'd say it's time for the fall update. Things are finally cooling off here in Missouri.

The tomatoes have produced pretty well all year, not real heavy but pretty steadily. I have about two dozen of various sizes that I have picked recently. I made a Caprese salad for lunch today, with garden tomatoes and basil, and fresh mozzarella from Aldi. Very light and tasty.

The summer featured a number of heavy rains, which caused some splitting and loss. When rain was predicted, I started picking any that had any color, to finish ripening indoors. There were some insect problems, stink bugs and something else that chewed on some of the fruit. Unfortunately, internet research indicates that there's not much you can do without using a lot of insecticide, which I'd rather avoid. So some damage and loss.

The jalapeno plants took a while get going, but once they did they've been producing heavily.

Planted two snow-pea plants a few weeks back to try for some fall crop. We'll see how that goes.

I had tried white radishes earlier in the summer, but they bolted and grew some impressive radish plants without much in the way of radish. I did eat some of the leaves as greens and salad fodder. I have another set of plants growing in the cooler weather, so we'll see how those go.

I had originally planted basil in the garden, but for some reason it didn't take. I sprinkled some seeds in the end of a narrow decorative strip between the porch and sidewalk, and those are growing nicely. Never can tell.

Earl

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Here is an update for this year in the garden.

We finally received a frost this weekend (freeze) which killed off the bell pepper plants. I picked about 40 peppers yesterday and pulled all the pepper plants. Amazing...peppers in November (NW Indiana).

I am still eating lettuce and spinach, in fact a salad tonight. I planted potatoes in August, but am not confident of production. Sugar snap peas were planted and are about 24 inches tall. Will they bloom and produce? That is the question.

Finally, I planted 3 strawberry plants this spring and they took over a section of the garden. Should I do anything to them this fall?

Ed

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:32 pm

It seems like we get the "gonna be close" on frost each year. This weekend was one. I covered the tomato and jalapeno plants with a tarp and some old blankets. Also put a heavy towel over the basil. They mostly came through in good shape, some leaves on the outer edges of the tomatoes were nipped, as was the basil. The latter I plan to dig up and pot as it's pretty small.

Next weekend looks tougher with forecast lows for my zip code in the high 20s. I'll have to make a decision to try to push one more week or just pick the green tomatoes and call it a year. Forecasts could change and make the decision one way or the other.

Earl

Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Not sure if there will be a new thread for 2017, but with the warm weather in Texas we are already getting warm weather crops ready to put in the ground. Cool weather veggies (greens, peas, beets, etc...) struggled this year due to the unusually mild conditions interrupted by a night of abnormally cold weather. But, having said that, the peas have rebounded nicely and we should be harvesting soon. Kale, lettuce and mustard greens are doing ok with only the arugula looking as though it is tempted to bolt.

As for the warmer stuff, I've got tomatoes, squash and cucumbers already coming up from seed. Peppers seem to be slow -- perhaps they would like it a bit warmer. Will likely move some of those into to the garden this weekend as it appears the threat of frost is slim (the low was 70 last night).