Power washer recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
VINNY

Power washer recommendation

Post by VINNY »

I'm looking for a power washer to primarily use to wash my car with a foam cannon attached to it. The power washer is ideal for these types of foam cannons because they produce a nice lather of soap on the car to help rinse off debris with less scratching. Does anyone one have a recommendation on a power washer that they have used and are happy with.

I know there are electric and gas powered ones and I do not need that much power to wash the car with, in fact it can damage the paint if not used appropriately, I am aware of this. I am leaning towards a gas powered one in case I want to clean the driveway but I am open to suggestions. I have had good luck with Honda snow throwers and lawn mowers, but Honda does not produce a power washer.

Other companies do and use a Honda engine, like the Simpson model they sell at Sam's club but I read the reviews and they were mixed. Solid engine but cheap construction.

I want something durable, dependable and looking to spend up to $350.00. Any suggestions?

Thanks
victorb

Re: Power washer recommendation

Post by victorb »

Look at Northern Tool, they have a large selection and many with Honda engines and high quality pumps.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... re-washers
prudent

Post by prudent »

[Moved thread to Personal Consumer Issues - moderator prudent]
Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I bought one at Costco years ago with a Honda engine and have been extremely happy. I wouldn't get one that is too small - you may think you will only wash the car now, but once you have it you'll find all kinds of uses (cleaning walkways, patio furniture, gutters, house exterior, oil drips on my driveway from the old Jalopy's my kids friends drive, etc).

This looks like a good deal if you have access to Costco, and it's on sale with a rebate for well under your budget:

http://www.costco.com/PowerStroke-3000- ... 24297.html
daveatca

small is good

Post by daveatca »

Own Ryobi Model # RY141600 1600 PSI 1.2-GPM Electric Pressure Washer $120 USD
Happy
Used to wash multi-hundred sqft fence and sidewalk.
Electric is so much easier to deal with.
MikeZ

Post by MikeZ »

If you are just washing a car, a small electric will do. A gas one may well damage the car.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have used an electric for years,

2200PSI

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Electric- ... 716&sr=1-3
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
dm52

Post by dm52 »

If you ever want to wash more than a car, you'll wish you had a gas unit with some power. I bought a Dewalt 3400psi model with a Honda GX engine, and it's a great performer. $600. I use ethanol-free fuel with stabilizer in it so it can sit long periods between uses. With the right tip it is plenty gentle to wash the car, which I've done many times.
SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA »

I use a small electric one. It's been plenty of power around my house for washing fish blood off the deck of the boat that has caked on all day in the sun, cleaning the eaves of my house, washing cars, etc. I even cleaned my driveway with it once. Much easier to move around than a gas unit and much quieter.
whatusername?

Post by whatusername? »

I have an electric Briggs & Stratton that is just fine for blasting off the driveway every once in awhile. It's been reliable and effective. I've taken the paint and/or pinstriping off more than one vehicle, though, even being careful. Be ye warned.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I have a Briggs & Stratton. 2900 PSI. It worked great, until I lent it to a friend. Won't be doing that again. It still works, but runs crappy. I have to take it apart to start it between uses.

Get something with at least 3000 PSI. They say not to use the highest setting on your car, but that's not true. A 3000 PSI won't take paint off your car. I've used it on both of ours.

That said, get a brush. You can put as much foam on your car as you want, but it won't get the caked on dirt of without a brush.

JT
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

My concern with buying one of these is even the gas models I've looked at (such as Ryobi 3100) have this type of statement in owner's manual:
"Store the unit and accessories in an area that does not reach freezing temperatures."
If I buy one, especially a larger heavier one that has been powered with gas, I'm not dragging the unit inside for the winter - it will be stored out in unheated garage or shed where it will reach freezing temperatures. Should I be concerned (provided I drain it properly after use)?
CWhea1775

Post by CWhea1775 »

The answer to your question about freezing is YES! What happens is residual water left in the unit freezes and can ruin the washer. After having this happen to us once we now clean the unit and roll it into our basement in the fall.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

lol, where in the world are you guys driving that you need a power washer for a car wash? simple $5 nozzle on my nozzle and i'm good to go. (and i drive on plenty of muddy forest service roads when hiking)
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

DaftInvestor wrote:My concern with buying one of these is even the gas models I've looked at (such as Ryobi 3100) have this type of statement in owner's manual:
"Store the unit and accessories in an area that does not reach freezing temperatures."
If I buy one, especially a larger heavier one that has been powered with gas, I'm not dragging the unit inside for the winter - it will be stored out in unheated garage or shed where it will reach freezing temperatures. Should I be concerned (provided I drain it properly after use)?
Pressure washers are very easy to winterize in just a few seconds. Almost all box stores (lowes/HD) and hardware stores carry the small pressurized canister that replaces any remaining water in the pressure unit with lubricant/anti-freeze. You simply screw on the hose type adapter and press the top button until the solution starts coming out. Warning! Don't put your foot in front of the outlet as you will have soaked shoes. BTDT :beer
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

BTDT wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:My concern with buying one of these is even the gas models I've looked at (such as Ryobi 3100) have this type of statement in owner's manual:
Pressure washers are very easy to winterize in just a few seconds. Almost all box stores (lowes/HD) and hardware stores carry the small pressurized canister that replaces any remaining water in the pressure unit with lubricant/anti-freeze. You simply screw on the hose type adapter and press the top button until the solution starts coming out. Warning! Don't put your foot in front of the outlet as you will have soaked shoes. BTDT :beer
Thanks! Why Home Depot didn't give me this info when I walked out without buying one after asking this question I'll never know (actually I know - people that work there don't really know their products).
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

DaftInvestor wrote:
BTDT wrote:
Thanks! Why Home Depot didn't give me this info when I walked out without buying one after asking this question I'll never know (actually I know - people that work there don't really know their products).
Check out you tube- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqAIpEUsSM0

I use the Briggs & Stratton canister. About six bucks and I'm on third year of using the same canister. I find the Lowe's plumbing reps most helpful and the lawn and garden people the least helpful
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.