Cell phone question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rec7

Cell phone question

Post by rec7 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:38 pm

Right now I don't own a cell phone. I did not find a need for one. I am thinking about getting one with a 500MB plan. All I would do is banking, email and check the weather. Is 500MB a month enough?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

TerryDMillerMBA

Re: Cell phone question

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:58 pm

500MB for such light usage sounds great. You will have a very good idea of your needs after that first month.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:08 pm

I have heard not to watch videos they eat data. How about surfing? This will be my first cell phone so I have many new questions.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

hnzw rui

Post by hnzw rui » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:17 pm

rec7 wrote:I have heard not to watch videos they eat data. How about surfing? This will be my first cell phone so I have many new questions.

Depends on the websites. The older WAP practically text-only sites used very little data. However, mobile websites nowadays tend to be pretty graphic heavy. If you frequently have no wifi access, I'd be more comfortable with 1-2GB. Mind, I believe Cricket's cheapest smartphone plan is $35/mo with 2.5GB "high speed" data. T-Mobile used to have a 100 minute/5GB prepaid plan for $30/mo although I'm not sure if they still offer that.

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:45 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:24 am

rec7 wrote:Right now I don't own a cell phone. I did not find a need for one. I am thinking about getting one with a 500MB plan. All I would do is banking, email and check the weather. Is 500MB a month enough?

Unless you plan to visit youtube/espn/cnn/netflix and watch videos ALL the time, 500MG will be plenty.

The penalty for going over a little bit usually isn't much anyhow. My guess, is you'll be way way short of 500MG per month.

samtex

Post by samtex » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 am

rec7 wrote:I have heard not to watch videos they eat data. How about surfing? This will be my first cell phone so I have many new questions.

Another thought, if you have WiFi available at home or work, you won't need to burn up your data. You may want to check out Ting.com. Very good customer service, their plans fit our lifestyle better than any others I have found. Feel free to ask any questions. When I first started exploring smart phones it was confusing.

Samtex

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:54 am

My carrier lets me set alerts if I start to go over my data limit. See if your carrier will provide that notification.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:58 am

For your needs ,
Yes ,plenty of data :happy
Data usage calculator may help :happy
http://www.uscellular.com/data/data-estimator.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:20 am

As mentioned, you can use all the WiFi data you want and that doesn't count against your CELLULAR data limit. You'll tend to use Cellular data when travelling one way or another, so 500 MB is a good start for that.
I use 2-3 times that amount on some road trips, especially with a second driver...
Attempted new signature...

Mick

Post by Mick » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:18 am

We use Ting and will typically not even use their minimum of 100MB per month. This is mainly because Wi-fi is so prevalent and we have most things restricted to using it. When I want to check email, I manually select it when wi-fi is available rather than checking it over our data connection. When we go over it is normally when we are travelling. Pulling up google maps or Scout to find directions or a good nearby restaurant starts using the data faster. Over two years, I think we only went over 500MB one month. If you are smart about the usage you can keep it down.

johnubc

Post by johnubc » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am

If you currently do not use a smart phone - it is likely that you will use far less than 500mb per month. Make a concerted effort to use wifi when available - and it will be significantly less.

Try to not let the smart phone become your 'i am bored' device. Many people will now turn to their phone any time they have a free moment - instead of interacting with people or taking in their surroundings.

davidlhanson

Post by davidlhanson » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:15 am

I use two smartphones -- one a tracfone that costs about $100 per year (with 1200 minutes of talk time and some data) plus I buy another 4 GB of additional data for $50. However, a few months ago, I purchased a $30 Kyocera smartphone from Freedompop and your cost is $0 for their lowest cost plan which includes 500MB data. I pay $6 per month to Freedompop so that the data can accumulate up to to 20GB and I can use the Kyocera as a hotspot for my tablet.

My tracfone fone is a Moto X (1st gen) which I am using under their BYOP (bring your own phone program).

These are low cost ways to have a smartphone.
Last edited by davidlhanson on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:46 am

Toons wrote:For your needs ,

Thanks everyone and Thanks toons the calculator was neat. It looks like 500MB will be more than enough for now. I am planning on buying a used cell phone and banking with it. Is that risky? From a security viewpoint.
Last edited by rec7 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:52 am

rec7 wrote:

Thanks everyone and Thanks toons the calculator was neat. I am planning on buying a used cell phone and banking with it. Is that risky?

millions of people buy used phones.
I prefer new.
I will pay the difference.
Personal preference that is all
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:57 am

Toons wrote:
rec7 wrote:

Thanks everyone and Thanks toons the calculator was neat. I am planning on buying a used cell phone and banking with it. Is that risky?

I prefer new.

I forgot to add From a security viewpoint.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:00 pm

rec7 wrote:
Toons wrote:
rec7 wrote:

I prefer new.

I forgot to add From a security viewpoint.

There should be no issues as long as the phone has been reset to factory default :happy

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:02 pm

rec7 wrote:

Thanks everyone and Thanks toons the calculator was neat. It looks like 500MB will be more than enough for now. I am planning on buying a used cell phone and banking with it. Is that risky? From a security viewpoint.

Not especially risky, no.
I use my smartphone with my credit union, two credit cards, and two mutual fund families with zero hesitance and zero snafus.
You do want to DECLINE any requests for it to remember your password or even your username for those accounts!
Attempted new signature...

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks I am brand new to cell phone and know nothing.

metsmetsmets

Post by metsmetsmets » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:55 pm

Mick wrote:We use Ting and will typically not even use their minimum of 100MB per month. This is mainly because Wi-fi is so prevalent and we have most things restricted to using it. When I want to check email, I manually select it when wi-fi is available rather than checking it over our data connection. When we go over it is normally when we are travelling. Pulling up google maps or Scout to find directions or a good nearby restaurant starts using the data faster. Over two years, I think we only went over 500MB one month. If you are smart about the usage you can keep it down.

+1 on ting

Whakamole

Post by Whakamole » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:24 pm

hnzw rui wrote:T-Mobile used to have a 100 minute/5GB prepaid plan for $30/mo although I'm not sure if they still offer that.

T-Mobile still has that plan, though you have to start your plan by buying a SIM card from Walmart. I use it, have had great luck with it and coverage tends to be pretty good around these parts.

wander

Post by wander » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:22 pm

rec7 wrote:Right now I don't own a cell phone. I did not find a need for one. I am thinking about getting one with a 500MB plan. All I would do is banking, email and check the weather. Is 500MB a month enough?

Yes, 500 MB is enough. But usually, people start small and then have the needs for more.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:12 pm

Whakamole wrote:
hnzw rui wrote:T-Mobile used to have a 100 minute/5GB prepaid plan for $30/mo although I'm not sure if they still offer that.

T-Mobile still has that plan, though you have to start your plan by buying a SIM card from Walmart. I use it, have had great luck with it and coverage tends to be pretty good around these parts.

You can buy a SIM starter kit from the T-Mobile prepaid website; no need to go to Walmart. Also you can buy refills from callingmart.com tax free.

Infidel447

Post by Infidel447 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:07 pm

I like StraightTalk...get one with the Verizon service though. No contracts, can cancel anytime. Can set it up to autodraft, and can get a limited plan or get 'unlimited' which isn't really unlimited ofc...its more like 2GB. But I never use that much anyway. The 2GB plan is 35 and the unlimited is 45, which comes out close to 50 when you add in taxes, etc. Main thing I have learned when it comes to cellphones: never sign a contract, lol.