Don't understand nutrition and exercise

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nimo956

Don't understand nutrition and exercise

Post by nimo956 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:48 am

Every time I try to learn about proper nutrition and exercise, I get overwhelmed by the amount of conflicting information online. I always get the sense that people are either trying to sell you something, or are trying to promote their particular diet/workout philosophy. I just want something that's easy to understand without needing to have an advanced degree in chemistry.

I have what some would call a skinny fat body (skinny arms/legs, fat stomach), which I'm trying to reverse (build muscle and lose the fat). I am 5 ft 10in and weigh 70kg.

This is what I currently do, and what I think I need to do.

1. I don't eat junk food/fast food, or drink alcohol or coffee.

2. I usually skip breakfast because I'm rushed for work in the morning, so I only eat lunch and dinner. I usually just take a banana and eat that once I'm at my desk.

3. I eat a lot of fruits/vegetables, eggs, meat (chicken, steak, fish), nuts. Nothing that comes in a box.

4. I don't get enough sleep, maybe only 5-6 hrs a night when I know I should get at least 8. I get home from work close after 5 and just don't feel like I have enough time to myself after cooking/cleaning/errands.

5. I don't work out often and have trouble sticking to a routine. I know I feel good after working out, but making myself start the routine each day feels like a chore. I often feel like I'm tired all the time and have no energy.

6. The workout routine that I have devised uses dumbells and body weight exercises (mainly squat and press, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, and some arm/chest exercises with the dumbells). A single routine lasts 40min, including warming up. My goal is to work out every other day, or 3-4 times per week.

Please let me know what I can do to improve and stay motivated.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

GoldenFinch

Re: Don't understand nutrition and exercise

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:33 am

In regard to staying motivated to go to the gym regularly, making exercise a priority and a regular habit is exactly like "paying yourself first" and "investing early and often." If you force yourself to create a good habit, even when you don't want to, or it's annoying, it pays off in dividends in the future.

chknlips

Post by chknlips » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:42 am

Eat breakfast. Skip or reduce dinner. Eat like you are already a diabetic. Exercise every day. Stay out of restaurants. Make your health your everyday job.

C

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:54 am

Do a minimum of 20 minutes of aerobic exercise at least 3 times per week. Include some stretching in your program.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 am

Get a Fit Bit
1.At least 7 hours per night sleep
2.At minimum ,10,000 steps per day
3.Burn more calories than you eat,
4.Eat plenty of fruit vegetables,chicken,rice.
5.Don't smoke
6.Keep water around you and drink it,,a lot
7.Do some form of cardio exercise that helps release endorphins.
7.Eat some chocolate now and then.
8.Try to stay away from fatty foods.
8.Breath Deep ,relax a few times a day
9.Smile a Lot :happy :happy :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

mac808

Post by mac808 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:17 am

Cut carbs except for veggies. Carbs are the enemy, especially sugar (even moderate to high amounts of naturally occurring sugar) which in studies has proven to be many times more addictive than cocaine. (Hate to break it to you but that Banana you are eating every day is like the Kit Kat bar of the animal kingdom.) Don't drink anything other than water or tea (most people can't give up coffee or alcohol, so you're ahead of the game there). Sleep more, it's important. Keep lifting weights for exercise, aim for fewer reps and heavier weights; it's superior to cardio, especially as you age. If you love cardio then swimming is much better for your joints than running or cycling. Personally I skip breakfast and eat lunch and then dinner within a 6 hour window (late lunch around 2pm, dinner at 8pm). This is called intermittent fasting and seems to have a lot of health benefits. Sundays I don't eat at all, I just go the whole day fasting. I don't get hungry and feel great. If I read this post before trying this stuff I probably would have thought it was written by a crazy person.

Ari

Post by Ari » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:35 am

Carbs are fine, don't worry about it (yup, here's the "conflicting information"). It's sugar you need to worry about, but the sugar in fruit is also not very worrisome, since it comes with lots of fiber and other things that will slow the blood sugar spikes. Might want to be careful of fruit juice, though, which has all of the sugar but none of the fiber. Skipping meals is fine, too, including breakfast. There's nothing magical about breakfast. In fact, intermittent fasting (consuming all your food in a limited time window, such as 8 hours) has a lot of health benefits and can help you in controlling your blood sugar. If skipping breakfast makes you snack on a candy bar, however, don't do it. Skipping a meal is fine, but snacking is bad for you.

It's not that hard to be healthy. Don't eat junk food, try to eat mostly plants, get enough sleep and exercise and don't eat more calories than you expend. That's it, basically. You don't need to worry too much about macro ratios or all of that stuff. Try taking the stairs instead of the elevator and occasionally stand at your desk at work, if you can.

If you don't enjoy spending too much time at the gym, you might want to try HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Get on an exercise bike, pedal for a while to warm up, them max out for 20 seconds, giving it everything you've got. After that, rest for as long as you want, then repeat twice. These 3x20 seconds of intense aerobic exercise are as beneficial for your cardiovascular system as jogging for a long time (though it won't burn as many calories, of course). Make no mistake, though, those 20 seconds are hell, so it might be easier for you to run for longer at a lower intensity.

If you want to get in shape, however, as in getting rid of that fat and substituting muscle, it's going to be a lot more difficult. But you don't need to be muscular to be healthy (quite the opposite, actually, as restricting protein intake has been shown to increase your lifespan).
All in, all the time.

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:58 am

Eat breakfast
Get more sleep
Drink lots of water
Watch a documentary on sugar (or maybe it was a 60 minute piece ....). Substantially reduce all sugar types (especially refined, but also natural). Try raw cane sugar from trader joes when you do use sugar.
treat yourself once in a while .... ice cream, pizza, whatever.

good luck

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:26 am

Since you mentioned breakfast and fat stomach, try this for awhile (say a year or so):

viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092 (oatmeal, crunches, and abs post) You can modify the crunches to suit your taste and abilities. For instance, switch to bicycle crunches when your abs are strong enough after a several months. I add chocolate-flavored whey powder (small scoop) to make the oatmeal edible.

This really works for me and takes no extra time at all. It combines cooking, stomach crunches, and eating in a short 5 minutes. Furthermore, it sets the day for you.

I am taller and weigh less than you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:10 am

I agree there is a lot of conflicting information. Use your common sense and be leery of exotic diets. Have a balanced diet that minimizes high fat foods, fried foods, soft drinks, minimize sugars and alcohol. Establish an exercise regimen and stick to it. Once you create a habit, it is easier to follow. There can be a lot of variety in exercise but you should do at least 3 20 minute cardios a week. Jogging, swimming, elliptical and cycling are all good. Exercise is good for you and can be a great stress reliever. When I worked, I jogged at the end of the day and it helped reduce all that stress that had built up during the day.

MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:16 am

A few simple truths to always keep in mind:
1) Your weight is essentially determined by calories in vs calories out. Different types of calories will make you feel more full or keep you from getting hungry longer, but it still comes down roughly to calories consumed vs calories burned.

2) You can't choose where your body burns fat. It will store and burn it wherever it will regardless of what you eat or what exercises you do.

3) Muscle mass burns more calories than fat mass, so adding bulk means you'll burn more calories even when you aren't exercising.

It seems like each person has to find their own answer. Some love the gym. Others like running. Others like playing basketball or ultimate Frisbee. In the end, you want to eat healthy (sounds like you are doing reasonably there), do some type of strength training, and do some type of aerobics. Doing a little of each has huge benefits. The more you do of any of them, the more your return on investment diminishes.

TT

Post by TT » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:29 am

Here is an extremely healthy diet to follow-

Cut down on processed foods and try to eliminate them completely
Eat whole grains only
Cut down on Casein protein from your diet - add complex carbohydrates
Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
Calories are not as important as counting and reducing fat esp. saturated fats, salt and all sugars i.e.white flour, white rice, etc.

Read - "The China Study" by T Colin Campbell PhD and Thomas M Campbell MD

closetoreality

Post by closetoreality » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:33 am

Macros and Micros. Learn them. End of thread.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:37 am

You're not going to find what you're looking for here. What you'll get is a lot of conflicting opinions from self proclaimed experts, many of whom have no access to resources beyond what you have access to.

Either go meet face to face with a nutritionist or go to an OA meeting (oa.org).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 am

Someone who is 5'10" and 155 lbs is not an overeater. Different nutritionists will give conflicting information.

I like that there is a lot of conflicting information in this thread.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

just frank

Post by just frank » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:44 am

The OP is doing pretty ok. What is the problem? Is he/she overweight? Feeling 'older' and out of shape? What?

It appears the only problem is that the OP feels compelled to 'exercise' but doesn't like the routine he/she has set. Sounds like a boring routine to me.

I think a little strength training and some mild cardio is prob better than this routine. Try to get some walking and or biking time into your weekly routine. Being outdoors is good. In a natural space even better. Try to do some walking, either at decent speed, or with some topography at least a few times a week. Make a list of parks/trails that are not too far from your home, and do one per weekend for <1 hour. If you can work walking/biking into your commute, do that. It doesn't need to be every day. Tell yourself that you have to take the stairs rather than the elevator sometimes.

EDIT: I get it: skinny-fat. Consider that you are a healthy person with a normal body type and a body-image problem. Do you consume media that has a lot of super fit young people in it? That work out because they are models, and then are photoshopped to boot.

Your weight and height is not 'skinny fat'. You are just not 'cut' with 6-pack abs like some fantasy body type that only exists with extreme attention and age under about 35. Or you are not muscled in your upper body the way you think a 'real man' should be. Get over it, or change jobs to become a blacksmith.

FYI, I am not intending to give the OP a hard time, e.g. for being 'vain': **everyone** has their vanities. I just think that the OP is comparing himself to the wrong reference group or set of expectations. Go take a look at muscle men from 1940 or before....these guys who were revered...Men's health would now call them low-T skinny-fat.
Last edited by just frank on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:55 am

OP, If you are that confused then you should find a personal trainer/nutritionist and use him/her for a month or two. A good trainer will develop a plan that takes into consider your lifestyle, preferences, and goals. You need someone who can show you what to do, how to do it, when to do it, and then even explain why you are doing it. I've worked out and maintained a healthy diet most of my life so I always thought personal trainers were overrated until I tried one. Sometimes you need someone to work side-by-side and teach you. The biggest complaint from people is the cost, but what is more important than your health? Ask around for recommendations - word of mouth is the best form of advertising. Good luck.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:04 am

Another vote for that the OP is doing well.

A BMI of 22.2 is great. What you eat is great. Your exercise program sounds sound ( but disagreeable). I hope you will be able to keep it up.

You did not mention your age and for me after 50 the body fat redistribution has become annoying and depressing.

I would suggest extending your sleep to at least 7 hours if not 8. Personally I love strong black coffee without sugar/artificial sweetener and I wish I could drink it in the late afternoon and evening as well without interfering with my sleep
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:09 am

I've been dutifully exercising for the past 3 months, 4 times a week at the gym (cardio and workout) and a light routine at home the other days. My diet includes little sugar, no coffee, no soft drinks, etc (been the case for years, actually). I sleep better now that I semi-retired, much less stress. And I didn't lose a pound (210lb for 5"8)... I feel healthier, but yeah, progress is slow, and the weight is frustrating. As to the conflicting information, geez, that is VERY confusing indeed. The calorie theory has intuitive appeal, but seems to be debunked nowadays. It used to be that meat was bad and vegetables were good, but now you're supposed to focus on proteins at night (at least if you exercised). There are good carbs and bad carbs. Go figure.

I wish there would be a "nutrition and exercise" Bogleheads forum, something centered on simple common sense, cutting through the BS... Not sure there is such a thing. Oh well, I'll keep exercising...

OP, I tried using a trainer, thinking that I'd do it for a month to get the hang of it, and I discovered that she's actually quite instrumental in pushing me and motivating me to continue, so I decided to keep going for a while. And this isn't expensive at all, very much worth it (to my surprise!). You might want to give it a try if you have motivation issues.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:11 am

livesoft wrote:Someone who is 5'10" and 155 lbs is not an overeater. Different nutritionists will give conflicting information.

I like that there is a lot of conflicting information in this thread.
Ah. I didn't catch the part about being 5'10" and weighing a buck fifty five.

I think constructive discussion about the various opinions regarding nutrition and weight loss are fine, but many people (even here) seem inflexible about what they believe is the correct way to eat and exercise. The reality is that no one knows for sure, and there is no shortage of opportunistic personalities out there who use this fact to con unsuspecting people out of their money.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:17 am

Ari wrote:Carbs are fine, don't worry about it (yup, here's the "conflicting information"). It's sugar you need to worry about, but the sugar in fruit is also not very worrisome, since it comes with lots of fiber and other things that will slow the blood sugar spikes.
For me, at least, this could not be more wrong. I am not diabetic, but I am insulin resistant. For me, hunger is the enemy, which means that carbs are the enemy. If I am not careful about eating carbs in isolation (yes, even something as innocent-seeming as fruit), I might start a cycle of hunger that can literally make me unable to sleep until I eat more than I had planned to.

Some people (not necessarily referring to Ari here) who talk about "eating like their ancestors did" seem to forget that even many "natural" foods have been bred to satisfy modern tastes and might bear little resemblance to their long-ago precursors.

I feel very strongly about this. On the one hand, I don't want to be contentious; on the other hand, I am so, so, so very grateful that I finally got to the point when I realized that I had to discard 90% of the conventional wisdom on nutrition and do my own legwork to figure out what worked for me. I think it's important for people to realize that, if they've tried to be "good" for years by avoiding dietary fat and it's left them heavier and discouraged, it might not be their fault--it could be that they're trying to play using a set of rules which makes it impossible for them to succeed.

Ari

Post by Ari » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:26 am

climber2020 wrote:The reality is that no one knows for sure
Bunk. Everyone knows. It's not complicated. Don't eat lots of fatty and sugary processed food, eat lots of veggies, don't eat too much, do some exercise (pretty much all kinds are great). That's it.

The above is the "index fund" version. There are lots of ways people try to have their cake and eat it, too, and that's where all the fad diets come from. Maybe I can eat bacon if I don't eat any potatoes? Maybe I can eat sweets if I limit it to a special "cheat day"? Some may work for some people some of the time. YMMV. But the above solution does work, is well proven and pretty much no dietician will disagree with it.
All in, all the time.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:32 am

I like following beachbody programs and their nutrition plans. If you want to get lean and lose the gut, I recommend trying P90X3 or T25.

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 am

Ari wrote:
climber2020 wrote:The reality is that no one knows for sure
Bunk. Everyone knows. It's not complicated. Don't eat lots of fatty and sugary processed food, eat lots of veggies, don't eat too much, do some exercise (pretty much all kinds are great). That's it.
Not so fast. Fat doesn't make you fat. http://time.com/96626/6-facts-about-sat ... tound-you/

beyou

Post by beyou » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:59 am

I think it's very simple, it's all about discipline.

Discipline to get a variety of exercise every day, there is no one perfect type of exercise.
Discipline to eat a modest quantity of a variety of healthy foods.

Healthy foods can be subject of huge debate, but fruits, vegetables, and modest amounts
of carbs/meats. Limit candy/desserts/any sugar laden foods (even if labeled healthy or low fat,
forget labels and read ingredients).

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:08 am

Nutritional science seems to be the least scientific of the sciences. I don't know how to make sense of the information either. It seems to be contradictory at best and unfounded at worst. It's as though every opinion is given equal merit.

The things I am sure about here are small. With regard to losing weight, they are the following:

1. For your body to burn fat, you simply need to burn more calories over a time period than you consume.
2. There are many paths available for limiting your caloric intake or for increasing your caloric burn.
3. We don't really know if there is a best method for intake limitation or burn. So, you have to just choose what will work best for you.

Here are my own opinions:

1. Increasing your body's muscle mass will increase the amount it burns. I don't know if that increase is sizable or not.
2. One obvious method to accomplishing this objective, assuming you are operating with perfect rationality, is to count the calories you consume.

I have trouble sticking to any discipline nowadays. I do find that it is much easier to exercise if I do it as part of a routine and especially if I am able to listen to an audiobook that is very enjoyable during that time. Otherwise, exercise is very much a chore and if I don't feel motivated to do it (which is rare), then it can feel like something that's taking away from me rather than something which is helping me.

I don't have any advice for overcoming the psychological issues that keep us from exercising and eating right. I have been able to cut out drinking sodas and sweets recently and have been able to get back down to my ideal weight, but I have found that process to be very hard and not the least bit pleasurable, except perhaps when I look at my belly in the mirror. The connections I had built up between my emotions and what I consume are rather firm. They are lessening now as more time passes, but my first thought when the day is turning bad is still "I want a coke."

If I might suggest one thing, perhaps we need the equivalent of the Total Money Makeover plan for nutrition. That plan works well for the masses because it addresses their psychology. Maybe there are already a hundred such plans out there. Probably :) But it does seem that you need to either have extraordinary inherit discipline and resolve to solve this problem or some sort of health wake up call. If there is an emotion, an energy, that pushes you with more strength than the other emotions which try to keep you where you are, it would make this whole process a lot more doable. It seems to me that we already know the right thing to do, we just don't know how to get ourselves to do it.

- Tim

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:15 am

This thread has run its course and is locked, as the OP is asking for medical advice. See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Here's why we don't permit medical advice: Re: How to deal with dentist phobia

Update: See below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:47 pm

After receiving a PM, a member has suggested this discussion does not constitute medical advice. There's a very large gray area between medical advice and diet and exercise. Upon further review, this thread is unlocked to continue the discussion.

Please avoid making any kind of claims on the health benefits of certain foods.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:56 pm

I"m taking a diabetic nutrition class through OSU right now. I'm learning that portion sizes really do matter. We've learn about the plate method of food intake. Carb counting is another method, which I prefer. Carbs turn to sugar in our systems, and as we age the body doesn't handle that as well. I just got back from a walk of 2.5 miles. I drank a bottled water while walking, and ate supper. A baggy of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. I'm starting to enjoy the change. I've lost 5 pounds, and not getting hungry at all. 8 oz skim mile with most meals, and fruit portion, and veggies making up the most. Small portions of meat. Last night I made buffalo whole wheat spaghetti. I've now got 3 meals in the fridge for later this week. As someone else said, sleep of at least 7 hours a night is important for health. Good luck.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:14 pm

Nimo -

I think you are doing very well. I would only emphasize two ideas for the future:

1) Add aerobic exercise to your life. Walking is great. Slowly work yourself up to 2-3 miles a day. Don't worry about pace, it will increase naturally as you become more fit. Buy a pair of good walking sneakers first.

2) You need to eat some sort of balanced breakfast every day. Also, based on personal experience, I would recommend a "Mediterranean diet". Consult with a certified nutritionist or your physician.

Good Luck!
Illegitimi non carborundum.

simmias

Post by simmias » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:17 pm

Ari wrote:restricting protein intake has been shown to increase your lifespan
If you're a mouse.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:21 pm

http://www.westonaprice.org/

This is a good nutrition resource you can study.

For exercise, it helps me to find something enjoyable and be consistent with it. Anything that moves the body around. :D
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:32 pm

PJW

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:34 pm

I just want something that's easy to understand without needing to have an advanced degree in chemistry.
You are already there. Index investing might not be the absolute best thing to do but it works very well and does not require a PhD in finance to understand and implement. And even if not the best we don't know what is better and the vast majority of things you might try are likely worse.

You diet is very much in that mold. No fast food, nothing out of a box, lots of natural foods. Sounds like no or little desert.

You could use more sleep and exercise.

Your current exercise routine is fine as far as it goes if you do this 2-4 times a week. But I would suggest as others have that you add some significant aerobic exercise. Could be 3 times a day at work you get up and walk at a decent pace for 20 minutes - add a bunch of stairs if you can. Do that every day. Park 20 minutes from work and add a lunch walk. Something like that is pretty easy to add.

I would think just getting more sleep would help your energy a lot.

This will not make you look like a hardman or a magazine model. Then again, I work out a great deal more than this and I still don't look like a hardman or magazine model - some of us just ain't going to get there by natural means. :)

(if you want to be a super athlete then you might want more specific diet and exercise advice, but if you just want to be a very healthy and reasonably active person you just need to tweak what you are doing - this does not take rocket science).
Last edited by Rodc on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:37 pm

I suggest reading these books and following the sorts of things recommended:

1. Younger Next Year
2. Thinner This Year
3. The Okinawa Program
4. Health Meart Miracle

Read and follow http://www.drmirkin.com - and get the ezine mailing from Dr Mirkin

This is NOT low carbohydrate - but low in processed carbohydrates. Neither is it low in fat - but low in unhealthy fat.
Last edited by dm200 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:39 pm

http://authoritynutrition.com/

I follow them on Pinterest at no charge.

I like this site, it is evidence based.
Last edited by PoppyA on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neuro84

Post by neuro84 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:42 pm

As per PJW's post - keep up on your vaccines!

Seriously, I think your intake is fine. You need to prioritize healthy sleep, and you need to get more regular exercise. IMHO, it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as it gets your HR up to 75% of maximal (220 minus your age) and you can do it for 20-30 minutes at a time, at least 3x/week.

The problem most people have with exercise (in my experience as a physician trying to talk many patients into exercising more) is that nearly everyone views it as a chore. You have to make it enjoyable somehow, or you'll never keep it up. After you make it a habit for several months, exercise becomes its own reward, but in the wind-up phase, you may have to tie it to some external reward (not something unhealthy like ice cream).

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:46 pm

OP, how far do you live from work? Could you ride a bike to work?

I think the key is finding something active and fun that you enjoy (biking, running, swimming, paddle boarding), especially if energy is lacking and you have trouble sticking to a routine (who doesn't).
TRC wrote:I like following beachbody programs and their nutrition plans. If you want to get lean and lose the gut, I recommend trying P90X3 or T25.
+1. I've only done P90X but was amazed at how my body composition improved in just a couple of weeks. I've pretty much always worked out (trained for football in HS and college) but this was the first time I followed a nutrition plan and the results with P90X were better than any training program I had done in the past.

But it takes a ton of motivation to stay committed -- and continue to do. Far more than most people have including myself.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Advice I hear often for the OP's situation is to make sure to get plenty of rest between weight training sessions. This means 7-8 hours sleep nightly and it means not working out 3-4 times per week.

Starting a fire requires heat, fuel and air. Building strength requires exercise, protein and rest.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:58 pm

What has personally worked for me was to log my data through a fitness tracker (which tracks sleep and exercise) and a food diary app on my cell phone. That helped me identify potential issues and come up with a plan to remedy them.

It sounds like you've started to identify issues, but you might find data logging to be useful. Not only would it establish a baseline, it could also help you narrow in on what personally helps you achieve your goals.

Motivation is also a constant issue. I've used another app on my phone to set reminders to go to bed, which was my main issue (falling asleep on the couch or in the computer chair instead of going to bed). That was a very specific example, but there are many phone apps which can help establish habits such as exercising regularly.

I also use my data tracking as a sort of motivation. I download the tracker data into a spreadsheet and use conditional formatting to color-code the cells from green ("good") to red ("poor"). So it becomes a sort of game to keep the activity cells in the green range.

Edit: I'll also add that for me, personally, until I improved my sleep habits, nothing else was working. My current sleep average is still not perfect, but it is much better than it was 3 months ago and I'm already seeing the benefits.

ram

Post by ram » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:57 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1454084

"subjects in group 1 underreported their actual food intake by an average (+/- SD) of 47 +/- 16 percent and overreported their physical activity by 51 +/- 75 percent."
Ram

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:13 am

You don't get stronger exercising. You get stronger recovering from exercise. Get some rest :happy

wbrianwhite

Post by wbrianwhite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:58 am

Ari wrote: Bunk. Everyone knows. It's not complicated. Don't eat lots of fatty...
Nothing wrong with healthy fats - nuts, avocados, fatty fish like salmon etc. If you cut fats, what do you replace it with? Carbs or protein are the only options. Adding fat to carbs lowers the glycemic index significantly.

wbrianwhite

Post by wbrianwhite » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:01 am

If you don't like your exercise routine you're less likely to stick to it. Find one you like. Check out some of the streaming options, Amazon or Daily Burn. If you're doing weights, do an actual program, like New Rules for Lifting, where you change it up once you've made all your adaptations.

mirror

Post by mirror » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:04 am

nimo956 wrote:I am 5 ft 10in and weigh 70kg.
How old are you? Are you male or female?

Ari

Post by Ari » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:11 am

wbrianwhite wrote:
Ari wrote: Bunk. Everyone knows. It's not complicated. Don't eat lots of fatty...
Nothing wrong with healthy fats - nuts, avocados, fatty fish like salmon etc. If you cut fats, what do you replace it with? Carbs or protein are the only options. Adding fat to carbs lowers the glycemic index significantly.
So, my quote was "It's not complicated. Don't eat lots of fatty and sugary processed food". In what world is nuts, avocados and fatty fish "fatty and sugary processed food"?

This is the problem, right here. People want to reduce it all to small bits and claim "this little thing is healthy and this little thing is not". People know what's healthy and what's not. Nobody in their right mind think avocados and salmon are unhealthy foods. Fruits and veggies are healthy, bacon and marshmallows aren't. It's not rocket science. There are some grey areas, but it's not something you need to worry about if you just want to stay reasonably healthy.
All in, all the time.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:41 am

But I LIKE bacon and pizza and beer.

Seriously.

I hate answers like "Eat food you hate for the rest of your life."

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:22 am

Spend three to six months following a basic barbell program using simple linear progression.

Get strong and everything else will take care of itself.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:15 am

HomerJ wrote:But I LIKE bacon and pizza and beer.
I really like that this is coming from someone with a screen name of HomerJ.

For the record, I also like bacon and pizza and beer. :sharebeer

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:39 am

By looking at your weight, your diet is probably fine, but adding breakfast would be a good idea. Without breakfast, you're basically cramming all of your calories in within a short time frame, and your body will need constant fuel to both give you energy during workouts and to help with recovery. I wouldn't worry about gaining weight because of adding breakfast. Weight lifting workouts, as you've described, generally don't burn as many calories as cardio DURING the workout, but your body will be working hard AFTER your workout. You'll find that your metabolism will speed up and you'll be able to eat more without gaining weight. Plus, any weight gains should be because of adding muscle, so it's important to look less at the scale and more at yourself. You will also want to get more sleep as I've seen studies showing that building muscle is much more effective in people getting proper sleep, and you should have more energy during the day. If you find yourself with low energy, maybe you should replace some of the protein/fat that you're eating with some complex carbs. Carbs are needed to fuel your workouts, and will only turn to fat if you aren't using them during your workout. Americans generally eat enough protein, and after 120 grams for you, the extra protein won't be doing much.

Regarding your workout routine, you want to find one that you don't hate doing, so you can find some consistency. The workout routine that you described seems fine, and if you could do that every other day, and mix in some brisk walking sometimes, you'll be in good shape.