Anyone bought a new bed recently? [Mattress]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hardrain

Anyone bought a new bed recently? [Mattress]

Post by hardrain » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:41 am

I've been having increasingly sore back issues and am convinced it's our 10+ year old bed.

Any good advise for someone trying to find a good, gimmick-free bed? Is there tech that's actually proven more standard and lasting compared to 10 years ago? I'm not looking for anything extreme or to manage specific medial issues.

Teague

Re: Anyone bought a new bed recently?

Post by Teague » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:46 am

Your best resource is probably found at:

http://www.themattressunderground.com
Semper Augustus

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm interested in this also. We could probably use a new mattress but I hesitate to step foot into any of those places because of their business practices.

daveatca

Post by daveatca » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:22 pm

AAA wrote:I'm interested in this also. We could probably use a new mattress but I hesitate to step foot into any of those places because of their business practices.

Take with you a few important phrases:
    Not buying today
    Too expensive for me
    No
    In research phase
    I need to think about it
    Oh, really?

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:30 pm

We were going to get a "memory" foam type mattress but ended up getting a Latex foam mattress instead. Had it maybe a year. Like it a lot. Wife was having issues with her shoulders, old mattress too hard. We put a memory foam topper on it, maybe 3 inch. That helped, but wore out after a few years.

Sleep Number spends a great deal on adverting, but I have tried them in hotels and do not like them.

Very personal decision.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Was in the same boat. Notable back issues, older bed. Looked long and hard. Ended up with latex mattress, and adjustable frames. One of the best decisions we ever made. Instead of tossing and turning, I can go from 4hrs , up to all night and never turn. It's amazingly comfortable! Didn't like the quicksand effects of memory foam. It's a very personal
Decision though. Good luck!

fposte

Post by fposte » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm currently bedshopping as well, and I've found http://oldbedguy.com/ a useful read. He's cranky but very knowledgeable veteran of the mattress industry.

aj76er

Post by aj76er » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:05 pm

Teague wrote:Your best resource is probably found at:

+1
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle

marquette

Post by marquette » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:37 pm

In about 60 days of trying one of the new internet mattress in a box guys. There are a ton now and I believe mattressunderground has reviews on most. Basic premise is some sort of foam base layer with some additional latex or memory foam layers on top. They ship it in a box and give you a $0 cost 120 sleep trial. Prices are generally < 1k for a King. I'm trying Brooklyn Bedding at the moment. I'm pretty happy, but the $0 cost to return has me thinking I might want to try a couple other things. If it's a return they donate it (some have you donate it) and they just build this into their business model. Casper is the big player in this market, but their beds seem to only get mid-level reviews although their advertising is great.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:20 pm

aj76er wrote:
Teague wrote:Your best resource is probably found at:

+1

+2

Reading there convinced us that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to mattresses. We decided to try a latex mattress which hadn't been on our radar at all. After about a year, we are still loving it.

corysold

Post by corysold » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:22 pm

We just bought a Brooklyn Bedding mattress to replace our 11 year old innerspring. After a few weeks we are very pleased. I was a bit worried about not being able to try it first, but the return policy put those fears to ease somewhat.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:40 pm

We are also getting close to replacing our mattress. One piece of advice I can give is to steer clear of an olympic queen size. That was the largest size that would fit in our room. Finding sheets for it was expensive to the point we used king sized sheets folded over. We plan to replace it with standard sized queen. Lots of choices to consider so I will be following this thread.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:21 pm

SpringMan wrote:We are also getting close to replacing our mattress. One piece of advice I can give is to steer clear of an olympic queen size. That was the largest size that would fit in our room. Finding sheets for it was expensive to the point we used king sized sheets folded over. We plan to replace it with standard sized queen. Lots of choices to consider so I will be following this thread.

Have you tried eBay for olympic queen sheets? I see lots of listings. We have split king sheets, which are not common, but easy to find on eBay.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:11 pm

We are shopping as well. Are the beds that tilt worth the expense? We have never used one but I think they would be nice. They can run as high as $10k, though.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:26 pm

I like my life simple. Slept nicely on a 500-600 dollar mattress/spring set for all my years. When it gets too old, I go in and get another, pretty much like it -- Sealy, or Simmons, etc.

But I have to fight off the idiots in there who think they know better than I what I want to sleep on. (Somehow their solution always reaches multi-thousands of dollars.) Just ignore them and tell them to sell you what you want.

penumbra

Post by penumbra » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:34 pm

tomhole wrote:We are shopping as well. Are the beds that tilt worth the expense? We have never used one but I think they would be nice. They can run as high as $10k, though.

The adjustable frames are FANTASTIC!!! Among the several shops i went to (SoCal area), they said 30 - 40% of beds they sell now include them. If you have tried one of the zero gravity recliners that are out there, you know if that configuration helps your back. You can simulate it while sleeping. You can also tilt the head up to read, or just a little at night if you have reflux. We got the Leggett and Platt brand, with presets, and also the massage capability. About $2500 for split kings. Worth every penny.

RetiredIn2011

Post by RetiredIn2011 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:18 pm

A very good website is www.sleeplikethedead.com They have tons of information on all different types of products and it seems to be reasonably unbiased.

We had a great experience at Urban Mattress. I was completely skeptical walking into the place. After talking with the folks and trying the beds we went with a latex (multiple layers) all natural mattress. It was more expensive than we planned but it has worked great. Prior to that we tried a memory foam mattress from Costco. Thank god for their very generous return policy. It was terrible. My son and daughter-in-law also went to Urban Mattress and were very impressed. She keeps telling us "that's the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in".

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:12 pm

hardrain wrote:I've been having increasingly sore back issues and am convinced it's our 10+ year old bed.

Any good advise for someone trying to find a good, gimmick-free bed? Is there tech that's actually proven more standard and lasting compared to 10 years ago? I'm not looking for anything extreme or to manage specific medial issues.

I bought one summer of 2014 after doing TONS of research.

Best time to buy a bed apparently is May - http://www.cheapism.com/blog/4026/best-time-to-buy

I had settled on a memory foam one off Amazon...but when I actually laid on one at the store it was uncomfortable as he**, so skipped the Amazon route.

After laying on multiple beds...and going back more then once, Ended up buying a Beautyrest.

Most states- you cannot return a bed once purchased, so....don't go cheap and regret it (I did that once 20 years ago).

Had to spend nearly $1000 for what I have now and it's been worth every penny.

Also note - a 4 point frame can invalidate a bed warranty! Go figure....I have a 5 point (wheels on 4 corners and one support underneath in the middle). Hit Google and do some reading. Good luck!

trsk

Post by trsk » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:22 pm

After buying a very expensive bed which hurt my back and started divoting after 3 days, I spent 3 months doing research on bed materials and mattresses. I have shared this information with 4 other people. All of them followed this path and are now happy as I am with a bed that does not divot, is totally flat, is totally adjustable to your comfort level, and will last for decades. My bed is now 4 years old and like new. Here was my solution:

You can buy several 2 or 3 inch organic latex toppers (@ priced between $200-400 depending on size (twin, queen, king) of your bed and the density of the topper) and place them on top of a cut to size 3/4 inch piece of birch plywood (home depot will cut for you). This keeps the bed perfectly flat, and can be placed on top of a super cheap box spring if you need extra height or do not have a mattress only bed frame. The plywood rests on top of the box spring frame which is why there is no need to spend extra on it. Use what you have now, if possible. Do not try to place these toppers on anything less than a board - the toppers will only follow the contours of the material underneath - so they are no real help if you put them on top of something already divoting. The bed stores where you can try out these bed toppers charge a premium so you will want to put together your own combination (and invest your savings!) All of my contacts started with an extra firm density for the bottom 2 or 3 inch topper (3" added more height for them, which I didn't need since I bought the cheap box spring for height). Buy only the Dunlop process latex topper. The Talalay process pumps in extra air, and, like the foam they put in "expensive" mattresses, won't hold its shape for more than 6 - 9 months, if that.

So, after the cheap box spring, or mattress only bed frame, then the birch plywood, then the base of an extra firm density 2 or 3 inch Dunlop process latex topper, you can add what suits your best sleeping comfort level. In order to avoid returns (usually possible up to 30 days), I suggest you buy a medium density Dunlop process latex topper (again 2 or 3 inches in the bed size you have). (For me, sleeping on this medium level topper on the floor for two weeks was more comfortable than my $3,000 bed!) Sleep on these two toppers for a day to a week to determine how much more or less "give" you need for your sleeping comfort. Then order a middle layer that suits you. My contacts and I have used three different solutions for the middle layer - another extra firm, a firm density, or another medium density. You may not even need a middle layer except to add height up to a "normal" bed height. Or you may want to add two more layers (e.g. four 2" toppers). Only you can sort this out based on the height of your bed frame, your box spring, etc.

Start at www.organictextiles.com and see all their suppliers which range in price and whether they are organic. All latex is "natural" since it comes from the rubber tree.

Other notes: One of my contacts is allergic to latex and is having no problem because these toppers are covered with (1) a purchased "mattress cover" that zips three 2" toppers inside (so it looks like a "normal" mattress) plus (2) a typical mattress cover that just covers the top (see www.downlite.com - theirs are great!).

Always! open the latex toppers when they arrive and air, turn, air for 3 to 7 days. Even the latex allergic person had the odor of rubber disappear after a very short while (and she is a self-described princess and a pea sleeper.)

The toppers expand when you open them so carry them close to your bedroom before you remove the plastic!

If your sleeping needs change, you can add, replace or remove toppers as you need. This is much cheaper than "normal" mattresses.

To make your bed "look" pretty, you can wrap board and box spring with a sheet or get a mattress only bed frame. My mattress cover fits nicely over everything so I never see it.

If you already have a box spring, start with it as your base for the birch plywood. It adds height so you can buy fewer toppers.
This is a 20 to 30 year solution since the Dunlop toppers are so durable. So it's a highest quality, least expensive, long term solution.

The suppliers ship pretty quickly. I received my toppers in 3 days after ordering by telephone.

My long research process resulted in "Original Mattress" company making the second best mattress choice. They have the old style springs which can be ordered with wool padding not foam (which won't last). Also their mattresses can be flipped over and rotated so wear can be spread out. Prices are the best of "normal" mattress choices. Biggest problem is for king size beds of all brands - a block of polystyrene or other support material is placed down the middle which keeps sleepers on either side of the bed. Impossible to sleep in the middle of any king size bed. Have you noticed? Flat king size latex toppers do not have this problem - the whole bed is flat, so you can sleep in any direction and anywhere on the bed with the exact same firmness. Also, foam and other mattress materials are often made with petroleum products which can produce toxic off gassing.

Hope this helps and you have many wonderful nights! It's 1/3 of your life hours - so worth the time and money, right?

Good luck from
Well-slept.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:50 pm

I use a high quality memory foam topper (3 inches) on a standard (ie inexpensive) firm bed. I swear by it, but your mileage may vary.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 pm

hardrain wrote:I've been having increasingly sore back issues and am convinced it's our 10+ year old bed.

I went with Brooklyn Bedding for the mattress and I am happy so far, though it has only been about 6 months. My best advice is to avoid, at all costs, any of the major chain retailers like Sleepy's, and also avoid the major manufacturers like Sealy, Simmons, etc.

Go to some store where people are honest if you can (a tall order), and try various mattresses. Find out the statistics of the one you like best....in the case of latex, whether you prefer Dunlop or Talalay (I prefer Talalay), and the ILD, which is a very important number conveying the feeling of firmness of the mattress. Then search for a similar mattress with similar components and ILD at a lower price from a smaller manufacturer. Also be cognizant of the base material and thickness, and warranty. themattressunderground.com contains some good info. I bought online without any problems.

I am totally sold on latex. I had my previous latex mattress for at least 25 years. It also obviates the need for a boxspring. I have allergies and I found that my allergies improved 90% when I switched from a conventional mattress to latex. I'm not that crazy about memory foam (I have a memory foam mattress in another room). It sleeps hot, and when two people sleep on it the valley it creates is relatively unpleasant- I "sink". Then again, from what I hear, memory foam varies in quality. Maybe I just don't have a good one.

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:26 pm

I did a lot of research before we bought ours including sleep like the dead, mattress underground and a variety of other sites. Since its difficult to figure out who is getting paid by whom to review what I tried to take the aggregate of what I was reading. This lead me towards a Latex mattress because I already sleep warm on a pillow top so a memory foam might end up sweat soaked (I didn't consider it worth the risk to try the variety of marketing buzz word heavy cooling procedures used in some memory foams)

So this is my experience with a latex mattress:
-When we initially got it we noticed that within the first month we felt notably more rested
-I frequently stayed at the same couple of hotels for business travel. What had once been comfortable beds were not as comfortable after we got our new bed and I felt much more weary during my business stays (despite it occasionally being the exact same room)
-My temperature was ever so slightly warmer than our old pillow top
-I moved much less frequently in my sleep.
-I changed from a 50/50 back/side sleeper to a 90/10 back side sleeper
-We really liked being able to have different firmnesses with no additional charge as my wife prefers a much softer bed than I do
-When I changed sleeping habits my mattress became too soft resulting in some lower back pain (Side sleepers typically need more softness than back sleepers). I was able to re-order the latex foam layers to better accommodate my new sleeping style with a minimum of fuss and almost completely eliminate the lower back pain

So we are extremely happy with our latex mattress. I bought a 9" Queen from an online retailer for ~$1500 which is far far less than the ones sold locally ($3-4k)

Hope that helps

DetroitRed

Post by DetroitRed » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:37 pm

The Feb 2016 issue of Consumer Reports has mattress ratings - http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm

If you don't have a subscription, your public library should have a copy (at my public library that have electronic access that I can use after authenticating with my library card).

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Maybe we're just not that picky, but very happy with the Beautyrest we purchased from http://www.us-mattress.com/
And they frequently have coupon codes available.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:42 pm

AAA wrote:I'm interested in this also. We could probably use a new mattress but I hesitate to step foot into any of those places because of their business practices.

new car salespeople and mattress salespeople are trained at the same Dowe Cheatem and Howe marketing school (courtesy of NPR's Car Talk)
there are several threads on BH referring to the wonderful mattress purchase experience
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:48 pm

Can anybody with latex tell me how difficult it would be to flip the mattress with only one person? I've only got a full, but I've heard they're murder to corral because they're so gelatinous.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:02 pm

fposte wrote:Can anybody with latex tell me how difficult it would be to flip the mattress with only one person? I've only got a full, but I've heard they're murder to corral because they're so gelatinous.

I've flipped a thick, all-latex queen alone. It's a pain, but doable. Move the bed near a wall and use the wall to assist you.

fposte

Post by fposte » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:06 pm

protagonist wrote:I've flipped a thick, all-latex queen alone. It's a pain, but doable. Move the bed near a wall and use the wall to assist you.

I can do that! Thanks for the info.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:08 pm

fposte wrote:Can anybody with latex tell me how difficult it would be to flip the mattress with only one person? I've only got a full, but I've heard they're murder to corral because they're so gelatinous.

I believe the majority of latex mattresses are designed to not be flipped. My understanding is that a properly made latex bed is very durable with a lifespan of 20-30 years as is. I think ours is pretty typical in that there is a very firm bottom layer, a medium firm middle layer, and a softer top layer. The overall effect is some softness and give but with an underlying rigidity to provide support. You could rotate it, but flipping would make for hard sleeping :-). Fortunately we got a split king (ie. a king but split down the middle), so moving it around is much easier than it could be.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:10 pm

fposte wrote:
protagonist wrote:I've flipped a thick, all-latex queen alone. It's a pain, but doable. Move the bed near a wall and use the wall to assist you.

I can do that! Thanks for the info.

That said, many latex mattresses have base layers that are not latex (or of latex of differing thickness), and latex mattresses, in theory, do not have to be flipped. I flipped mine for cosmetic reasons.

It does help to rotate them from time to time (a much easier task, though still considerably harder than a conventional mattress)

TRC

Post by TRC » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:27 pm

Not sure where you live, but if you're in New England, check out "Gardner Mattress". We ended up throwing out our 2 year old Serta Icomfort after it became more saggy than a hammock. Gardner is made local, the old fashioned way.

trsk

Post by trsk » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:56 pm

Regarding lifting/rotating latex mattress: Since my mattress is made up of 3 two inch toppers, I carried each piece upstairs myself and have opened and installed each one. The extra firm (high density) was about 50 pounds - awkward but doable, even for a senior woman. The lower density toppers weigh less, and you can ask for the shipping weights before purchase. I've only rotated mine once in 4 years, and that was just to see if it was making any difference to the feel, not because I thought it needed rotating or flipping. It didn't make a difference. One of my contacts put her medium density underneath her firm and she liked that feel even better than the reverse. When moving the toppers it is easiest to jiggle them up and down in little waves rather than just pull them across each other.

As another poster mentioned, you can have a firm or extra firm base on the bottom, and then put two twin toppers next to each other of different density in case bed mates need varying firmness/softness. You can see how this can work on this website photo: https://www.earthsake.com/store/Utopia3 ... tress.html. Not recommending any particular store here. Just part of my research process. Not affiliated with any company - just a research-oriented consumer.

Prices can vary, and sales are around.
Good luck!

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:15 pm

the latex mattress we have (a king) does not flip, supposedly that is not necessary and the bottom is not a finished surface. yet I did rotate it once - not any easy task for one person
On the day I change the sheets I do not have to work out, these suckers are heavy. I do expect this one to be our last mattress...
oh, and our mattress seems to be one solid block
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:39 pm

We have a king 6" latex (firm) mattress with a 3" latex (soft) topper. We flip or rotate the topper relatively frequently. It is a breeze with both of us doing it, but one person could do it without much difficulty.

We far less frequently flip or rotate the mattress. It is definitely a two-person job--at least I don't want to tackle it solo. As others have mentioned, many latex mattresses are not suitable for flipping due to differing firmness layers.

davebo

Re: Anyone bought a new bed recently? [Mattress]

Post by davebo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:34 pm

This thread is really eye opening to me. We've only had 1 mattress for 13 years and I haven't really considered replacing it unless we were to upgrade to king sized bed. It seems that mattresses are only good for 8-10 years?

I was looking around though and I actually have a pretty highly rated (per the mattressunderground site) mattress shop within a few blocks of my house. They hand make the beds right there. I'll have to check it out!

hardrain

Post by hardrain » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Dramatic conclusion: A lot of latex fans in here, and we considered it seriously, with the major problem being we couldn't find a store anywhere near us that actually carries them (owners have all claimed there isn't any interest here, in large part because of the price point, but who knows, maybe it's just less profitable to sell, or both). So that was a hard jump to make without even getting to touch one.

That said, we got lucky on timing and don't have any hangups about buying a clean and well cared for floor model, ended up with a traditional mattress 50% off list. Certa, queen, no pillow top. I'd say the pitfalls of a pillow top, especially on a cheap mattress, are the biggest lesson learned for us.

In terms of fixing the original problem, I can say it's 1000% better (using specific numbers given the audience at this forum). Didn't need to spend $4k to fix my back issues, and we're both sleeping way, way better. The issue wasn't the type, just the quality and age. This certainly didn't leave me anti-latex and I would love to check it out next time, but I can say it's probably also not a required (significant) investment for the others on here concerned about back issues and sleep quality.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:23 pm

The last mattress I bought was ten years ago and I bought it after sleeping on the same mattress at a motel one evening. I slept so well that in the morning, I flipped up the sheets and made sure to write down the mattress type and model before checking out. Since then, I keep a list that I write down whenever I'm on the road and find a nice mattress I like so when the time comes for a new one, I'm prepared.

trsk

Post by trsk » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Hardrain,
So glad that you have found a solution for your bed/back issues. While your bed is still relatively new (before any divoting starts), and when it works for you financially :happy, you might consider adding a 2"topper. Medium firmness if you like a little give, firm if you really like a totally supported feel. A king size medium will cost about $250, shipped in a few days (see suppliers at http://www.organictextiles.com). This would give you some experience with the ease of using latex toppers and see how durable they are. If this works for you, then next time around you could just add two layers underneath this first buy, total cost for three toppers less than $1,000 for a 20-30 year (minimum) solution.
Hmm...over 58,000 hours of support and comfort...
sending many happy zzzzz...zs.
trsk

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:46 pm

If you go with memory foam, take a good look at Consumer Report evaluations. From advertisements, you might think that Temperupedic (sp>) is the only brand out there, but it is rated lower and is much more expensive than many other brands. We have found with standard mattresses, the same thing. Though not as heavily advertised, Simmons have been great for this person with a history of back surgery.

Tim

BigTom63

Post by BigTom63 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:05 pm

fposte wrote:I'm currently bedshopping as well, and I've found http://oldbedguy.com/ a useful read. He's cranky but very knowledgeable veteran of the mattress industry.

Thank you very much for the oldbedguy.com idea.
I spent weeks researching the process of mattress shopping and my engineer mind really liked The OldBedGuy's mindset and information, especially the importance of knowing your BMI( body mass index) and the certipur.us information about foam.
I filled out the new mattress buying questionnaire survey on his website and agreed with his personal recommendation that for my wife and I, the Charles P Rodgers King size Powercore Nano2 was best. I ordered the mattress, it has been manufactured and has shipped and is expected to arrive 4/12/2016. Cost $2,639.20. Will report back after sleeping on it for a month.
As a part of this mattress shopping process, I started to pay attention to the mattress advertisements that arrive in my snail mailbox. I see a lot of mattresses on sale for $1,000 to $2,000 more than what I paid. I am very happy that my research did not included any visits to retail stores.
My existing mattress is a Westin Heavenly Bed and is abot 8 years old.

jayjayc

Post by jayjayc » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:20 pm

I seriously injured my back and was visiting a chiropractor 2-3x a week and working through physical therapy. After 3 months, we bought a Tuft & Needle mattress. My back was all better within a week. Now I don't know what really healed my back and I'm not saying the Tuft & Needle mattress healed my back. However, I do believe it played a role.

This is obviously an anecdote and not a scientific finding but nevertheless it was amazing.

It's been a year and I still love how comfortable this mattress is.

mags

Post by mags » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Bought memory foam but returned it after 30 day trial. It was too hot for me. Went back to traditional spring mattress beautyrest black and have been happier.

A440

Post by A440 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:31 pm

We purchased a Novaform mattress from Costco.com. Works well for me, and I have herniated lower discs. Plus, if you can get it to Costco, you can always get it replaced for free if it ever needs it. :D

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:38 am

After about 15y we bought a new box spring / mattress (reserving the word 'bed' for the mattress / box spring / headboard / footboard combo).

3 best weekends to shop are coming up: Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.

We went out on all these weekends lying around on mattresses. Came closer and closer to our final choice on the Labor Day outing and bargained like crazy. Ask, ask, and ask some more, this business has very high margins and is a business like few others, requiring excellent sales / negotiation skills and product knowledge.

As mentioned before there are many personal preferences so just try a lot of styles and types and brands and lie in them for an hour at a time. Yes it takes a lot of time, and plan on spending more than you planned. (We ended up spending about $2100 on a set that was something like $3500 in their 'regular' prices, and have not regretted it one bit.)

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:06 am

lthenderson wrote:The last mattress I bought was ten years ago and I bought it after sleeping on the same mattress at a motel one evening. I slept so well that in the morning, I flipped up the sheets and made sure to write down the mattress type and model before checking out. Since then, I keep a list that I write down whenever I'm on the road and find a nice mattress I like so when the time comes for a new one, I'm prepared.

When we travel, we tend to stay at the same brand hotel chains and always got a great night's sleep on their mattress. I finally thought that when a replacement was needed I would see where the product was made and purchase one. As it happens, you can buy the same directly from them according to hotel brand and have it delivered to your home. They remove the old set as well which was a ten year old latex. The "hotel mattress" is also a two sided one which is able to be flipped, most are made by Sealy.

It has worked out great and now we sleep as well at home as we do when traveling. It finally made sense that many full nights sleep on a particular mattress was a better test then five minutes in a store.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:13 am

We splurged and got a King that was probably not the cheapest, not the most expensive. Sleep is one thing that we don't be real frugal on.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:39 am

I was going to replace my old mattress recently because due to ortho issues it was no longer comfortable. At the advice of a friend who raises sheep, I instead tried a wool mattress pad (they are thicker than pads) from http://www.zwool.com/buy-wool-online/wo ... ress-pads/ and it has made all the difference. It has a covering, so you don't feel the wool, no issue with scratchiness.

I have had this for over a year, still fine. I have a regular mattress pad over it, but if I ever needed to wash it, you can ship it to them and they do that.

The zwool people are very nice. They will custom make a topping to size, which they did for me. For a extra long full bed the total cost was $290. A standard full size is currently on sale for about $225. A heck of a lot cheaper than a new mattress.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:40 am

mapleosb wrote:
lthenderson wrote:The last mattress I bought was ten years ago and I bought it after sleeping on the same mattress at a motel one evening. I slept so well that in the morning, I flipped up the sheets and made sure to write down the mattress type and model before checking out. Since then, I keep a list that I write down whenever I'm on the road and find a nice mattress I like so when the time comes for a new one, I'm prepared.

When we travel, we tend to stay at the same brand hotel chains and always got a great night's sleep on their mattress. I finally thought that when a replacement was needed I would see where the product was made and purchase one. As it happens, you can buy the same directly from them according to hotel brand and have it delivered to your home. They remove the old set as well which was a ten year old latex. The "hotel mattress" is also a two sided one which is able to be flipped, most are made by Sealy.

It has worked out great and now we sleep as well at home as we do when traveling. It finally made sense that many full nights sleep on a particular mattress was a better test then five minutes in a store.

This was my fall back plan if the zwool topper had not worked. Marriott does this.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:47 am

davebo wrote:This thread is really eye opening to me. We've only had 1 mattress for 13 years and I haven't really considered replacing it unless we were to upgrade to king sized bed. It seems that mattresses are only good for 8-10 years?

I bought my mattress from a place that made them themselves, when I was in college. I am now collecting Social Security. Except for adding the topper I wrote about a few posts ago, it is still fine.

corysold

Post by corysold » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:12 am

corysold wrote:We just bought a Brooklyn Bedding mattress to replace our 11 year old innerspring. After a few weeks we are very pleased. I was a bit worried about not being able to try it first, but the return policy put those fears to ease somewhat.

Just to update since I had posted this, we ended up returning the mattress after 60 days.

The mattress itself was very comfortable to sleep on. However, there is very little support on the sides, which my wife did not like at all. She felt like anytime she moved towards the edge she was going to fall off. It also isn't very conducive to sitting on the side of the bed to put socks on or such.

So I love the idea of a latex mattress, I just need to find one that has more support on the edges.