Northern VA / DC: Recommended building contractors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
phositadc

Northern VA / DC: Recommended building contractors?

Post by phositadc » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:37 am

Any NoVA / DC area folks have a particularly good experience with a building contractor that you would like to recommend?

I'm thinking about having a detached 2-car garage with a finished upstairs built on my property and am in the initial stages of trying to put together a potential list of contractors whom I would consider hiring for the job. I'm aware of sites like Angies List, but I find personal recommendations to be more useful!

If you don't want to share publicly, please feel free to send me a PM!

Also, out of curiosity, if anybody has undertaken a similar project (detached garage + finished upstairs) and has any particular advice, I'd love to hear about experiences. This will be my first time hiring a contractor to build something.

Thanks!

FreddieG

Re: Northern VA / DC: Recommended building contractors?

Post by FreddieG » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:57 pm

Tom Schultz of Helping Hands Construction. Honest as the day is long and a decades-long track record.

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:34 am

phositadc wrote:Any NoVA / DC area folks have a particularly good experience with a building contractor that you would like to recommend?

I'm thinking about having a detached 2-car garage with a finished upstairs built on my property and am in the initial stages of trying to put together a potential list of contractors whom I would consider hiring for the job. I'm aware of sites like Angies List, but I find personal recommendations to be more useful!

If you don't want to share publicly, please feel free to send me a PM!

Also, out of curiosity, if anybody has undertaken a similar project (detached garage + finished upstairs) and has any particular advice, I'd love to hear about experiences. This will be my first time hiring a contractor to build something.

Thanks!
Awhile back, I was looking to have my basement finished and spoke with several contractors. I was most impressed with Ryan Reph Remodeling (http://www.ryanrephremodeling.com/ ). They have good reviews on yelp. The rep I dealt with was really helpful.

I ultimately did not go through with the project. Fairfax has a two egress rule and refinishing my basement would require adding an extra egress. Since most of the basement is underground, adding the extra egress significantly increased the cost.

Topic Author
phositadc

Post by phositadc » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:21 pm

Thanks to both of you for the replies!

NOVACPA

Post by NOVACPA » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 pm

NOVA Remodelers

They did my entire condo and have done great work on other people's places.

The owners are two great guys and we're on site every other day with crews there daily.