What Book Are YOU Currently Reading? PART II

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fbone

Post by Fbone » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:41 pm

Now reading Betrayal by Aaron Allston

BlueEars

Re: 21

Post by BlueEars » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:17 pm

nisiprius wrote:
grok87 wrote:21: The final unfinished voyage of Jack Aubrey...

I was on the fence as to whether to read this one (after reading the 20 books in the series). It was well worth it...
cheers,
Well, what on earth are you going to do now that you've finished them? I'm just checked out The Truelove and The Wine-Dark Sea from the library and am starting to worry about being more than halfway through. Fortunately my wife gave me a copy of A Sea of Words, a book by Dean King that defines many of the words and has a lot of background information on sailing, surgery in the 1800s, etc. and that will slow me down as I constantly stop reading to look stuff up.
...(snip)...
I'll check out the Sea of Words book as I was very puzzled by all the nautical terms when reading O'Brian. Thanks!

I've read a few of O'Brian's books and heard at least one book-on-tape but have sort of forgotten where I got off in the series. Any suggestions by those who've read a lot of Patrick O'Brian's books on where to start? Should one start at his first book or ... ? Perhaps a silly question :)

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Another historical fiction writer (British) is C. J. Sansoun. He has an excellent series set in Henry VIII's England in the early 1500's. The first book is Dissolution -- lawyer Mathew Shardlake investigates a murder at a monastary about to be closed down by Cromwell. A very good read.

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:05 pm

nisiprius wrote:

I was on the fence as to whether to read this one (after reading the 20 books in the series). It was well worth it...
cheers,
Well, what on earth are you going to do now that you've finished them? I'm just checked out The Truelove and The Wine-Dark Sea from the library and am starting to worry about being more than halfway through. Fortunately my wife gave me a copy of A Sea of Words, a book by Dean King that defines many of the words and has a lot of background information on sailing, surgery in the 1800s, etc. and that will slow me down as I constantly stop reading to look stuff up.

I'm currently reading Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens, because I had to get The Truelove through interlibrary loan and needed something to read while it was arriving.
Yeah I know- There's a couple of others that don't have the Aubrey/Maturin characters- THe Golden Ocean and the Unknown Shore- I'll give them a try I guess.

Thanks for the tip on "A Sea of Words"- I'll check it out, sounds very useful. I'm thinking maybe of rereading the series a bit more slowly and trying to figure out what all the nautical terms mean.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Les wrote:
nisiprius wrote:

cheers,
...(snip)...
I'll check out the Sea of Words book as I was very puzzled by all the nautical terms when reading O'Brian. Thanks!

I've read a few of O'Brian's books and heard at least one book-on-tape but have sort of forgotten where I got off in the series. Any suggestions by those who've read a lot of Patrick O'Brian's books on where to start? Should one start at his first book or ... ? Perhaps a silly question :)
I started with the Far Side of the World (not sure why, probably because of the movie). Then I went back and read them in order. I'd probably just start with the first one. Or if you read the first one a while ago, you could conceivably start with the second which is very different (mostly on land I think).
cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks grok87.

BTW, for those who might also be interested in the O'Brian books, it appears a good way to figure out which book comes next in the series is to go to Amazon and search for "Patrick O'Brian book #" where # is the number you're interested in. I get mine from the library.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:54 am

"Sail" by James Patterson.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

MC Handyman

Post by MC Handyman » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:55 am

My current and favorite book so far has to be Think and Grow Rich, By Napolean Hill.

HAs anyone read the OG Mandino Series? I have taken a liking to them as well.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Currently reading A Random Walk Down Wall Street. I think it's the best book on investing I've read thusfar.

GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:20 pm

Just about to start Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. I've read Beevor's The Battle for Spain and really liked it. Stalingrad is supposed to be one of the most popular of his history books so I'm really looking forward to it. Anyone else read it?

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:33 am

"The Whole Truth" by David Baldacci.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:08 pm

"Phantom Prey" by John Sandford.

runthetrails

Post by runthetrails » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Les wrote:Another historical fiction writer (British) is C. J. Sansoun. He has an excellent series set in Henry VIII's England in the early 1500's. The first book is Dissolution -- lawyer Mathew Shardlake investigates a murder at a monastary about to be closed down by Cromwell. A very good read.

I've just finished the 4th book in the series on audio. Good historical mysteries.

Edit to add a link to author's bibliography (FantasticFiction.co.uk)

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:20 am

Just started "The Omnivore's Dilemna" by Michael Pollan.

runthetrails

Post by runthetrails » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:59 pm

OK, haven't read this yet, but it looks interesting, and might be of interest to frugal-minded Bogleheads.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =112557219

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:00 am

Trend Following by Michael W. Covel

This book is not for the diehard Bogelhead; however, if you want to learn about trend following, this is a great book. The author does a great job at explaining what trend following is and is not. For example, a trader using trend following DOES NOT attempt to predict market movements. They believe that all available information is reflected in the market price; therefore, they use price and only price to determine market entry and exit.

Perhaps the most famous traders using trend following were the "Turtles" trained by Richard Dennis. You can download "The Original Turtle Trading Rules" at http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/ ... erules.pdf.

These trading rules are definitely not for Bogleheads, but it will give you a great insight into what traders really do.
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers

chaz

Post by chaz » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:34 am

Good to see so many Bogleheads reading.

grok87

Physics for Future Presidents by Muller

Post by grok87 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Physics for Future Presidents by Muller
Excellent so far!
RIP Mr. Bogle.

medgar

Post by medgar » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:26 pm

Just finished one of the better Appalachian trail thru hike books.

On the Beaten Path By Robert Rubin

Excited to start a book that all my runner friends have recommended.

Born to Run:A Hidden Tribe, superathletes, and the greates race the world has never seen by Christopher McDougall

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:56 am

"Shadow of Power" by Steve Martini.

vicmish

Current Books

Post by vicmish » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:21 pm

In an attempt to understand where our president is coming from and where our country is going, I bought both "Dreams From My Father" and also "The Audacity of Hope". Just finished the first and last night started "Audacity". Very interesting. No more comment since it's not appropriate for this forum.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Over: The American Landscape at the Tipping Point, by Alex S. MacLean. It finally occurred to me that I can get expensive coffee-table books just as easily as I can get novels, from my local public library via interlibrary loan if necessary.

This is a stunning, magnificent collection of aerial photographs showing environmental and land-use issues like irrigated golf courses in the middle of deserts, speculative McMansions surrounded by woods, small tracts of artificial suburban-type residential housing "out in the middle of nowhere," requiring an automobile trip for almost any commonplace errand, etc.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:54 pm

nisiprius wrote:Over: The American Landscape at the Tipping Point, by Alex S. MacLean. It finally occurred to me that I can get expensive coffee-table books just as easily as I can get novels, from my local public library via interlibrary loan if necessary.

This is a stunning, magnificent collection of aerial photographs showing environmental and land-use issues like irrigated golf courses in the middle of deserts, speculative McMansions surrounded by woods, small tracts of artificial suburban-type residential housing "out in the middle of nowhere," requiring an automobile trip for almost any commonplace errand, etc.
"irrigated golf courses in the middle of deserts" - sad but visit Las Vegas.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:57 pm

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

Enjoyed his Norwegian Wood and After Dark last winter.

Thanks to Alex for recommending Murakami.

Frobie

Post by Frobie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:22 pm

I'm still working on Murakami's Underground, which is good.

Also reading How the States Got Their Shapes by Mark Stein. As someone who occasionally finds himself cruising around Google Maps looking at random things just for fun, I like it a lot.
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed. --Booker T. Washington

BlueEars

Re: Current Books

Post by BlueEars » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:58 pm

vicmish wrote:In an attempt to understand where our president is coming from and where our country is going, I bought both "Dreams From My Father" and also "The Audacity of Hope". Just finished the first and last night started "Audacity". Very interesting. No more comment since it's not appropriate for this forum.
A few questions. Which one would you recommend reading first? Also do you think the book would really help you understand what the President actually does when in office, or maybe how he operates behind the scenes? I'm trying to keep these questions neutral politically.

Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Message dceleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runthetrails

Post by runthetrails » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:03 am

Recently completed The (Mis)Behavior of Markets, by Mandelbrot, and the audio version of Peter S. Beagle's A Fine and Private Place.

Now reading Your Inner Fish, by Neil Shubin and listening to Born to Run by Christopher McDougall.

I am not yet far into Born to Run, but it is exciting. I think I'll want to read more about the Tarahumara in the future.

metabasalt

Post by metabasalt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Stone's Fall by Iain Pears.

Kemosabi

Post by Kemosabi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:45 am

The Lexus and the Olive Tree. Interesting pre-9/11 thoughts and the early rise of the internet.

foodnerd

Post by foodnerd » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Just finished Character Counts by John C. Bogle. Boy, he likes to give a good speech, doesn't he?

I am starting The ETF Book by Rick Ferri.

FN

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:55 pm

just started The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard Evans
just finished Four Pillars, great book

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 am

dkdoy wrote:just started The Coming of the Third Reich by Richard Evans
just finished Four Pillars, great book
Four Pillars is a great book.

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am

"Unlucky In Law" by Perri O'Shaughnessy.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:13 pm

"Midnight Club" by James Patterson.

RJB

Post by RJB » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:32 pm

David F. Swensen's revised "Pioneering Portfolio Management, An Unconventional Approach to Institutional Investment".

In the Boglehead Mode of keeping costs low, I checked the book out from my local library.
Last edited by RJB on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mbrasher1

Post by mbrasher1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:34 pm

GammaPoint wrote:Just about to start Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. I've read Beevor's The Battle for Spain and really liked it. Stalingrad is supposed to be one of the most popular of his history books so I'm really looking forward to it. Anyone else read it?
Yep, I have read most of Beevor's books. The Stalingrad book is very well done. Unbelievable the cruelty and deprivation that both sides suffered. The poor civilians (esp Russian orphans) caught in the middle. His book on Berlin was good too.

chaz

Post by chaz » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:26 am

"The Secret History" by Donna Tartt.

cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:53 am

The ETF Book by Richard A. Ferri.

CountryBoy

Post by CountryBoy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:58 am

How We Die by Sherwin B. Nuland, teacher of surgery and medicine at Yale University.

One very beautifully written and enlightening book. A true breath of fresh air.

JoeMatye

Post by JoeMatye » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 am

The (Mis)Behavior of Markets by Mandelbrot

medgar

Post by medgar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:44 am

Just finished and highly recommend Born to run to all the runners out there.

You will not look at your running shoes the same again and maybe save some money on your next ones.

Just started the new Teddy Roosevlet book Wilderness Warrior

tj218

Post by tj218 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Dreadnought by Robert Massie. About Anglo-German relations in the 19th-20th century leading up to WWI.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:40 am

"The Art of Travel" by Alain De Botton. I also enjoyed his other books and recently came across a wonderful article on the art of conversation "It's Good to Talk".

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Chas

Post by Chas » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:41 pm

I may have posted this before, I don't remember.

"A Conspiracy of Fools", by Kurt Eichenwald. It is a NYT reporter's documentary of the rise and fall of Enron. Very well documented and factual based. I recommend it for any of you who enjoy insights into the tragedy of, and the human failings within, the real world of giant industry. Ones jaw drops at the arrogance, audacity, and the very magnitude of the fall of Enron. Any investor that owns, or plans to own, individual stocks should read this.
Chas | | The course of true love never did run smooth. Shakespeare

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Victoria thanks, I requested "Art of Travel" from my library after reading a little of Amazon's reviews: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Travel-Alain- ... 112&sr=8-1 Sounds like the author is covering some travel thoughts I've considered on occasion.

bcboy57

McMurty

Post by bcboy57 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:33 pm

norookie wrote:Lonsome Dove"........I wanted to read it, it was better than the TV series.
Yes, Lonesome Dove is a memorable book and one of my favorites.

It is actually the 3rd chronological book of 4 about the unforgetable lives of Gus and Woodrow. The others are - Dead Man Walk, Commache Moon and Streets of Loredo.

If you enjoyed Lonesome Dove, you'll also want to read those.

Doug

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:01 pm

The Commodore, by Patrick O'Brian.

I'm getting worried: only three, and an unfinished fourth, after I complete this one.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:30 pm

P. D. James' A Taste for Death
Gordon