Relocating for a job--lots of life changes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jags4186

Relocating for a job--lots of life changes

Post by Jags4186 »

Hi All,

I am at a pivotal point in my life.

I currently am employed in sales at a medium sized family owned company in New Jersey. I have advanced as far as I can and also have grown somewhat resentful of working here for myriad reasons.

I have been applying to positions and received an offer from a MegaCorp with great advancement opportunites. However, the job I applied to, which was located in Northern New Jersey, was given to someone else. However, they apparently liked me enough that they offered me the same position, however in Florida. The offer involves a circa $25,000 raise, a circa $30,000 bonus (vs. the circa $10k I receive now), 10% vs 5% current 401k match, stock purchase plan, life insurance, FSA, HSA, better health benefits, dental, vision, disability etc. Everyone in my industry who I have spoken to seems to think I am nuts for not considering the job.

The cons--I would be working out of my home as the corporate headquarters is in Chicago. I know no one in Florida. I am getting married in May and she would have to leave her job, find a new one, and if she doesn't find one by the time we're down there she'd be sitting at home alone. Even with my increase I would be making less than both of us make today. It could be very stressful on our new marriage.

So I guess I'm looking for thoughts. I am 29 years old and this is IMO an opportunity that I really should seize, however, the relocation was never part of the picture until the last second.

Thanks

Update from below:

I have received a firm offer. The salary is $21,000 more than I am currently receiving--$90,000 base. It was the exact number I asked for in the initial pre-interview process. I plan on attempting to negotiate this up as relocation wasn't part of my decision making process when I gave that number out.

I will receive a company car and gas card--bummer considering I just bought a new car 2 months ago. I currently receive $700/mo car allowance at my current company and they already pay for all of my maintenance and gas. This is a downgrade IMO.

15 days vacation, 6 personal days (sick or whatever), 10 holidays, 3 floating holidays. Bonus is 30% of salary based on company targets, so slightly less than $30,000. I asked for more information regarding the achievability of that number year 1.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quantAndHold

Re: Relocating for a job--lots of life changes

Post by quantAndHold »

Having done pretty much exactly this a couple of years ago...a couple of things to consider.

Have you run any of the various cost of living calculators on the web to see whether your cost of living will go up or down in the new location?

Does your (soon to be) wife have job skills that can easily transfer to another location? What is the economy like for her work in the new location? If she has transferable skills I wouldn't worry specifically about her finding a job on day one. She'll find a job eventually. I would worry more about moving to a place where she'll never find a good job. How much does she like or dislike her current job? This is a decision you really have to make together, because it affects you both.

If you don't move, what are the career opportunities like in your current location? Is there a future if you don't move, maybe at a different company?

Do the two of you want to live in Florida? The first year to 18 months in a new place is *always* hard, but you will make new friends and develop new relationships. It's helpful to actually want to live in the new place, though.

How much travel will there be in the new job, and is that a good or a bad thing? Will the career path that you're looking at eventually move you someplace else, or will you be staying in Florida? And is that what you want?
mhc

Post by mhc »

What does your fiance' think? How hard would it be for her to find a job?

Why would she be sitting at home alone if she couldn't find a job?

You're in sales. You should be able to make new friends quickly.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

The most important thing is to discuss this with your fiancée. This will impact as much as you and she needs to be part of the decision process. Do not put pressure on her to agree to this relocation. Have an honest and objective conversation taking into account both of your thoughts and concerns. If she is reluctant to this relocation, you will be getting off to a bad start in your marriage if you coerce her into it. Best wishes.
snowman

Post by snowman »

This is a tough one. I expect you will get variety of responses. There is no right answer here. A lot of moving parts...

A lot depends on how both of you like FL - climate, people, taxes, etc. If the idea of moving down south excites both of you, I would definitely consider. Some people never get used to heat and humidity, so just keep that in mind.

I suspect other posters will focus on not-so-reasonable job accommodations. Working out of a house in FL while the corporate office is in IL sounds OK for sales position, but it also makes you far removed, and therefore expendable when the bad times hit. Again, just something to keep in mind.

Do you plan to have kids? If so, would you prefer to raise them in NJ or FL or elsewhere?

Do you have debt that getting a job with higher pay and better benefits would help eliminate quicker?

Like I said, too many moving parts. On the other hand, you are young, no kids, so this may be good opportunity. Even if it doesn't work out, the damage will be minimal and you will quickly recover.
TMCD75

Post by TMCD75 »

I like the idea of working out of my house. I'd go for it at your age, I'm 11 years older than you and sometimes I resent not moving to Florida in my late 20s.

Do it now, before you have a child. This really isn't that tough of a decision because you can always go back home and find a job with your experience.
joebh

Post by joebh »

If you are working out of your home, why the need to move to Florida?
Did you mean that your territory would be Florida, but that you'd use your home for your office?
What part of Florida?
What kind of career does your fiance have? Does she have skills that are transferable and in demand in Florida?
Most importantly - what does she think of moving to Florida?

Florida has some nice places to visit. I don't know anyone who works there.
And working out of your home would be different, if you've never done so before.

Sounds like an exciting opportunity. Your stage of life is the best time to take risks.

When my son graduated from college, he got a good job locally here in Massachusetts. After working there for 1.5 years, he got a terrific opportunity in San Francisco. We miss him a lot, and I don't think he'll ever move back to this coast, but he made a great decision!
daveatca

Been there

Post by daveatca »

Years ago I relocated to Colorado because my wife had a "could not refuse" job offer.
There is only one thing to consider: This is a JOINT decision. Both of you must be happy or failure will ensue.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

So to answer a few questions:

The position is a sales role/account management role. I would cover Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. 70% of the total business is in Florida hence why I would be stationed there. They want me to relocate to Orlando as I can hit all of the major Florida markets and Atlanta via driving.

There would be 50% travel required.

My fiancé and I have spoken about this and we are both undecided. She is a little excited about it. I'm very excited except for the relocation part. Part of me feels as if I'm not a risk taker and this is my chance to try. Another part of me says if I was able to get this job I'd be able to get another one--caveat being there aren't too many positions like the one I'm describing really available. My SO currently works for an architecture firm as a designer however she isn't a licensed architect. I feel bad because she only has had her current job for 9 months and likes it.

The other part of this is that I've become resentful of my current job and have know me of sand bagged it the last year. My numbers are good but administratively not so much. I received a bonus this year for sales but no raise. Part of me wonders if I present the offer to them and see if they'd come close to matching it. I doubt that would happen, and if they say no I have resigned myself to Florida. I would need to be sure I'm willing to go before that happens. Although to be honest, I wouldnt be completely surprised if I got let go.
tnr

Post by tnr »

I relocated to FL 4 years ago because of my job. My old job was not working out and I was in danger of being laid off so I jumped before that time. My wife and I discussed it; she wasn't thrilled but understood. Her job (secondary school math teacher) was one we were sure she could find something satisfactory in time. For us, the move has been good, my wife found a great job within 2 years and I am much happier. Our kids adjusted well to the new schools. As others have mentioned, communication and understanding are needed to make a major relocation work.

Orlando is a good place but traffic around Fl's major urban centers can be bad. People are friendly. The airport is good and there are tons of flights everywhere. Summers are hot and humid - find a place with a pool.
scubacat

Post by scubacat »

I agree with the other people who have said that it is a joint decision.

I have lived in Florida and I liked it but, of course that doesn't mean you will. I will say that the cost of living should be (a lot) cheaper in Orlando than NJ and there is no state income tax. If you do end up moving and your wife hasn't found a job, it could be lonely in the beginning if you are travelling so she should try to get involved in something that will enable to meet people and form her own social network. (I say that as someone who moves every few years.)

Another thing to consider is that this move doesn't have to be a life-long commitment. If you think it might be a good opportunity but you are unsure if you will be happy in Florida, you, together with your fiancee could decide to try it for 18 months and if one or both of you are unhappy, start looking for jobs elsewhere. This would allow you enough time to get through the adjustment phase and have a year to decide how you feel.

Just some thoughts as you figure out what to do!

Cathy
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Especially with marriage in the offing, this needs to be a mutual choice. To be blunt, you could put up with annoyances at work while looking for a new more local job. Resentments in a marriage can be very toxic. Expensive, too.

On some of the other factors- I can't imagine Florida is not cheaper than Jersey. On the other hand, you have to find Florida a tolerable place to live.
leonard

Post by leonard »

Why are you required to live in Florida and WAH? Is that where your sales territory would be located?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

leonard wrote:Why are you required to live in Florida and WAH? Is that where your sales territory would be located?
Correct. The territory is Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.

70% of the business is located in central Florida but I would be responsible for coverage of the entire area.

It is for a Fortune 500 CPG company...would prefer not to name it but I'm sure you could figure out.

Post by 123 »

This opportunity strikes me as a great way to begin marriage. You'll both be in new situations and it sounds like there won't be any relatives or other "baggage" of your lives before marriage to interfere with things. Every day will be an adventure for some time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
zag00

Post by zag00 »

actually going through this exact situation with a possible relocation.

Subscribing for further insight/advice.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

adamthesmythe wrote:Especially with marriage in the offing, this needs to be a mutual choice. To be blunt, you could put up with annoyances at work while looking for a new more local job. Resentments in a marriage can be very toxic. Expensive, too.

On some of the other factors- I can't imagine Florida is not cheaper than Jersey. On the other hand, you have to find Florida a tolerable place to live.
Yes I have thought about this. I of course wouldn't drag her along. She would have to make the decision to go as well.

My biggest fear is not a new job, or a new location, or getting married, but it's having all 3 occur at the same time.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Jags4186 wrote:
adamthesmythe wrote:Especially with marriage in the offing, this needs to be a mutual choice. To be blunt, you could put up with annoyances at work while looking for a new more local job. Resentments in a marriage can be very toxic. Expensive, too.

Yes I have thought about this. I of course wouldn't drag her along. She would have to make the decision to go as well.

My biggest fear is not a new job, or a new location, or getting married, but it's having all 3 occur at the same time.
We just did all of this 3 months ago and we're fine (read: happy). CT to MN. My wife was totally on board with the move though, she didn't have a career in CT to consider.

In your spot, NJ to FL with a nice pay raise and much lower COL, we would have made that jump I"m positive.

I found much lower salaries being offered down south. We originally wanted to go south but I wanted a high quality job with a good salary and personally I didn't find it.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

To add on:

I have received a firm offer. The salary is $21,000 more than I am currently receiving--$90,000 base. It was the exact number I asked for in the initial pre-interview process. I plan on attempting to negotiate this up as relocation wasn't part of my decision making process when I gave that number out.

I will receive a company car and gas card--bummer considering I just bought a new car 2 months ago. I currently receive $700/mo car allowance at my current company and they already pay for all of my maintenance and gas. This is a downgrade IMO.

15 days vacation, 6 personal days (sick or whatever), 10 holidays, 3 floating holidays. Bonus is 30% of salary based on company targets, so slightly less than $30,000. I asked for more information regarding the achievability of that number year 1.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Jags4186 wrote:To add on:

You didn't know that relocation was involved or you just didn't consider it? If it was new information then I would definitely use that as leverage to negotiate. If you already knew that you could still try to use it but the best leverage is new information since you already gave them the 90k number at they hit it for you.

I would sell the car you bought. Drive somebody else's car for free, I see that as an upgrade. The thing about a reimbursement is that it could be here today gone tomorrow so you can't bank on it when taking out a car loan whereas if you leave or get let go from the company, you just hand them the keys to their car back.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
mouses

Post by mouses »

Really look at the cost of living. I checked that out before I moved about ten years ago, and then got sandbagged when property taxes there went through the roof, there being no Prop. 13 at the new place.

Also consider the general cultural environment.

Maybe your wife to be could do some job hunting there now just to get an idea of how difficult it would be to find something suitable. What kind of work does she do?

I assume you'd start out renting instead of buying a house, so that would give you some expenses leeway. The new company should pay your moving expenses.

Try negotiating to use your own car.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BW1985 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:To add on:

You didn't know that relocation was involved or you just didn't consider it? If it was new information then I would definitely use that as leverage to negotiate. If you already knew that you could still try to use it but the best leverage is new information since you already gave them the 90k number at they hit it for you.

I would sell the car you bought. Drive somebody else's car for free. I see that as an upgrade.
I did not know that relocating was an option. I initially applied for Regional Manager--Northeast position. They told me after everything was said and done that they decided to offer the northeast position to someone else, but the Southeast position was available and it was mine if I wanted it. I would be reporting to the same person.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Got it. I would definitely use that as new information leverage and counter offer. They may play the cost of living card though.

How is their relocation package?
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

mouses wrote:Really look at the cost of living. I checked that out before I moved about ten years ago, and then got sandbagged when property taxes there went through the roof, there being no Prop. 13 at the new place.

Also consider the general cultural environment.

Maybe your wife to be could do some job hunting there now just to get an idea of how difficult it would be to find something suitable. What kind of work does she do?

I assume you'd start out renting instead of buying a house, so that would give you some expenses leeway. The new company should pay your moving expenses.

Try negotiating to use your own car.
Well by any metric I can find, Orlando is cheaper than Northern New Jersey--about 20% so. My SO works in commercial architecture. She's not a licensed architect but does drafting and such. She currently makes $25/hr + benefits and overtime if she wants it.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BW1985 wrote:Got it. I would definitely use that as new information leverage and counter offer. They may play the cost of living card though.

They already sort of said cost of living blah blah. I'm also dealing with a talent recruiter at the company vs the hiring manager on all of this. The talent recruiter sort of let it slip that the pay range for the job was $80,000-$95,000. I could go back and ask for $100,000 and see if they settle on $95,000. Not too sure. Also, I can't start negotiating until I know I would accept the offer as it's pretty low rent to negotiate and if you get what you ask for end up declining IMO.

As for relocation, I haven't seen the written offer yet, just gotten over the phone information and the package would follow either tonight or tomorrow morning. There is a relocation package + they will pay for me to break my current lease, etc. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get all of the info.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Jags4186 wrote:
BW1985 wrote:Got it. I would definitely use that as new information leverage and counter offer. They may play the cost of living card though.

They already sort of said cost of living blah blah. I'm also dealing with a talent recruiter at the company vs the hiring manager on all of this. The talent recruiter sort of let it slip that the pay range for the job was $80,000-$95,000. I could go back and ask for $100,000 and see if they settle on $95,000. Not too sure. Also, I can't start negotiating until I know I would accept the offer as it's pretty low rent to negotiate and if you get what you ask for end up declining IMO.

As for relocation, I haven't seen the written offer yet, just gotten over the phone information and the package would follow either tonight or tomorrow morning. There is a relocation package + they will pay for me to break my current lease, etc. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get all of the info.
That's typical, talent recruiter (HR) handles direct communication with you but they are getting input and discussing with the hiring manager the whole time.

You could let the talent recruiter know that you have been actively interviewing with other companies and are expecting another offer, that way even if they give you exactly what you ask for again (100k ?), you would still have an 'out' by accepting another offer. You don't have to be 100% all-in before you start negotiating, you never know how high they'll go to get you. I would start negotiating and see where it ends up then you have all the information and can make the most informed decision.
mouses

Post by mouses »

BW1985 wrote:
You could let the talent recruiter know that you have been actively interviewing with other companies and are expecting another offer, that way even if they give you exactly what you ask for again (100k ?), you would still have an 'out' by accepting another offer. You don't have to be 100% all-in before you start negotiating, you never know how high they'll go to get you. I would start negotiating and see where it ends up then you have all the information and can make the most informed decision.
I don't want to re-read all the posts, but is the OP actually interviewing and about to maybe get an offer elsewhere? If not, the above is a good way to wind up with no job or irritating the heck out of this potential employer.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

mouses wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
I don't want to re-read all the posts, but is the OP actually interviewing and about to maybe get an offer elsewhere? If not, the above is a good way to wind up with no job or irritating the heck out of this potential employer.
No I'm not actively interviewing elsewhere. I have been sending out resumes for a while, however.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

New Jersey to Florida. Let me say that again. New Jersey to Florida!
Got to be a better COL there. Oh, plus better weather, no state income tax. Beaches on two coasts.
You are going to be making $90,000 plus all those extras. That puts you way above the norm.
Your fiancé is excited. A huge thing. Even if your fiancé does not work you have plenty of money.
You are 29 years old.
What is not to like. How many times are you going to get an offer like that.
Reminder. You are 29 years old.
From a retired and later life respective, I see something that, if you pass it by, you may regret later. Especially since you noted dissatisfaction with your present job.
You have been looking at this from "what am I losing", when you should be looking at the positives in the move.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Just a couple of thoughts;

1) Is there any chance your wife would want to go back to school and get a degree or advanced degree? If so then having her go to school down their might be a positive thing for her and her career.

2) It sounds like the company is very big and has a lot of locations. You might not be in Florida for more than a few years if you get a promotion or another opportunity within the company comes up.

3) It sounds like you will not be with your current company for the long term anyway. If Florida does not work out then you could find another job up north and move back.

4) In addition to Florida not having an income tax doesn't New Jersey have odd tax laws where they don't allow a deduction for retirement accounts.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Watty wrote: Just a couple of thoughts;
1) Is there any chance your wife would want to go back to school and get a degree or advanced degree? If so then having her go to school down their might be a positive thing for her and her career.
That's a thought, but she hasn't indicated that she has wanted to go back to school.
Watty wrote: 2) It sounds like the company is very big and has a lot of locations. You might not be in Florida for more than a few years if you get a promotion or another opportunity within the company comes up.
Yes and yes. That's true and I've thought of that.
Watty wrote: 3) It sounds like you will not be with your current company for the long term anyway. If Florida does not work out then you could find another job up north and move back.
I am actively looking. The Florida thing really was a curveball I was not expecting.
Watty wrote: 4) In addition to Florida not having an income tax doesn't New Jersey have odd tax laws where they don't allow a deduction for retirement accounts.
Yes, yes it does.
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

123 wrote:This opportunity strikes me as a great way to begin marriage. You'll both be in new situations and it sounds like there won't be any relatives or other "baggage" of your lives before marriage to interfere with things. Every day will be an adventure for some time.
I could not agree more. I got married, moved to a brand new city (my wife had never been there before we showed up in the moving truck), and started a new job all within a week of each other back in 2004. We were in a new place and knew nobody. It did take my wife 6 months to find a job and there were days when she was lonely. However, we've now been here 12 years and love it.

It sounds like you are on the way out of your current job and have what sounds like a great opportunity. If it were me I'd pick Florida over New Jersey 10/10 times just based on taxes and weather alone. If you don't take the job and move, you will always wonder.....Remember, you can always move again.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I say go for it. You are young and free of ties. If not now, when?

The biggest thing to consider would be your fiance. It sounds like the new position would involve a TON of travel and a lot of time away from home. She'll be stuck alone in a strange city much of the time so make sure she is up for it and has productive work to do or ways to keep busy. That may mean compromising and living in the place and the lifestyle that she wants (inner city condo vs house way out in the country...etc.). If she isn't happy and productive, you won't be either.
ram

Post by ram »

Unless your fiancee has strong objection to it-move.
This is from somebody who has moved for jobs to 3 different countries some of which are 10,000 miles apart. These things are best done at a young age.
Ram
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

Only you and fiance can answer/figure out the relocation part. That's a tough one, if unexpected, and you don't know a soul. Not sure I could do it, unless it's Miami, they are paying relocation, and you find excitement in the Florida weather and tax savings (another 10% in your pocket). You're also in a great airport location for easy flights to Europe and MX/Caribbean etc. *I see you said Orlando. Great airport, good location. Pretty cheap. Cost of living may increase your income even more vs NJ.

From the sales perspective... I am in a similar role at a megacorp... sounds like a nice move for you on paper... the world of field-based AE's is a lucrative and fun one.

Salary looks competitive, but the commission side is a bit capped. Usually these are 50-50 plans where the commission upside is higher (well, in fairness, I am in high tech so I don't know CPG comp plans, so this could be par for the industry). I'd guess that at your age you're perhaps not at full field Account Exec level, but then again they are moving you to FL to be a field rep. So, I'd try to negotiate that higher. Usually your first 6-12 mos are training, getting up to speed on new technology and market, burning through old stale opportunities to learn, getting a network in that market, etc, so the commission side could be far less than 100% payout. So are you prepared to make 100k or less for that year? Likewise you could also blow it out, if they set expectations low and you ramp quickly. The rest of the comp and benefits are solid and on-par for the position.

I don't find the location vs home office an issue at all, which some pointed out. Means nothing. I work in Socal and have worked for companies based in SF, TX, New Jersey. Made no difference. If you are a top AE, you will have a job and can find a job anytime. I've been a remote / home-based AE for 5+ years and love it, cannot really imagine going back to a full-time office desk job anytime soon, unless the pay and position were outrageous.

The car thing is bad timing. Sell fiance's car, give her the new one. Or negotiate to the $ per month plan you were on before vs the new car. Explain you just bought one. You can negotiate anything.. doesn't mean they accept, but worth trying.

The risk is obvious, but the upside is high - new exciting state, F500 CPG, field-based AE role, the future is bright if you can knock it out. Your income can double w/i 5 years in these roles, easily, if you do well and get promoted or move firms. I'd go for it (pending the fiance/joint decision), and negotiate as much as you can on top of the offer they made.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

mouses wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Doubt it. If the employer is used to going after top talent then they will not be irritated by hearing that their top candidate may be entertaining other offers. Just confirms for them what they already decided, this guy is good. And if they were irritated by something as simple as that I don't think I'd want to work for them anyways.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

BW1985 wrote:
mouses wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Doubt it. If the employer is used to going after top talent then they will not be irritated by hearing that their top candidate may be entertaining other offers. Just confirms for them what they already decided, this guy is good. And if they were irritated by something as simple as that I don't think I'd want to work for them anyways.
But it's not true...there is no other offer.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I'm iffy also. My roots are in SoCal and it would take me A LOT to pick up and move especially to a place I have no ties. 20% raise would not do it. I currently work from home full time and I often think it is an disadvantage as I am a very personable person. My wife thinks I could've risen through the ranks even quicker had I been in the UK where HQ is.

Marriage part is going to be big. You also have to consider you may be traveling weeks and weeks. I had to be away from my wife for 2 months due to business trips and my father getting a quintuple bypass in our first year of marriage. You may be gone a total of 6 months in your first few year of marriage! Granted, if your wife isn't working she can accompany you but it can get boring really fast. I'm leaning towards keep looking.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
IPer

Post by IPer »

You have stated your fiance is excited about the prospect of going to Florida, perhaps you could
see if there isn't something available for her to do there, like line up a job. Not sure what this
means other than she would potentially encourage a change of scenery and perhaps understands
your current mire with that job.

I don't think you should even consider staying at your current job, however, you might scour the
terrain to see if there isn't yet another better place to work locally. But as another posted stated
he always regretted not moving to Florida in his 20's, perhaps you should explore what that might
mean to you.
Read the Wiki Wiki !
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Just to update. The company came back to me and offered me an option of Florida or Chicago. To my surprise my fiancé seems somewhat onboard for Orlando. She works in architecture and design and it seems like there are a fair amount of jobs in that area in Orlando.

I am going to try and negotiate a better salary, but I think we're moving to Orlando!
joebh

Post by joebh »

Jags4186 wrote:Just to update. The company came back to me and offered me an option of Florida or Chicago. To my surprise my fiancé seems somewhat onboard for Orlando. She works in architecture and design and it seems like there are a fair amount of jobs in that area in Orlando.

I am going to try and negotiate a better salary, but I think we're moving to Orlando!
Congratulations!
Go and don't look back...
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Jags4186 wrote:The other part of this is that I've become resentful of my current job and have know me of sand bagged it the last year.
:confused
Jags4186 wrote: My numbers are good but administratively not so much. I received a bonus this year for sales but no raise. Part of me wonders if I present the offer to them and see if they'd come close to matching it. I doubt that would happen, and if they say no I have resigned myself to Florida. I would need to be sure I'm willing to go before that happens. Although to be honest, I wouldnt be completely surprised if I got let go.
Would a raise really address your dissatisfaction with the current job? Leveraging an offer from a competitor to get a raise has been known to back-fire. I personally would either continue to look for a new job in NJ or take the job in FL. But I agree this needs to be a joint decision with your fiancée.

If you are interested in staying in NJ for the long term, could you take the job in FL and then angle for a transfer when one becomes available in the future in NJ?

I took a job transfer early on in my career and never considered moving back when I was later looking for a new job.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The FL job sounds compelling, unless you have something that ties you to NJ. In numerous previous posts I've cautioned about my atypical experiences with negotiations resulting in offers being withdrawn, but this is a sales job, and that's entirely different. However the COL won't work in your favor if they choose to push back.

Central FL would not be my first choice, in FL or elsewhere - or probably anyone else's either - but overall it still sounds like a good situation for you. It's not like you're necessarily moving there for life.

In looking back I think it would be good for a marriage to start somewhere where neither person knows anybody, assuming that's the case here. But you do have to address the visits back home issue, and agree on a reasonable frequency.

I'm surprised at what are at least implications suggesting you claim to have a competing offer that you don't. I think that's a little over-the-line.
ge1

Post by ge1 »

My wife and I moved more times than I can count, including one just when we got married. To me this all sounds great, that's a good comp in Florida. You are young, go for it!