White Kitchen Cabinets?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbres60

White Kitchen Cabinets?

Post by mbres60 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm

My dd is redoing her kitchen. She is thinking of white kitchen cabinets but a salesperson said they get dirty. I think they all do if you don't clean them. Anyone have white cabinets? How do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks.
Last edited by mbres60 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scone

Re: White Kitchen Cabinets?

Post by scone » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:04 pm

Everything gets dirty in a kitchen, that's just common sense. Some people want to see the dirt, so they can get rid of it. Others want to hide the dirt, thinking they can go longer between cleanings. Apart from that, I prefer white cabinets because they help keep the whole kitchen lighter, so I can see what I'm doing. I don't like dark rooms in general.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:11 pm

Color is not the most important of your choices, materials and construction are.

Having said that- I considered white, settled on a bleached wood instead, and have been very happy that I did so.

corysold

Post by corysold » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm

We have some medium wood cabinets and some black cabinets in our kitchen and both are dirty enough to need cleaning at least once a week. I can't imagine white would be more or less work in this regard.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:23 pm

My wife, against my advice, decided to paint our cabinets from brown to white herself when she retired. She didn't realize what she was getting into until about 2 weeks into the job, but persevered and finished in 6 - 7 weeks. They seriously look great, and we don't find dirt to be an issue with them.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Beauty (and dirt) is in the eyes of the beholder! :wink:

We did a major renovation throughout our home five years ago that included all new kitchen and bathroom(s) higher end cabinetry. Went for off-white color and absolutely love it. :D
Tom D.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:52 pm

White cabinets and trim work for that matter seems to be the latest trend that's for sure, about all I see the newer model homes.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:54 pm

Everything in kitchen gathers dust,,grease etc.
White just shows it quicker :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:09 pm

We have white and you see smudges or splatters immediately, but it is no extra work. I just wipe them when I notice them, which is usually when I'm wiping the countertops anyway. We had maple cabinets before, and I prefer white. It's a cleaner, brighter look.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:29 pm

We painted the cabinets white, got rid of the wallpaper and painted the walls too two years ago. The kitchen is much brighter. Still looks good.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:56 pm

We have white and I like them. 409 and a paper towel is usually all it takes to tidy up.

I repainted mine myself before selling the house last time but I pulled off all the doors and knobs and sprayed them with a commercial sprayer in my garage. I would not want to do it all by brush. If you are seriously thinking of painting your cabinets I would suggest calling around to cabinet shops and see if can find one with its own paint shop that can professionaly spray all your cabinet doors and drawer fronts with a good white enamel. The finish will be far superior to what you can get with a brush. Especially if you have a lot of detail on the doors. You can paint the frames by hand but it is so much easier to spray all the doors in a big batch.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:02 pm

We have had painted white cabinets in our home for 15 years or so. They are nice. They never go out of style. Yes they show dirt but that is fine as the enamel is easy to clean. But the other great thing is when the enamel paint gets a chip we just break out the paint and redo them in a few spots. That takes about a half hour. Then they look like new.

We also have natural light colored wood cabinets in our second home. They are not so good. They show dirt that no longer washes off. They have several spots that looks bad on heavily touched places in our kitchen and master bath. The clear coating has turned dark and cannot be redone without stripping the finish and starting over. Plus the style is not "traditional" or fashionable" any longer. They just look like tan doors that are dirty in spots.

In our house before this one we had "walnut like color" dark stained oak cabinets all over the house. Those were better than the light color as they did not show dirt as much but did wear due to touching. They could be "revised" and cleaned with some type (can't remember the brand) of deep cleaner that softened the finish and removed most of the dirt. But since the cabinets finish was dark this touch up method worked well.

Good Luck.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:03 pm

I like off-white, really brightened up the kitchen after we painted the cabinets.

Van

Post by Van » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:17 pm

We have had white cabinets for 23 years..............they still look like new. No problems.

edge

Post by edge » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:48 pm

I prefer stained. Looks better and the cabinet makers can't get away with cheaper material as easy.

joebh

Post by joebh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:02 pm

I have white cabinets in my vacation home kitchen. We love them.

They are very easy to clean, and fit it very well with our light and airy "beachy" decor. I wouldn't be scared by a salesman if that what you wanted.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Thanks all for your responses. I'll let my dd know.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:33 pm

White cabinets are making a big comeback, at least in our city. Pretty much all new construction homes here at $600k+ now have white cabinets.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:56 pm

My parents have an antique-ish kitchen (with a 1930's or 40's gas stove) and white cabinets. The cabinets have not been painted in years, but if you clean up messes right away, there really is no problem.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm

mbres60 wrote: Anyone have white cabinets? How do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks.
Re did our kitchen with White cabinets, white farmhouse and white subway tile back splash and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Does it get dirty? Yes, everything gets dirty. However at least I can see the dirt.

Post by 123 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm

We did a major remodel on our home before moving in. We went with all white kitchen cabinets and I'm still glad we did. Cleaning is no better or worse then any other color. In a couple of prior residences I've lived in (house as well as condo) the builders had gone with what was trendy at the time of construction/initial sale. One place had "white oak" cabinets and another had some kind of dark wood. Both of those looked very dated after 5 years, I've been in a number of kitchens with some kind of "Annie Oakley" pine cabinets and a variety of other finishes. When we were planning our kitchen remodel we went with white painted wood cabinets (which were not that laminated stuff) because they appeared elegant, neutral, and timeless. We're still happy we did.

White may tend to make your kitchen look cleaner as well as brighter (depends on your window and light situation).

But taste and preferences are very individual matters.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm

I should think using a high-gloss paint with some mildew resistant additive would make cleaning easier.

With white paint on woodwork I foresee little aerosol globs of grease sticking to the surface, building up and yellowing in the corners and hard-to-reach places. But maybe not with a paint made to withstand frequent scrubbing. And maybe not if you go vegetarian or at least don't broil meat.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:48 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
mbres60 wrote: Anyone have white cabinets? How do you like them? Any pros or cons? Thanks.
Re did our kitchen with White cabinets, white farmhouse and white subway tile back splash and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Does it get dirty? Yes, everything gets dirty. However at least I can see the dirt.

Beautiful!!

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:15 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:

Really like your floor (among other things! :wink: ) what did you use? Is it ceramic tile?

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Carefreeap wrote: Really like your floor (among other things! :wink: ) what did you use? Is it ceramic tile?
It's a 6x36 porcelain tile from Lowes called Style Selections Natural Timber Whitewash Glazed Porcelain Indoor/Outdoor Floor Tile. Item #: 591551 Model #: 0591551. Everyone that sees it assumes it's wood and when I say it's tile, they get on the floor and rub the faux cracks/knots.

Retail is $3/sqft (but I got on deal for $1.70/sqft). I did my bathroom before this and bought tile from a local tile shop and spent $7+/sqft and I like this stuff better. The backsplash is a basic subway tile from Home Depot that was like $.22/piece and we did a light gray grout that matches the floor.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591551-89276-05 ... BeanArray=

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:17 am

White cabinetry is classic. However, the white paint used years ago was not the pure stark whites that are the trend today. The whites used were more cream or ivory in tone.

As granite counter tops are already becoming passe, I'd be concerned with spending the big buck$ that kitchen cabinets cost, and being stuck with something that WILL be passe in a TBD future time frame. However, if money is no concern..

My first choice would be natural wood. Then stained wood, or painted (not white).

Some people like chocolate, some like strawberry, some prefer vanilla. They're all good choices.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:25 am

the type/finish of paint is the crucial point. get a sample board of the exact paint treatment and put it in back of your stove for a week being sure to move it periodically with "cooking" hands. then try scrubbing the grease off with your normal cleaner. that will answer concerns about stains; regular cleaning will be required no matter what color of paint is used. with painted cabinets, i'd use convenient knobs & pulls to minimize fingerprints.

i agree with earlier poster's comment about a creamier white being a better choice long-term than an arctic white with bluish undertones.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:26 am

Dirt/grime shows more on white cabinets. Some people see that as a plus because dirt is easy to see and can be cleaned right away. Other people see that as a negative because they don't want to clean their cabinets frequently.

Natural or stained wood is more forgiving for minor scratches and dings so if there are rambunctious young kids in the house painted may not be the best choice.

White cabinets are classic but when everyone is doing them they become trendy. Ordinary people putting in extreme white kitchens (cabinets, counter, backsplash) to me are evidence the white trend is plateauing. White perimeter cabinets with a cherry/walnut island and Carrara marble/quartz is a more classic look but when every remodel looks like that people are going to look back on it in a few years and say "wow, this is straight out of 2015".

rakornacki1

Post by rakornacki1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:50 am

If you are concerned with the latest styles, white cabinets do appear to be making a comeback in new houses. However, it is cyclical. White was 'out' just 5 years ago. If you are unconcerned with style, I would suggest that you choose the color/finish that you like, keep it clean whatever the color and enjoy it.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:58 am

rakornacki1 wrote:If you are concerned with the latest styles, white cabinets do appear to be making a comeback in new houses. However, it is cyclical. White was 'out' just 5 years ago. If you are unconcerned with style, I would suggest that you choose the color/finish that you like, keep it clean whatever the color and enjoy it.
Agreed.

Our last home was built in 1950. It had white cabinets.

Everything old will be new again - and then turn old...

- Ron

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:03 am

abner kravitz wrote:My wife, against my advice, decided to paint our cabinets from brown to white herself when she retired. She didn't realize what she was getting into until about 2 weeks into the job, but persevered and finished in 6 - 7 weeks. They seriously look great, and we don't find dirt to be an issue with them.
Any tips she could share? We are going to paint our oak cabinets white as soon as we finish all the trim work. It's really made a huge difference so far updating the house.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:38 am

I recommend Maria Killam's blog which discusses kitchens and in particular finishes. Wood tends to age much faster, oak for the 80s and espresso for the 90s/2000s. We did white cabinets with white quartz and reclaimed wood counters/ island and a marble subway tile backsplash. It really brightened up the kitchen and I love how it came out. (Also love the kitchen posted above). I'm confused by the comments on getting dirty since I haven't noticed that (and I'm not the best cleaner).

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:00 am

stan1 wrote:Dirt/grime shows more on white cabinets. Some people see that as a plus because dirt is easy to see and can be cleaned right away. Other people see that as a negative because they don't want to clean their cabinets frequently.

Natural or stained wood is more forgiving for minor scratches and dings so if there are rambunctious young kids in the house painted may not be the best choice.

White cabinets are classic but when everyone is doing them they become trendy. Ordinary people putting in extreme white kitchens (cabinets, counter, backsplash) to me are evidence the white trend is plateauing. White perimeter cabinets with a cherry/walnut island and Carrara marble/quartz is a more classic look but when every remodel looks like that people are going to look back on it in a few years and say "wow, this is straight out of 2015".
If you're updating now though you need to either just choose the style you like or go with today's trend. You can't really predict the future of what will be on trend 5-10 years from now. Personally my style, as a lot of others style, is today's trend. Hence why it's the trend. What will be the next style and how long it will take to get there, who knows.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:17 am

Leemiller wrote: I'm confused by the comments on getting dirty since I haven't noticed that (and I'm not the best cleaner).
So its going to depend on cooking style and lifestyle which vary by individual. If you are doing high temp oil based wok cooking, have kids helping in the kitchen, or have a dog that slobbers over everything your kitchen might get more dirt, grease, and grime than if you make pasta, casseroles, and salad for 1 or 2 adults. White cabinets don't cause more dirt of course but grey/brown dirt, tomato sauce, and grease blend in with darker brown stained wood and contrast with white paint (unless of course you splatter bechamel sauce which will blend on a white cabinet and show up on dark wood!)

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 am

We had dark stained cabinets when we bought our current house and I painted them white. We love the white cabinets because it makes the kitchen seem much bigger and it is definitely much brighter. It does show grime more especially around the food prep and stove areas but I like it because it makes it easier to clean. It was actually quite disgusting cleaning the original stained cabinets from the thick layers of grease and grime just so I could paint them.

After several years of use, the paint has worn thin in a few places of high use allowing the dark wood color to show up but I recently saw a show where after painting, they applied a couple coats of polyurethane to make the paint much more durable. So next winter, I plan to touch up the paint and try it out to see how it works. I would do it this winter but my indoor honey-do list is longer than than what winter will be.

Slick8503

Post by Slick8503 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:37 am

My wife and I remodeled an old farm house recently and chose an off white color with a glaze finish. We have never had bright white cabinets but these don't seem to show dirt bad at all. We love them. Thought it may be a compromise for you vs going to brown wood. They came from Home Depot during a sale. Very happy with the construction(heavy plywood sides) and the soft close doors and drawers. Ran about 9k iirc.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:03 am

Another thing to consider is that it's easier to paint over previously treated wood than it is to re-stain it. A deglosser will cut through the polyurethane then you can paint over the stain as opposed to sanding all the way through it.

We're also considering grey FWIW.

dkturner

Post by dkturner » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:54 am

dbCooperAir wrote:White cabinets and trim work for that matter seems to be the latest trend that's for sure, about all I see the newer model homes.
We had our kitchen redone last year, replacing our white cabinets with maple cabinets. The guys who installed the new cabinets said they were glad to see someone actually buying "wooden" cabinets rather than the now nearly universal white, or off white, cabinets they usually install.

Another interesting color thing arose the last time we had our SUV serviced. One of the salesman was walking by when we were getting ready to drive away in our dark maroon vehicle. He commented that it was a pleasure to se someone who actually has a vehicle that isn't black, gray or white.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:00 am

stan1 wrote: Ordinary people putting in extreme white kitchens (cabinets, counter, backsplash) to me are evidence the white trend is plateauing. White perimeter cabinets with a cherry/walnut island and Carrara marble/quartz is a more classic look but when every remodel looks like that people are going to look back on it in a few years and say "wow, this is straight out of 2015".
Yes, and yes. Once a concept or idea is executed by the 'Great Unwashed Masses' it has officially reached plateau, and it will soon be usurped by a new idea.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:55 pm

mbres60 wrote:My dd is redoing her kitchen. She is thinking of white kitchen cabinets but a salesperson said they get dirty. I think they all do if you don't clean them. Anyone have white cabinets? How do you like them? Any pros or cons?
We haven't had any problems but white cabinets aren't all the same and color certainly isn't the only important consideration. Ours are high gloss and if anything ends up on them it wipes off easily. My wife, an interior designer, is finishing up her parents with a kitchen remodel and they also went with high gloss white cabinets. For our small kitchen white really helps to make it brighter and to feel less cramped.
Mingus wrote:As granite counter tops are already becoming passe, I'd be concerned with spending the big buck$ that kitchen cabinets cost, and being stuck with something that WILL be passe in a TBD future time frame.
It's very difficult to pull off anything that won't look dated down the road. Even what some consider "classic" will look dated. Again, it's not just color scheme.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:30 pm

takeshi wrote:
mbres60 wrote:
Mingus wrote:As granite counter tops are already becoming passe, I'd be concerned with spending the big buck$ that kitchen cabinets cost, and being stuck with something that WILL be passe in a TBD future time frame.
It's very difficult to pull off anything that won't look dated down the road. Even what some consider "classic" will look dated. Again, it's not just color scheme.
Exactly. Updating means bringing it to today's style/trend. You can try to guess what the future style/trend will be but you may be way off and risk having something that nobody likes if/when you choose to put your property on the market. Or you could not update and hope that style comes back on trend I suppose.

As for granite, it's still on trend. Quartz may be trendier but it also significantly more expensive and the price point of many homes just doesn't support it. Butcher block/reclaimed wood also trendier but with drawbacks- not as durable/stain resistant.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:18 pm

We have custom made kitchen cabinets done in Sherwin Williams Antique White. Love 'em.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:19 pm

kingsnake wrote:We have custom made kitchen cabinets done in Sherwin Williams Antique White. Love 'em.
That is a cream color

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:36 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Carefreeap wrote: Really like your floor (among other things! :wink: ) what did you use? Is it ceramic tile?
It's a 6x36 porcelain tile from Lowes called Style Selections Natural Timber Whitewash Glazed Porcelain Indoor/Outdoor Floor Tile. Item #: 591551 Model #: 0591551. Everyone that sees it assumes it's wood and when I say it's tile, they get on the floor and rub the faux cracks/knots.

Retail is $3/sqft (but I got on deal for $1.70/sqft). I did my bathroom before this and bought tile from a local tile shop and spent $7+/sqft and I like this stuff better. The backsplash is a basic subway tile from Home Depot that was like $.22/piece and we did a light gray grout that matches the floor.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_591551-89276-05 ... BeanArray=
Thanks! I did see that in my local Lowe's circular a few months back and really liked it.

I want to do a "lite" re-do of our mountain cabin kitchen. I like our white washed cabinets (circa 1994) but my FIL's 3rd wife put in peach tile countertop and a white tile floor. They are both coming to the end of their useful life. The gray granite looking Silestone is a perfect match to the exterior boulders but I wondered about flooring. Your choice would go perfectly but I wonder about making the room too "icy" cold. Blessed/cursed without much wall space. May wind up doing an accent wall in a sage green...I think I'm headed down a slippery slope! :oops:

woof755

Post by woof755 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:08 pm

About to put our house on the market. Our realtor was relieved to see that we have white cabinets.
Seems the market is eschewing the brown cabinet.
Who knew?
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:25 pm

BW1985 wrote:Any tips she could share? We are going to paint our oak cabinets white as soon as we finish all the trim work. It's really made a huge difference so far updating the house.
My wife ultimately used the Rustoleum kitchen cabinet kit and was very happy with it. This was after a couple of false starts with some other types of paint (all well known) that produced bad results. Other than that, make sure you organize all the hardware pieces (in numbered baggies or something like that) and hopefully you have plenty of room (garage or basement) for the prep/painting/drying.

It was a risky project because we were going to put the house on the market as soon as she was done, but it worked out, as the house was only on the market for 2 weeks (although putting it on the market was delayed a couple of weeks because of the time the job took).

Good luck!

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:47 pm

abner kravitz wrote:
BW1985 wrote:Any tips she could share? We are going to paint our oak cabinets white as soon as we finish all the trim work. It's really made a huge difference so far updating the house.
My wife ultimately used the Rustoleum kitchen cabinet kit and was very happy with it. This was after a couple of false starts with some other types of paint (all well known) that produced bad results. Other than that, make sure you organize all the hardware pieces (in numbered baggies or something like that) and hopefully you have plenty of room (garage or basement) for the prep/painting/drying.

It was a risky project because we were going to put the house on the market as soon as she was done, but it worked out, as the house was only on the market for 2 weeks (although putting it on the market was delayed a couple of weeks because of the time the job took).

Good luck!
Glad it worked out for you. I've examined the Rustoleum kit, it comes with a deglosser and a bond coat. Must be those products that gives their kits such good results vs. paint and primer alone.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:57 pm

BW1985 wrote:
abner kravitz wrote:My wife, against my advice, decided to paint our cabinets from brown to white herself when she retired. She didn't realize what she was getting into until about 2 weeks into the job, but persevered and finished in 6 - 7 weeks. They seriously look great, and we don't find dirt to be an issue with them.
Any tips she could share? We are going to paint our oak cabinets white as soon as we finish all the trim work. It's really made a huge difference so far updating the house.
I'm curious how this will turn out. We have oak which also means it has country style detailing. Painting it white would work better for us on a more modern style door, but I'd love to see some photos.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:18 pm

angelescrest wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
I'm curious how this will turn out. We have oak which also means it has country style detailing. Painting it white would work better for us on a more modern style door, but I'd love to see some photos.
Sure, are you interested in pics of the trim or cabinets?

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:42 pm

BW1985 wrote:
angelescrest wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Sure, are you interested in pics of the trim or cabinets?
I'd love to see both, and before/after when it's finished. Thanks