Best Tips for Packing & Moving?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LuigiLikesPizza

Best Tips for Packing & Moving?

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm getting ready to move to another place about 10 miles away, not far, but moving is always disruptive and time consuming.

I've done pretty well with finding solutions for packing small items (clear, vinyl bags) - but what about my clothes on hangers?

I am thinking of those velcro straps that are used to organize computer cables? maybe I could strap a bunch of hangers together and then fold the bunch of clothes over once and slide them into a large plastic bag to transport to the new place where I could literally just hang them up in the new closet?

Anyone try this or similar? any tips to make this as painless as possible, are appreciated.

Thanks, Luigi

texasdiver

Re: Best Tips for Packing & Moving?

Post by texasdiver » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:25 pm

I don't know your circumstances but our last move was about 15 miles across town. I knew we would be closing on both houses on the same day so scheduling would be tight. What I did was the following.

For the month before the move I went through the house top to bottom and packed up everything that wasn't immediately needed before and after the move and hauled it bit by bit to a large storage locker close to the new house. Also getting rid of lots of stuff in the process. I have a minivan that allows me to remove the rear seats and open up a large cargo area so I could take a large load of stuff every evening.

By the time moving day came along 3/4 of our stuff by volume was actually in storage next to our new location. So it was not that difficult to rent a Penske truck for the day and haul the remaining stuff to our new location. We didn't have that fancy of clothes so I think I just folded over all the clothes on hangers and laid them into large boxes.

For a longer more complicated move my advice is to buy all identical sized moving boxes (or boxes that are multiples of the same basic size). This makes it infinitely easier to stack all the boxes for storage and transit without wasted space or having things tip over.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Get boxes of the same size. Either buy them, get them for free off of Craigslist, or go to the local liquor store and ask them for free boxes (IMHO those boxes are not big enough). Remember, the bigger the box, the fewer the the trips you must make. Balance that with your ability to carry the boxes.

You want the boxes to be the same size because they will stack a lot easier in the moving truck making them more stable as you drive around.

Get rope to anchor everything down inside the moving truck. Get blankets to cover any wood, glass, or other items that might get scratched or dinged. Items WILL shift as the truck moves.

Stack items high in the moving truck to ensure you have plenty of space for everything.

Pack early and often. Pack one room at a time, and label the boxes. Pack one room per night if time allows. If you need to use tools to take anything apart, keep those tools easily accessible when you unload as you'll need them to put things back together. If you take things apart and have screws, bolts, washers, nuts, etc., put them in a ziploc bag with the tools or tape the bag to the item they belong to.

You will have to take the drawers out of your dresser. Fill any space in the drawers with small items.

Just keep the clothes on the hangers and put them into the moving truck where ever they fit.

Use rubber bands or simply wrap cords around themselves. Use the sticky strip of a post it note to label cords.

Book your moving truck at least a day in advance. It isn't uncommon for companies to run out of trucks (especially on the weekend).

As you pack, use this as a spring cleaning opportunity. If there is something that doesn't seem worth the effort to move, donate it to the Salvation Army. You won't have to move it again.

Remember, you owe your friends a meal, however much booze they wish to drink in a night, and a night of laughs as well as helping them move when they need to.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:51 pm

We made 15+ trips to the donation center during the three months we were planning to move out. When moving day came we took clothes out of the half full closet on the hangars and laid them down in the car (with the seats folded down) and drove them 7 miles to the new house. Walked them up and hung them in the closets (unfortunately 1 half full closet in old house became 2 full closets in new house but that's what comes with downsizing).

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:03 am

We just helped move my daughter and her family to a new house. The U Haul medium sized boxes worked well. They were not very expensive and can probably be resold afterwards. If you get 20 they are $1.16 each according to their on line ad.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 am

Last time we moved about 10 miles we still had a station wagon. For the hanging clothes we just put the back seats down, spread a clean sheet on the floor, and laid the clothes on top of each other. This should be OK if you have a SUV with fold down seats or pickup with enclosed bed. This isn't long enough for the clothes to wrinkle if you hang them up right away at the new house. It might take a couple trips if you have a lot of clothes, but it's only 10 miles per trip.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:04 am

I move hanging clothes by placing groups of items on hangers inside large "contractor" heavy duty garbage bags. If you tie hangers together & place clothing in so the hangers are at the open end of bag, you can tape bag closed & then reuse bag after the move by just cutting off the end with the tape. I take 2-3 large bagged bundles and lay them flat on a rigid surface (e.g. folding banquet table is what I use). Bungee cord the entire pack together; it will fit in flat on top of stacked boxes. It's way more efficient than using the hanging boxes U Haul sells which take up too much room.

Liquor boxes are great for transporting glassware & other breakables.

Buy or rent a hand truck (cart) for your move; if you rent a truck with a ramp, you can stack 3 large boxes on the cart & wheel them all the way into the truck in a single trip.

Try to clean the new place (& install light bulbs/tissue [BTW, when did people start taking their light bulbs & TP with them when they move???EEK] ) in advance. If not, be sure those supplies are in an "Open Me First" box.

I swear by keeping a record of what's in each box & numbering them (I've moved a lot) so you don't have to unpack everything right away at the new place just to find what you need for work the next day.

I agree with tips from other posters--especially decluttering. Your new home can be organized and more spacious just by eliminating excess items. It's as easy to pack them for a charity as it is to pack them to take with you.

Good Luck

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:40 am

Our last move,
We downsized,
We donated a lot of everything.
It made the transition a smooth one :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

heikejohn1

Post by heikejohn1 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:15 am

Best moving tip was from my sister.
Put a big number on "ALL" sides of your boxes. Keep a journal with the contents of each #box.
So, when all your boxes are stacked nicely, and you can only see the number, look in your journal and you know exactly what is inside!!!

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:48 am

When we moved ourselves, we just went to the local U-haul place and bought a bunch of their medium sized boxes. They seemed the best balance of durability and weight when loaded. After we moved, I ended up selling them all to someone else who was moving for a little under half of what I paid for them so I feel I got a good deal.

For clothes, we bought a box at U-haul specifically designed for this. It has a place for the clothes to hang and is sized so that you could put the contents of the standard reach in closet in one box packed tightly. The clothes never left their hangers. We bought one of those boxes for each closet. They were more pricey but I got 50% back when I resold them. They also make special boxed for packing dishes which saves on the bubble wrap or wads of newspaper route.

On moving day, we just rented a U-haul truck and I already owned a dolly so it was just a matter of loading them onto the dolly and wheeling them into the truck and stacking them like cord wood. (Spend time labeling them as you pack them so unpacking goes smoother.) We ended up making one trip with all the boxes and some furniture and coming back for a second trip for the rest of the furniture.

damnilocano

Post by damnilocano » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:43 am

I moved about a year and a half ago and moved about 10 miles. My family and I stayed with my dad until we found our new house so everything was in his garage.

My tips:
1. Boxes-you can find them on local facebook groups. I think I've read the U-Haul stores have free or discounted used boxes. My friend moved and told me boxes from Starbucks were awesome. Be aware of getting used boxes... you don't know how clean that person is. I bought some boxes from lowes and they weren't that sturdy. Be prepared to carry it from the bottom if you overload it.
2. Tape-don't skimp here. I used tape from the $1 store and had to put 3 strips and had to really rub it to make it stick.
3. I hired some day laborers and if you can afford it, get 3 or 4! I'd say about 90% of my stuff moved without any harm. I'd suggest having family or friends help because I've read about items getting stolen.
4. I borrowed a buddy's box truck with no ramp... get a truck with a ramp!
5. Everything should be in a container, if you can. I had some items not boxed and that's just a wasted trip if you're trying to get it done quickly.

Best tip I've seen: sort donations before you move to your new place.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Great point on used boxes. I bug spray my liquor store finds & leave them out in the heat of the garage inside plastic. I've given in to bug phobia & chosen not to buy used boxes from unknown homes.

Post by 2015 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am

Best tip from the simplicity books: use any move to "rightsize" your life. Go through all of the "stuff" you've accumulated over the years and get rid of anything you haven't used in _________ [fill in the amount of time you like]. Don't move things just for the sake of moving them--reduce and you'll have less to pack, move, and unpack.

As I plan to move in less than five years, best thing I did last year was to read a couple of simplicity books and actually go through everything in my house, clothes and all. This way, when I move I know I'll only be taking the things I want.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:16 pm

We will be downsizing soon & this is a learning thread for me.

Thanks
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:51 pm

I rented some moving boxes before and ordered some of these things:

http://www.staples.com/Wardrobe-Box-Wit ... AheB8P8HAQ

The reason behind it was the coats were really heavy all together and folding some wool coats would be hard to do. I packed the bottom of these boxes heavily, too. Garbage bags were for stuff that I didn't worry about like t-shirts. The nicer stuff was worth trying to not get it mangled.