which one is the best antivirus internet security

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
looking

which one is the best antivirus internet security

Post by looking »

hi all
which one is the best antivirus internet security , i just bought a new laptop and looking for best antivirus

thanks
samsdad

Re: which one is the best antivirus internet security

Post by samsdad »

I've had good success with ESET NOD32. http://www.eset.com/us/products/nod32-antivirus/ That said, I don't bother with antivirus software much anymore. I don't go to areas of the internet that I have any concern about. Moreover, I have had a slight suspicion in the past that some folks in the antivirus crowd and the virus-making crowd are related.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Kapersky, Avast, Norton, all have top ratings
Below is a lab that tests anti virus performance:
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

However, no one product really does it all. At a minimum you should have a good anti virus scanner, plus Malwarebytes for regular (additional) scanning. The fact that you don't go to "dangerous" sites really doesn't offer protection. More and more, valid websites get compromised and you become the victim. Better safe than sorry.

I also use Malwarebytes anti exploit which protects against zero day exploits. May be overkill...

As for the urban legend that anti virus companies create viruses -- this are good reasons they don't and haven't (at least the large reputable ones)
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001013.htm
http://blog.emsisoft.com/2011/05/24/how ... companies/

Apparently a major exception is China
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1505228 ... they-kill/
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

From a discussion a few months ago:

viewtopic.php?t=169130
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

I only use free apps, and have never had a problem. The paid stuff has not been proven to be markedly superior.

Panda Free Antivirus ( cloud based )
Windows Defender ( built-in to Windows 7)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware,
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Periodically I run Windows Defender Offline ( free Microsoft product )
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (antivirus).

Hi Looking,

Did your laptop come with Windows 10 installed? It already has a built-in antivirus: Get Started with Windows 10
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Windows Defender(Win 10) works fine. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
OAG

Post by OAG »

Toons wrote:Windows Defender(Win 10) works fine. :happy
Ditto & +1 (Windows Defender in Window 10 seems to be updated several times a day lately).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Toons

Post by Toons »

OAG wrote:
Toons wrote:Windows Defender(Win 10) works fine. :happy
Ditto & +1 (Windows Defender in Window 10 seems to be updated several times a day lately).
:sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

A financial message board is not the best place to ask this question- I would Google for your answer instead, as it's a common question and there are many articles from independent publications on the topic- just take a consensus. Kaspersky and Eset are among the best. Windows Defender is not going to give you the best protection.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

ArmchairArchitect wrote:A financial message board is not the best place to ask this question- I would Google for your answer instead, as it's a common question and there are many articles from independent publications on the topic- just take a consensus. Kaspersky and Eset are among the best. Windows Defender is not going to give you the best protection.

The problem is multi-faceted. First, finding truly unbiased advice on the internet can be in a word, difficult. Second, what's rated good today can be not quite so good tomorrow(and vice versa). The threat is constantly evolving and security program developers are always playing catchup. Just like with mutual funds, there's no guarantee that paying more ( or paying anything ) is guaranteed to give you a better outcome. A lot of times your paying for bells and whistles that aren't necessary and don't make you any more secure. Finally, there's a lot more to safe computing than just relying on an anti-virus, which many inexperienced users take as the endpoint. A good firewall( properly configured), keeping software updated with security patches, avoiding clickbait and email phishing, mobile device security, and last but hardly least regular data backups, are at least as important as which anti-virus one chooses. Asking for advice here isn't a bad place to start and of course there are more specialized sites to pursue the matter further if one chooses.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Been a confirmed AVG fan for a number of years. But lately the program has bloated up.

Ditched it, now running Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. The computer boot-up time was cut in half. So far the two programs seem to be doing the job.