Macbook replacement battery (do you get what you pay for?)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
oneleaf

Macbook replacement battery (do you get what you pay for?)

Post by oneleaf » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:05 pm

I have an old Macbook (2008) that has a completely dead battery. Buying a replacement battery from Apple costs $120. Buying a really popular third party brand costs $60. Then there are plenty of other ones on Amazon for around $20, some of which have really good reviews.

Do you generally get what you pay for? I refuse to pay $120, so if that is the only good option, I will just use this Macbook plugged in. It is too old of a computer to be worth paying such a high price for a battery. The $60 one I may consider and the $20 would be a no-brainer, IF I can expect good results from it.

Anyone have experience with replacing laptop batteries? Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"? I hesitate to buy Apple accessories because they often ARE hideously overpriced. The iPad covers, for instance... My $60 cover fell apart after a year, but a $12 3rd party one I bought is not only 1/5 the price, but is better and has lasted longer. I do not want to pay Apple premium unless it is really warranted.

MrTom

Re: Macbook replacement battery (do you get what you pay for?)

Post by MrTom » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:15 pm

My experience with my 2008 macbook pro has been to get a new aftermarket battery on eBay roughly every two years for as cheap as possible. Haven't had any problems. I once splurged on a pricier "name brand" after market battery and didn't find it to be any better than the cheap ones.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:35 pm

MrTom wrote:My experience with my 2008 macbook pro has been to get a new aftermarket battery on eBay roughly every two years for as cheap as possible. Haven't had any problems. I once splurged on a pricier "name brand" after market battery and didn't find it to be any better than the cheap ones.
Frankly, two years would be great. The original only lasted 4 years before it no longer held a good charge so if an aftermarket gets half that at 1/6 the price, I would still be ahead.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:08 am

Odds are that you'd be fine with the cheap one, but laptop batteries are potentially hazardous. Many top companies have had issues with fires. I'd be a bit wary of cheap Chinese imports, but the odds are still greatly in your favor. However the consequences of a failure could cause massive property damage, severe injury, or death, so a 99.99+% chance of a good outcome might still be a bad bet.

Google "laptop battery fire"

Article about why these batteries are tricky for manufacturers
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economis ... xplains-19

A recall on 3rd party MacBook batteries that best buy sold:
http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-macbook-pr ... 00-1318515

Afty

Post by Afty » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:41 am

Laptop batteries are one of those things where you really should pay for a genuine OEM replacement because of the safety risks that random_walker_77 mentioned above.

OnFire

Post by OnFire » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:34 am

When I brought my MacBook in to the Apple store, the Genius told me (after some cordial conversation) to go to Macworld.com and buy the appropriate battery there. I think it was priced around $80-90 including shipping. Granted, it's not that much of a discount, but obviously, he has no horse in the race, and I would trust a third party website like that FAR more than an anonymous eBay company shipping in cheap Chinese Li-Ion batteries. My battery, after 7 years, is down to I think 50%, so in the next few months, I'm going to snag one. I recently got a new charger through eBay, and RAM through Crucial. Still cheaper than a new one. And I like having DVD/CD drives. I'd really prefer if they had Blu-Ray's so I could watch my movie collection, but they don't even offer ANY built-in optical drives anymore.

Just went to that website and it didn't sell Macbook stuff. Oops. I guess I would try Amazon.com. A quick look over there shows the battery for around $38 and highly rated. I would trust Amazon MUCh more than eBay. I would think the vetting process to become an Amazon seller is pretty tough.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:57 am

I think he probably said or meant macsales.com, not macworld.com. The former is a reputable site, Other World Computing, that sells memory and disk upgrades etc. The latter is MacWorld magazine's site. I've bought several memory upgrade kits from macsales.com over the years.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

nps

Post by nps » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:29 am

I bought one on Amazon to save some money. Worked ok for a while then swelled up like a balloon.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:46 am

I'd take the $60 or $120 and use it towards a newish MacBook. Is 2008 using the PowerPC chip?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

segfault

Post by segfault » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:21 pm

A 2008 would probably have an Intel Core 2 Duo chip.

That computer is nearing the end of its life expectancy and and I agree I wouldn't spend a lot on a new battery.

The good news is that the newer machines seem to have batteries with better longevity. My 2011 MacBook Air is almost five years old and the battery still has 80% of its original capacity.

Average Investor

Post by Average Investor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:39 pm

You definitely get what you pay for here. Apple batteries are excellent, the third party ones are usually junk and do not last.

Be aware that I've witnessed several third party batteries damage the logic boards on customer machines preventing the unit from ever using a battery again (damaged the charging circuit).

Personally I would never put a third party battery in one of my own machines unless OEM was no longer available. If you are not planning to keep the machine for awhile, the third party one may make more economic sense. If you decide to go third party, just be aware of the potential risks and know you are getting exactly what you pay for.

I fix Macs for a living.
Tomorrow never knows.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Average Investor wrote:You definitely get what you pay for here. Apple batteries are excellent, the third party ones are usually junk and do not last.

Be aware that I've witnessed several third party batteries damage the logic boards on customer machines preventing the unit from ever using a battery again (damaged the charging circuit).

Personally I would never put a third party battery in one of my own machines unless OEM was no longer available. If you are not planning to keep the machine for awhile, the third party one may make more economic sense. If you decide to go third party, just be aware of the potential risks and know you are getting exactly what you pay for.

I fix Macs for a living.
the MBP I am using to write this is an early 2006 Intel Core Duo 1.83. it still has the battery that replaced the original battery; i believe there was some kinda recall on the batteries back then & the original was replaced for free. I mostly use it plugged in.
i sure would like to keep on using this thing; its as reliable as any computer i have ever owned; maybe put another logic board it and then maybe it could be upgraded with the OS (now using 10.6.8).
this MBP was my first ever Apple product..I love it...now an Apple fan for life.
Don

daveatca

Look forward, not back

Post by daveatca » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:20 pm

2008 Macbook
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Ghz
Disk - 320 GB, 5400 rpm
Memory - 4 GB
Display - 13.3-inch, 1280 by 800
Weight - 2.7 kg

2016 Macbook Pro - $1500
CPU - 2.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
Disk - 256 GB, SSD
Memory - 8 GB
Display - 13-inch, 2560 by 1600
Weight - 1.6 kg

I would not spend 1¢ on a 6-year old machine.

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I know someone who almost burned down their home with a cheap aftermarket laptop battery. It simply isn't worth the risk. Lithium Ion batteries are more dangerous than most think and should be treated with respect.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:50 pm

livesoft wrote:I'd take the $60 or $120 and use it towards a newish MacBook. Is 2008 using the PowerPC chip?
It is an Intel chip. I am not in the market for a new laptop, only interested in salvaging this one. I am only using it to run some Linux software and it serves the job. I would not even be thinking about replacing the battery if it did not have the magnet power cord design, that gets pulled off so easily.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:52 pm

amd2135 wrote:I know someone who almost burned down their home with a cheap aftermarket laptop battery. It simply isn't worth the risk. Lithium Ion batteries are more dangerous than most think and should be treated with respect.
The more I think about it, the more I think I will just forgo the battery altogether. I really only need it plugged in, and I just need to be careful because of the magnet design being so easy to come off.

tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:35 pm

I bought a battery from a highly rated eBay dealer that was described as new, original Apple and thoroughly tested. It never approached its stated capacity. Following the dealer’s care instructions, I performed a series of partial discharges and recharges. The best I got was 86% of capacity, before I decided to return the battery. While my emails pre-sale were met with quick responses, those following purchase went unanswered. It was not an experience I’d look to repeat.

jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:58 pm

I would not recommend getting aftermarket batteries for a laptop because even with OEM batteries there can be a risk as printed on the battery and power adapter.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:32 pm

First choice - I would put my money toward a new laptop, as another poster said.

Second choice - I have found this company to be very knowledgable and ethical on Mac products. I have bought memory, hard drives, and some odds and ends but never a battery. Give them a call. I would not buy a cheapie but that's just my opinion. Too many downside risks.

http://www.macsales.com Other World Computing

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:54 pm

Fletch wrote:First choice - I would put my money toward a new laptop, as another poster said.

Second choice - I have found this company to be very knowledgable and ethical on Mac products. I have bought memory, hard drives, and some odds and ends but never a battery. Give them a call. I would not buy a cheapie but that's just my opinion. Too many downside risks.

http://www.macsales.com Other World Computing

... Fletch
I have a 2009 MBPro, and bought a battery and SSD from OWC. Easy to replace yourself (or find someone whose hands don't shake) and my 2009 purrs like a space kitten (no sound).
Last edited by TimeRunner on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...There're just so many summers, and just so many springs." -Don Henley "What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:31 pm

I too have a 2008 Macbook.

I replaced my battery a couple of years ago because my old one would not last but afew mins.

I don't recall what the new replacement one cost but am sure I thought it was high.

But for me - it is worth it as I travel alot and want the convenience of having the battery available.

supertreat

Post by supertreat » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:34 pm

I just replaced the battery in my older macbook. Anker makes good products and I can vouch for their quality. Would check them out.
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)