Rain, what rain?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
john94549

Rain, what rain?

Post by john94549 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:49 pm

The January miracle turned into the January fizzle. Only folks in California would understand.

roflwaffle

Re: Rain, what rain?

Post by roflwaffle » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:36 pm

It really sucks, especially in socal. We're 2.5" inches below our average for this time of year, and 4.5" below our average for el nino years.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2016/01/l ... relief.php

http://www.mdpi.com/climate/climate-02- ... 4-1024.png

To be fair, even with a record El Nino year we would still be stuck in a severe drought. I think we would need something like 5+ record el nino years to really make a dent. We still have February and March, but if the recent trend we've seen (high pressure areas sitting higher up and pushing storm systems inland/north) persists, socal will be in a world of hurt.

runner26

Post by runner26 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:39 pm

Central CA coast not doing well at all. It seems that every rain event we have had this year has fallen short of the forecast that was made a few days out. Sometimes way short of the forecast.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:45 pm

john94549 wrote:The January miracle turned into the January fizzle. Only folks in California would understand.
I am not in California and I don't understand.

However, my pet peeve is that Californians have a tacky habit of introducing themselves as being from "sunny California." Perhaps, some rain will make them more discreet.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:46 pm

I had heard that the snowpack was quite good this year.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

Soaker

Post by Soaker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:32 pm

At Tahoe we've had a lot of small storms but no big drought busters. Cold weather from Thanksgiving to the middle of January produced a nice snowpack, but water content is only somewhat above average (on the order of 110%-120%) and that seems to be generally the case in Northern and Central California.

California precipitation report, updated daily

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:35 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
john94549 wrote:The January miracle turned into the January fizzle. Only folks in California would understand.

However, my pet peeve is that Californians have a tacky habit of introducing themselves as being from "sunny California." Perhaps, some rain will make them more discreet.

Victoria
This post gave me a smile after a long week....thanks Victoria. (Recently they introduce themselves being from "sunny California" - talk about how great their weather is ....and then further into the conversation complain about the drought..... go figure).

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:48 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
This post gave me a smile after a long week....thanks Victoria. (Recently they introduce themselves being from "sunny California" - talk about how great their weather is ....and then further into the conversation complain about the drought..... go figure).
I live in California and I always tell people, "No, it's always foggy, cold, and windy here." LA/SoCal is not representative of all of California.

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:50 pm

When the drought hit Oklahoma everyone moved to California. Maybe they need to go back.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:50 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I live in California and I always tell people, "No, it's always foggy, cold, and windy here." LA/SoCal is not representative of all of California.
So when someone says "Sunny California" this translates to LA/SoCal? (As opposed to San Francisco where albeit the last few years there tends to be plenty of rain) Maybe I finally get ....

RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:25 pm

We live approx 35 miles east of SF and the rain here has been wonderful. Every other day or so we've been getting about 0.2 to 0.5 inch - so far for most of Jan. Gets the grass and plants soaked, runs off into the creeks, and hasn't been causing too much damage (except in Pacifica).

RTR

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:33 pm

For the drought it doesn't really matter how much it rains south of the Tehachapis. What really matters is snow in the Sierra. We are currently at 111% of "normal" water content in the Sierra snowpack for this date. So the drought isn't over, but we are making progress. Shasta Lake has gone up more than 50 feet in the last month.
De gustibus non est disputandum

Sunflower

Post by Sunflower » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Well, in Northern California there are some people with threatened homes that would disagree with you. One has been razed already.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:07 pm

VictoriaF wrote:However, my pet peeve is that Californians have a tacky habit of introducing themselves as being from "sunny California." Perhaps, some rain will make them more discreet.
We don't have to say anything. People from around the world watch the Rose Parade on January 1 and notice how the people in the parade and the viewers are dressed--even those who camped out all night. I've heard that from non-Californians.

I started planning on getting some rain barrels to catch the runoff from the roof. But after I calculated the average rain we have, I concluded I'd rarely have a full barrel. That "big storm" we had 2 weeks ago left my neighborhood with 1/2 inch of rain. :confused
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:09 pm

Ask and you shall receive:
Fast-moving storm could dump heavy rain on Southern California
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

Joe in Sunny California :D
Best Wishes, | Joe

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:36 pm

A lot of weather is local. There was that big blizzard hitting the east coast and NY City. In NY state 250 miles north there is none or only a dusting of snow on the ground, and some rivers have stretches of no ice. I have not seen yet snowmobiles this year.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:42 pm

The wife was up in Marin today, and it was actually raining. Here, in Lafayette, we got a good five minutes of light drizzle. Would I move back to Kansas? Close, no cigar.

All our plants and trees could die, we might be left a vast wasteland, California is still home.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (general rant, not a consumer issue). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.