WSJ subscription, any deals?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
squirm

WSJ subscription, any deals?

Post by squirm »

After reading about the paywall barrier for the WSJ, it reminded me I have to renew my subscription. I can't find any legit deals for a year. Anyone know where to get a legitimate year long deal?
CWhea1775

Re: WSJ subscription, any deals?

Post by CWhea1775 »

I have renewed my subscription twice now by purchase on ebay. This is for physical paper delivery plus on line access. I think these secondary sellers are using airline miles, but in any event they have worked fine for me both times. Last one was 18 months for $129. The only issue I have had is that WSJ will not let you consolidate accounts, so each purchase will require a separate registration and account name for online access. As always, buy only from trusted sellers on ebay.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Yes. If you have unused airlines miles, use Mags for Miles.

Been playing the game for a long, long time.

Lev

Post by 123 »

WSJ is offering an on-line deal for combined digital and print. Six months for $99, 12 months for $197.94. It's a January special. The price goes up after the initial subscription period so you will need to cancel if you don't want it continued at the higher rate ($98.97 quarterly thereafter).

That's about the best cash deal I've seen lately. If you have miles or hotel points you might be able to get it for less through those. But with the direct price you don't have to worry about the subscription being screwed-up by a middleman.

If you're renewing maybe you can start a new subscription for different household member, maybe your dog, and share the copy that comes. Easiest to do that with a different email address.
Last edited by 123 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
tedclu

Post by tedclu »

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/61026

Follow the instructions. I have gotten it free for years.
jmcgxx

Post by jmcgxx »

qui

Post by qui »

Can you call them and ask for something? From my experience, WSJ is very aggressive with customer retention. I had a subscription for like 6 months in the early 00s from some mileage program and they're STILL sending me "come back to us" letters in the mail.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

Anyone know if you can use miles or the like to get the online journal? I only see options for the print version.
SteelCityMD

Post by SteelCityMD »

Leemiller wrote:Anyone know if you can use miles or the like to get the online journal? I only see options for the print version.

I'm also interested, if anyone has a good deal!
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

I found one on Amazon for 39 weeks at $60. A reseller, and the only thing is you can not contact the WSJ for paper suspensions and missing papers.
I have to contact my local carrier.
Dan999
Dan999
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

I received the online version via magsformiles. I am not renewing though.

I had some extra Spirit Airlines miles I was going to donate to Bogleheads to get WSJ, but they must have expired :oops:
kramer

Post by kramer »

This has been an eye opening thread for me, I gave up on the WSJ digital edition a long time ago when they raised their prices so much. But the prices presented here are so much more reasonable.

The only "catch" that I noticed for the digital edition is that when you get a WSJ digital subscription through some of these methods you seem to be ineligible for WSJ+ which looks pretty meaningless (http://www.wsjplus.com/faqs )

Does the digital edition have all the articles contained in the paper edition? (I live overseas so the digital edition is my only option)
Toons

Post by Toons »

Library :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
hudson

Post by hudson »

Thanks jmcgxx!
I subscribed to 12 weeks for $12. I'm required to call and cancel if I don't want to continue at $28.99 month...automatically charged to my credit card.
The WSJ didn't put the end date anywhere that I could find, so I calculated 12 weeks using a web calculator. I set up a reminder on Google Calendar.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

kramer wrote:This has been an eye opening thread for me, I gave up on the WSJ digital edition a long time ago when they raised their prices so much. But the prices presented here are so much more reasonable.

The only "catch" that I noticed for the digital edition is that when you get a WSJ digital subscription through some of these methods you seem to be ineligible for WSJ+ which looks pretty meaningless (http://www.wsjplus.com/faqs )

Does the digital edition have all the articles contained in the paper edition? (I live overseas so the digital edition is my only option)
The digital edition should have every article in the printed edition plus many other articles not printed...
testing321

Presidents' Day Sale $1 for three months

Post by testing321 »

Presidents' Day Sale $1 for three months. New customers only, so switch to your spouse's name.
https://store.wsj.com/US/US/5698074070