Gmail Spam Explosion

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LifeIsGood

Gmail Spam Explosion

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 pm

I've had a Gmail account for about 4 years and really like it because I rarely got any messages in my spam folder. About 2 weeks ago, the onslaught started and now I'm getting 25-30 per week. Unless something has changed at Google, I suspect that my email address must have been discovered by some spamsters. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

fposte

Re: Gmail Spam Explosion

Post by fposte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Have you checked to make sure your spam settings are good? Usually gmail is pretty sharp about sending those directly to spam.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm

I get 25-30 per day in my Gmail spamfolder. And I have to look through it because the Gmail spam filter is pretty aggressive. It has learned that Vanguard emails are not spam, but that took some training with the "Not Spam" button. But I still have a few valid emails per week that end up in spam.

The flipside is that I rarely see spam in my Inbox. Maybe one per quarter.

I think it's inevitable that an email address in long-term use will eventually start receiving lots of spam.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:22 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:I've had a Gmail account for about 4 years and really like it because I rarely got any messages in my spam folder. About 2 weeks ago, the onslaught started and now I'm getting 25-30 per week. Unless something has changed at Google, I suspect that my email address must have been discovered by some spamsters. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
I'd guess that you've been discovered or your address sold. My spam volume hasn't changed in years, perhaps 15 - 25 per day, all in the spam folder. 80% are from Dutch, Chinese, or similar foreign language origins that I couldn't read if I wanted to.

What has changed, just in the last month or so is that most spam on a given day has flashing colored emoticons in the title. Not like that's a giveaway :D (don't know how to do flashing emoticon)

gmail does a good job at filtering.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Yes I have noticed the same thing recently.

I did apply to term life insurance a few months ago so was wondering if it was term4sale, but not sure I gave them my address.

Like heartwood, almost each one has a blinking emoticon in the subject!
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:57 pm

finite_difference wrote: Like heartwood, almost each one has a blinking emoticon in the subject!
I've noticed this too. Right now in my spam folder 4/10 have blinking stars and 1/10 has blinking hearts.

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:11 pm

I rarely,rarely,,,even look at my Gmail Spam folder,,,,
Let me go take a look :D

47 spam messages,,not out of the ordinary
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:14 pm

Toons wrote:I rarely,rarely,,,even look at my Gmail Spam folder,,,,

If I hadn't looked, I would have missed out on important correspondence from He.Eissa Mohammed Al Suwaidi, Managing Director of the Abu Dhabi Investment Council. That one had no blinking symbols, so I could easily have missed it.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:36 pm

fposte wrote:Have you checked to make sure your spam settings are good? Usually gmail is pretty sharp about sending those directly to spam.
This might be a dumb question but where is that setting?
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:47 pm

I have a gmail account that has never ever been used, and it gets a lot of spam.

I think spam generators just use programs to generate random strings of characters that are good candidates for gmail addresses. Any 6 characters followed by two numbers, for example. The one I have never used has two common words jammed together so I'm not surprised.

As long as it's free to spam, there's nothing you can do and I would not assume your address was leaked, stolen, hacked, whatever.

Unless your email address is lhh34l53l4kjoiu0972jknkj_lkajsdfajsdl@gmail.com. :)

fposte

Post by fposte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:21 pm

rec7 wrote:
fposte wrote:Have you checked to make sure your spam settings are good? Usually gmail is pretty sharp about sending those directly to spam.
This might be a dumb question but where is that setting?
If you click the gear in the right-hand corner and go down the menu to "Settings," you'll get a window with multiple tabs, including one for "Filters and Blocked Addresses." It should list stuff you've been categorizing as spam.

It's also worth checking to make sure there is an actual spam folder and it's getting stuff, too; could be for some reason it was all going into the OP's inbox instead.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Toons wrote:I rarely,rarely,,,even look at my Gmail Spam folder,,,,

I guess I never looked... at least until this thread and I learned that I had a spam folder. Glancing through it, I guess I get about 6 to 8 spam emails a day.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 pm

jhfenton wrote:I get 25-30 per day in my Gmail spamfolder. And I have to look through it because the Gmail spam filter is pretty aggressive. It has learned that Vanguard emails are not spam, but that took some training with the "Not Spam" button. But I still have a few valid emails per week that end up in spam.
Make sure the Vanguard email address on the Vanguard emails is in your contact list and they will no longer go to your spam folder. Do this for all legitimate email you want to receive to your inbox. This is how Gmail will know it is not spam without you having to endlessly click the Not Spam button. I think Gmail does a great job filtering spam.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:18 pm

How would you think that "something happened at Google"? As long as the spam lands in your spam folder, they are doing their job. They can't control what email gets sent to you and you definitely don't want them automatically deleting stuff that may be important. I haven't used another email provider in years for personal email, but at the time Gmail was by far superior with their spam mail algorithms compared to the competition and I see no reason to believe that they are not still top tier.
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:25 pm

Bob B wrote:
jhfenton wrote:I get 25-30 per day in my Gmail spamfolder. And I have to look through it because the Gmail spam filter is pretty aggressive. It has learned that Vanguard emails are not spam, but that took some training with the "Not Spam" button. But I still have a few valid emails per week that end up in spam.
Make sure the Vanguard email address on the Vanguard emails is in your contact list and they will no longer go to your spam folder. Do this for all legitimate email you want to receive to your inbox. This is how Gmail will know it is not spam without you having to endlessly click the Not Spam button. I think Gmail does a great job filtering spam.
They are. But Gmail would complain that the sender could not be verified, so would "spam" them. It's no big deal. Gmail has seemed to learn my preferences, plus I put in an affirmative filter to label them "Vanguard."

joebh

Post by joebh » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:38 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:I've had a Gmail account for about 4 years and really like it because I rarely got any messages in my spam folder. About 2 weeks ago, the onslaught started and now I'm getting 25-30 per week. Unless something has changed at Google, I suspect that my email address must have been discovered by some spamsters. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
It only happened to me once, years ago.
And I learned the site where it had originated, due to the way I tend to use emails when registering on sites.

Gmail ignores everything between the + sign and the .com in an email address like First.Last+more@Gmail.com. Here, "+more+ is ignored and the email addressed to it is still delivered to First.Last@Gmail.com.

Thus, when I register on a site as First.Last+sitename@Gmail.com, I can tell which registration helped generate the spam. And I can block it as well.

Keep marking spam mail as Spam in your Gmail account and it will gradually get filtered even more effectively than by default.

patriciamgr2

Post by patriciamgr2 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:45 pm

I've recently received a significant increase in "What's App" spam. I've yet to identify where I signed up to trigger all this. Because it all comes from different sources, blocking the sender isn't useful. Is using "filter messages like this" & listing What's App" as a subject the best way to address this variety of spam?

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:36 pm

LifeIsGood wrote: Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Yes, exactly. I have a Gmail account that I only use for my 'business'. The only spam I got for years was from domain registrars, as I have a domain that uses that email address, and once in a while some 'freelance web developer'.
About three weeks ago, I started receiving about 10 spams a day-about 150 every time I checked the account- all with the blinky icons in the subject field. Lonely Russian ladies, C1@l15, gift cards about to expire, you name it. Google marks them all as spam, but I still peruse them to make sure nothing important is in there. I have several other Gmail addresses; the only one that gets much spam is one I use for posting to open forums, and I made the mistake of giving it to some Malware page I was investigating. It immediately started getting the usual suspects.

stormswami

Post by stormswami » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:20 am

Interesting to hear everyone's experiences. Count me in too. I've started receiving exponentially more spam over the past month, whereas before I would only receive maybe one spam message a day (have had a gmail account essentially since the beginning).

HoopDiddyDiddy

Post by HoopDiddyDiddy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:35 am

I received very little spam until the day after I registered online at State Farm.
I needed to check something and didn't feel like waiting for my agent so I registered, found what I needed, and the next day the avalanche began. 236 in the past day.
I can be a tad obsessive about keeping my inboxes empty so this upsets me. I don't know why it bothers me as it goes to my spam folder and I never have to see it unless I go empty it, but it makes me cranky anyway.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:15 pm

You are not alone. Lately I wake up to around 10 new spam emails in my Gmail account spam folder where before there was perhaps 1 or 2 and many of them have flashing symbols and they continue to come in all day long. I've had my Gmail account for maybe 10 years now and this is unusual. In the past Google has been pretty good about choking off these spam blasts pretty quickly but this time either they're stymied or they've surrendered and moved on to bigger things. I still hope to see these new flashing subjects and the morons who send them banished from my Gmail account.

FiveK

Post by FiveK » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:11 am

joebh wrote:Gmail ignores everything between the + sign and the .com in an email address like First.Last+more@Gmail.com. Here, "+more+ is ignored and the email addressed to it is still delivered to First.Last@Gmail.com.

Thus, when I register on a site as First.Last+sitename@Gmail.com, I can tell which registration helped generate the spam. And I can block it as well.
Ha! Neat trick - thanks for sharing.

jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:15 am

I get this message when I open the Gmail spam folder-
Hooray, no spam here!
I'm starting to feel left out. :D