3 Years to Obsolescence - SONY Blu-Ray YouTube App

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Boglenaut

3 Years to Obsolescence - SONY Blu-Ray YouTube App

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:27 pm

My 3 year old Blu-Ray player started informing me recently it no longer supports YouTube.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answ ... hl=en&rd=1

So, buy a device with a YouTube logo so you can stream YouTube, and less than 3 years later it is fine to stop supporting it? I understand technology changes and I do not expect this to work until 2525, but golly, 3 years? I bought it new November 23, 2012.

(This is actionable because people may be thinking of buying used devices with such an app, or want to do long term planning of what to buy. I wonder if this could lead to a class action lawsuit?)

jane1

Re: 3 Years to Obsolescence - SONY Blu-Ray YouTube App

Post by jane1 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:39 am

Same thing happened to us with our Sony BDP. I think our YouTube app stopped being supported some time in 2015. May have been 3 years. Everything else works fine. After that we decided to buy a Chromecast, mainly for YouTube.

jalbert

Post by jalbert » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:08 am

Are you sure Sony is at fault, and not Google?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:23 am

This is apparently due to google updating YouTube api. From Google:
Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015
As we upgrade the YouTube Data API to bring more features, we’ll begin shutting down the old version on April 20, 2015. This will result in the current YouTube app not working on certain device models from 2012 and older.

http://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-app-to ... s-devices/

Article about how consumers are screwed
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... e-smart-tv

"In the face of this sort of systemic indifference from all the companies involved, the best option is clearly to spend as little as possible on anything with built-in processing power. Don’t buy a smart TV; buy a dumb one, and add a cheap set-top box or HDMI stick"

So there is a lesson for consumers here. You would think it would just be a matter of a software update, but I guess not.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:45 am

In most cases where embedded software stops working the OEM could update it, often fairly easily, but they do not see a percentage in doing so. I try to buy products from companies that do update for a while - Google, Apple, MS - and avoid their second order OeMs.

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:39 am

So, this is partly Google's fault, for changing the API, and partly the OEMs fault for refusing to update to new versions.

Honestly, 3 years isn't that far away from the norm for Google to support old things. It's a little shorter than average, but only a little.

Specifically for Google services, I can strongly recommend the Chromecast. Chromecast is a Google product, so it will probably get updates for longer than a third-party device will (though Google is not shy about telling its customers "tough luck" after awhile). But, Chromecast is also both super cool, and quite cheap at $35.

Chromecast is mostly super-cool because it's very easy to set up, and is controlled from your phone or tablet, which has a much nicer interface than a remote control. It will play everything Google, plus Netflix and a moderate collection of other stuff. If you have visitors over, they can use their accounts on their phone, which makes it easy for them to DJ/show you their favorite video/whatever, and it takes zero set up on an Android device and not-much setup on an iphone. (If you don't have either an Android device or an iOS device, then Chromecast is not for you)

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:12 am

Isn't the interface on these terrible? I got my Blue ray and TV in 2010 and the apps were pretty much unusable because it took forever to type and search.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 am

It is not just blu-ray players that don't age well.

Many electronic devices like tablets have batteries that are not readily replaceable even though a rechargeable battery will often only last a few years.

I suspect that some of the electronic gadgets that they are building in cars will also quickly become obsolete and stop working so I have no interest in getting these since I try to keep my cars for at least ten years.

osho

Post by osho » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:17 pm

shelanman wrote: Specifically for Google services, I can strongly recommend the Chromecast.
I second that. My Samsung Blu-Ray stopped supporting YouTube App after 5 years and I bought a Chromecast for $30. Another cool thing about Chromecast is you can cast a tab from Chrome browser, so no HDMI cable required if you want to watch your laptop screen on TV. If you don't own an Android or iOS device then Amazon Fire TV stick with Remote might be an option worth considering.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:30 pm

jalbert wrote:Are you sure Sony is at fault, and not Google?
I blame both.

If a company is going to release a consumer product, they should have protections in place to ensure it will work for a reasonable amount of time.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Get a chromecast :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Boglenaut wrote:
jalbert wrote:Are you sure Sony is at fault, and not Google?
I blame both.

If a company is going to release a consumer product, they should have protections in place to ensure it will work for a reasonable amount of time.
It's Sony's fault! You bought a product from Sony. You have no contract with YouTube or Google nor bought anything from them. Any assurances or guarantees that the app should work come from Sony, but I don't think they made any such promises, and only used the logo for the sales and marketing and it was working as promised when you bought it. Worse, if they had decent lawyers, here are disclaimers for support all over fine print in the terms and conditions. I've been burned by Sony and other devices that quickly became obsolete, and while a class action lawsuit may compel them to do something, chances are it will take years to advance a lawsuit and develop the app, so it will be quite useless for most to recive an update 3 years from now. By then, you may be watching 4K and 8k videos.

Sony used to be a top brand in my electronics choices, but now it's fallen to the bottom.

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:14 am

inbox788 wrote:

It's Sony's fault! You bought a product from Sony. You have no contract with YouTube or Google nor bought anything from them. Any assurances or guarantees that the app should work come from Sony, but I don't think they made any such promises, and only used the logo for the sales and marketing and it was working as promised when you bought it. Worse, if they had decent lawyers, here are disclaimers for support all over fine print in the terms and conditions. I've been burned by Sony and other devices that quickly became obsolete, and while a class action lawsuit may compel them to do something, chances are it will take years to advance a lawsuit and develop the app, so it will be quite useless for most to recive an update 3 years from now. By then, you may be watching 4K and 8k videos.

Sony used to be a top brand in my electronics choices, but now it's fallen to the bottom.
I agree.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Do not buy a so-called smart tv, that is a waste of money because you end up with clunky and hard to use interfaces that are not updated and are much harder to use and slower than the alternative, which is to buy a "dumb" tv and connect a separate device for streaming, such as a Chromebox or a Chromecast, that way you will always have the most updated and best software and apps. Smart consumers do not fall for clever advertising about tvs being "smart."

telemark

Post by telemark » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 pm

I have a third-generation iPod Touch that made a very nice Sonos controller for years, until Sonos upgraded their software and stopped supporting it. Who is to blame? Apple for aggressively changing iOS, or Sonos for following along, or me for expecting it to still work? Buy the cheapest thing that does what you need now, and expect to replace it in a few years.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:31 pm

My daughters bought me a new garage TV, a "TCL" brand that has Roku built in. The remote has four hot-buttons that go directly to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and rdio. Right from the start the rdio button is useless, as rdio (a music streaming company) has been acquired by Pandora. Perhaps Pandora will make deal with TCL to use the button, or some other streaming service might make a deal.

I have one of the oldest Roku boxes, and until recently it has streamed away flawlessly. Not sure what is wrong, but it might be a simple matter to get it fired up again. No pressure as my Sony Blu-ray DVD player streams as well.

So, even though the garage TV has Roku built in, I don't anticipate any problems as Roku boxes can be kept in service for long periods of time. Hopefully TCL and Roku have update paths in mind, updates that won't strand the Roku technology anytime soon.

Though, technology being what it is, who knows how we will be watching video or listening to music in the next 3 years-5 years? We might just don our entertainment helmet, speak our desire (watch video, listen to music) and be carried away in 3D Ultra HD with appropriate music/soundtracks delivered uncompressed with crystal clarity.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:21 am

Boglenaut wrote:So, buy a device with a YouTube logo so you can stream YouTube, and less than 3 years later it is fine to stop supporting it? I understand technology changes and I do not expect this to work until 2525, but golly, 3 years? I bought it new November 23, 2012.
It happens. My Panasonic Viera GT30's (from ~2011) Youtube app is also no longer supported. The manufacturer can't guarantee indefinite support from Youtube/Google or whoever the content provider may be. Don't rely on these apps as a primary decision factor and expect equipment to lose support over the years. I shop for my TV's with the intent to use them only as monitors regardless of whatever may or may not be advertised. If there are other features they're just gravy and they may be quickly outdated. As long as I can connect newer tech to my monitor then it's doing its job.
barnaclebob wrote:Isn't the interface on these terrible?
They're not all identical. My Viera ZT60 is about 4 years newer and has a very different and much more responsive Youtube interface that I don't find terrible and is still supported. YMMV. It's partially subjective. You may find all such interfaces terrible for all I know.
Boglenaut wrote:If a company is going to release a consumer product, they should have protections in place to ensure it will work for a reasonable amount of time.
A TV, Bluray, etc still works even if a particular app is no longer supported.
Boglenaut wrote:I wonder if this could lead to a class action lawsuit?
Of course it could. But does getting a coupon for a few bucks off from a new product from the manufacturer while padding the pockets of lawyers really help you much?

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:36 am

Protections *cant* be in place to prevent this from happening, as Google can change their apu at any time.

The only thing Sony could do is create a new app using the new api, and release it as new firmware which means unexpected and unplannable costs on a product they aren't even selling anymore

They can't predict this in advance.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 pm

I have a three month old Sony Blu-Ray player with a Screen Mirroring feature that no longer works (since I upgraded to Windows 10). This is Microsoft's fault.

It was the latest model but only cost $48 new.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:57 pm

If you want long term support on a Bluray player get a PS4 or an Xbox 1. If you want medium-term support get a PS3.

They will also support all the apps you want with regular updates.

Yeah it sucks but I am more annoyed at cell phones becoming laggy/losing out on security updates as time marches on. You just bought the wrong Bluray player.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

rixer

Post by rixer » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:14 am

Does anybody use one of those android tv boxes? I see them on Amazon and even at a Home Show here in town. They claim they receive everything that's streamed and there's no charge except for the one time purchase of the box, which is from $40-$130 depending on brand. There is also a brouser on them.
It sounds like the old pirate boxes for cable that were sold on the internet and strictly illegal. They claim these are legal though it still doesn't sound right.
If it is legal to use and actually works, it might be worth looking in to. I'm curious.

For example, this is just one of them.
http://www.amazon.com/ANDROID-THEATER-- ... d+unlocked

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:37 am

rixer wrote:Does anybody use one of those android tv boxes? I see them on Amazon and even at a Home Show here in town. They claim they receive everything that's streamed and there's no charge except for the one time purchase of the box, which is from $40-$130 depending on brand. There is also a brouser on them.
It sounds like the old pirate boxes for cable that were sold on the internet and strictly illegal. They claim these are legal though it still doesn't sound right.
If it is legal to use and actually works, it might be worth looking in to. I'm curious.

For example, this is just one of them.
http://www.amazon.com/ANDROID-THEATER-- ... d+unlocked
It looks like the Android boxes are just larger Roku. Get an actual Roku. There isn't going to be a product for sale that has "unlocked" access to HBOGo/Now for example without you subscribing and paying monthly.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:37 am

On the other hand, the $200 playstation 3 I bought 4 years ago still works well for Blurays, works BETTER for Youtube, etc...

I recommend the Roku box, Apple TV, or FireTV. For $60 or so, Roku is probably the best bet for most.