Smoke detector battery install fail

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bfwolf

Smoke detector battery install fail

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 am

About an hour ago my smoke/carbon monoxide detector started doing a low battery chirp (it's always in the middle of the night!). I took the old battery out and put a new battery in. The new battery has an expiration date of 2019. However, now the detector is making a triple chirp, which I'm guessing means the battery is not installed correctly as it makes the same chirp when I put the old battery back in. I've looked and I'm lining up plus and minus correctly (battery won't go in other way). What gives? Obviously this is extremely annoying and I'm sure it's woken my condo building neighbors.

Bfwolf

Re: Smoke detector battery install fail

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:28 am

My smoke detector is a BRK SC6120B.

Cigarman

Post by Cigarman » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:35 am

From a web search

Why do I hear the low battery "chirp" if the battery is new?

Any of these situations can cause a low battery chirp:
Does your smoke alarm have a separate silence button? If so, the button may have been pressed by mistake. The alarm will now "chirp" once a minute for up to 15 minutes.
Are you sure it's the smoke alarm? Other devices have similar low battery chirps or warning tones. The source of a single chirp is often hard to pinpoint. Be sure to check wall outlets that may have other devices like carbon monoxides alarms in use.
Even "new" batteries may not be fresh. If batteries are stored, especially in cold areas like refrigerators, they lose their charge more quickly. Always check the freshness date on the package when buying new batteries.

JustMe

Post by JustMe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 am

As far as i know smoke detectors can last indefinitely, but most (all?) carbon monoxide or combination smoke/CO detectors have an expiration date after which the entire detector needs to be replaced. I believe 5-7 years is most common, but I've recently seen 10 year expirations on new ones. Your detector may have an expiration date printed on it, or a phone number to contact the manufacturer, but if if has reached that age range then you'll likely need to replace it.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:57 am

Ugh, I hope I don't need to replace it.

I just went and bought a fresh pack of 9V batteries. Made no difference.

What I find odd is that it was just making the single chirp until I took the old battery out. That's when it started making the triple chirp (3 chirps in extremely rapid succession) which I can't get to go away. You would think if the CO detector being old was the problem it would've made the triple chirp from the start.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:34 am

Dust or dirt buildup can result in sensor interference on some types of smoke detectors, leading to a chirp. Consider using vacuum or air to clean sensor. From a quick Google search:

Cover or Sensor Chamber is Covered by Dust or Dirt.
Alarms may look clean, but dust can accumulate inside the cover, especially in newly built homes. Gently vacuum smoke alarms regularly using the soft brush attachment. Be sure electricians install the provided dust cover to keep alarm clean during construction.
Insects Covered or Clogged the Sensor Chamber.
Clean the smoke alarm with the soft brush attachment on your vacuum.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:46 am

Page 27 of user manual
Troubleshooting Guide:
"Once a minute, the alarm sounds 3
quick “chirps”, and the green light
flashes quickly three times.?

https://www.crawfordelectricsupply.com/ ... 716472.pdf

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 am

Toons wrote:Page 27 of user manual
Troubleshooting Guide:

Ugh, this sounds like it. Great, unit needs to be replaced. Well, the condo maintenance guy is coming over in 25 minutes. Maybe he has a replacement. If not, Target opens in 55 minutes...

wvmtnbkr

Post by wvmtnbkr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:22 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Troubleshooting Guide:

Ugh, this sounds like it. Great, unit needs to be replaced. Well, the condo maintenance guy is coming over in 25 minutes. Maybe he has a replacement. If not, Target opens in 55 minutes...
Similar situation happened to me with the house we purchased last year. When we purchased it from the owner, who also built the home 10 years ago, he told us to plan on replacing the smoke detectors (Kidde-brand hard-wired into the house) because they would hit their 10-yr lifespan this year. Like clockwork, in June all the detectors began chirping and battery replacements had no effect. I was able to buy a box (8 count) from Amazon to replace the detectors for ~$85. My labor took about 1.5hrs to replace all 8.

Stephen

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:36 am

JustMe wrote:As far as i know smoke detectors can last indefinitely, but most (all?) carbon monoxide or combination smoke/CO detectors have an expiration date after which the entire detector needs to be replaced. I believe 5-7 years is most common, but I've recently seen 10 year expirations on new ones. Your detector may have an expiration date printed on it, or a phone number to contact the manufacturer, but if if has reached that age range then you'll likely need to replace it.
Smoke detectors are good for about 10 years, CO about 5-7 years.

Many CO detectors have a built in timer, when you first apply power it will start a 7 year timer. After 7 years it will start to chirp away.

ETA, if you do end up replacing your detectors get the ones where you can replace the battery without having to pull the detector down, I replaced mine this past year with that style, its worth the extra $5 or whatever it was.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Troubleshooting Guide:

Bfwolf,

Please note that they tend to all fail at approximately the same time. So, if you have one expired, you probably have more coming. It might be cheaper to buy multiple smoke detector from Costco and / or Amazon.

KlangFool

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 am

So after 3.5 hours, I figured out how to unplug the unit from the hardwired electricity. :oops: That stopped the incessant beeping.

The maintenance guy then came over. We replaced the battery again and plugged it back in. No beeping.

I suspect that taking the original old battery out triggered some sort of malfunction and that's why the triple beeping didn't
start until that moment. Disconnecting the hardwire and the battery and then replugging back in allowed the unit to reset.

I definitely feel like an idiot but am glad this is over! I'll check with my landlords on the age of the smoke alarm so I can get a sense for when it will actually have to be replaced.

linakin

Post by linakin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:56 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the beeping comes back in a few days. Similar thing happened to me recently. Thought it was a old battery, so I changed the battery and the beeps went away. A few days later, the beeps came back. You're probably better off just changing the entire unit.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:59 am

Bfwolf wrote:What I find odd is that it was just making the single chirp until I took the old battery out. That's when it started making the triple chirp (3 chirps in extremely rapid succession) which I can't get to go away.
That is fascinating. With no source of power it triple chirps indefinitely?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:10 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Bfwolf wrote:What I find odd is that it was just making the single chirp until I took the old battery out. That's when it started making the triple chirp (3 chirps in extremely rapid succession) which I can't get to go away.
What I know about electronics can fit in a thimble, but I thought "CAPACITOR, it must have a capacitor," so I looked it up.
Although your batteries are removed, smoke detectors still contained something called a capacitor. It's a little thing that stores a small electrical charge over time. It's used in smoke detectors as yet another added safety feature to insure your smoke detector lasts as long as it possibly can in the case of an emergency.

If they're bothering you still while in the garage, press and hold the test button for a little bit with the batteries out until they stop squealing.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:50 am

BolderBoy wrote:
It's hardwired into the wall. It wasn't until I unplugged it AND took the battery out that it stopped chirping.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:16 pm

If it's hardwired into the wall, then it may be linked to other smoke detectors. My house is like that. If one goes off, they all go off.

The problem is that if one is running low battery, all the smoke detectors will chirp until I get the one with the low battery. (The low one flashes a light differently and chirps more). I got to the point of just changing all the batteries simultaneously once a year (when the clocks change).

So maybe your problem is that a DIFFERENT smoke detector is low on battery. And that one is in a spot you hadn't noticed one before.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:20 pm

As far as i know smoke detectors can last indefinitely
It's recommended to swap them out after ten years...dirt, smoke, and dust build up can limit the sensors.

Change battery once a year, with the time change (spring or fall) so its easy to remember.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Bfwolf wrote:About an hour ago my smoke/carbon monoxide detector started doing a low battery chirp (it's always in the middle of the night!). I took the old battery out and put a new battery in. The new battery has an expiration date of 2019. However, now the detector is making a triple chirp, which I'm guessing means the battery is not installed correctly as it makes the same chirp when I put the old battery back in. I've looked and I'm lining up plus and minus correctly (battery won't go in other way). What gives? Obviously this is extremely annoying and I'm sure it's woken my condo building neighbors.

pretty sure C02 detectors need to be replaced every X years. Have heard 2 and have read 5.

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:46 pm

I have two old CO detectors bought at the same time. (7 years ago)
One started chirping at 3 AM and I replaced it because it was end of life chirps. The other old went off 2 days later.
So I got another new one.
Lesson learned replace both of them.
Note there is a silence button that will stop the end of life chirping for a few days, so you can have a few days to get new ones.
Dan999