What online Email do you use

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chonp3

What online Email do you use

Post by chonp3 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 pm

After using a hotmail account for over 10 years, I've become frustrated with the new Outlook Preview upgrade. It links all of MSNs products through the email inbox, which means the inbox takes 5-10 seconds just to load. Prior to this it was instantaneous. I've checked out GMail, and it's somewhat similar in load time.

Is there a simple, no frills, online email client that I would be able to link my old account through?

munemaker

Re: What online Email do you use

Post by munemaker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:59 pm

Google stuff rocks!

Go with Gmail and then integrate the rest of Google's offerings.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:02 pm

Gmail here. In fact, I can't think of a friend who uses something other than gmail.

I haven't experienced the slow load times you mention.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:02 pm

I had reservations about letting Google have access to my Emails, but I finally went to Gmail and so far so good.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 pm

follow up question here -

Do gmail and Google docs make a tablet a substitute for a PC if all I want is web, email, documents and spreadsheet? Can google docs be transferred to an offline PC Open Office suite via memory stick? Does a tablet have a USB port for a memory stick?

Forgive my ignorance and thx for any info.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:18 pm

Christine_NM wrote:follow up question here -

Do gmail and Google docs make a tablet a substitute for a PC if all I want is web, email, documents and spreadsheet? Can google docs be transferred to an offline PC Open Office suite via memory stick? Does a tablet have a USB port for a memory stick?

I think you should just get a ChromeBook for a couple of hundred dollars. The simplicity is a thing of joy. My wife has an ASUS C300M.

It has USB ports, but you just use Google Drive to share documents.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:19 pm

Christine_NM wrote:follow up question here -

You want a Chromebook, not an Android tablet for docs and spreadsheets. Chromebooks do have USB ports.

An Android tablet is fine for web and email. No USB ports on Android tablets.

LearningtheRopes

Post by LearningtheRopes » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:20 pm

cheese_breath wrote:I had reservations about letting Google have access to my Emails
This is precisely why I have stayed with Yahoo for my email. It's fine.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:23 pm

There are workarounds to use a usb memory stick with both iPads and android tablets, some android tablets come with full size usb ports. . Windows tablets/ surface tablets have usb ports.
If you add a keyboard you could do a lot on a tablet.
http://www.presscave.com/top-best-table ... -usb-port/

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 pm

I use gmail. I don't think I can avoid Google knowing about me - searches, maps, GPS, free blogger etc.etc. Most of the email I receive is from people with gmail. I love my Google Chromebook and use it all of the time. I'm starting to use Google docs and their spreadsheet. As I'm retiring and used my work's outlook for a calendar, I made an entry into Google's calendar on my Chromebook. I was able to read the entry on my Samsung Note - cool.
Last edited by Lynette on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:33 pm

LearningtheRopes wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:I had reservations about letting Google have access to my Emails
If you're getting email for free, they have the right to "read" your emails.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Google's mantra is "Don't Be Evil". Now maybe I am too trusting (I'm also not trading national secrets in my Gmail account) but in general, I find Google's products and services to be really a cut above and free, and if that means I get unobtrusive targeted ads in the web interface, well I get unobtrusive targeted ads in my web interface.

Also, I like their 2-step authentication.

Post by 2015 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:45 am

chonp3 wrote:After using a hotmail account for over 10 years, I've become frustrated with the new Outlook Preview upgrade. It links all of MSNs products through the email inbox, which means the inbox takes 5-10 seconds just to load. Prior to this it was instantaneous. I've checked out GMail, and it's somewhat similar in load time.

Is there a simple, no frills, online email client that I would be able to link my old account through?
The hotmail "upgrade" is a nightmare! Microsoft just can't seem to do anything right. That company is so ripe for disruption/displacement! I refuse to go near their windows 10 "upgrade" for this very reason. I've had hotmail since 1999 and will transition to yahoo when I get around to it.

avenger

Post by avenger » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:04 pm

I use the university email address from my medical school which is forwarded to icloud.com. Since I'm an apple user, it works.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:12 pm

Gmail here since its inception.
No complaints. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Quark

Post by Quark » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:20 pm

LearningtheRopes wrote:
Why would you rather give Yahoo access than give Google access?

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 pm

I've used
Microsoft Exchange on a school server
An outdated proprietary system on a university server
Gmail
Yahoo Mail
Hotmail
Outlook 2011, 2013, and 365

Of these, Gmail is my hands-down favorite, and the one I use for most personal business

rjm_cali

Post by rjm_cali » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:55 pm

And of course having a gmail account doesn't tie you to the web client (which imho is only marginally better than Lotus Notes of old i.e horrible). You can access your gmail email from any pop3/imap client of choice.

Nice thing about gmail is you can use it as a collecting bin for numerous email accounts should that be your thing.

I've switched back to Outlook (as it's part of my Office package) and access all my email accounts using IMAP now so I can switch between web and desktop client as and when.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:36 pm

I currently use 6 email addresses through my ISP and one gmail address. I suppose I also have an iCloud address, but I don't really use it. (Apple sometimes sends messages to that account.)

I use different email addresses for different "audiences." One is given only to close friends and family. Another is for official business (e.g., bank, doctor). One is something to fill in on sites that demand an email address to proceed.

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:32 pm

I am both a Hotmail and Gmail user for many years. (And technically Yahoo too, though I only really use that for Flickr and Fantasy Football.) I mostly use Hotmail (now Outlook) for commercial contacts and Gmail for personal ones.

I actually like Hotmail's upgrade to Outlook.com. I find that I'm always clicking on button at the upper left corner to quickly add a tab for OneDrive or OneNote and use those services while I have my email open.

The online versions of Word and Excel aren't bad either. There's actually an advantage here versus Google's offering in that any work you do in the online versions of Word and Excel within your Outlook.com login are automatically saved to your cloud folder on your PC as .xlsx and .docx files. From Google's documents, you have to take an extra step to download your document to Word or Excel or other formats. What is saved automatically to your PC from Google's services isn't viewable in desktop word processing or spreadsheet software, unlike with Microsoft's setup.
Last edited by Ice-9 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Jags4186 wrote:Google's mantra is "Don't Be Evil". Now maybe I am too trusting (I'm also not trading national secrets in my Gmail account) but in general, I find Google's products and services to be really a cut above and free, and if that means I get unobtrusive targeted ads in the web interface, well I get unobtrusive targeted ads in my web interface.

Also, I like their 2-step authentication.
The only thing worse than targeted ads are untargeted ads!

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:05 pm

I love Microsoft's outlook mail and windows 10.

Outlook is linked to it's calendar, onedrive, Skype, Word online, Office online etc.

Unlike Yahoo, I never get any spam either and it's for me very fast.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Gmail...

Been using it for several years now... no complaints.

Trev H

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm

Another vote here for gmail. I also find it has an excellent SPAM filter and it remembers stuff you don't want. I have my gmail downloaded to my Windows Live Mail every 30 minutes or so as I prefer using that instead of the gmail website, except when I am researching something that happened in the past and then I use gmail.com and the search engine associated with it. I store all my old emails on the gmail.com website and I am often glad that I do. I just searched for an old email yesterday and there it was. That way Windows Live Mail does not get all cluttered up.

Qtman

Post by Qtman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 pm

AOL forever, no complaints.
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon

6miths

Post by 6miths » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:15 pm

Hotmail now very rarely. Yahoo and gmail regularly. University e-mail once in a while.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

ww340

Post by ww340 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 pm

AOL - Good God, I'm old!!

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:31 pm

Hotmail and Yahoo.
All the Best, | Joe

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:33 pm

tutanota.com - free, secure, encrypted email.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:01 am

I use gmail, but if I didn't, I'd host my own secured email server
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Dimitri

Post by Dimitri » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:51 am

AOL for the past 2+ decades.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:36 am

Jags4186 wrote:Google's mantra is "Don't Be Evil".
Still? And they do it with a straight face?

Invasive monitoring aside, I cringe when I must steer computer-adverse relatives to anything google. Their UIs are designed for people who use them constantly. When a non-fanboy tries to use them without having memorized which obscure icon leads to what basic function, they are almost impenetrable.

Answer to OP: big-name ISP, gmail, hotmail, yahoo; different email addresses for different purposes. I don't see any as better than the others, and if they are, they'll be messed up again within the year.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:09 pm

90% of the emails I write either go to personal Gmail accounts or to organization accounts that are running on Gmail. So there's no way for me to hide my emails from Google, even if I wanted to!

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:10 pm

I didn't care with Outlook Preview edition at first, but after a few tweaks I'm cool with it. Not seeing the slow load times. Haven't seen a "perfect" email offering yet, but Outlook is pretty good IMO.

Bounca

Post by Bounca » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:31 pm

ww340 wrote:AOL - Good God, I'm old!!
Nah. What’s old is still having the same gmail account that I had to request from a co-worker. You see, back in the day when gmail was piloted you needed a referral.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Bounca wrote:
Nah. What’s old is still having the same gmail account that I had to request from a co-worker. You see, back in the day when gmail was piloted you needed a referral.
Naw. Old is when I had to leave Hotmail because they only gave you something like 10MB for your Email storage.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:03 am

Bounca wrote:
Um, AOL was around way before Gmail (1990s v. 2004)....

I've found that current e-mail usage generally breaks down as such:

AOL: Boomers and older
Hotmail or Yahoo: Xers
Gmail: Early Millenials/late Xers
Gmail or nothing: later Millenials

Obviously not hard and fast rules, especially with Gmail, but I find the first two to be pretty concrete. I'm an early Millenial, and ALL of my friends are on Gmail. Gchat provides vital daily interaction (it has replaced AIM from back in the day).

powermega

Post by powermega » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:29 am

I have an address with Yahoo that I've had for a long time. It is my "public" address that I use for setting up accounts, online profiles, etc. I also have a Gmail account that is "private". Only my friends and family see that address. By doing this, I get virtually no spam at all on Gmail. I strongly recommend that you set up two email accounts like this.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:27 pm

AOL for me. Since early 90s. It works, why change?
I never saw a reason to change and send out notices to that effect. And never had to learn a new email system.
Not only same AOL, but same exact email address too.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I guess you could say the same about Index funds.

LearningtheRopes

Post by LearningtheRopes » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Quark wrote:
LearningtheRopes wrote:
Why would you rather give Yahoo access than give Google access?
Because I generally use Google as a search engine. I thought that having the same company have my email and my search engine was too Orwellian and don't want to cross-pollinate.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:29 pm

Gmail for my real email. Hotmail and Yahoo for fake accounts that I give when something requires an email address. I'm guessing those puppies are full now, never checked :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

takethree

Post by takethree » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:20 am

Fastmail (previously fastmail.fm, now fastmail.com) has several advantages. Its web interface is just as fast if not faster than gmail's. Its users are its customers, rather than data to sell to others. Different price points for different storage levels. Easy to add tons of extra addresses in the form of aliases, which are all managed in the same account.

But most of all, its IMAP implementation is industry standard, which makes use with mail clients (iOS Mail, etc.) buttery smooth. Gmail's IMAP access has a long history of defects and weird work-arounds. Really, Gmail is so tweaked and enhanced in some ways, it's not email at all; it's a proprietary messaging service, which you can SORT OF access LIKE email if you must/want to use something other than Gmail's web interface.

And, there's Google's (I mean, Alphabet's!) impressive record of creepy privacy slights-of-hand.

Finally, for most people with iOS/Mac devices as their primary email machines, iCloud is perfectly good and very underrated.

I made the switch to fastmail a year and a half ago. Haven't regretted it.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:30 am

We use Time Warner's Road Runner Webmail for many years. Occasionally it is very slow, but does its work sufficiently, seems to be safe and is without other problems.

leod

Post by leod » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:52 am

I use hotmail for financial accounts
gmail for personal
and yahoo to give to advertisers or online accounts that i dont need to track regularly.

Apple also gave an email but it is linked to a Credit card so its only exclusive to that merchant

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:49 am

chonp3 wrote:What online Email do you use
Exchange Online but it doesn't sound relevant to you.
chonp3 wrote:Is there a simple, no frills, online email client that I would be able to link my old account through?
Is the Hotmail account the "old account"? Why do you need to support the old account versus making a clean switch?

joebh

Post by joebh » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:01 pm

I use Gmail and it loads very quickly.

In case you happen to have a very slow internet connection, they have a plain html interface.

westie

Post by westie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:44 pm

I use them all, have so many email addresses I have a notebook in Evernote to store them...but I have one for travel, vehicles, etc etc

I read an article recently about AOL. There are still more than 2 million people still paying them $20 a month to access the Internet. :shock:

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:51 pm

Have AOL for many years. Maybe not the newest or best but it works for me.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:19 pm

Outlook through hotmail on an old MSN account. I also have GMail but never use it. I find that if I simply stay logged into my outlook, it's no trouble (home computer) and it's instantaneous still on my iPhone. When logging out and then back in again is when it takes a few annoying seconds to load. I don't know what they are doing and I use no new features and (get off my lawn) don't want any new fangled crap.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Might want to consider registering your own domain name and then using Google or other email providers for hosting. This unshackles you from any one particular email service since your email address will be portable.