Amazon Prime: doing the math...is it worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dodecahedron

Re: Amazon Prime: doing the math...is it worth it?

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:15 am

denovo wrote:Sounds a bit absurd. How the heck is Amazon going to know who is an immediate family member. They don't ask for birth records, adoption documents, and etc do they? I know tons of people who share Amazon Prime that are not related or not living in the same address. Maybe they'll crack down eventually, but the only realistic way to do this is if they limit Amazon Prime to one physical address per account.

It has indeed changed for folks who started sharing after last summer.

Amazon previously allowed anyone with an Amazon Prime subscription to share shipping benefits and a few others, with up to four other “household” members. But with a change to its policies at the end of July, Amazon now only allows a Prime member to share their Prime benefits with one other adult.

What’s more, anyone sharing an account has access to each other’s credit cards to make purchases. That’s obviously not a problem for spouses or significant others who live together and share their financials, but it does put a damper on sharing your Prime benefits with extended family members, or with your friends or roommates, for example.

Source:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/03/amazon ... wljf8:gl39
Last edited by dodecahedron on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 am

dodecahedron wrote:
denovo wrote:Sounds a bit absurd. How the heck is Amazon going to know who is an immediate family member. They don't ask for birth records, adoption documents, and etc do they? I know tons of people who share Amazon Prime that are not related or not living in the same address. Maybe they'll crack down eventually, but the only realistic way to do this is if they limit Amazon Prime to one physical address per account.

It has indeed changed for folks who started sharing last summer. Details at this link:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/03/amazon ... wljf8:gl39

This is why this forum is awesome, high-quality information. I completely missed the story. I guess I'll eat some humble pie and edit my post.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 am

Target is a 10 min drive away, plus 20 min in the store of looking for my item, waiting at checkout, walking to my car, ect.

So 40min round trip is the fastest it can be done.

I figured amazon prime saves me at least 2 Target trips a month, so $100 for 16 hours of timesavings, seems like a bargain to me.

I commute via walking & subway, so there is no just stopping in at a store on my way home, instead I shop on amazon from my phone while on the train.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:28 am

nanoanalyzer wrote:Had Prime for 2 years, cancelled 3 years ago. I do miss Prime Instant Video, but living near a major Amazon warehouse (Owensboro) means super saver shipping only takes a handful of days anyway. Sometimes I have to wait a month to fill my cart with $35 worth of stuff. Not a big deal.

PS, don't forget to use smile.amazon.com and select the John C Bogle Center for Financial Literacy.

Thanks for that information. I'm using the Red Cross. They help so many during their most needful time in life.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

MikeStrauss

Post by MikeStrauss » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:15 am

Hopefully you live in a city where they have prime now which delivers the same day. If you don't it will probably come soon. Only good things are happening with this company https://www.tipranks.com/stocks/amzn

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:26 am

BTDT wrote:Free Kindle books
Free streaming movies, cable, and TV shows
Free streaming music
Free expedited shipping
Free cloud storage for pictures
No sales tax

I can't afford not to use Amazon Prime :oops:

Plus I can download movies to my Kindle. This is great for plane trips. I use to just talk to the person next to me, but fewer and fewer people want to talk on the plane.

essbeer

Post by essbeer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:34 pm

denovo wrote:Sounds a bit absurd. How the heck is Amazon going to know who is an immediate family member. They don't ask for birth records, adoption documents, and etc do they? I know tons of people who share Amazon Prime that are not related or not living in the same address.

They would ask you to choose a relationship (brother/sister/mother/etc.) when you added a family member to your account. There wasn't anything to prevent people from lying, it was an honor system. Obviously that has changed, but it doesn't seem to affect my access to Prime.

UADM

Post by UADM » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:17 pm

No minimum limit for free shipping. Cheaper option for 1 day shipping. 5% off everything with amazon store card, free instant video, 1 to 2 dollars credit for no rush shipping, and better prices than nearly everywhere else....It is a no brainer for me. The amount of time saved ordering on amazon cannot be stated enough.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Those of you who have a couple hundred Amazon transactions (that require physical delivery, i.e. not counting Kindle content purchases) or more per year, I'm scratching my head wondering what sorts of things do you buy so often? For example, do you buy pretty much all non-grocery items from them like aspirin, toothpaste, cleaning products, office supplies, etc? Or maybe some grocery items too?
I never really considered buying those sorts of things from Amazon but maybe I should.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:40 pm

We share an account with some relatives. I like Amazon and never even think about the annual fee.

DreamHigher

Post by DreamHigher » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:53 pm

For us Amazon Prime is worth it even with $99 price tag. We're a household that tries a lot of things before settling on the item. So, with Prime, we're able to order stuff with 2-day shipping, try it to see if we like it. If we don't like it, we return the item...with free return shipping. It saves us a lot of trips and lines at the customer service desks at mega stores.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:26 pm

Tamales wrote:Those of you who have a couple hundred Amazon transactions (that require physical delivery, i.e. not counting Kindle content purchases) or more per year, I'm scratching my head wondering what sorts of things do you buy so often? For example, do you buy pretty much all non-grocery items from them like aspirin, toothpaste, cleaning products, office supplies, etc? Or maybe some grocery items too?
I never really considered buying those sorts of things from Amazon but maybe I should.

Most of my transactions are 1-2 items, if I notice I'm running low on toothpaste, I order it from my phone 5 min later while drinking my coffee. It's no longer about planning a purchase, its all instant.

In the past I would have added toothpaste to my shopping list along with a dozen other items, and filled up a shopping cart at Target on the weekend.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Tamales wrote:Those of you who have a couple hundred Amazon transactions (that require physical delivery, i.e. not counting Kindle content purchases) or more per year, I'm scratching my head wondering what sorts of things do you buy so often? For example, do you buy pretty much all non-grocery items from them like aspirin, toothpaste, cleaning products, office supplies, etc? Or maybe some grocery items too?

We don't do hundreds of transactions but I appreciate Amazon for the convenience factor--yesterday for example my husband told me he was going to go to a hardware store to buy some 'shoe glue' to repair an old but well made pair he didn't want to discard. After checking online we quickly discovered no hardware store in our area actually had it in stock. And then yep, available on Amazon at a low price and delivered by Wednesday. Done. For people who value convenience and stress reduction Prime is a blessing every time you click the order button :D .

conroy

Post by conroy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:12 pm

jhfenton wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:I canceled prime a few years ago when they raised the price to a hundred bucks, but restarted it in April when I got rid of cable TV. Not sure if I want to end time to analyze my orders in great detail, but I know I have gotten back about $15-20 in credits for digital media purchases by agreeing to slower shipping when I don't need the expedited delivery (which is often the case).

The Kindle First free books also add a bit of value when you have a voracious reader like my wife to feed :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/kindle ... kf_surl_rw

Bit miffed, though, that the $73 price isn't offered to current customers.

That's a good point on the digital media credits. I often take the credits on orders that are not time sensitive. It also makes me split orders some times in order to get the credit on part of an order, but get another part faster. They often end up shipping both orders together anyway to save them money. :twisted:

And the Kindle First free books are a nice bonus.

Something fishy is going on with the digital media credits. I've been using them for awhile by picking slower shipping, but I just noticed that the credits stopped getting applied to my kindle purchases some time recently.

Investigating further, I found that my promotion code balances now show:
AMAZON GIFT CARD
$0.00
AMAZON MP3
$11.00
AMAZON VIDEO
$9.00
KINDLE EDITIONS
$0.00
SOFTWARE / VIDEO GAMES
$8.00
APPS FOR ANDROID
$8.00

I reread the email I get for the credit, and it states "You are receiving this credit because you selected No-Rush Shipping on your recent Prime order. You can use this $1 credit towards eligible Kindle Books, Amazon Appstore apps, Amazon Music downloads, digital video game or software downloads, or the rental or purchase of eligible movies or TV shows from Amazon Video."

Just something to watch out for.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:27 pm

I love prime because I hate having to go to most brick and mortar stores. Its very useful when I remember something I need for the weekend on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Man in the High Castle was a pretty good show too... we get more use out of the instant videos now that we have cut the chord and have a roku.

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm

We made 31 orders from Amazon last year that were other than electronic media, so the Prime charge for us is about $3.34 per order. Looking back at the list we bought some tools, some household cleaning supplies, some cooking equipment, a few physical books, some supplements for our dogs, and some small electronics and accessories. I do enjoy the free Kindle books as well, so that's another benefit in addition to always having fast shipping for free. There definitely were a few situations where we needed something last minute and would have paid for faster shipping, but probably not $105 worth.

For me the bottom line is when I consider the $105 cost, it's a tiny fraction of a percent of our annual spending, so it's not an expense that I'm going to lose a lot of sleep over given the convenience. I say that from the perspective of being fortunate to not have to pinch pennies too much, so if we were in a different financial situation I might evaluate it differently.
Dave

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Another vote for Prime not being worth it to us.

We got Prime free this year from opening a new Amex Card. Used it only for shipping. None, and I mean none, of the movies or shows I want to watch are available on Prime, so that has been completely worthless.

When the free subscription is up, we plan to cancel Prime. It's been very nice to get free fast shipping without having to bundle orders, but generally I don't mind waiting a little longer for the super saving shipping.

I also find that the sunk cost of belonging to Prime makes people less likely to shop around. I'd rather not be overly committed to one store.

bayview

Post by bayview » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:49 pm

I skipped a couple of replies, so SIAP, but one huge value I find with Prime: ordering heavy/ bulky items.

My auxiliary clothing rack, sorry, my recumbent exercycle :D was huge and heavy in the box, and shipping would have cost more than Prime.

We recently remodeled our old Craftsman bungalow, and UPS/USPS were kept hopping delivering kitchen sinks, lighting, and other items that would have cost a good chunk of change without free shipping.

But even without this, it's worth it to me for the convenience. I despise physical shopping, so Amazon takes up the slack.

And we won't go into the question of last-minute Christmas shopping... :oops:
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:05 pm

bayview wrote:I despise physical shopping, so Amazon takes up the slack.

:sharebeer Me too. Amazon has almost completely replaced Walmart (except for a couple of grocery items). And the last two years, I've bought zero Christmas presents in a physical store. I've shopped Amazon, eBay, and assorted other online retailers. I even ordered two books from Barnes & Noble dot com because they were cheaper than Amazon. But I won't set foot in a store shopping for Christmas presents if I can help it.

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:05 pm

I appreciate the convenience and quick shipping. For a variety of reasons I don't like Bezos. So if I need 3 things, I'll purchase them over the course of three days and 3 separate packages - just cuz I can. Did I mention that I hate Bezos?

cookiez

Post by cookiez » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:31 am

I should confess. I have my *cousin* invited me to join. I paid $15 a year for prime shipping. I complained 3 times last year about prime shipping not coming in 2 days so amazon extended prime member ship for 3 months. My average prime shipping privilege costs $1/month. At this price I'll keep it.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:29 am

I will probably still keep Prime, but now I place most of my Amazon purchases through Purse.io. My Purse profile has built up a bit and I'm successfully getting 30%+ discounts off of Amazon prices.

breeks

Post by breeks » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 am

Yep, Prime is a godsend for our family, especially now that we have a little one.

I view it as one of several technology-based services, including Uber, that drastically reduce the friction of living in an urban environment.

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:17 am

breeks wrote:Yep, Prime is a godsend for our family, especially now that we have a little one.

I view it as one of several technology-based services, including Uber, that drastically reduce the friction of living in an urban environment.

There's tons of household goods that you can get from Amazon like the stuff you mentioned that could easily add up to a hundred purchases or more (diapers, cat food, toothpastes , canned food , etc). I think it's great for convenience, but not the very best price. When I've checked these items, Costco has always done a bit better. Electronics retailers are matching and beating Amazon too these days.

amarone

Post by amarone » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:11 am

It is difficult to work out the benefit in pure dollars (doing the math).

We get a free Kindle book per month. Value $60 (only otherwise cheap books are available).

Free shipping - as others have said, we could mostly get free shipping simply by choosing the slower option that is free to non-Prime members. I like being able to get delivery reliably in 2 days. This is particularly useful as we have a second home and we can schedule deliveries to arrive on Friday/Saturday when we are there for a weekend. Monetary value? Dunno.

We use Prime Instant Video. If it was not included in the price, we would probably not pay extra as Netflix would suffice.

And I am just exploring Amazon Music. It might save some iTunes expenses, but I only spend about $20/year on that anyway. It is more likely to replace Pandora so I can avoid the commercials.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:02 am

I've discovered lately that Amazon ships some of my stuff 2nd day AIR (I guess to be sure it arrives on time). I am a Prime member.

Naismith

Post by Naismith » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:14 pm

The nearest COSTCO is two hours away. For those of us in smaller cities, the variety offered by Amazon is a blessing.

It is amazing the stuff that I can't find locally....as a bike commuter, I like to use LockLaces so that I don't risk catching on a shoelace. Can't find them anywhere in my own town.

UADM

Post by UADM » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:28 pm

Clothes- Waterproof jackets, ponchos, waterproof shoes, shirts, sneakers, jeans, computer speakers, allergy medication, toys for my son, books, blu rays, vacuum gift, blu ray player gift, printer gift, printer ink, blutooth headphones, blu tooth earpiece, boardgames, water filters, shaver, electric hair clippers, super glue, paper bowls, wireless keyboard, foam roller, non stick rug pad, flash drives, Nexus 7 case, car charger for usb inputs, monitor arm, batteries, matches, coat rack, Sherlock keychain, standing mat, garbage bags, packing tape... Shall I keep going?

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:44 am

Sounds to me like the OP doesn't derive enough value from Prime to justify the cost. In which case dropping it makes plenty of sense. It's obviously not worth it for them.

But everyone gets different amounts of value in different ways from a product. I often jokingly refer to Prime as a "tax on the impatient". But there's really more to it than just the fast shipping. If you use those things and think it's worth it, go for it.

As a wise old sage* once said, "what might be right for you might not be right for some".

* Or maybe it was the lyrics to the "Diff'rent Strokes" theme song.
Stay on target...

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am

If you really don't use any of the other services I could see how it might not be worth it for you.

We, on the other hand, do use them. We use prime music, streaming video, and kindle books. We even have Alexa, who is getting better and better every day.

I do like that you can now swap super fast shipping for $1 credit toward movies and whatnot. If I don't need something in two days I'll get it in 4 and have a buck to play with.

bad78andy

Post by bad78andy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:51 am

FreddieG wrote:I appreciate the convenience and quick shipping. For a variety of reasons I don't like Bezos. So if I need 3 things, I'll purchase them over the course of three days and 3 separate packages - just cuz I can. Did I mention that I hate Bezos?

You're probably not hurting Bezos much. AMZN is publicly traded, and may be in your mutual fund holdings. So you might be shooting yourself in the tip of your toenail. Ironic that you hate the man who founded a company that provides convenience, quick shipping, and excellent customer service (compared to Wal-Mart). If you truly hated Bezos, you wouldn't use Amazon but switch to Jet.com or WallyWorld.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:05 pm

bad78andy wrote:
FreddieG wrote:I appreciate the convenience and quick shipping. For a variety of reasons I don't like Bezos. So if I need 3 things, I'll purchase them over the course of three days and 3 separate packages - just cuz I can. Did I mention that I hate Bezos?

You're probably not hurting Bezos much. AMZN is publicly traded, and may be in your mutual fund holdings. So you might be shooting yourself in the tip of your toenail. Ironic that you hate the man who founded a company that provides convenience, quick shipping, and excellent customer service (compared to Wal-Mart). If you truly hated Bezos, you wouldn't use Amazon but switch to Jet.com or WallyWorld.

I can understand it. I dislike Steve Jobs personally; he was a genius at marketing but a shabby human. My family uses many Apple products. I personally didn't buy an iPhone until he died, although I did have an iPod.

I would perhaps not like to work for Bezos, and discouraged my son from applying there for an internship, but his company is great.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:08 pm

It is worth it for me. Between my wife and I we probably have 100 transactions/yr. The kids watch several shows. My wife has a Kindle.

This past Christmas I didn't have to go to a single store for a present. For the first time ever I did not hear anyone ringing a Salvation Army bell during the month of December. Money well spent...

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 pm

noco-hawkeye wrote:We bought prime for the shipping initially, though now we use the music frequently and the video less so.

It is worth it to us, here are some examples:

Lets say I can buy something at walmart for $10, and amazon has it for $8. This is something we need by the end of the week. We can either drive to walmart and pay the extra $2 plus gas + time, or just order from amazon and wait a couple of days.

Not true...walmart price matches amazon. This is one of the reasons I ditched prime a while ago. All the major stores around me now price match amazon...no point in 2 day shipping. It takes a couple minutes to run to the store and get the merchandise. In that amount of time I would have been watching terrible tv anyway. w00t

FrogPrince

Post by FrogPrince » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I can vouch for this. Amazon prices are not the best any more - I can find better deals at Walmart or Target. For electronics, try B&H which being in New York doesn't charge sales tax. And I order on Walmart's website for store pickup so I don't have to waste time locating the item or in checking out. The pickup place is empty usually.

Prime made sense when Amazon wasn't charging sales tax (I live in California). I dropped it as there's very little benefit - the prices aren't that different, and with store pickup, it's basically same-day if I want it.

ponyboy wrote:
noco-hawkeye wrote:We bought prime for the shipping initially, though now we use the music frequently and the video less so.

Lets say I can buy something at walmart for $10, and amazon has it for $8. This is something we need by the end of the week. We can either drive to walmart and pay the extra $2 plus gas + time, or just order from amazon and wait a couple of days.

Not true...walmart price matches amazon. This is one of the reasons I ditched prime a while ago. All the major stores around me now price match amazon...no point in 2 day shipping. It takes a couple minutes to run to the store and get the merchandise. In that amount of time I would have been watching terrible tv anyway. w00t

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:43 pm

ponyboy wrote:Not true...walmart price matches amazon. This is one of the reasons I ditched prime a while ago. All the major stores around me now price match amazon...no point in 2 day shipping. It takes a couple minutes to run to the store and get the merchandise. In that amount of time I would have been watching terrible tv anyway. w00t

I'll pay extra just to avoid going into a Walmart.

david9117

Post by david9117 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:14 pm

FrogPrince wrote:I can vouch for this. Amazon prices are not the best any more - I can find better deals at Walmart or Target. For electronics, try B&H which being in New York doesn't charge sales tax. And I order on Walmart's website for store pickup so I don't have to waste time locating the item or in checking out. The pickup place is empty usually.

Prime made sense when Amazon wasn't charging sales tax (I live in California). I dropped it as there's very little benefit - the prices aren't that different, and with store pickup, it's basically same-day if I want it.

ponyboy wrote:

There are a number of vendors on Amazon you can buy from who will not charge sales tax. Sort the various buying options with cheapest price+shipping+tax filter. A number of times there are vendors without tax who come out ahead.

ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:36 pm

One area where we receive value that I haven't seen mentioned is the Subscribe & Save functionality. https://www.amazon.com/gp/subscribe-and-save/details/. Save up to 15% off the items you use every month...we have toilet paper, paper towels, soap, etc. in ours. 20% of diapers by adding Amazon Moms has been nice too. All that stuff just shows up, don't ever have to think about it.

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Yes, Subscribe and Save is great. You don't need to be a Prime member to use it though.

FrogPrince

Post by FrogPrince » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes but who has time for that? B&H is consistently at or lower than Amazon for electronics, has a good reputation (returns etc.), ships free if you order more than a threshold, and the tax differential seals the deal. And almost every store now has in-store pickup - Nordstrom, Container Store, etc. - and so you get essentially same-day free pickup.

Prime might work for some people, especially for the shows, but others doing the math may be surprised that it's not the good deal it used to be. For me it was slightly less than breakeven, especially when you consider most places potentially can ship for free.

david9117 wrote:
There are a number of vendors on Amazon you can buy from who will not charge sales tax. Sort the various buying options with cheapest price+shipping+tax filter. A number of times there are vendors without tax who come out ahead.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:35 pm

FrogPrince wrote:Prime might work for some people, especially for the shows, but others doing the math may be surprised that it's not the good deal it used to be. For me it was slightly less than breakeven, especially when you consider most places potentially can ship for free.

Where Amazon excels for me is in the niche products I use. I've got a fair amount of chemical sensitivities, so I have to be careful with my choice of personal hygiene products. There are no chains that carry the fragrance-free shampoo and conditioner that I can use. The local health food store can special order it for me, but Amazon carries it at a much better price. Similarly, it carries the protein powder I use, but the powder is far cheaper on Amazon.

nolapepper

Post by nolapepper » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:56 am

I joined many years ago with a few friends. We first shared equally and later I took over the prime membership. They pay $18 to get fast free shipping and i pay $27 as the prime member to have other benefits that other friends do not care for. Well, those benefits turned out to be of little value. video is useless, hard to search and mostly old. My son does not care for it. Occasionally we download a movie when on vacation. Free book each month is same as video. Hard to find and does not have what we want. I did not know about the music. I will explore that feature.

I still like it for two reasons:

1. It saves time! I hate physical shopping. A grocery shopping trip is at least two hours while you can do it 5 minutes online. I buy toothpastes, paper towel, oat meal etc all online.

2. You can find out product quality by user review.

Additionally i like the 5% cash reward. :greedy :moneybag

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:33 pm

I noticed some people with 200+ items or shipments during the course of a year. What are people buying to the point they're ordering something almost every single day? I must be a very abnormal consumer because I don't buy that many items in 5 years with the exception of groceries, let alone in one year. Not to mention that Amazon doesn't always have the best prices.

gbronc

Post by gbronc » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:59 pm

One benefit that really gets overlooked is that you can only get the Amazon Store Card, which gives you a 5% rebate on every order, is only available if you have Prime.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:07 pm

gbronc wrote:One benefit that really gets overlooked is that you can only get the Amazon Store Card, which gives you a 5% rebate on every order, is only available if you have Prime.

At this point, that is by far the biggest reason we'll keep Prime. The shipping has sucked for us, we never get our Prime packages in 2 days (usually 4 or more) and we never use any of the other services. We have gotten $100 in rebates already this year from the Prime card though so we'll probably sign-up for another year.

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:06 am

PowDay wrote:Target is a 10 min drive away, plus 20 min in the store of looking for my item, waiting at checkout, walking to my car, ect.

So 40min round trip is the fastest it can be done.

I figured amazon prime saves me at least 2 Target trips a month, so $100 for 16 hours of timesavings, seems like a bargain to me.

I commute via walking & subway, so there is no just stopping in at a store on my way home, instead I shop on amazon from my phone while on the train.

Shipping from Target.com is free to redcard holders

amarone

Post by amarone » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:01 am

amarone wrote:It is difficult to work out the benefit in pure dollars (doing the math).

We get a free Kindle book per month. Value $60 (only otherwise cheap books are available).

Free shipping - as others have said, we could mostly get free shipping simply by choosing the slower option that is free to non-Prime members. I like being able to get delivery reliably in 2 days. This is particularly useful as we have a second home and we can schedule deliveries to arrive on Friday/Saturday when we are there for a weekend. Monetary value? Dunno.

We use Prime Instant Video. If it was not included in the price, we would probably not pay extra as Netflix would suffice.

And I am just exploring Amazon Music. It might save some iTunes expenses, but I only spend about $20/year on that anyway. It is more likely to replace Pandora so I can avoid the commercials.

An update: I have now swapped to Amazon music and rarely use iTunes. I have got an Amazon Store Card and expect to get about $125 - $150 back per year (although I would have got $30 - 35 by using my Amex. So even ignoring Prime shipping and streaming video, we get about $200 value.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:39 am

stoptothink wrote:
gbronc wrote:One benefit that really gets overlooked is that you can only get the Amazon Store Card, which gives you a 5% rebate on every order, is only available if you have Prime.

At this point, that is by far the biggest reason we'll keep Prime. The shipping has sucked for us, we never get our Prime packages in 2 days (usually 4 or more) and we never use any of the other services. We have gotten $100 in rebates already this year from the Prime card though so we'll probably sign-up for another year.

I'm curious why your shipping takes so long. We get ours in two days, like clockwork, but we live near NYC. Are you in a remote or poorly serviced area?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:51 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
stoptothink wrote:

I'm curious why your shipping takes so long. We get ours in two days, like clockwork, but we live near NYC. Are you in a remote or poorly serviced area?

Definitely not in a remote area. I think it has to do with the fact that the USPS does the actually final delivery for us and our post office service isn't just bad, it is criminal. Really. Our former delivery guy was fired a few months ago for literally throwing mail in the garbage. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all. I can't begin to tell you the issues we've had personally with our post office.

This isn't Amazon's fault, but it still negates the benefit.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:25 am

We probably 500 to 750 items per year.

We have over 30 monthly subscription items that get a minimum discount of 19.25% off prices that are already as cheap or cheaper to our best local options. Everything from pet food to paper towels to toiletries is included in that list.

The time savings is the most valuable for us as both my wife and I work in finance and have long hours. Family time is much more valuable than a couple of hours of shopping time a week.

We also use Amazon Fresh which is our cheapest grocery option - much cheaper than competing delivery services.

We are cord cutters so frequently watch shows on Amazon Video as well. We save about $30 per month in set top box rentals for 4 TVs which were an upfront cost of less than $150 to switch out.

I think our Prime Fresh Membership is $300 and we probably save at least $200 in a single month now with everything set up.