Anyone feel like talking "R"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DartThrower

Re: Anyone feel like talking "R"

Post by DartThrower » Fri May 04, 2018 10:38 am

oneleaf wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:02 am

Dplyr and lubridate are part of Hadley Wickham Tidyverse. It is almost better to learn the entire paradigm rather than piece by piece. This way, the ways in which it takes over Base R becomes clearer. The best book is available online here: http://r4ds.had.co.nz/

As someone who uses Python and R everyday at work, the only reason why I switched partially from Python back to R for data munging was the Tidyverse. The code is so readable and easy to maintain and share. I used to use Python for munging and R for analysis and plotting. But now, R with the Tidyverse is my go-to for munging.

Base R is still necessary and you will fall back to it with regularity so you are still best served to learn it well. But I also recommend diving fully into the tidyverse and use it as much as possible. Besides ease of readability, it is often faster. Dplyr’s joins are much faster than R’s merge.
Thanks oneleaf. Your experience is very interesting. I find that my skill level increases quickly when I try to use R at least a little every day. This seems especially important when just starting out with a language like R.
A Boglehead can stay the course longer than the market can stay irrational.