Powerball math: annuity is better?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
walletless

Re: Powerball math: annuity is better?

Post by walletless » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:00 pm

alex_686 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
westie wrote:If you're over 40, you're making a bet on your mortality if you take the annuity.
I don't think it's a life annuity (that is, one that stops with the death of the annuitant.) The word "annuity" is really confusing because it basically means any stream of annual payments. I think the Powerball annuity continues for 30 years no matter what. So you're only making a bet on your mortality in terms of your personal enjoyment of the money.

Nisprius, first, +1 on the Excel work. I think you nailed the issue perfectly.

Second, the article refers to the payments as a "certainty annuity" - it pays for exactly 30 years and stops, even if you die the next day. So once again you have hit it on the noise.

FYI, I am playing the lotto because it is the rational thing to do. I would be very sad if the office pool won and I was the only one that showed up for work. A small insurance payment to avoid regret.

I look at it this way: If you don't buy the ticket, you have 0% chance of win. If you buy, you have 50% chance of winning (either you are lucky, or you are not) :-)

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:50 pm

walletless wrote:I look at it this way: If you don't buy the ticket, you have 0% chance of win. If you buy, you have 50% chance of winning (either you are lucky, or you are not) :-)

Want to play poker? I need to recoup my $2.

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:20 am

Actually, I just thought of something else to add to the math: The actuarial probability of death. At least in my state, annuity proceeds from lottery winnings end at death and are not transferable or inherited. They end. I am presuming the same is true with the multi-state PowerBall. If so, lump sum looks even more attractive.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:24 am

Powerball has 30 annual payments, first payment immediate, which do NOT end at death.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Frugal Al wrote:Powerball has 30 annual payments, first payment immediate, which do NOT end at death.

Correct. That would definitely make it a no brainer.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:16 am

scotthal wrote:Comic thought: Schrödinger's ticket - it could be a winner - I haven't checked the number, & nobody has (as yet) claimed the prize...

Heisenberg's ticket: He knows he won, but he does not know where the ticket is.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:13 am

Leeraar wrote:
scotthal wrote:Comic thought: Schrödinger's ticket - it could be a winner - I haven't checked the number, & nobody has (as yet) claimed the prize...

Heisenberg's ticket: He knows he won, but he does not know where the ticket is.

L.

Rube Goldberg's ticket: A convoluted way to spend down $1.5B.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)