Warm vacation in January.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Warm vacation in January.

Post by EnjoyIt »

Boglers,
My spouse and I are looking to travel somewhere warm in January 2018 but really not sure where to go. The original plan was to go to Australia for 14 or so days but some people have told us that it is way too hot and we should reconsider. We currently live in Texas and are used to warm weather, but usually leave for a week or so during the summer cause the heat indeed is unbearable. We are planning now so that we can do the trip using miles for first class as well as points for hotel stays if possible and want to plan ahead giving us a year to purchase tickets. Award tickets are offered about 330 days in advance and fill up quick.

Anyways, If anyone can give us some recommendations I would love to hear them.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
hicabob

Re: Warm vacation in January.

Post by hicabob »

EnjoyIt wrote:Boglers,
My spouse and I are looking to travel somewhere warm in January 2018 but really not sure where to go. The original plan was to go to Australia for 14 or so days but some people have told us that it is way too hot and we should reconsider. We currently live in Texas and are used to warm weather, but usually leave for a week or so during the summer cause the heat indeed is unbearable. We are planning now so that we can do the trip using miles for first class as well as points for hotel stays if possible and want to plan ahead giving us a year to purchase tickets. Award tickets are offered about 330 days in advance and fill up quick.

Anyways, If anyone can give us some recommendations I would love to hear them.
New Zealand is much more temperate than Oz in Jan and a beautiful place to visit.
rixer

Post by rixer »

Hawaii would be warm.
cfs

Post by cfs »

San Juan, PR

Well, you can take a trip to "the second oldest continuously inhabited European established settlement in the Americas."

San Juan, PR
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

How about a Caribbean cruise
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

Singapore is guaranteed to be warm every day of the year.
athan

Post by athan »

If you go to Melbourne and points south in Australia the weather will be good in January.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Maui.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

In addition to warm, what're you enjoying when going on vacation?
StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong »

cfs wrote:San Juan, PR

Well, you can take a trip to "the second oldest continuously inhabited European established settlement in the Americas."

San Juan, PR
What about the oldest continuously inhabited European established settlement in the Americas? Or is it too dangerous?
cfs

Post by cfs »

StretchArmstrong wrote:
cfs wrote:San Juan, PR

San Juan, PR
What about the oldest continuously inhabited European established settlement in the Americas? Or is it too dangerous?
I go for that one too -- good place, decent people, and good prices too!!!
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
passiveincome

Post by passiveincome »

Go to Aruba. You don't even have to go first class because it is such a short flight. As a matter of fact go this year. Maybe three or four hours from Texas. 82 degrees everyday. I am going there next month. Awesome place
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

DW and I are currently vacationing for two weeks in Bucerias, near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

This is our fourth time here. Weather is great, as are the beach and prices.

Lots of Americans and Canadians own condos here, and we rent from the owner.

I haven't been to Australia or New Zealand yet, but they're on my list.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Sorry for the delayed response.

Some of the answers did have me think. Puerto Vallarta and Puerto Rico have been on our list for some time now. Those seam less grandiose vacations which we can do just about any time for 1 week. We are looking for something to do over a 2 week span.
athan wrote:If you go to Melbourne and points south in Australia the weather will be good in January.
You think we can go diving by the barrier reef? Or will it be too hot and rainy? This is something I always wanted to do. Sydney has been on the list as well.
tennisplyr wrote:How about a Caribbean cruise
Not a big fan of 2 week cruises. But for 7 days it would be a great idea
TravelGeek wrote:In addition to warm, what're you enjoying when going on vacation?

We want to be able to go site seeing, enjoy the culture, enjoy the food. Maybe go scuba diving. We are not particularly looking for a beach only vacation.
Watty

Post by Watty »

EnjoyIt wrote:The original plan was to go to Australia for 14 or so days but some people have told us that it is way too hot and we should reconsider.
The travel time to Australia or New Zealand would eat up a lot of that 14 days. It is doable but I would save those for when you can go for a longer trip.

In addition to the beaches there are a lot of ruins in the Yucatan which you could get to with a very short flight to make the most of your time.
telemark

Post by telemark »

It's always warm in Belize, and it has Mayan temples and a barrier reef.
M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G »

+1 for Hawaii... but go to Kauai, the green island. No skyscrapers, no big cities, just green beauty.
athan

Post by athan »

When I went diving on the barrier reef we went on a 3 day boat trip with 3 dives per day. It is a flight away from Sydney. Two weeks would not be enough time for a real Australia trip in my opinion. Keep in mind you are using two of those days in flight. You also can't fly the day after diving, so logistics may get complicated. I would say a month minimum for Australia (unless you plan to make multiple trips in your life). It is the size of the US, but most of the travel is basically on the east coast.
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

athan wrote:When I went diving on the barrier reef we went on a 3 day boat trip with 3 dives per day. It is a flight away from Sydney. Two weeks would not be enough time for a real Australia trip in my opinion. Keep in mind you are using two of those days in flight. You also can't fly the day after diving, so logistics may get complicated. I would say a month minimum for Australia (unless you plan to make multiple trips in your life). It is the size of the US, but most of the travel is basically on the east coast.
This may be very good advice. I think we will take it.

Maybe Hawaii is the right answer. I want to go somewhere that a two week trip is not too much. I think Belize, Aruba, PR are not those types of places.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

EnjoyIt wrote:
than wrote:Maybe Hawaii is the right answer. I want to go somewhere that a two week trip is not too much. I think Belize, Aruba, PR are not those types of places.
Each island in Hawaii offers something different. I have been to Oahu (Honolulu), Maui, Lanai, and Kauai. Honolulu is a metropolitan city with high-rise hotels on the beach. Too commercial and unlike a Hawaiian vacation for me but it's worth a day trip to Pearl Harbor to see the Battleships Arizona and Missouri. Kauai is the best for natural beauty because it gets the most rain. If you are into flowers and greenery that's the place to go. Maui is my personal favorite. It has great restaurants, plenty of things to do and places to see but it's still a great vacation in paradise. Just my opinion. I haven't been to the Big Island.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
WIAV8TOR

Post by WIAV8TOR »

If you have the time and the coin I'd go to New Zealand, second choice Hawaii if you haven't been there. You could do several islands in Hawaii. I leave for Aruba Friday. :happy