Amazon Prime Shipping Issues since move from UPS to USPS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DaftInvestor

Amazon Prime Shipping Issues since move from UPS to USPS

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Amazon Prime has started to ship using the USPS versus UPS over the past few weeks - at least in my area. Specifically they now ship between warehouses using their own truck fleet and then transfer to a local post office for local delivery. In any case - over the last couple of weeks I've had 3 delivery problems and wondering if anyone has experienced the same and/or has request a prime-partial-refund due to the issues. Two problems were simply packages arriving in 3 days instead of 2. This isn't too bad but I am paying a premium to get everything in 2 days so feel I am no longer getting what I paid for. The 3rd issue was that today a package arrived damaged (it was hand soap - the cartoon was banged so bad the box was soaked with liquid and placed inside a plastic bag by the USPS) - I will plan to ask for an RMA to send it back but that will be a pain - the time spent returning it will coast me more than the effort to just eat the damaged product. With 3 issues in 2 weeks - seems like I have a trend that I can expect to continue.
Anyone else having issues? Maybe just my local Postal Service?

mhc

Re: Amazon Prime Shipping Issues since move from UPS to USPS

Post by mhc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:03 pm

I made four orders this week. 3 out of 4 arrived in 2 days and 1 arrived in 3 days. I looked for an easy way to notify them that it did not arrive in time, but I couldn't find one. A few months ago, I had a package that didn't arrive in time. I notified them, and they resent the items. I ended up with duplicates of everything in the order. I figure that was reasonable compensation for the late delivery.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:04 pm

I haven't experienced any problems with Amazon lately, but I empathize with your USPS issues. Every night about 5:15 it's kinda fun to step out onto my street and watch how many neighbors are running next door or down the street to correctly deliver mail misdelivered earlier in the day by the postal service. Just about everything touched by the USPS in my town ends up in the wrong place. On the upside, all the folks living on my street have gotten to know each other better.

countofmc

Post by countofmc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:17 pm

I think there are more variables at play here than a UPS to USPS switchup. I'm a frequent Amazon shopper, and have had all the problems you've described, regardless of carrier.

I used to have a lot of problems with Ontrac, but after I moved to a different neighborhood, Ontrac became the most reliable delivery method from Amazon :confused

EDIT: I will say this though, imo Amazon does an appalling job packaging. I am not sure if this is a cost/time saving measure (probably), but they do not put enough of those air cushion thing into the box, so the items can move and bounce around quite a bit. I always laugh when they send those packaging feedback emails. They have gotten a tad better lately I think. I order a lot of photographic equipment, and the contrast in packaging is stark when compared to a real camera store like B&H in New York. That being said, Amazon seems to emphasize speed over everything, so as long as the item isn't outright damaged, I don't mind too much.
Last edited by countofmc on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:18 pm

I placed several orders in early December. Amazon has bundled them into different shipments. Two of these shipments have not arrived by middle December and I contacted Amazon. It was a hassle to file separate claims on items from different orders missing in consolidated shipments, but after I finished it, I was reimbursed very quickly. I asked for replacements, but many items were no longer available from the original sellers and I got refunds.

One issue was that the price for some items went up. For example, a box of Ceylon tea which I initially ordered for $24, was now over $30.

After I received refunds, I placed several new orders on 18 December. The scheduled delivery date was 29 December, revised to 2 January. As of yesterday, three packages still have not arrived, and I again filed claims with Amazon. As the first time, Amazon was quick to replace one item and to refund the rest. And as before, the prices for various items have gone up.

The packages were handled by the USPS.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

corysold

Post by corysold » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:22 pm

I'll try to remember how I get there, but I always start by searching "Contact Amazon". That will lead you to where you can contact them regarding the shipping on the order.

I always ask for an extra month of Prime whenever something arrives late. They've never denied that in 4 tries so far. I feel that is worth it for 1 day late delivery.

The few issues lately seem related to shipments coming from China. My wife ordered a few things that just never came. Amazon reimbursed fully right away, I'm guessing they just got lost somewhere along the way.

countofmc

Post by countofmc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:26 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I placed several orders in early December. Amazon has bundled them into different shipments. Two of these shipments have not arrived by middle December and I contacted Amazon. It was a hassle to file separate claims on items from different orders missing in consolidated shipments, but after I finished it, I was reimbursed very quickly. I asked for replacements, but many items were no longer available from the original sellers and I got refunds.

One issue was that the price for some items went up. For example, a box of Ceylon tea which I initially ordered for $24, was now over $30.

After I received refunds, I placed several new orders on 18 December. The scheduled delivery date was 29 December, revised to 2 January. As of yesterday, three packages still have not arrived, and I again filed claims with Amazon. As the first time, Amazon was quick to replace one item and to refund the rest. And as before, the prices for various items have gone up.

Victoria

I find Amazon's customer service to be atrocious and amazing at the same time. I know that sounds weird. I've dealt with Amazon in 3 stages. Generally I only need the first stage. You order with Prime, you get the package in 2 days. Done. But if the package is late or missing, or I have some other issue/ question, I have to contact customer service. That's stage two, and I always find this experience extremely frustrating, whether by chat or phone. Often times the agent does not seem to even understand what my problem is, and give me nonsensical or flat out wrong responses or solutions. Stage 2 at Amazon makes me honestly never want to shop there again.

But then things get to Stage 3, which is the resolution of the problem. And here again, I find Amazon to be amazing. Getting to Stage 3 can require some effort (asking to speak to a supervisor, emailing a couple of times, etc). Once I had a defective item, and they overnighted the replacement to me before I even shipped back the original item for return. Seems this is commonplace for them. My latest issue has been a blu-ray that was not delivered. Stage 2 consisted of the customer service agent telling me they couldn't give me an accurate date for delivery of the item. Stage 3 was a supervisor finding the item and getting it sent out to me, along with offering me a free digital copy of that movie so I could watch it immediately without having to wait for the blu-ray.

corysold

Post by corysold » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:29 pm

countofmc wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I placed several orders in early December. Amazon has bundled them into different shipments. Two of these shipments have not arrived by middle December and I contacted Amazon. It was a hassle to file separate claims on items from different orders missing in consolidated shipments, but after I finished it, I was reimbursed very quickly. I asked for replacements, but many items were no longer available from the original sellers and I got refunds.

Victoria

I find Amazon's customer service to be atrocious and amazing at the same time. I know that sounds weird. I've dealt with Amazon in 3 stages. Generally I only need the first stage. You order with Prime, you get the package in 2 days. Done. But if the package is late or missing, or I have some other issue/ question, I have to contact customer service. That's stage two, and I always find this experience extremely frustrating, whether by chat or phone. Often times the agent does not seem to even understand what my problem is, and give me nonsensical or flat out wrong responses or solutions. Stage 2 at Amazon makes me honestly never want to shop there again.

But then things get to Stage 3, which is the resolution of the problem. And here again, I find Amazon to be amazing. Getting to Stage 3 can require some effort (asking to speak to a supervisor, emailing a couple of times, etc). Once I had a defective item, and they overnighted the replacement to me before I even shipped back the original item for return. Seems this is commonplace for them. My latest issue has been a blu-ray that was not delivered. Stage 2 consisted of the customer service agent telling me they couldn't give me an accurate date for delivery of the item. Stage 3 was a supervisor finding the item and getting it sent out to me, along with offering me a free digital copy of that movie so I could watch it immediately without having to wait for the blu-ray.

I'd agree. I don't think I've ever been dissatisfied with their resolution offer.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Last year I had several shipments that didn't arrive on time. I don't think any of them were shipped by USPS. In a few cases they left the warehouse so late there was no way they could arrive on the expected (promised) day. I probably should have complained, but frankly it didn't matter to me.

Over the last few months I have earned $1 or $2 media credit on almost every shipment by agreeing (as a prime member) to accept slower shipment. Is quite useful since I am buying some streaming episodes of my favorite shows anyway.

The B&H comment above interesting because just yesterday I received a lens from them (UPS) and thought that they should have put in more bubble wrap material :)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:31 pm

countofmc wrote:

Victoria

Most of my experience is related to your Stage-3. I don't use Amazon Prime and select free shipments for orders exceeding $35. I don't call Amazon; I send them messages using their web site. Then I get fairly prompt responses by email.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:45 pm

I find that amazon hugely overpackages many things. If I buy a few hardcover books, I don't need them packaged like they were fine china.

I don't pay for prime, so they deliberately send them round the world first, but they do arrive at my house eventually.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:51 pm

mouses wrote:
I don't pay for prime, so they deliberately send them round the world first, but they do arrive at my house eventually.

In my experience, when I didn't have Prime, they would sit on my order for 3-5 days before they'd ship. I used to live close to big Amazon warehouse and it would then usually take 2 days to get to me.

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:52 pm

UPS delivery at my address is so bad that I routinely redirect packages to a local UPS store and pick them up there. The one time I paid for next-day delivery from Amazon, it ended up taking three days due to UPS bungling. Ontrac is even worse. But I've never had any trouble with the Post Office.

It'd be great if you could specify which service to use, when you place the order. Most of us seem to know what works at our locations.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Amazon pro tips:

If your order doesn't come when it was promised, call and complain. If you paid for shipping, ask them to refund the shipping. If you have prime, ask for a free month of prime. Also, they use multiple shippers and keep metrics on how well particular shippers do in particular locations. If they get several complaints about a particular shipper, they will switch to a different shipper.

The other thing is that Amazon uses "follow the sun" customer support. If you contact them during US office hours, you'll get a US based support person. If you contact them in the evening...you won't.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:16 pm

quantAndHold wrote:Also, they use multiple shippers and keep metrics on how well particular shippers do in particular locations. If they get several complaints about a particular shipper, they will switch to a different shipper.

Given that they have the tracking numbers, they shouldn't need to track complaints to determine problems with shippers.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:25 pm

No issues with my USPS.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:27 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:Also, they use multiple shippers and keep metrics on how well particular shippers do in particular locations. If they get several complaints about a particular shipper, they will switch to a different shipper.

Given that they have the tracking numbers, they shouldn't need to track complaints to determine problems with shippers.

My understanding is that a significant source of complaints is from where a shipper marks the package as delivered on time, but the package doesn't show up for a day or two after. We had that happen a lot with ontrac. They don't use ontrac to our house anymore. Go figure.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:51 pm

quantAndHold wrote:My understanding is that a significant source of complaints is from where a shipper marks the package as delivered on time, but the package doesn't show up for a day or two after. We had that happen a lot with ontrac. They don't use ontrac to our house anymore. Go figure.

Seems like outright fraud to me.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:54 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
quantAndHold wrote:My understanding is that a significant source of complaints is from where a shipper marks the package as delivered on time, but the package doesn't show up for a day or two after. We had that happen a lot with ontrac. They don't use ontrac to our house anymore. Go figure.

Would seem like it, but it is standard operating procedure with the post office. We had this happen with literally every single Christmas gift we ordered this past year. Some of them showed up as much as a week after they had been recorded as delivered.

grok87

Post by grok87 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:57 pm

countofmc wrote:

Victoria

i have had the same 3 stage experience
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 pm

I had an Amazon shipment delayed earlier this week. Something seemed to happen when the package was handed off from UPS to USPS. It wound up being a day late; it wasn't something I needed right away, so the delay didn't particularly bother me.

That being said, I think there's a reason why my dearly departed daddy used to refer to the USPS as the "U.S. Storage Service." :)
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

Post by 123 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Yes, Amazon shipping has turned into a zoo in my area too. I order once or twice a week and it used to come either by Ontrac or UPS. Now they've tossed USPS into the mix. The interesting thing is that some shipment now get mostly handled by UPS but the "last mile" is by USPS. I'm signed up for package notification from UPS and it's interesting that when there's a anticipated handoff to USPS UPS gives me a chance to have UPS deliver the "last mile" for an additional charge. I've found that UPS won't leave unattended packages on my doorstep so if no one is home they try to deliver again. But if it's USPS and there's space on the doorstep they leave the package there regardless. It's kind of a crap shoot who will deliver things.

Lately I've found myself holding off on some orders until there's space in a nearby Amazon locker.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:25 pm

123 wrote:I've found that UPS won't leave unattended packages on my doorstep so if no one is home they try to deliver again. But if it's USPS and there's space on the doorstep they leave the package there regardless. It's kind of a crap shoot who will deliver things.

I haven't signed for a package since I moved to my current town. Just yesterday UPS left a $600 lens on my doorstep. Not a big deal because I was actually at home and saw them drive away. USPS on the other hand usually puts the package in our mailbox (if small) or one of the package storage lockers that are part of our neighborhood cluster of mailboxes (key in our mailbox).

telemark

Post by telemark » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:59 pm

TravelGeek wrote:

The reality is that all the delivery services are getting squeezed at the margins. Employees are under pressure to meet their quotas and sometimes they cut corners. All the extra craziness around the holidays doesn't help.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:11 pm

telemark wrote:The reality is that all the delivery services are getting squeezed at the margins. Employees are under pressure to meet their quotas and sometimes they cut corners. All the extra craziness around the holidays doesn't help.

Yup. I remember the time when the UPS guy (in another town) just put the "sorry we missed you" sticker on my door when the delivery was a fairly large and heavy item (so I guess he just didn't feel like schlepping it up to my door). Too bad for him that I was at home and heard him walk up the porch.

StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Where I live it takes 2-3 weeks to get something via prime. If the weather is really bad it takes a little longer. If you don't have prime add 2-3 weeks on top of that.

And you guys are complaining about something taking three days instead of two??

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:33 pm

Thanks for all the responses...asking for an extra month of prime for their breach of terms seems a good solution.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:36 pm

I love when Prime is late. Every time (so far) they credit me a free month and sometimes they throw in $5.

Up to 4 free months.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:01 pm

123 wrote:I've found that UPS won't leave unattended packages on my doorstep so if no one is home they try to deliver again. But if it's USPS and there's space on the doorstep they leave the package there regardless. It's kind of a crap shoot who will deliver things.

All the carriers leave stuff on my deck. I can't remember the last time I got a notice of attempted delivery. None of them ring the doorbell, so stuff can sit out there being rained on, etc. Since I'm retired, I am not outside every day. So where available, I sign up for the email notices, so I know when something has arrived. Also useful if I get a notification and nothing is there, which happens rarely.

USPS consistently tries to be nice and leaves the day's mail with the package vs. out in the street mailbox. Okay, unless it starts to rain before I know about the package, but I haven't had the heart to tell them this is non-optimal.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Have had many packages delivered by USPS lately. All on time until this week. However, when reviewing the trackng information, the one day delay was caused by Amazon. Item ordered Sunday for Wednesday deivery. USPS received package on Wednesday morning about 100 miles from my home and delivered to me on Thurs.

richardglm

Post by richardglm » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:25 pm

I very frequently receive packages from Amazon Prime and for non Amazon business purposes. Packages come using all of the major shippers: USPS, UPS, FedEx, Ontrac, a local freight company, UPS packages delivered by USPS carrier, etc.

They will all lose packages, damage packages, delay packages, on occasion. None of them are particularly better or worse in this department. Probably 99% of packages arrive on time and safe.

Amazon is also wonderful about fixing any problems. I would just report each problem, let them fix it, and if there are frequently recurring problems with one carrier then they will figure that out. Companies like Amazon have direct, high level access to important executives and managers at UPS, USPS, FedEx.

ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 am

Regarding the free month of Prime for delays, this is actually written policy all you have to do is ask. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =201117450.

Regarding the three stages, I've found that I can quickly get to stage 3 by simply asking for my desired resolution up front. They are always willing to accommodate and often throw in a bonus of some kind too.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:08 am

I had a frustrating issue with a Prime order last week. I ordered on December 29th and half the order didn't actually ship until January 2nd, which meant I lost out on the Chase Freedom 10% cash back promotion (had to arrive at Chase by December 31st for the promo) for that half of the order. It wasn't a ton of lost cash back rewards, just around $7 for the difference between 10% and 1% cash back, but it was annoying all the same.

This thread reminded me to send off the "I'm very disappointed" complaint that I had been composing last weekend. I'd forgotten about it with how busy work was this week. We'll see how Amazon responds.

As for shipments through USPS, they've been prompt and properly tracked in December. But over the summer, I did have USPS mark a package as "delivered" when it wasn't actually put in my mailbox until the next day. The carrier for December was also good about ringing the doorbell and waiting a few minutes, and he'd leave the package on the porch if my car was in the driveway.

One's experience with USPS really does depend on the carrier and the personnel at the local post office.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:22 am

I have had most of the same experiences others have mentioned. It's second nature now to e-mail Amazon CS to have my Prime extended by a month when the delivery date is missed.

Yesterday may be my most ironic Amazon experience. I had ordered Moscovado sugar. The package arrived on time but, instead of the sugar, contained 42 bottles (30 capsules each) of #hairgoals nutritional supplement Amazon immediately refunded the money and told me I did not have to return the mistaken shipment. It is ironic because I am bald and, depending on efficacy, either profoundly in need of those 42 bottles or well beyond their therapeutic capacity. The mystery deepens because I can't find the product anywhere on the internet (and Amazon doesn't sell it).

Presumably there is a salon somewhere whose employees are waiting for supplements but who can console themselves with yummy oatmeal this weekend.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:36 am

I must be lucky, I think out of maybe an estimated few hundred orders, only one has not come on time, or been otherwise defective.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:28 am

anonenigma wrote:
Yesterday may be my most ironic Amazon experience. I had ordered Moscovado sugar. The package arrived on time but, instead of the sugar, contained 42 bottles (30 capsules each) of #hairgoals nutritional supplement Amazon immediately refunded the money and told me I did not have to return the mistaken shipment. It is ironic because I am bald and, depending on efficacy, either profoundly in need of those 42 bottles or well beyond their therapeutic capacity. The mystery deepens because I can't find the product anywhere on the internet (and Amazon doesn't sell it).

I ordered some Lady Clare wastebaskets (the Brits seem to call these waste bins.) There are only a couple of their designs I like, but it is hard to find nice metal wastebaskets any place. So one comes with a great design I hadn't ordered, a color photo of some bird. Great - I call them up to order more, but it was some special order of a zillion for some business customer, and somehow I accidentally got one of them, so, not possible.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:46 am

quantAndHold wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:

My understanding is that a significant source of complaints is from where a shipper marks the package as delivered on time, but the package doesn't show up for a day or two after. We had that happen a lot with ontrac. They don't use ontrac to our house anymore. Go figure.

I've had this twice in the last several years with our mail carrier. Both times the package was ultimately delivered the next day. It's not often enough to call it a pattern.

I've been getting most of Amazon packages via USPS lately too, and they've all been early. The day after Christmas (Saturday), I ordered some Xbox One games for my son with Christmas money. They promised Wednesday delivery, but they came on Monday. And the same thing happened last weekend: Saturday order, Monday delivery. They are probably orders that are coming from the northern KY distribution center when I live just across the river in Ohio.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:58 am

No issues yet with Amazon Prime, nor with USPS in general in my neighborhood.

However, the last time I was shopping for something, I was shocked to find that Amazon now identifies some Prime shipping items as taking "4-5 days."

I don't recall seeing any notice from Amazon of a change in terms and conditions for Prime, but clearly the service has been degraded and is different from what it used to be. I think Amazon is going to do itself a lot of damage here because Prime began life as "pay an annual fee and get free two-day shipping on everything," and that was always the core offering, with other miscellaneous "sweeteners" thrown in. Now it is not so clear what, exactly, you are supposed to be getting with Prime.

Paying a nice fixed known hard fee for a random, variable, squishy package of services that changes from time to time according to Amazon's whim is not a compelling proposition to me.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:40 am

stoptothink wrote:Would seem like it, but it is standard operating procedure with the post office. We had this happen with literally every single Christmas gift we ordered this past year. Some of them showed up as much as a week after they had been recorded as delivered.

If this happened to me regularly , I'd start a log and provide it to the postal inspector.

joebh

Post by joebh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:32 am

DaftInvestor wrote:With 3 issues in 2 weeks - seems like I have a trend that I can expect to continue.

Nope, no issues at all.

Perhaps this was due to the holiday rush. Lots of folks had problems, seemingly due to the increase in online purchases for the holidays.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:07 am

nordsteve wrote:
stoptothink wrote:Would seem like it, but it is standard operating procedure with the post office. We had this happen with literally every single Christmas gift we ordered this past year. Some of them showed up as much as a week after they had been recorded as delivered.

If this happened to me regularly , I'd start a log and provide it to the postal inspector.

We called the postal inspector on every single item and he pretty much assured us that was exactly what was happening. It's not news to them and it obviously becomes worse around Christmas.

I am not too concerned about a package being a day or two (or even a week) late, nothing I order do I need "right that second." I am not even concerned that some Prime items now are listed as "4-5 day" shipping, to me it is still free shipping. It's a totally different ballgame when it has been reported as delivered and you think it was stolen off your doorstep. That fraudulent practice needs to stop and it clearly is just accepted as normal by the post office. I haven't had the same issue with another carrier, but I would be surprised if it was any different.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quark

Post by Quark » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:20 am

Do some searching and you will find out that every carrier has a large number of complaints, often that it is the worst carrier ever, while some other carrier that the vendor used to use never was a problem. UPS is better than Fedex. Fedex is better than UPS. Lasership is the worst. Never a problem with Lasership. USPS fraudulently claims delivery, UPS fraudulently claims delivery, Fedex throws packages over fences, etc., etc.

If you order enough stuff online, you will occasionally experience problems. Sometimes you will have a run of problems, sometimes with the same carrier.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:06 am

joebh wrote:
DaftInvestor wrote:With 3 issues in 2 weeks - seems like I have a trend that I can expect to continue.

Nope, no issues at all.

Perhaps this was due to the holiday rush. Lots of folks had problems, seemingly due to the increase in online purchases for the holidays.

This all started after Christmas for me. In several years UPS delivered orders had never been late nor damaged.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:07 am

richardglm wrote:I very frequently receive packages from Amazon Prime and for non Amazon business purposes. Packages come using all of the major shippers: USPS, UPS, FedEx, Ontrac, a local freight company, UPS packages delivered by USPS carrier, etc.

They will all lose packages, damage packages, delay packages, on occasion. None of them are particularly better or worse in this department. Probably 99% of packages arrive on time and safe.

Amazon is also wonderful about fixing any problems. I would just report each problem, let them fix it, and if there are frequently recurring problems with one carrier then they will figure that out. Companies like Amazon have direct, high level access to important executives and managers at UPS, USPS, FedEx.

My experience with UPS the last few years has been stellar - never have I had anything late nor damaged..
..thus my disappointment with Amazons change to the US PS as it's primary last-mile deliverer.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:35 am

Daft,

Disclaimer: I'm usually a USPS defender (even though I retired from the nations largest fly-by-night delivery company). I remember someone here complaining that this was happening on their prime shipments when Amazon had used SmartPost/SurePost for shipments (the USPS does "the last mile" delivery). I don't know why Amazon would use any non time-definite shipping method when they have a 2 day commitment (ok, to save money). I guess their experimenting with ways to lower shipping costs vs customer dissatisfaction and additional costs. Seems to me if they want 2 day delivery they should pay for it. Obviously they have metrics but if nobody complains they might be more inclined to say good enough. I'm sure prime customers that buy inexpensive items and use free 2 day shipping is causing Amazon a lot of grief and they are rethinking their model.

SmartPost/SurePost is kind of a wacky product from a customer standpoint to me. Both FedEx/UPS can offer a lower priced service by saving costs on "the last mile" and the USPS goes to every postal box in the US 6 days a week - it would seem a match made in heaven. Their are cost savings but they (UPS/FedEx) have to hold the packages before they release them to the USPS (which costs money) or else customers will figure out they will get their items just as quick with the cheaper delivery service which cannibalizes time-definite revenues. What's weird to me is most people blame the USPS which is actually pretty efficient at the last mile (and they aren't getting paid a premium for a time-definite delivery). I suspect UPS/FedEx are happy with this arrangement, as long as customers impressions are that the USPS is responsible for their late deliveries but I don't think that any solution that isn't time-definite is correct for prime customers.
If I am stupid I will pay.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:45 am

I have delivered a few of my neighbor's amazon packages after they have been left in the large USPS lockbox with the key left in my personal lockbox but usually the mailperson gets it right. I was slightly impressed that she now uses a bar code reader/wireless computer for the "audit trail" when she delivers amazon packages just like ups/fedex do.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:21 pm

2comma wrote:Daft,

Disclaimer: I'm usually a USPS defender (even though I retired from the nations largest fly-by-night delivery company). I remember someone here complaining that this was happening on their prime shipments when Amazon had used SmartPost/SurePost for shipments (the USPS does "the last mile" delivery). I don't know why Amazon would use any non time-definite shipping method when they have a 2 day commitment (ok, to save money). I guess their experimenting with ways to lower shipping costs vs customer dissatisfaction and additional costs. Seems to me if they want 2 day delivery they should pay for it. Obviously they have metrics but if nobody complains they might be more inclined to say good enough. I'm sure prime customers that buy inexpensive items and use free 2 day shipping is causing Amazon a lot of grief and they are rethinking their model.

SmartPost/SurePost is kind of a wacky product from a customer standpoint to me. Both FedEx/UPS can offer a lower priced service by saving costs on "the last mile" and the USPS goes to every postal box in the US 6 days a week - it would seem a match made in heaven. Their are cost savings but they (UPS/FedEx) have to hold the packages before they release them to the USPS (which costs money) or else customers will figure out they will get their items just as quick with the cheaper delivery service which cannibalizes time-definite revenues. What's weird to me is most people blame the USPS which is actually pretty efficient at the last mile (and they aren't getting paid a premium for a time-definite delivery). I suspect UPS/FedEx are happy with this arrangement, as long as customers impressions are that the USPS is responsible for their late deliveries but I don't think that any solution that isn't time-definite is correct for prime customers.

I'm not sure the USPS isn't getting paid for the time sensitive delivery and why you claim such since each order does have a USPS tracking number for which you can get tracking/delivery confirmation and since one of the late deliveries was made on a Sunday morning - I doubt USPS would have sent out a truck to my house on a Sunday morning had they not been paid extra.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:40 pm

nisiprius wrote:However, the last time I was shopping for something, I was shocked to find that Amazon now identifies some Prime shipping items as taking "4-5 days."

I only saw that in the last week of December. I assume it was due to end of year inventory happening at warehouses, plus the USPS delivery holiday for New Years. In other words, Amazon was covering their rears in case the warehouse that had your stuff was doing inventory and the post office didn't deliver until Saturday the 2nd or Monday the 3rd.

Edit: Nevermind. I just looked up the same batteries as were in your picture and see they still have the 4-5 day notice. The items in my pending list do not have the 4-5 day notice. They all say free two day shipping. And I did get my H&R Block software ordered late at night on January 2nd in the normal Prime time frame, through USPS.

Second Edit: The 4-5 day Prime notice on the battery detail page may be a styling left over from the end of year inventory control. If you just search for CR2032 and look at the search result page, it says "Get it by Tuesday, Jan 12" for Prime shipping. That's within the normal 2 day Prime shipping timeframe. The Prime benefits page also still says free 2 day shipping.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:08 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:This thread reminded me to send off the "I'm very disappointed" complaint that I had been composing last weekend. I'd forgotten about it with how busy work was this week. We'll see how Amazon responds.

Seems I'm stuck in the "tier 2" category of customer service that someone described above: a.k.a. the "we didn't actually read the complaint, we just copied and pasted something that seemed relevant to the category of the complaint". Which means I got an utterly absurd response that has absolutely no relevance to my situation.

We'll see if I make it up to tier 3 with my response email which pointed out how utterly irrelevant the original Amazon response was.

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:40 pm

Our local USPS is excellent. However, I agree with the poor packaging from Amazon. I cancelled Amazon Prime after having had it for 4 years. Their prices on the items I ordered were going up by 5.00 or more and did not justify the 'free' shipping when I could get the items for less from others sellers, including the cost of shipping. And waiting a couple of additional days is not a problem. Amazon is really pushing their original shows and streaming movies included in their Prime subscription so I wonder if raising prices elsewhere is helping to pay those costs.