[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am

Ozark, on Netflix. Just watched Episode 1, Season 1. Wow. I can see shades of Breaking Bad in it and will certainly keep watching.

A Very Secret Service (Au Service de la France). This indeed a spoof comedy, in French with English subtitles. It's several steps above the original Get Smart TV series. If you follow the French, there were also a few Inspector Clouseau type phrases "The what..?" that didn't make it through the translation. I'll watch it when I want a change of pace from Ozark.

Also watched on Netflix and dumped:

Sons of Anarchy. Watched the first two episodes, then stopped. Ron Perlman is good, but I couldn't see how this plot is going for 7 seasons. There's not much creativity here and I could guess what the person was going to say next. As noted in earlier posts - "Peg Bundy" is a main character. I don't think that was any detriment and it's not why I stopped watching.

IT crowd. I couldn't last more than 5 minutes, especially with the canned laugh tracks.

I deleted these shows from my activity list so Netflix won't provide recommendations based on them.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:59 am

Recently watched:

-Killing Eve
-Succession
-Yellowstone
-Jack Ryan
-The Americans (final season)
-Goliath (season 2)

Yellowstone, The Americans and Jack Ryan were the best of the bunch. Killing Eve the worst of the bunch.

Blues

Post by Blues » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:46 am

"Scott & Bailey", a British police drama focusing (primarily) on a couple of female detectives as the lead. (Amazon Prime video.)

The first couple of episodes were quite good, imho...especially when compared with most of the garbage offered up in the genre by and large.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:37 pm

I’ve been watching the new Jack Ryan series on Prime Video. I have really enjoyed it so far. Very well done and a good story too...

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:52 pm

I have been watching The Sinner season 2 - only 2 more episodes to go. I still have the last season of Justified to watch and am re-watching episodes of Person of Interest which is my favorite show of the near past.

Also have been watching reality based Homicide Hunter and The Incredible Dr. Pol.

Interested in seeing the return of Murphy Brown.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:53 am
Sons of Anarchy. Watched the first two episodes, then stopped... I couldn't see how this plot is going for 7 seasons.
The same could be said for Breaking Bad. And yet...

SOA has many similarities with BB. It takes a few episodes to get into the plot and character development. Admittedly Ron Perlman and Charlie Hunnam are no Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul nor is Kurt Sutter a Vince Gilligan. But SOA is still a few notches above most TV shows.

BTW I just saw the first episode of SOA's follow-on, Mayans M.C. and was unimpressed. Still I'll watch a few more episodes to see if there's any improvement.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:59 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Ozark, on Netflix. Just watched Episode 1, Season 1. Wow. I can see shades of Breaking Bad in it and will certainly keep watching.

A Very Secret Service (Au Service de la France). This indeed a spoof comedy, in French with English subtitles. It's several steps above the original Get Smart TV series. If you follow the French, there were also a few Inspector Clouseau type phrases "The what..?" that didn't make it through the translation. I'll watch it when I want a change of pace from Ozark.

Also watched on Netflix and dumped:

Sons of Anarchy. Watched the first two episodes, then stopped. Ron Perlman is good, but I couldn't see how this plot is going for 7 seasons. There's not much creativity here and I could guess what the person was going to say next. As noted in earlier posts - "Peg Bundy" is a main character. I don't think that was any detriment and it's not why I stopped watching.

IT crowd. I couldn't last more than 5 minutes, especially with the canned laugh tracks.

I deleted these shows from my activity list so Netflix won't provide recommendations based on them.
I just finished season 2 of Ozarks - so far I've enjoyed it. It does have shades of Breaking Bad, but Breaking Bad had a bit of a comedic streak in it that you don't see as much in Ozarks.

Apparently I'm one of the few here who liked sons of anarchy. It by no means is complex high intellectual drama. It is basically shock - pulp fictionish humor, colorful characters, with on ongoing plotline.

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:55 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:20 pm
...Next up - Mad Men, on Netflix. I rarely go for pure drama, meaning it's not sci-fi or an action-packed thriller (Breaking Bad, etc.).

The over-emphasized stereotypical gender discrimination (to put it mildly...) got me annoyed, as I think it was unrealistic. However, I can see why this series won a lot of awards. I'm a few episodes into Season 1 and it's getting interesting. I'll continue to watch it.

For Mad Men, I couldn't make it past episode 6 of Season 1 and have stopped watching it.

Too bad, I really enjoyed that show. I watched it when it was running, and a few months ago watched the whole thing again binge watch style and enjoyed it even more. What I liked

- I think they really paid attention to values in that period, granted Madison avenue in NY I'm sure is exaggerated compared to everywhere else.
- The show really plays with your head, the characters are often morally bankrupt, but then you start to see their human side, and you have sympathy for them, then they go and do something despicable again.
- There's a bit of fascination to me as it takes place during my early childhood.
- I can identify with working for a privately held company with major shareholders with egos doing some really stupid stuff.
- Don Draper to me is an immensely interesting character - very complex. I don't know if you got far enough along to delve into his beginnings.
Last edited by JBTX on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:18 pm
Watched the first episode of Succession.

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.
That was our feeling through the entire episode.
Now we aren't sure we want to bother with Episode 2.

But... we aren't sure we *don't* want to watch Episode 2.
Oddly torn.

RM
Like you, the first episode I wasn't too sure. It just seemed too over the top with greatly exaggerated stereotypes. But I stuck with it and found I really liked it - the characters became more interesting. There are also some really good lines.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 am

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am
LadyGeek wrote:
Sons of Anarchy. Watched the first two episodes, then stopped... I couldn't see how this plot is going for 7 seasons.

SOA has many similarities with BB. It takes a few episodes to get into the plot and character development. Admittedly Ron Perlman and Charlie Hunnam are no Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul nor is Kurt Sutter a Vince Gilligan. But SOA is still a few notches above most TV shows.
In other words, SOA is inferior to Breaking Bad in just about every possible way. ;-)

<Subtle humor alert> While you are at it, why not compare SOA to Shakespeare? <end alert>

I do wonder how many in the core audience realized that it was a modern-day adaptation of Hamlet. Jax of course is Hamlet, Peg Bundy plays the queen Gertrude, and Ron Perlman plays the king Claudius. That's what kept me entertained--watching the plot elements of Hamlet play out. However the show eventually ran out of things to milk from Shakespeare, and I regret having watched the extreme brutality of the last couple of seasons.

It's not something I would casually recommend to anyone else.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 am

JBTX wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:59 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
...Next up - Mad Men, on Netflix. I rarely go for pure drama, meaning it's not sci-fi or an action-packed thriller (Breaking Bad, etc.).

The over-emphasized stereotypical gender discrimination (to put it mildly...) got me annoyed, as I think it was unrealistic. However, I can see why this series won a lot of awards. I'm a few episodes into Season 1 and it's getting interesting. I'll continue to watch it.
Too bad, I really enjoyed that show. I watched it when it was running, and a few months ago watched the whole thing again binge watch style and enjoyed it even more. What I liked

- I think they really paid attention to values in that period, granted Madison avenue in NY I'm sure is exaggerated compared to everywhere else.
- The show really plays with your head, the characters are often morally bankrupt, but then you start to see their human side, and you have sympathy for them, then they go and do something despicable again.
- There's a bit of fascination to me as it takes place during my early childhood.
- I can identify with working for a privately held company with major shareholders with egos doing some really stupid stuff.
- Don Draper to me is an immensely interesting character - very complex. I don't know if you got far enough along to delve into his beginnings.
+1 on all accounts. I thought Mad Men was fantastic, and I think what gave it staying power was the complexity of the Don Draper character.

Perhaps you have to be of a certain age to recognize the era, and be seduced by the nostalgia. (At the time the series was set, I was probably the same age as Don Draper's son.) Only on rare occasions did I think that they hit a false note.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 am

House Blend wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 am
Bylo Selhi wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

In other words, SOA is inferior to Breaking Bad in just about every possible way. ;-)

<Subtle humor alert> While you are at it, why not compare SOA to Shakespeare? <end alert>

I do wonder how many in the core audience realized that it was a modern-day adaptation of Hamlet. Jax of course is Hamlet, Peg Bundy plays the queen Gertrude, and Ron Perlman plays the king Claudius. That's what kept me entertained--watching the plot elements of Hamlet play out. However the show eventually ran out of things to milk from Shakespeare, and I regret having watched the extreme brutality of the last couple of seasons.

Comparing SOA to Breaking Bad is sacrilege. IMO, SOA might be the worst written popular show in TV history. Everything Kurt Sutter has been involved in has started with an interesting premise, but then kills itself with hilariously bad dialogue and gigantic plot holes.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:41 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:17 am
House Blend wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:27 am
Bylo Selhi wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

Comparing SOA to Breaking Bad is sacrilege. IMO, SOA might be the worst written popular show in TV history. Everything Kurt Sutter has been involved in has started with an interesting premise, but then kills itself with hilariously bad dialogue and gigantic plot holes.

Obviously opinions vary widely on SOA. For sheer entertainment value I really enjoyed SOA. It isn't for the faint of heart with its gratuitous crudeness and violence, and you really can't get too caught up in the plausibility of the plot or details. I recall in one episode dozens of people were killed in a gun fight, and afterwards everything went on as usual. Such an event would be looping on CNN for a week.

I kind of considered it my mindless indulgence.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:03 am

I just finished watching season 2 of Ozark. As others have said it compares generally in terms of structure/plotting to Breaking Bad, in that the theme is a family getting involved and going deeper into an illegal/immoral lifestyle. I found both seasons interesting and worthwhile however it is VERY dark with very little if any relief from violence and depressing themes. Actors' performances are uniformly superb, IMO.

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:24 pm

JBTX wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:03 am
ResearchMed wrote:

We weren't sure as it started, and almost turned it off, but couldn't quite do it.

Oddly torn.

RM
Like you, the first episode I wasn't too sure. It just seemed too over the top with greatly exaggerated stereotypes. But I stuck with it and found I really liked it - the characters became more interesting. There are also some really good lines.
I just watched the first episode last night and was left with the same impression as both of you. All of the characters seem like such loathsome people. Kendall especially came across as an amalgamation of every person I've ever wanted to punch in the face and the embodiment of an ethos I hated at my previous employer.

So, I dunno. We'll see how the second episode goes. :|

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm

MJW wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:24 pm
JBTX wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

Oddly torn.

RM
I just watched the first episode last night and was left with the same impression as both of you. All of the characters seem like such loathsome people. Kendall especially came across as an amalgamation of every person I've ever wanted to punch in the face and the embodiment of an ethos I hated at my previous employer.

Update: We decided not to watch additional episodes.
There are too many other choices of what we could do/want to do with our time.

ETA: It's like sunk costs. Just because we started the series doesn't mean we need to continue.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 pm

MJW wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:24 pm
JBTX wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

Oddly torn.

RM

Without giving too much away, you definitely start to empathize for him as a person, mainly because his dad is such a ruthless #!##!!!###

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:41 pm

I finished the Sopranos last week on HBO OnDemand. I watched the entire series over the course of two months, averaging about a season per week, give or take.

This was my first time watching the series. While I didn’t love every minute of it, I found it fascinating and I can easily understand why the show has iconic status. It’s obviously one of the forefathers of the TV revolution that was to take hold nearly a decade later.

Since I watched the series relatively quickly, pace and continuity was not much of an issue for me. I am not sure that the experience would have been the same had I watched it during its original airing over a span of seven to eight years with one episode per week and large gaps between seasons. Watching in rapid succession made it much easier to see how different elements of the plots tied together and to perhaps make sense of how the show ended. It would have certainly taken patience and a good memory for the show to have had the same effect on a viewer during the original run.

I could add a ton of commentary on different elements of the show but probably don’t have anything new or original to offer.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:37 pm

JBTX wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

For Mad Men, I couldn't make it past episode 6 of Season 1 and have stopped watching it.

I do remember that time period (likewise, in my childhood :) ) and agree on the high quality of the show. The accepted "gender gap" on roles and responsibilities for that time (to say it very mildly) bugged me, but I was also looking for something more than pure drama.

IOW, there was no sci-fi, action, thriller, criminal violence, or suspense going on. Watching complicated character relationships evolve wasn't enough to keep me interested.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm

"Shameless" is back!

Ed

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:26 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:37 pm
JBTX wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

I do remember that time period (likewise, in my childhood :) ) and agree on the high quality of the show. The accepted "gender gap" on roles and responsibilities for that time (to say it very mildly) bugged me, but I was also looking for something more than pure drama.

IOW, there was no sci-fi, action, thriller, criminal violence, or suspense going on. Watching complicated character relationships evolve wasn't enough to keep me interested.
It is one of the recurring themes of the show, and is repeatedly demonstrated. The inappropriateness can be uncomfortably humorous and bothersome at the same time. I think the show goes out of the way to show the warts that existed during that time frame for many people in that time frame. It seems like there is a segment of society now that looks to that age as a golden era of the way things should be, and this really points out some really ugly aspects.

I tend to like a good pure drama, if it is well done. I found the first few seasons of madmen often humorous, occasionally even comedic. The last couple of seasons were less humor and more serious, but good too.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Just started "Shitts Creek" and am finding it pretty funny. YMMV.

MJW

Post by MJW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:52 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Update: We decided not to watch additional episodes.
There are too many other choices of what we could do/want to do with our time.

ETA: It's like sunk costs. Just because we started the series doesn't mean we need to continue.

RM
For what it's worth, I don't think you missed anything by electing to not continue.

I ended up watching the season because I was interested to see what happened to the family company, as I tend to enjoy corporate dramas. The characters made the show nearly unwatchable, though. I get that a lot of what I watched was intended by the writers to be darkly comedic, but characters like Roman and Connor were not even believable as human beings, IMO. I heard the show has been renewed for a second season. Not sure how they're going to get another season out of that.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm

We recently watched all episodes of Death in Paradise on Netflix once again. These are police stories set in the Caribbean. We thoroughly enjoyed this series. We had forgotten the plots in most cases so they were still mysteries.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:26 pm

American Vandal Season 2 on Netflix. It's a spoof of true crime documentaries. It is silly, but I am enjoying it.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:13 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm
We recently watched all episodes of Death in Paradise on Netflix once again. These are police stories set in the Caribbean. We thoroughly enjoyed this series. We had forgotten the plots in most cases so they were still mysteries.
I enjoy this show, even with all the cast changes. My favorite character is Dwayne Meyers played by Danny John-Jules. He has been in the show since the first episode, as has been Don Warrington as Commissioner Selwyn Patterson. I think those are the only two full-timers. Both are very important to the character of the show.

I was not previously familiar with either of these two so looked them up on IMDB a couple of years ago:

Danny John-Jules was one of the Doo-Wop singers in the 1986 Little Shop of Horrors.
Don Warrington was in a 1993 episode of Lovejoy.

The current lead, DI Jack Mooney, is played by Ardal O'Hanlon of Father Ted fame.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:10 pm

We have watched the first two seasons of Broadchurch on Netflix. This is a chilling but addictive police story.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:47 am

Ozark (I know I'm slow) on Netflix is really good.

Jason Bateman is really good. Cast and story are up there in Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Walking Dead territory. :o
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:58 am

I just loved "Anne with an E" on Netflix
I was surprised at how progressive the plot became given that it takes place in the mid 19th century.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:47 pm

I watched the new Magnum PI last night. Also the new show, Manifest, about a 2013 airliner that lands in 2018 New York.

Both lived down to the NYT summary: "On Monday, the “Magnum P.I.” pilot is a snooze, and “Manifest,” the missing-plane drama, is even worse."

We made it through Magnum, barely, but probably won't watch again. It was almost insulting in acting, plot and story. We stopped watching Manifest after about 20 minutes.

The Times also panned New Amsterdam, and FBI, comparing them to wearing borrowed underwear. Doesn't look like a good start to the new season. They do seem to give Murphy Brown a chance, but say it reminds them most of Roseanne.

edudumb

Post by edudumb » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:04 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm
Impractical Jokers on TruTV channel. Every day, never miss it. Never disappoints!
Same here, but have recently switched my love for:

Dr Phil
90 Days of Fiance

Life is so uneventful, and it's another type of fun to watch some real-life drama of the others :sharebeer :sharebeer

seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 pm

I watched "Cathedral of the Sea" - Spanish with subtitles. Netflix

If you like a series where the bad guys really get their comeuppance, this is the series for you.

Takes place in and around Barcelona in the 1400s. Somewhat predictable.The bad guys are really bad and the good guys are really good.

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Currently in the middle of Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:17 pm

MJW wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:58 pm
One of my favorites! Hope you enjoy it.

SeekingAPlan

Post by SeekingAPlan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:20 pm

"This Is Us".

Who is "her"? Kate? Rebecca? Someone else?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 pm

MJW wrote:
Steve Buscemi impressed me with his ability to play two characters so different from each other comparing his role in this with his role in The Big Lewbowski and be so convincing in both.

None the less, it took a few episodes for me to stop (silently) yelling at him "You're out of your element Donnie!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:18 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:12 pm
MJW wrote:
Steve Buscemi impressed me with his ability to play two characters so different from each other comparing his role in this with his role in The Big Lewbowski and be so convincing in both.

None the less, it took a few episodes for me to stop (silently) yelling at him "You're out of your element Donnie!"
LOL. "Shut the #### up, Donnie!" That one has made the "movie quotes my wife and I repeat to each other" list.

He was treated so badly in that movie.

Bharat

Post by Bharat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 am

Artful Dodger wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:27 pm
Just finished watching episode 2 of season 2 of Unforgotten. This is a British mystery series we watch on PBS Masterpiece. I think its pretty good. Both seasons are three episodes, about 90 minutes each. The story revolves around finding an old murder case from 20 to 30 years ago, then putting the clues together to solve it. They introduce a number of characters in the beginning, then as the story unfolds, you find out how they fit into the case.
Another vote for Unforgotten. I have seen first 2 seasons and they are beautifully done. There isn't a lot of bloodshed, shooting, car chase, people running around, but the story is so well written that you don't need James Bond gimmicks to keep you interested. Highly recommended if you like detective stories.
Everything that you own, owns piece of you.

Bharat

Post by Bharat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 am

KSOC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm
Nobody watching "The Tunnel"? Two season on Amazon Prime. Terrific!
Have you seen the original Swedesh/Dannish show "The Bridge"? Is the story same/similar?
Everything that you own, owns piece of you.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Bharat wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:03 am
KSOC wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:13 pm
Nobody watching "The Tunnel"? Two season on Amazon Prime. Terrific!
Have you seen the original Swedesh/Dannish show "The Bridge"? Is the story same/similar?
Looks like the same story. So according to Wikipedia, the original version you mention spawned French "The Tunnel" & an American "The Bridge", which I watched & enjoyed very much.
Too soon old, too late smart.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 pm

Currently watching "Yes, Minister" ... 1982, but my local PBS airs it and I haven't watched it before. It's brilliant.

Just finished "Jack Ryan" (exactly what you'd expect. Not brilliant, but entertaining with high production values) and Killjoys (started out as mindless entertainment, but has evolved into something more complex than anticipated; must love SciFi).

Speaking of sci-fi - If you're a fan, "The Expanse" is brilliant.

Very much looking forward to "The Good Place" returning tomorrow!

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Finished Season 2 of Ozark. Great. Not quite to the level of Breaking Bad, but what is.
Billions was also great (Showtime). Waiting on season 4.
Am currently watching Better Call Saul season 4. Feel the first 3 seasons were better but will no doubt keep watching.
Anyone watch Westworld season 2 ? Really enjoyed season 1 but don't currently have HBO so wondering if its worth getting for this.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm

I was scrolling through the program guide on my cable service and saw Barney Miller was on one of those channels that shows mostly reruns of old TV series. The show was a hit comedy in the 1970's. Set in a NYC police precinct, the show relies on clever dialogue among several quirky characters. The timeless plots deal with the human condition. The show is still hilarious and demonstrates that great writing holds up. If you are into action and shootouts, this isn't your cup of tea.

DMW

keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 pm

I'm typically not one for cooking shows...somehow I've gotten sucked into The Great British Baking Show on Netflix. I recommend it.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 pm

AnonJohn wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:30 pm
Currently watching "Yes, Minister" ... 1982, but my local PBS airs it and I haven't watched it before. It's brilliant.
As is the subsequent, "Yes, Prime Minister."

And if you like "House of Cards" check out the original, British version from 1990. Arguably better than the current US version. House of Cards (TV Mini-Series 1990) - IMDb

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm
I was scrolling through the program guide on my cable service and saw Barney Miller was on one of those channels that shows mostly reruns of old TV series. The show was a hit comedy in the 1970's. Set in a NYC police precinct, the show relies on clever dialogue among several quirky characters. The timeless plots deal with the human condition. The show is still hilarious and demonstrates that great writing holds up. If you are into action and shootouts, this isn't your cup of tea.

DMW
I loved that show, it had great dialog and good comedy :) .

What is the name of the cable channel which carries it?

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:01 pm

AnonJohn wrote:

Just finished "Jack Ryan" (exactly what you'd expect. Not brilliant, but entertaining with high production values) and Killjoys (started out as mindless entertainment, but has evolved into something more complex than anticipated; must love SciFi).

Just last night I finished the last three episodes of Jack Ryan, and watched the first episode of Expanse.

Overall, I thought Ryan was well done. It's interesting seeing how they updated the characters, but at the same time a little jarring in the departures from the original books.

I'd never seen Expanse, but picked up the audio book of James Corey's Leviathan a few weeks ago and I'm about 80% in. It's a long book - a 21 hour listen, and really got into it. The first episode follows the book pretty close. Looking forward to more. Not sure how many seasons there are, but it looks like the books series is up to eight.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:06 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 am
Dead Man Walking wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:58 pm

DMW
I loved that show, it had great dialog and good comedy :) .

What is the name of the cable channel which carries it?
Barney Miller is on Sundance from 6-10 AM on Tuesdays.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:07 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:01 pm
AnonJohn wrote:

Just last night I finished the last three episodes of Jack Ryan, and watched the first episode of Expanse.

Overall, I thought Ryan was well done. It's interesting seeing how they updated the characters, but at the same time a little jarring in the departures from the original books.

I'd never seen Expanse, but picked up the audio book of James Corey's Leviathan a few weeks ago and I'm about 80% in. It's a long book - a 21 hour listen, and really got into it. The first episode follows the book pretty close. Looking forward to more. Not sure how many seasons there are, but it looks like the books series is up to eight.
Thanks for the nudge to go read / listen to Leviathan. Been meaning to ...

siker

Post by siker » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Blackadder
Father Brown
Silicon Valley

sedonashine

Post by sedonashine » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 am

Ken Burn's doc "the Mayo Clinic" on PBS...what a marvelous story and still the model for excellent health care for all.