[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Trader Joe

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:24 pm

"According To Jim".

Love it.

On the Laff Network (Free OTA TV).

Very funny.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:36 am

I watched Jack Ryan Season 2 and definitely chuckled when the PhD in economics recommended index funds. I thought the season was okay. I think a lot of times they make the plot too convoluted or complicated to seem smart but it is just a distraction. The idea that a small group of US military/CIA guys is landing in a helicopter on the roof of the Presidential palace in Caracas and storming in to get back their guy is silly.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:27 am

"Atypical" on Netflix. Great writing, really good acting, funny with a look at how a family that has an ASD kid can have impacts far beyond the diagnosed individual.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:59 am

MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:07 pm
StandingRock wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 pm
Gilligan's Island on Amazon Prime.
Speaking of old shows the Mrs and I found Match Game '75 on Amazon Prime. Talk about a blast from the past. We find it every bit as hilarious as when we were kids. That being said I'm not sure our parents would have let us watch it back in the day if they'd realized it was so full of double entendres. We've watched quite a few of the Rowan and Martin's Laugh In too.
DW and I ran across this too. Seeing host Gene Rayburn with his 2 foot long corded microphone made me chuckle :)

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:20 am

JBTX wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:32 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
MrBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm
heartwood wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:48 pm
I watched Season 5 of Peaky Blinders yesterday. It ended on a cliffhanger for a major character.

I enjoy the series and the actors and their characters. Sometimes the music is a bit much. I do at times have trouble keeping all the characters straight in my mind.

Rumors are out that a Season 6 may be coming, perhaps in 2021 or later.
I like everything about this show, even the music. I still have 2 seasons to go but am trying to savor it rather than binge watching all of them. :D

So far it ranks up there with some of my favorite shows of all time.
I have to agree. I watched some of the early episodes again with the kids; they hold up well, and I’m not someone who often watches shows again. The music makes me appreciate my sound system.
I agree on the music. Overall like the show but to me it is getting a bit stretched in later seasons.
Exactly my take as well. Thoroughly enjoyable series, but like many other series, my expectations are elevated after the early seasons and subsequent seasons just can't meet them.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 am

Letterkenny on Hulu.

It's definitely not for everyone but I've found it pretty funny (probably because I live in a place not too different from Letterkenny). You got the hicks, the skids and the hockey players. The show gets better as it goes on. I love the dialog... snappy, but it's sure to offend some.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am

Just finished the final season of “The Man in the High Castle”. Somewhat enjoyable, but it felt like the writers ran out of steam near the end.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 am

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am
Just finished the final season of “The Man in the High Castle”. Somewhat enjoyable, but it felt like the writers ran out of steam near the end.
Agree.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:17 am

Blues wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 am
Just sayin... wrote:
Agree.
One of those shows that I wanted to like, but IMO it just wasn't very well done. I stopped trying to like it 2 seasons in.

MaryO

Post by MaryO » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:18 am

Final Poldark episode last night was a great end to one of my all time favorite shows. I'll miss it :(

Also caught two episodes of the newly released season three of The Crown on Netflix. Episode 2 has perhaps the most ridiculous TV scene I've ever watched in my life. It depicts a formal dinner with Princess Margaret at the LBJ White House & I will bet my entire Boglehead-developed portfolio that it's not even close to reality. So idiotic. So exaggerated. I don't feel like tuning in for the remainder.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:52 am

I'm 3 or 4 episodes into Temple. Not bad. A surgeon does just about whatever he has to to keep his terminal wife alive. This includes operating a clinic where he treats criminals.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Castle Rock - season 1 on Hulu.

Good acting and solid cinematography but the story didn't come across so well for me.

Luckily - got Hulu last year on Black Friday for $1/month - definitely got my $1's worth for some of the shows - including Handmaid's Tail - actually better than the book.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:14 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:02 pm
Castle Rock - season 1 on Hulu.

Good acting and solid cinematography but the story didn't come across so well for me.

Season 2, which is about halfway done on Hulu, is so much better.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:11 pm

The Crown Season 3 on Netflix which just became available for streaming yesterday. There’s a new cast necessitated by the passage of time, the characters are older. The quality is as good as on the other two seasons. We’ve seen the first two episodes so far.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:38 pm

chipperd wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:27 am
"Atypical" on Netflix. Great writing, really good acting, funny with a look at how a family that has an ASD kid can have impacts far beyond the diagnosed individual.
Really like Atypical.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:31 am

Started “For All Mankind” on Apple TV. A what if show where the Soviets landed on the moon first.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:45 pm

Blues wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:44 am
Just sayin... wrote:
Agree.
I'm debating on this as well. I still need to visit season 3. I lost interest when the initial reviews were a lot lower than the previous two seasons. Really liked seasons 1 & 2.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:28 pm

I was skimming through Netflix looking forward something to watch last night, and saw this sci fi show called Better Than Us. I checked it out on Rotten Tomatoes, and reviews were great. I watched the first two episodes and it is pretty intriguing. I didn't pick up from the reviews, but it is a Russian show in English subtitles. The show begins with Asimov's three laws of robotics written across the screen. A couple have split up, father is trying to get time with kids, mom planning to move away with new boyfriend to Australia and take the kids with her. Father is employed as coroner or medical examiner and a body is brought in under suspicious circumstances. The body is a worker at a large concern selling life like robots, and a new even more advanced robot has recently gone missing. This robot befriends the young daughter in the family.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 pm

Treadstone on USA network. The series is based on the concepts of the Jason Bourne character created by Robert Ludlum. It’s an entertaining TV drama; however, I see some flaws with the timelines of present day and 1970’s in the flashbacks.

DMW

hisdudeness

Post by hisdudeness » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:28 pm
I was skimming through Netflix looking forward something to watch last night, and saw this sci fi show called Better Than Us. I checked it out on Rotten Tomatoes, and reviews were great. I watched the first two episodes and it is pretty intriguing. I didn't pick up from the reviews, but it is a Russian show in English subtitles. The show begins with Asimov's three laws of robotics written across the screen. A couple have split up, father is trying to get time with kids, mom planning to move away with new boyfriend to Australia and take the kids with her. Father is employed as coroner or medical examiner and a body is brought in under suspicious circumstances. The body is a worker at a large concern selling life like robots, and a new even more advanced robot has recently gone missing. This robot befriends the young daughter in the family.
Thanks for the recommendation. I watched episodes 1-3 last night (3 hours) and nearly started a 4th.
I'd give it a 7/10 rating so far

vasu100

Post by vasu100 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:54 am

The Kaminsky Merhod on Netflix. Binge watched both seasons. Loved it. Big stars. Great writing. And I can relate to the storyline. Recommended