[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by abuss368 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:12 am

The 90210 reboot has been playing in my house. It is different.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am

City on a Hill - Showtime. Kevin Bacon w/ a fantastic job of acting.

JackieBog46

Post by JackieBog46 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:53 am

Hollywood loves making dark, dystopian, end-of-days "entertainment" these days. Why is this stuff entertaining? I have gotten about 20 people to watch a gem called Heartland (on Netflix, Prime and Hulu). It is the longest running show in Canadian Broadcasting Company history, currently going into Season 13. Yes, it's Canadian, but it's from Western Canada, and they're pretty much just like western Americans.

Heartland is a beyond-lovely family show that defies description in its beauty, drama, charm, adventure and magic. And, because the series is so long-running, you get to see the main characters grow up and mature. The romance between main characters Amy & Ty puts anything by Nicholas Sparks to shame. Of the 20 (or so) people who have watched Heartland on my recommendation, 15 have told me it's the greatest show they've ever seen. Most end up binge-watching 2-3 episodes per night! There are, currently, 213 episodes.

You have to watch the first 3 shows (not just 2) to get hooked but you will be forever glad you did. It is not hokey or corny like you might think. And, unlike most of today's "entertainment," it will make you laugh and cry and will feed your soul. Honestly, you probably have never seen a show this good. If you don't believe me, go to Amazon and type-in "Heartland Season 1" and read the stunning reviews. Here's the trailer for Season 12 so you know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBIDMSGDKg

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:09 am

On Netflix currently enjoying Velvet, a made in Spain series. This is our third Spanish series (High Seas, Gran Hotel, and now Velvet) all by the same producer. Fast speaking, fast-paced, lots of twists and turns, good acting and fun.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 am

DW and I just finished binge watching "Covert Affairs", 5 seasons.
Now into the 2nd Season of "Bones".

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm

Rewatching all three seasons of Detectorists, a BBC comedy which aired from 2014-17, great stuff! We borrowed the DVDs from our public library.

The lives of two eccentric metal detectorists, who spend their days plodding along ploughed tracks and open fields, hoping to disturb the tedium by unearthing the fortune of a lifetime.

It being well written with a good cast, and being a sometime detectorist myself, it has a certain resonance. Diana Rigg (The Avengers) has a cameo role. Her real life daughter is one of the leads.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm
Rewatching all three seasons of Detectorists, a BBC comedy which aired from 2014-17, great stuff! We borrowed the DVDs from our public library.

The lives of two eccentric metal detectorists, who spend their days plodding along ploughed tracks and open fields, hoping to disturb the tedium by unearthing the fortune of a lifetime.

It being well written with a good cast, and being a sometime detectorist myself, it has a certain resonance. Diana Rigg (The Avengers) has a cameo role. Her real life daughter is one of the leads.
Detectorists is one of those situations where everything came together perfectly. A wonderful show. Too bad it couldn't go on forever.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet (AKA S.O.B.)

gary11

Post by gary11 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Just finished Mindhunter season 2. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended for crime thriller fans!

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:46 am

Just finished The Spy.Very good.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:04 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:26 pm
Detectorists is one of those situations where everything came together perfectly. A wonderful show. Too bad it couldn't go on forever.
If you’ve only seen the show on Netflix you ought to get the DVDs too, there are some nice “behind the scenes” extras you’d enjoy. We borrowed them from our public library, no need to buy.

Mackenzie Crook didn’t want to continue as he thought it would get boring and ruin it. He’s right I think, better to quit while you’re ahead. It won one BAFTA award (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) “Best Scripted Comedy 2015” and was nominated for two others. It also won a Broadcasting Press Guild Award “Best Actor 2015”.

I may just get my old detector out next week and see what I can find before the snow flies! It’s been a couple of years. (I’ve got a Garrett). Unfortunately nothing around here is remotely as old as what you may find in merrie old England!

Taz

Post by Taz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:46 pm

bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

I just watched the first episode on Amazon Prime. I have to ask -- does it gets a bit more energetic? It moved about as fast as the show about the guy who travels on a narrow boat on the canals.

Plus, I kept thinking about the bald guy's role as the evil scientist in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Taz
The destination matters.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Taz wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:46 pm
bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

I just watched the first episode on Amazon Prime. I have to ask -- does it gets a bit more energetic? It moved about as fast as the show about the guy who travels on a narrow boat on the canals.

Plus, I kept thinking about the bald guy's role as the evil scientist in Captain America: The First Avenger.
- Taz
There are some more energetic parts but it’s intentionally slower-paced than most comedies, that’s one of its charms.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Why is "The Americans" on the Bogleheads Amazon list?

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 pm

Pacific wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:21 pm
Cycle wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:43 pm
mcraepat9 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:48 pm
02nz wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:20 pm
Whakamole wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 am
couldn't even get past the first episode of that show.
Too bad. One of the best TV shows ever.
+1
+1. I couldn't get past the first episode of The Wire... but i forced myself to watch a couple episodes on a recommendation. It ended up being the best series I've seen, The Wire that is. Americans is pretty good too.
The Wire is the best series I have ever seen. The trick is to watch it along with English subtitles since the street language is too difficult to understand.
The Wire, on Amazon Prime. I just finished the 3rd episode of Season 1. I can see why this show is highly rated. It's very realistic and does indeed deserve to be compared to Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

I recognized a very much younger Lance Reddick from the Bosch series.

I'm in Philadelphia, which is less than 2 hours from Baltimore. The street language sounds fine to me. There's an accent? :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am

Taz wrote:
I just watched the first episode [of Detectorists] on Amazon Prime. I have to ask -- does it gets a bit more energetic? It moved about as fast as the show about the guy who travels on a narrow boat on the canals.
It's a show to be savoured, not chugged down like cheap beer!

It even has Simon and Garfunkel. Be patient.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet (AKA S.O.B.)

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Just finished The I-Land on Netflix.A very bad Lost like show that I give 1 star.I can’t believe I watched all the episodes but as bad as it was I was curious about answers to what was going on.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm

The Ken Burns PBS production of "Country Music" a total of eight nights this and next week. If you like country music, I believe you'll love this series. It traces the history of country music from the Carters to the mid-1990s. Wonderful character studies woven into the history of not just country music but of America itself.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Retired1809 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm
The Ken Burns PBS production of "Country Music" a total of eight nights this and next week. If you like country music, I believe you'll love this series. It traces the history of country music from the Carters to the mid-1990s. Wonderful character studies woven into the history of not just country music but of America itself.
Very well done!

We enjoyed it thoroughly, especially with the historical focus.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:51 am

"The Righteous Gemstones". I think there has been 5 episodes so far. Hilarious; and having lived for 5yrs where "mega churches" are the thing, far too realistic.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 am

Have two episodes left of Unbelievable on Netflix. True story. Incredibly well done. Hard not to binge watch the whole thing.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:06 am

sixtyforty wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 am
Have two episodes left of Unbelievable on Netflix. True story. Incredibly well done. Hard not to binge watch the whole thing.
+1

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:58 am

Another +1 for The Spy

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:34 am

sixtyforty wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 am
Agreed.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:45 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 pm
Retired1809 wrote:
Very well done!

We enjoyed it thoroughly, especially with the historical focus.

RM
+1

We are finding it to be reaching our expectations of a Ken Burns series. Excellent.

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:06 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:51 am
"The Righteous Gemstones". I think there has been 5 episodes so far. Hilarious; and having lived for 5yrs where "mega churches" are the thing, far too realistic.
I just started watching it last week. Only two episodes in so far (not much time for TV right now), but I'm loving it. Great casting and writing

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:47 am

Retired1809 wrote:
We have watched the first 3 episodes, it is very interesting even if you you are not a country music fan.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:28 am

Shetland
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Finished Unbelievable on Netflix.Excellent.

Blues

Post by Blues » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:49 pm
Finished Unbelievable on Netflix.Excellent.
Agreed. Even the not so subtle girl power / anti-male undercurrent wasn't enough to undermine the excellent production values, acting and story.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:38 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 am
Taz wrote:
I just watched the first episode [of Detectorists] on Amazon Prime. I have to ask -- does it gets a bit more energetic? It moved about as fast as the show about the guy who travels on a narrow boat on the canals.
It's a show to be savoured, not chugged down like cheap beer!

It even has Simon and Garfunkel. Be patient.
I started watching this show last week. Started season 2 last night. It's a weird adjective to describe a low key TV show but I adore it.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:44 pm

The missus didn't care much for Detectorists after the first episode...but now she's looking forward to starting season 2 this evening.

I find it a refreshing change from our usual fare.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 pm
...I just finished The 100, on Netflix (5 seasons). Season 5 seemed to drag in the beginning and the dialog was somewhat predictable. However, the last few episodes rapidly picked up in intensity and ended in a way I didn't expect.

Season 6 is expected to show on Netflix sometime in August.
I just finished Season 1 of The Wire, on Amazon Prime. Before starting Season 2, I did a quick scan on Netflix.

The 100, Season 6, has indeed arrived. I took a break from The Wire to watch the first episode and was wondering if I would get bored. Nope. You could almost predict what would happen, but they do it a creative way that keeps you guessing and in suspense to see what happens next.

I'll keep going to finish the season then switch back to The Wire.

FYI - There will be a Season 7.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:07 pm

I just watched the series finale of Suits on USA after 9 seasons. What an underrated series. Sad to see it go, but it was a great ending. Easily one of the best series finales I've every seen.

sedonashine

Post by sedonashine » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:22 pm

KEN BURN'S COUNTRY MUSIC.,,,,ONE CAN BINGE ALL 8 EPISODES RIGHT NOW ONLINE ...BEFORE IT GOES TO PASSPORT/DONOR ONLY VIEWING...IT IS AMAZING!~A GREAT AMERICAN STORY~

Dregob

Post by Dregob » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 pm

"The Handmaid's Tale"on Hulu. Excellent but disturbing.

mancich

Post by mancich » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:27 am

Inside Bill's Brain on Netflix. 3 part series about Bill Gates and the initiatives he has been working on through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I thought it was very interesting.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:19 pm

I've been keeping a list of shows recommended here and in the papers. I tried The Boys on Amazon last night. It's watchable and clever. I've only watched S1E1 so far. Full frontal male nudity and incessant foul language are distractions. The language in particular is distracting.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:30 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 pm
The 100, Season 6, has indeed arrived. I took a break from The Wire to watch the first episode and was wondering if I would get bored. Nope. You could almost predict what would happen, but they do it a creative way that keeps you guessing and in suspense to see what happens next.

I'm revising my opinion, as I watched nearly half the episodes today. They decided to stretch the series by filling in the plot with a mind-numbing chick-flick soap opera. It doesn't work.

It got better once they got past the teenage heart-throb romances. Not great, but OK. I might watch the rest of the episodes.

Update: Never mind, I couldn't get past episode 6. I'm done. Back to The Wire.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 pm

mancich wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:27 am
Inside Bill's Brain on Netflix. 3 part series about Bill Gates and the initiatives he has been working on through the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. I thought it was very interesting.
I thought it was great and would recommend it to everyone. He is a fascinating person and is trying to do very good things with his money.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:05 am

Started Barry on HBO, has promise.

and Letterkenny on Hulu, OMG, not sure what to think of this show so far but it's fairly entertaining to my male juvenile brain.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:02 am

Watching Glitch, an Australian made series about a small town where 7 dead folk mysteriously come back to life. Excellent so far. On Netflix.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

steveyg50

Post by steveyg50 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:36 am

Anyone mentioned The Boys?

Just finished first season, I think it's really rather brilliant. If you like black comedy. Best thing I've seen all year.

Its a superhero series, but with superhero's as bad guys, quite a nice 'antidote' to Marvel really.

Really very funny in places, also quite shockingly gory occasionally.

josehde

Post by josehde » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 am

Unbelievable on Netflix, it wasn't an easy watch. But then again, it isn't the first show this year that dealt with difficult subjects. Chernobyl and When They See Us are great but I don't think I'd want to see them again anytime soon.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 pm

gary11 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:56 pm
Just finished Mindhunter season 2. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended for crime thriller fans!
+1. The retro 70's serial killers are super creepy.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 am

MNGopher wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 pm
gary11 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:56 pm
+1. The retro 70's serial killers are super creepy.
I liked Season 2 OK but I thought it fell far short of season 1. I didn't like the extended focus on a single case, significant reduction in the "process" they were developing for interviewing other killers, and significant increase in time spent on the personal lives of the characters. I feel like the entire storyline with Dr. Carr was stapled on to the season just so they could have something for her to be filmed doing.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 am

abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm
abner kravitz wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am
Watched "The Spy" on Netflix. True story of an Israeli spy in the 1960s, starring the Borat guy in a serious role. It was good.
Were you able to "overcome" images of "the Borat guy" while watching him in a serious role?
I've occasionally had difficulties when an actor who was "so well known" as one character (or type) suddenly shows up in a totally different type of role. It seems with "Borat", it might be very difficult indeed. And he's done more than just "Borat", but what we've seen have all been of that "type".

RM
Yes, he was actually good and really didn't remind me of Borat or any of his other stuff.
This was a really good mini series. Based on actual historical events which I previously didn't know about. The real story is compelling just in itself. The first one or two episodes were a bit slow and corny but it quickly draws you in. Very suspenseful. Cohen (the actor, not the spy) did a fairly good job. I wouldn't say it was an emmy award winning performance but it was an entertaining character (albeit exaggerated according to living family members). The rest of the performances were very good. Also hit on some of the themes in movie Munich- everyday people going into espionage and making huge sacrifices for their country and people.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:09 am

JackieBog46 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:53 am
Hollywood loves making dark, dystopian, end-of-days "entertainment" these days. Why is this stuff entertaining? I have gotten about 20 people to watch a gem called Heartland (on Netflix, Prime and Hulu). It is the longest running show in Canadian Broadcasting Company history, currently going into Season 13. Yes, it's Canadian, but it's from Western Canada, and they're pretty much just like western Americans.

Heartland is a beyond-lovely family show that defies description in its beauty, drama, charm, adventure and magic. And, because the series is so long-running, you get to see the main characters grow up and mature. The romance between main characters Amy & Ty puts anything by Nicholas Sparks to shame. Of the 20 (or so) people who have watched Heartland on my recommendation, 15 have told me it's the greatest show they've ever seen. Most end up binge-watching 2-3 episodes per night! There are, currently, 213 episodes.

You have to watch the first 3 shows (not just 2) to get hooked but you will be forever glad you did. It is not hokey or corny like you might think. And, unlike most of today's "entertainment," it will make you laugh and cry and will feed your soul. Honestly, you probably have never seen a show this good. If you don't believe me, go to Amazon and type-in "Heartland Season 1" and read the stunning reviews. Here's the trailer for Season 12 so you know what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBIDMSGDKg
I like the dystopian stuff, but I'll definitely give this a try. Could be a nice change of pace. Probably something my wife will like this too.

Have you watched Parenthood? It was a network TV series based on the movie. It was surprisingly very good. They tackled various family issues in an intelligent yet entertaining way. A little more low key than the movie.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:15 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:30 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:53 pm

I'm revising my opinion, as I watched nearly half the episodes today. They decided to stretch the series by filling in the plot with a mind-numbing chick-flick soap opera. It doesn't work.

It got better once they got past the teenage heart-throb romances. Not great, but OK. I might watch the rest of the episodes.

Update: Never mind, I couldn't get past episode 6. I'm done. Back to The Wire.
Funny, my wife really liked season 6. I'll say it was similar to most of the rest of the seasons, just good enough to keep going. The whole series is very soap opera like, but the science fiction themes are very good. The one thing I'll say for season 6 is that it went in a different direction.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:20 am

josehde wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:17 am
Unbelievable on Netflix, it wasn't an easy watch. But then again, it isn't the first show this year that dealt with difficult subjects. Chernobyl and When They See Us are great but I don't think I'd want to see them again anytime soon.
Just finished this. I liked it a lot, but definitely a disturbing subject. Slow paced. The lead characters were very good and believable. They aren't running around beating people up twice their size or involved in car chase scenes. Very deliberately paced. And it was unique in how even after the case was solved it still went a couple of more episodes which made it more about the characters and a bit less about the underlying events.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:23 am

JBTX wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:55 am
abner kravitz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:51 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:22 pm
abner kravitz wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:15 am
Watched "The Spy" on Netflix. True story of an Israeli spy in the 1960s, starring the Borat guy in a serious role. It was good.
Were you able to "overcome" images of "the Borat guy" while watching him in a serious role?
I've occasionally had difficulties when an actor who was "so well known" as one character (or type) suddenly shows up in a totally different type of role. It seems with "Borat", it might be very difficult indeed. And he's done more than just "Borat", but what we've seen have all been of that "type".

RM
Yes, he was actually good and really didn't remind me of Borat or any of his other stuff.
This was a really good mini series. Based on actual historical events which I previously didn't know about. The real story is compelling just in itself. The first one or two episodes were a bit slow and corny but it quickly draws you in. Very suspenseful. Cohen (the actor, not the spy) did a fairly good job. I wouldn't say it was an emmy award winning performance but it was an entertaining character (albeit exaggerated according to living family members). The rest of the performances were very good. Also hit on some of the themes in movie Munich- everyday people going into espionage and making huge sacrifices for their country and people.
We started watching last night. It definitely starts off slow and kind of cheesy; we didn't make it through the first episode. I'm definitely interested so we'll at least get through the first two episodes.