[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jrtexas

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by jrtexas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Better Call Saul.

Langer83

Post by Langer83 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Started "Better Call Saul" a few nights ago. It's phenomenal. It's a prequel to "Breaking Bad," which is also on Netflix and is my favorite show of all time.

Topic Author
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm

pennstater2005 wrote: I'm not a fan of crime shows anymore. NCIS, Law and Order, and CSI really wore me out for years to come.
I'm glad I'm not the only one, I enjoy crime shows as much as the next person but man they are so many. To add to your list you have Criminal Minds and a new Criminal Minds something starting.

The criminal shows that are a cross with Si-Fy have been holding my interest lately, like Agents of Carter. Its does help the gal playing the lead role is drop dead gorgeous dressed up in all the 1940's outfits :wink:
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Lately we've been watching "Luther". Really well done.

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:01 pm

Four comedies:

The IT Crowd
Better Off Ted
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

OldRaj

Post by OldRaj » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:53 pm

RoC wrote:I haven't started it yet, but I'm surprised by how many people keep telling me about Making a Murderer. It's also highly rated on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5189670/
Very compelling. Extensive use of actual footage taken during the investigation and trial is impressive. My take-away is "beyond a reasonable doubt" may have taken a holiday.
If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
Professor Irwin Corey, 1914 -
"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going." | Professor Irwin Corey, 1914 -

BBBob

Post by BBBob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:34 pm

A criticism I have been reading of the Making of A Murderer is that some of the evidence was not shown. The biggest omission is that his DNA was found under the hood of her car, but the documentary fails to mention that. (I don't know the significance of that since I have not seen the documentary yet.)

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:59 pm

I liked Lilyhammer too, but it has "ended" - but you never know.

I really enjoy Maron - but that show is a matter of personal taste, especially in regards to humor.

Dexter was very good (nothing like rooting for a serial killer). Breaking Bad started out really strong but I started losing interest about 2/3rds of the way through. Can't really point the finger to why, but it happened. I watch an episode about once a month now and will complete the series.

Weeds was funny but certainly faded away the last few season - they should have ended that show earlier - but I watched to the end.

Master of None is inconsistent, one episode would be decent, then the next would not. For some reason, I thought the Parents episode was funny.

There are a lot of decent documentaries to watch. Although I didn't care for Making a Murderer since it does carefully omit (or glosses over) certain facts to persuade the audience towards the main character. He certainly is no choir boy that I would want as a neighbor.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

EvelynM

Post by EvelynM » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm

gbru316

Post by gbru316 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Trailer Park Boys. And I'm not quite sure why.

It's a mockumentary of the reality TV craze. But it's really, really, really stupid. Nonetheless, it's been my guilty pleasure.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:48 pm

Walking Dead. Parks and Rec, already mentioned but funniest show I've ever seen.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:56 pm

willie838 wrote: that's my industry.

have faith that wentworth is waaaaay closer to reality than the quarky funny oitnb.

thanks for the reminder, almost forgot they dropped season 3.

---

F is for family is a new bill burr cartoon. It'd be rated R language wise but anybody that's circa 35-55 should find it funny, i believe it's set in the early 70s.

only 6 episodes in season 1. I believe season 2 option. is about to be picked up by netflix.
Thanks for the heads up on Season 3 of Wentworth - I had no idea it was available!

I'll have to check out F is for family too.

mdelmatt

Post by mdelmatt » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:15 pm

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is very good. The Premise: Jerry Seinfeld interviewing comedians (and others); casual conversation. Sample his interview (current season opener) with Barack Obama.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:40 pm

The Heavy Water War - Resistance fighting in WWII Norway

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:14 am

F is for family stressed us out just watching the first episode. That guys voice and negative energy, no thanks.
Last edited by BW1985 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:15 am

pshonore wrote:The Heavy Water War - Resistance fighting in WWII Norway
Will need to check this out. I love WWII stuff.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:25 am

Anyone else not like Making a Murderer or at least disappointed with how skewed it is towards the defense?

It's a well done show (I'm not sure if I'm willing to call it a documentary) and the first episode was very good and upsetting. And it highlights some upsetting things about our criminal justice system. But I couldn't get past the fact that it's only telling the story from one side, it seems quite cut and edited and some things even seem scripted. I stopped watching after the episode with the defense attorney doing the (fake?) phone call about the blood in front of the camera.

fm3040

Post by fm3040 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:09 pm

Gran Hotel - It is a three season Spanish serial (with English and Spanish subtitles) set in a hotel in the fictitious town of Cantaloa (in the year 1906).

Any interesting Spanish shows on Netflix or Amazon that can help learn Spanish and get entertained at the same time?

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:53 pm

I binge-watched the following series and enjoyed them a lot:

Mad Men
Parenthood
Friday Night Lights

ArlinM

Post by ArlinM » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Two favorites that I haven't seen listed here:
Life, and Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.
The first is an offbeat cop show. The second is about a female detective in 1920's Australia.
The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Beezthree

Post by Beezthree » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 am

Qtman wrote:Twilight Zone classics, they don't make em like that anymore.
IMO, you're correct. with the exception of...
The529guy wrote:Black Mirror
21st century tech-inspired show in the vein of the twilight zone. each episode is it's own mini-movie. one of the best produced and unique TV shows i've seen in a long time.

Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 am

I'm following the serie Homeland :D Really addicting actually hehe

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Rotsevni wrote:I'm following the serie Homeland :D Really addicting actually hehe
Season 1 was the best.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm

BW1985 wrote:F is for family stressed us out just watching the first episode. That guys voice and negative energy, no thanks.
I only made it through the first five minutes. I don't mind the occasional language but that was too much for me.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

blgaarder

Post by blgaarder » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Battle Creek

For fans of British TV and Martin Clunes, check out acorn.tv

chartcab3785

Post by chartcab3785 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:24 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:Anyone else not like Making a Murderer or at least disappointed with how skewed it is towards the defense?

It's a well done show (I'm not sure if I'm willing to call it a documentary) and the first episode was very good and upsetting. And it highlights some upsetting things about our criminal justice system. But I couldn't get past the fact that it's only telling the story from one side, it seems quite cut and edited and some things even seem scripted. I stopped watching after the episode with the defense attorney doing the (fake?) phone call about the blood in front of the camera.
I watched it all and agree that it seemed pretty one sided but first few episodes were pretty good. Mother-in-law was visiting and I hoped this would be a good time sink for the family. It was. She enjoyed it.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:01 pm

knpstr wrote:FYI: Don't watch Making a Murderer unless you feel like getting disgusted with the criminal justice system.
In other words, unless you feel like being a well-informed citizen.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:05 pm

BW1985 wrote:
Rotsevni wrote:I'm following the serie Homeland :D Really addicting actually hehe
Season 1 was the best.
It got weaker in 2 and even worse in 3, but I thought 4 and 5 were great.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:09 pm

knpstr wrote:FYI: Don't watch Making a Murderer unless you feel like getting disgusted with the criminal justice system.
Anyone else not like Making a Murderer or at least disappointed with how skewed it is towards the defense?
That's true, but even though the filmmakers don't admit it (saw 'em on Charlie Rose), they clearly believe the guy is innocent - which he clearly is. (POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD) Regardless of the evidence supposedly left out, there is this: the victim was brutally murdered, by having her throat slit and/or being shot, in the bedroom and/or the garage. And yet not one droplet of her blood was found. The two guys charged are not the sharpest tools in the shed. No way they cleaned the crime scene that well. One commentator, a CSI guy, said HE couldn't have cleaned the crime scene that well.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:11 pm

I can't say enough about "Rectify". Truly unique.

And "Fargo". Season 1 was better than the movie. And season 2 was better than season 1.

Johno

Post by Johno » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:26 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
That's true, but even though the filmmakers don't admit it (saw 'em on Charlie Rose), they clearly believe the guy is innocent - which he clearly is. (POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD) Regardless of the evidence supposedly left out, there is this: the victim was brutally murdered, by having her throat slit and/or being shot, in the bedroom and/or the garage. And yet not one droplet of her blood was found. The two guys charged are not the sharpest tools in the shed. No way they cleaned the crime scene that well. One commentator, a CSI guy, said HE couldn't have cleaned the crime scene that well.
I'd also recommend the 'Investigation Discovery Front Page' series show about 'Making a Murderer'. I saw that on my cable provider's on demand feature though rather than Netflix itself. It's good to have a different professionally done perspective on the series I think. It doesn't particularly 'debunk' the series: it summarizes and reiterates many of the major points, though also points to some potentially significant parts of the evidence the series makers didn't mention, it's not really 'supposed', which are not as favorable to the defendants, though also with rebuttal by one of the defense lawyers who appeared in the series arguing that those things aren't conclusive either. I'd also say there's a difference between unfairness in the process of proving somebody guilty and the person being clearly innocent. You don't have to conclude the latter (which I don't) to find the series important as well as disturbing. I highly recommend both.

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:44 pm

My wife and I loved Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, our favorite so far.

We're finishing Sons of Anarchy, ah geez, this is just awful at the end, 4 episodes to go, we fear the worst... Gemma, you crazy crazy girl... But really well done.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:49 pm

Detectorists, hilarious BBC comedy about a couple of loser metal detectorists.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:04 pm

RustyShackleford wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Season 1 was the best.
Good to know, I only saw 1-3 and then dropped Showtime. If I get Prime I'll have to watch season 4. I'm surprised to hear it bounced back.

Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:16 pm

BW1985 wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Season 1 was the best.
Good to know, I only saw 1-3 and then dropped Showtime. If I get Prime I'll have to watch season 4. I'm surprised to hear it bounced back.
I just started with season 2 today ;-)
What is your overall review of this serie, would you recommend it?

wallygator

Post by wallygator » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:40 am

Howdy,

Didn't see LIFE ON MARS on any ones list. We loved it. Kind off off the wall but really well done and lots of great actors.

Wally

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:12 am

Rotsevni wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
RustyShackleford wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Season 1 was the best.
I just started with season 2 today ;-)
What is your overall review of this serie, would you recommend it?
Yes I thought it was a very entertaining show. As I said before Season 1 was the best, season 2 still good and season 3 not as good. I haven't seen seasons 4-5 but plan on it if/when I get Prime.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:00 am

The Killing for drama. Nurse Jackie for comedy.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

rixer

Post by rixer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 am

Person of Interest
White Collar

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:16 am

Sirens

I recently blew through both seasons of Sirens, a comedy that follows three EMTs. If you liked the show Scrubs, you will enjoy this comedy.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:42 am

My latest two favorites are "A Killing" and "Broadchurch"

Very good dramas

FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Broadchurch
The Americans
House of Cards
Homeland
Game of Thrones
Downton Abby

hoopy

Post by hoopy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:08 pm

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:28 pm

house of cards season 4 is back so that will be my fav until i get thru all of em. then off to something else.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Just recently upgraded my internet speed so I can finally stream Netflix. Still stumbling around to find things.

One thing I found is Bates Motel. I am catching up on the old episodes. New ones are being DVR'd via DirecTV but I won't watch them until I'm caught up.

I think the show really "gets" the atmosphere of Psycho. It uses camera angles (e.g. high shots from ceiling perspective) lighting and other things I can't put my finger on (not being an expert) to make the connection. Another example: one location has lots of taxidermy. One more example: a significant scene has a bathtub with a shower curtain and a body! I think Hitchcock would like it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:11 pm

FandangoDave5010 wrote:Broadchurch
The Americans
House of Cards
Homeland
Game of Thrones
Downton Abby
Interested in Homeland and Downtown but couldn't find them on Netflix.
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:49 pm

Youngblood wrote:
FandangoDave5010 wrote:Broadchurch
The Americans
House of Cards
Homeland
Game of Thrones
Downton Abby
Interested in Homeland and Downtown but couldn't find them on Netflix.
Homeland isn't on streaming but maybe they have the disks. You can find it streaming on Prime.

sesq

Post by sesq » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:11 pm

Downton is on Amazon Prime (except for the most recent, final season).

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:50 am

sesq wrote:Downton is on Amazon Prime (except for the most recent, final season).
Thank you, I just recently signed up for prime.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:47 am

EvelynM wrote:Occupied - (10 episodes)

https://netflixtvshowsreview.com/2016/0 ... n-netflix/
We started watching Occupied, currently up to episode 3. My only complaint is not understanding the language and having to turn on captions and read the lines. Seems like a very good show.
Best Wishes, SpringMan