[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by bertilak »

SpringMan wrote:
EvelynM wrote:Occupied - (10 episodes)

https://netflixtvshowsreview.com/2016/0 ... n-netflix/
We started watching Occupied, currently up to episode 3. My only complaint is not understanding the language and having to turn on captions and read the lines. Seems like a very good show.
Is this DVD or streaming?

I cannot get captioning with streaming. I am hoping there is some option I missed!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

... My only complaint is not understanding the language and having to turn on captions and read the lines. Seems like a very good show.

I cannot get captioning with streaming. I am hoping there is some option I missed![/quote]
Last edited by bertilak on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

bertilak wrote: I cannot get captioning with streaming. I am hoping there is some option I missed!
This might depend on what device you use for streaming, but it is definitely possible to turn on captioning with Netflix streaming.

This link might help: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/372

I use captions all the time - they help greatly even with nominally English-language programs where the speakers have thick accents (e.g. northern England or Scotland).

On the other hand, I haven't found a way to enable captioning with Amazon Prime.
Last edited by Bungo on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

i watched haute cuisine, a french movie about the personal chef of francois mitterand, streamed over netflix last weekend and used the english subtitles.

used roku, not at home so can't check it, but i just pulled up the movie on my laptop and at the bottom of screen on the info bar there are 2 boxes on the right. one box is full screen, the other is the subtitle option box.
Last edited by miles monroe on Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

bertilak wrote:... My only complaint is not understanding the language and having to turn on captions and read the lines. Seems like a very good show.

cannot get captioning with streaming. I am hoping there is some option I missed
Streaming via a Roku. Turning on and off captions is one of the options. Roku also allows captions with Amazon Prime.

edit: correction- Even though Netflix allows captions in general. The captions I am seeing in "Occupied" are only seen when Norwegian is spoken, not when English is spoken. Normally captions on will show when English is spoken. This series behaves differently.
Last edited by SpringMan on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
kazper

Post by kazper »

So many to list!

The Office- only started enjoying this when it was on netflix. Takes a while to get used to (think early Seinfeld episodes). Later seasons had better pacing IMO.

Scrubs- always loved it

Izombie- only watched a few episodes, but good so far

Mysteries of Laura- good, newer show starring Debra Messing. Can't wait for season 2!

Law and Order- any franchise

Bones

Sherlock

Star wars:clone wars (and I'm not even a big star wars fan!)

Chuck- nerd turned spy

Soap (when it was on Netflix)

Veronica Mars (on Amazon Prime)

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Plenty more waiting in queue.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Bungo wrote:
bertilak wrote: I cannot get captioning with streaming. I am hoping there is some option I missed!
This might depend on what device you use for streaming, but it is definitely possible to turn on captioning with Netflix streaming.

I use captions all the time - they help greatly even with nominally English-language programs where the speakers have thick accents (e.g. northern England or Scotland).

On the other hand, I haven't found a way to enable captioning with Amazon Prime.
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately those instructions don't work for me. I don't see the option they say to use. The last of the instructions apply to me, I think:
Note: If you are unable to complete the steps above, subtitles are not supported on your device.
I have an older Sony Blu-ray.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

bertilak wrote:
Bungo wrote:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately those instructions don't work for me. I don't see the option they say to use. The last of the instructions apply to me, I think:
Note: If you are unable to complete the steps above, subtitles are not supported on your device.
I have an older Sony Blu-ray.
Consider getting a roku 3. On sale at Best buy for $89. reg is $99.
Wiki
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

My wife watches Netflix on the weekend more than I do, but some of her favorites are:

Hawaii Five-Oh (the newer one, not the original)
When Calls The Heart (Hallmark Channel drama)
Star Trek (original series)
Star Trek Voyager
House (medical drama)
Midsomer Murders (British murder mysteries)
Frasier (comedy)
Hart of Dixie (comedy)
Eureka (scifi)
Bones (crime drama)
Sherlock (British modern remake with Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes)
White Collar (drama)
The West Wing (drama)
M*A*S*H (comedy/drama)
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
marathonwmn

Post by marathonwmn »

Currently watching 2 episodes per night of the new season of House of Cards.

Just finished watching all the episodes of Longmire
The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

New Shows:
House of Cards
Blacklist

Older Shows on Netflix:
NCIS
MASH
Star Trek Voyager
Firefly
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Wolf Hall -- Six part mini-series from BBC. Historical drama of court life in 1500-1538 England. So good!
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

just finished house of cards; great season.

currrently watching unbreakable kimmie schmit starring ellie kemper previously of the office.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I can recommend "The Guardian" there are 3 seasons, 22 episodes per season, on Amazon free with Prime. It is about lawyers, almost as good as "The Good Wife" my favorite lawyer show.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285370/
Last edited by SpringMan on Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Longmire, SCRUBS!

Also, do yourself a favor if you have Amazon Prime and watch Man in the High Castle
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
I Palindrome I

Post by I Palindrome I »

Star Trek: Deep Space 9. I'm binge-watching, which for me means I'll get through the 176 episodes (7 seasons) in 2-3 years. After that, I promised myself Breaking Bad. I can only deal with one non-current show at a time.

edit to add: That's not entirely true... I've started watching Archer on Hulu when I need something shorter and less serious to watch, such as late in the evening when I should have already gone to bed.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I just finished the current season of House of Cards. I continue to enjoy it and wonder where it will go.

I watched the first few episodes of Mad Men when the show first ran on TV. I didn't like it then and stopped watching. I decided to give it another try on Netflix and have been watching 2 to 4 episodes a day for the last several days. I'm approaching the end of season 1. So much to assimilate about this portrayal of the 60's in NY.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

aaronb wrote:Star Trek: Deep Space 9. I'm binge-watching, which for me means I'll get through the 176 episodes (7 seasons) in 2-3 years. After that, I promised myself Breaking Bad. I can only deal with one non-current show at a time.

edit to add: That's not entirely true... I've started watching Archer on Hulu when I need something shorter and less serious to watch, such as late in the evening when I should have already gone to bed.
You might want to check out the BBC Classic Blake's 7. Clunky sets (1980 production) but some really good characterization. A handful of fugitives take on the totalitarian Federation and its leader, Servalan (Jacqueline Pierce in an unforgettable role).

In tone and atmosphere the closest things to DS9 are Babylon 5, Blake's 7 (which kind of inspired them all) and perhaps Battlestar Galactica (the remake). Terry Nation (B7 creator) also wrote some classic Tom Baker Dr. Who episodes.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bertilak wrote:
SpringMan wrote:

We started watching Occupied, currently up to episode 3. My only complaint is not understanding the language and having to turn on captions and read the lines. Seems like a very good show.

I cannot get captioning with streaming. I am hoping there is some option I missed!
Occupied gets stellar reviews here (UK).

And if you like that, The Heavy Water War aka The Saboteurs. A miniseries about the efforts to sabotage a Norwegian Heavy Water refinery (atomic research) during WW2 (see also Kirk Douglas Heroes of Telemark).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

wallygator wrote:Howdy,

Didn't see LIFE ON MARS on any ones list. We loved it. Kind off off the wall but really well done and lots of great actors.

Wally
Was there an American remake?

The British original was fabulous. And so was its sequel (Ashes to Ashes?).
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

I hope I am not understating my love for Archer when I say that it is not only the funniest show that has ever been on television but the single greatest creation by man in human history.

Bloodline was awesome but I don't think season 2 can keep up with what season 1 was - felt more like a mini-series.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Just got finished with Happy Valley. It's BBC,so subtitles are needed.
Now I'm trying Top Boy. BBC. Drug dealers in a housing project in London. First episode was good. There are only 4 or 6.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Valuethinker wrote:
wallygator wrote:Howdy,

Didn't see LIFE ON MARS on any ones list. We loved it. Kind off off the wall but really well done and lots of great actors.

Wally
Was there an American remake?

The British original was fabulous. And so was its sequel (Ashes to Ashes?).
The American remake ran only one season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on_M ... _series%29
Gordon
FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime »

I just started watching Monarch of the Glen. Set in Scotland, it's the trials of a family that has lived on a huge estate for generations, but running out of money. Humor and nice scenery. Based on the Highland Novels by Compton Mackenzie.There are several seasons available.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Princess Bride is now on Netflix. My wife, surprisingly, had never seen it before. It's now her favorite movie. "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Also, the second season of Bloodline starts May 27. Yay!
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

jrtexas wrote:Just got finished with Happy Valley. It's BBC,so subtitles are needed.
2 nations divided by a common language ;-). You mean it's set in Texas, so subtitles are needed ;-). "Muy bad" had me baffled for months ;-).

I don't generally find Yorkshire difficult (living in London) although they drop the definite articles ("go to house" not "go to the house", for example). Glasgow? Newcastle? *I* need subtitles ;-).
Now I'm trying Top Boy. BBC. Drug dealers in a housing project in London. First episode was good. There are only 4 or 6.
Sarf (south) London street slang on a Council Estate (a mixture of South London English and Afro-Carribean) can be impenetrable, even to those of us who live there ;-).

Don't talk to me about The Wire ;-) (Baltimore street talk).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Nicolas wrote:Wolf Hall -- Six part mini-series from BBC. Historical drama of court life in 1500-1538 England. So good!
And more of Mark Rylance, who won the Oscar for "Bridge of Spies" ;-).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bertilak wrote:
SpringMan wrote:

As my hearing fades, I need captions for * a lot* of shows. My dear mother needs them for every show.

Just as Kindle opened up a whole market of books (I just couldn't handle the font size on a lot of paperbacks) so too close captioning.

It's part of adjusting to an aging market. One of the big design companies (now an electronics firm, appliance maker or a car maker?) has created a "suit" with extra thick fingers, goggles, earplugs, that their young designers have to wear when trying to design products for us 50+s. They hate it, of course. No one asked us of course if we would volunteer to be so disposed ;-).

When I sit next to these kids with the thrashing music on the earbuds on their phones, I know that I am only the bleeding edge of a tidal wave ...
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Valuethinker wrote:
bertilak wrote:
SpringMan wrote:

As my hearing fades, I need captions for * a lot* of shows. My dear mother needs them for every show.
Part of the adventure!

By the way, I ditched my old Blu-ray player for a newer model (Sony BDP-BXS70 from Costco) and it handles CC just fine! The new model is also MUCH more robust with its streaming. No more stutters and pauses for buffering. It also cost less than half of my previous model. I now use Netflix streaming a lot. Also Amazon occasionally.

So, here are some of the Netflix shows I have been watching. Must be my favorites because I have just started using Netflix streaming and haven't seen much else yet ...
  • Caught up with the older Bates Motel episodes. Vera Farmiga (Norma Bates, the mother) is THE star of this show but all are quite good. Freddie Highmore as Norman is quite convincing in his transformation (with Mother's help) from an admittedly troubled teenager into the very troubled Norman Bates we are familiar with. This is why the common phrase is NOT "Mother knows best!" Sheriff Romero, Emma and Dylan deserve special notice.
  • Just starting Bletchley Circle. I have always been interested in WWII SOE stuff and this show is post WWII (1952?) where four women code breakers from Bletchley Park get involved with solving crimes using the skills they developed in their war-time jobs.
  • Going through ALL the David Suchet Poirot stuff. 70 or more shows. Only on the 4th or 5th so far. As good as I remembered. The dialog between Poirot and his regualr associates (Captain Hastings, Inspector Japp, Miss Lemon) is endearing (I think that's the best word).

Sample Poirot-Japp dialog (paraphrased). Poirot wants to talk to one of the forensic technicians.
    Japp: I can't give you his name. He is very busy. Besides with all the new scientific techniques, soon no one will need the likes of old-fashioned detectives.
    Poirot: Ah, my dear Japp. There is ONE thing science doesn't have that we do: camaraderie.
    Japp (after a pause): OK Poirot, his name is ...
Last edited by bertilak on Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Valuethinker wrote:
jrtexas wrote:Just got finished with Happy Valley. It's BBC,so subtitles are needed.
2 nations divided by a common language ;-). You mean it's set in Texas, so subtitles are needed ;-). "Muy bad" had me baffled for months ;-).

I don't generally find Yorkshire difficult (living in London) although they drop the definite articles ("go to house" not "go to the house", for example). Glasgow? Newcastle? *I* need subtitles ;-).
Sarf (south) London street slang on a Council Estate (a mixture of South London English and Afro-Carribean) can be impenetrable, even to those of us who live there ;-).

Don't talk to me about The Wire ;-) (Baltimore street talk).
Damn good show. But why do they only have 4 episodes?
kazper

Post by kazper »

SpringMan wrote:I can recommend "The Guardian" there are 3 seasons, 22 episodes per season, on Amazon free with Prime. It is about lawyers, almost as good as "The Good Wife" my favorite lawyer show.
If you like the guardian check out the mentalist. Not available for streaming, but maybe through your library. Stars the same guy. He is an ex "mind reader" after his wife and son are murdered. He is super smart and uses his skills to help the detectives solve crimes and track down the person who killed his family
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Valuethinker wrote:
Nicolas wrote:Wolf Hall -- Six part mini-series from BBC. Historical drama of court life in 1500-1538 England. So good!
And more of Mark Rylance, who won the Oscar for "Bridge of Spies" ;-).
A fine actor.
Blu-Wolf

Post by Blu-Wolf »

Since I like documentaries, I often will look for that type of stuff on Netflix first and foremost. Then its on to TV series' that are way too expensive to buy on dvd/blu-ray at this time for me.

So right now, its:

- Kitchen Nightmares
- Star Trek, the Next Generation
- Law and Order SVU
- PBS documentaries
- some Disney films
^Blu-Wolf^
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

The Fall, Season 2 with Gillian Anderson. Serial killer drama. Wish someone would pick up Jo Nesbo's Inspector Harry Hole. Norwegian grisly killer series much like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Turn.
cogitan

Post by cogitan »

If you like murder mysteries, Death in Paradise is pretty good.
Love the locale. 8-)
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

Ozark premiered today on Netflix. I've watched 2 episodes and it seems pretty good. The main character (Jason Bateman) plays a financial planner who launders money for the cartel.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Orange is the New Black
Rectify
Hostages
Jane the Virgin
Shetland
Rake
Mossad 101
Call the Midwife
Broadchurch
Happy Valley
Hinterland
Life
Doc Martin
Jessica Jones
The Crown

Many of these I watched on a DVD I borrowed from my library; however, my library usually is a year behind in obtaining the DVD; that is, a year before Netflix runs the series season. I do like to watch the DVDs from my library, because frequently they have interesting special features.

I'd especially like to recommend Jane the Virgin. It is so good. You need to watch the first several episodes to get a feel for the series, though. Stick with it.
Gordon
Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me »

Just finished Leverage. My wife and I loved it, I also like The Ranch. its a Netflix original currently on its 3rd? season its hilarious but caution for profanity.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

The 105 best movies on Netflix right now:
https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/best-movies-netflix/
  • 1) Boyhood
    2) Zodiac
    3) Full Metal Jacket
    4) Chasing Amy
    5) Million Dollar Baby (2004)
    6) The Sixth Sense
    7) Schindler’s List
    8) Inglourious Basterds
    9) Moana
    10) The Shining
    105) Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I'm in general underwhelmed by Netflix's selection and quality despite their huge bump in original productions, but I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised by these two that I completely expected to underwhelm:

- GLOW - I only gave this one a chance after the reviews were almost all positive online, so I watched the first episode, and found that it won me over pretty quickly. I'm not a wrestling fan in the slightest, and I actually didn't feel like rooting for the main character at all, but it was really well paced and entertaining. Marc maron the podcaster is in it, and I hadn't seem him act before - he's plays the rough-edged coach absolutely perfectly. I actually think he's a much better actor than podcaster now!

- Santa Clarita Diet - The 2 leads (Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant) aren't actors or the type of actor that I would expect to like (I actually was bored by Justified with Olyphant and lost interest after season 1) but they have a great goofy team chemistry in this offball and even a bit juvenile (but funny to me) comedy. The supporting cast is surprisingly good - the nerdboy in this show is fantastic!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

SpringMan wrote:I can recommend "The Guardian" there are 3 seasons, 22 episodes per season, on Amazon free with Prime. It is about lawyers, almost as good as "The Good Wife" my favorite lawyer show.
We watched this on television years ago and again on Netflix. This was Simon Baker's first big show before The Mentalist. Dabney Coleman had a good supporting role as his Father. I liked the show and always felt it could have gone longer. Not sure why it ended.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

If you like British history, The Crown is excellent. Season 2 coming in the fall.
ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor »

I enjoyed Bates Motel.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

For something a bit different, here are two animated series which are entertaining and smartly written:

1. Archer
2. Bob's Burgers
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Ketawa wrote:I don't think I can commit to watching Making a Murderer. ...I doubt I'm going to get anything more out of Making a Murderer to make it worth 10 hours of my time just to get outraged, when there are so many other quality shows on my list to watch like Friday Night Lights. I read lots of articles about the miscarriage of justice at least weekly, if not daily. I'm open to people trying to convince me otherwise though...
Friday Night Lights was pretty good when it was about football. After a while it just turned into a high school soap opera, and fast-forwarding through episodes got tiring. Just my opinion.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
acanthurus

Post by acanthurus »

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Invest4lt wrote:For something a bit different, here are two animated series which are entertaining and smartly written:

1. Archer
2. Bob's Burgers
Agree with this. However, the same voice actor does the lead character for each show. I watched Bob's Burgers first and it took me something like 2 seasons to finally get use to it! I mean, you're going from a burger cook to a super agent. It would've been weird no matter which one I watched first.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Some shows I've been enjoying recently:

- Poirot (for some reason they yanked the first six seasons before I had finished them, but they do still have seasons 7-13).
- Bloodline
- Rake
- Better Call Saul
- Happy Valley
- Luther
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

pennstater2005 wrote:
Invest4lt wrote:For something a bit different, here are two animated series which are entertaining and smartly written:

1. Archer
2. Bob's Burgers
Agree with this. However, the same voice actor does the lead character for each show. I watched Bob's Burgers first and it took me something like 2 seasons to finally get use to it! I mean, you're going from a burger cook to a super agent. It would've been weird no matter which one I watched first.
Yes, good point. There's a crossover show (Season 4, Episode 1 of Archer) in which Archer becomes Bob. Not one of my favorite episodes, though, probably because it's weird to be a super agent burger cook, as you point out.
"People sometimes fail to live because they are always preparing to live." - Alan Watts