[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:46 am Sorry for the hijack.
I, for one, didn’t mind it and appreciate the recommendations for shows. There are family members I might understand better from watching the shows.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf »

After completing Ozark, Last Tango in Halifax, Atypical, and Tiger King, we're now watching Indian Matchmaking... surprisingly entertaining! All on Netflix.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2018 | currently ~64/33/3 (partially sliced and diced, with a slowly rising equity glide path)
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

sleepysurf wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 am After completing Ozark, Last Tango in Halifax, Atypical, and Tiger King, we're now watching Indian Matchmaking.. surprisingly entertaining! All on Netfllx.
I went from scoffing to hoping for a second season of Indian Matchmaking. Very entertaining indeed.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

yolli71 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 am Snowfall on Hulu (it's an FX show). I'm in the middle of Season 2 and think this show is excellent! It takes place in the early 80s and is about the start of the crack cocaine epidemic in LA. It's directed by John Singleton and has that Boyz n the Hood kind of feel too it.

Also, I just finished Zero Zero Zero on Amazon Prime and thought that show was extremely well done...another show about the drug trade but it comes from 3 different viewpoints that are all linked together (Mexicans, Americans, Italians). The cinematography is beautiful.
Thanks for the recommend on ZZZ... Just started first 2 episodes and it is a very good series, if you like cartel plotlines.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 am
sleepysurf wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:40 am After completing Ozark, Last Tango in Halifax, Atypical, and Tiger King, we're now watching Indian Matchmaking.. surprisingly entertaining! All on Netfllx.
I went from scoffing to hoping for a second season of Indian Matchmaking. Very entertaining indeed.
No judgement, wife and I have binged two seasons of "90-Day Fiance" in the last few weeks. I generally refuse to watch anything remotely like this, but my brother told me the trainwrecks were too catastrophic to look away. He was correct.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:48 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:57 am
No judgement, wife and I have binged two seasons of "90-Day Fiance" in the last few weeks. I generally refuse to watch anything remotely like this, but my brother told me the trainwrecks were too catastrophic to look away. He was correct.
Hahaha! Caught me! My personal guiltiest pleasure was watching Pillow Talk on 90 Day Fiancé, where previous 90 day characters watch the latest episode and comment on the goings on. META!
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Just finished Dark season 1 (Netflix). The dubbing is awful, but the script, acting, and production make up for it. If you combined a soap opera with Lost, and sprinkle some Donnie Darko in there, with more planning and thought, you'd come up with this series.
Last edited by Kagord on Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm in the middle of Riverdale Season 3, on Netflix. At this point, the series has turned into a teen fantasy soap opera. It's still interesting, but has enough twists and drama to keep me watching.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
queso

Post by queso »

Kagord wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 am Just finished Dark season 1 (Netflix). The dubbing is awful, but the script, acting, and production make up for it. If you combined a soap opera with Lost, and sprinkle some Donnie Darko in there, with more planning and thought, you'd come up with this series.
I just started it and am through episode 2. I totally agree on the dubbing. I am trying to persevere in spite of it since I have heard such good things about the show. We also recently finished Godless and that was excellent.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

queso wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 am
Kagord wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 am Just finished Dark season 1 (Netflix). The dubbing is awful, but the script, acting, and production make up for it. If you combined a soap opera with Lost, and sprinkle some Donnie Darko in there, with more planning and thought, you'd come up with this series.
I just started it and am through episode 2. I totally agree on the dubbing. I am trying to persevere in spite of it since I have heard such good things about the show. We also recently finished Godless and that was excellent.
I watched it in German with English subtitles. I prefer that to bad dubbing.
queso

Post by queso »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 am
I was thinking about doing the same..
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Finished all 3 seasons of Dark. Agree on the dubbing, but overall a good show. Season 3 started to get kind of out there and convoluted but fortunately it it wrapped itself up by the end of the season, which I am assuming was the series finale.
blacklab

Post by blacklab »

Rewatching (binging) The Sopranos. HBO recently released a 10 minute YouTube video called The Sopranos Dictionary which I found pretty entertaining and which succeeded in getting us to rewatch. Of course it is all part of promoting new streaming services,
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

Capsu78 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 pm
yolli71 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 am Snowfall on Hulu (it's an FX show). I'm in the middle of Season 2 and think this show is excellent! It takes place in the early 80s and is about the start of the crack cocaine epidemic in LA. It's directed by John Singleton and has that Boyz n the Hood kind of feel too it.

Also, I just finished Zero Zero Zero on Amazon Prime and thought that show was extremely well done...another show about the drug trade but it comes from 3 different viewpoints that are all linked together (Mexicans, Americans, Italians). The cinematography is beautiful.
Thanks for the recommend on ZZZ... Just started first 2 episodes and it is a very good series, if you like cartel plotlines.
Yeah it really is a great show...it seemed to kind of fall under the radar for some reason, but the acting is superb and it's an intense show.

I'm now watching I'll Be Gone in the Dark on HBO about the Golden State Killer. Another excellent HBO show/documentary.
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

staustin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm yellowstone, at the wife's request.... she'd leave me for Rip, no question.
Great show, I highly recommend, we are watching Series 1 and 2 in Peacock TV.

Do can we watch the Series 3 ?
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Also started Mr. Robot, 2 episodes in, I was expecting some dumb hacker series, like what a major network would have. Well, it's not that. Not sure what to think about it, there's definitely some silliness in the script with the hacker group and Evil corp, and references to all sorts of things like Taxi Driver (you talking to me and there's no one else in the subway train), not sure I'll make it through, but I'll give it a go for a few more.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

"20 feet from Stardom" documentary on Netflix- very enjoyable look at the genesis of the back up singer in pop and rock music. A good number of accomplished musicians talking about the contributions of the voices on the side of the stage.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I've been enjoying Hamish Macbeth on Amazon Prime. Just stumbled on it by accident.
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

confusedinvestor wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:32 pm
staustin wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:08 pm yellowstone, at the wife's request.... she'd leave me for Rip, no question.
Great show, I highly recommend, we are watching Series 1 and 2 in Peacock TV.

Where can we watch the Series 3 ?
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Cop series - very well done
1. Line of Duty (UK) 4 seasons
2. Spiral (French) 6 seasons
3. The Missing (International) 2 seasons

4. False Flag (Israeli) 2 seasons
5. Prisoners of War (Israeli)

All great series.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:31 pm I've been enjoying Hamish Macbeth on Amazon Prime. Just stumbled on it by accident.
That show is based on the Hamish Macbeth series of books by M.C, Beaton (pseudonym of Marion Chesney) who died Dec 31, 2019.

I read the books before stumbling on the TV show myself! The books are better as mysteries and better at character development, but the TV show has its own charms.

Beaton did not like the TV show. (I liked it.) She thought it was a poor adaptation of her Hamish books. As a matter of fact, she "got back at" the TV show in one of her later books, Death of a Scriptwriter. If you are going to read the books, start with the earliest. I think they are the best.

Another series of mysteries by her is the Agatha Raisin series which now has its own TV adaptation. I have not read any of those books.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

I have enjoyed the “Perry Mason” reboot on HBO, though it is definitely dark. Acting is phenomenal.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

schachtw wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:10 pm Cop series - very well done
1. Line of Duty (UK) 4 seasons
2. Spiral (French) 6 seasons
3. The Missing (International) 2 seasons

4. False Flag (Israeli) 2 seasons
5. Prisoners of War (Israeli)

All great series.
Thanks! Nice list per my tastes... added them all.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:27 am I'm in the middle of Riverdale Season 3, on Netflix. At this point, the series has turned into a teen fantasy soap opera. It's still interesting, but has enough twists and drama to keep me watching.
Agree. I'm just glad all the gargoyle stuff is over. Have about 3 episodes left. It's funny how they throw in elements of other popular movies/themes such as Silence of the Lambs, dungeons and dragons etc.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm a few episodes into Season 4. All I'll say is that it just turned into a total fantasy soap opera. The plots twist yet again.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
batpot

Post by batpot »

25 year later, 3rd Season of Twin Peaks.
It was...OK. Had some great moments, was way more soap opera-ish than I recall from the original, and wrapped up way too quickly.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I'm back to Life on Mars (british version). Years ago I saw it on some cable station (?) but then it was gone and I never saw season 2 (the final one). There was some American version that I didn't think was very good and only saw maybe 1 episode.

Anyhow I'm not sure if I want to invest the time to watch both seasons. I might just skip to the end to see what is really going on. It was from 2006.

There are a ton of good British mysteries/detective shows out there. My only complaint with them is that I need more comedy/escapism in 2020.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I will also confess to watching some of the various 90-day fiance/fiancee programs.

Calling the programs train wrecks seems to understate these wretched soul's hopes/games.

I found an old TV program starring Gene Barry, as Bat Masterson. Black and White, filmed in 1958 IIRC.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

"Yellowstone".......already watched Season #1 and #2.

Been watching Season # 3 on Paramount Network.....only two episodes remaining for Season 3............soooooooooo

oooooo...........we started watching Season #1......first three episodes. Wow...can't believe the stuff we missed the first time around. Will be watching Season #2 and # 3 again.........GREAT SHOW! :sharebeer
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:16 am
That's actually a much better way to watch any show. In the original language with subtitles.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I've been struggling to find anything I want to watch. Finally landed on The Shield on Hulu, originally from Fx about 15 years ago. Basically the cop version of Sons of Anarchy. Enjoying so far. I had seen some episodes originally when it aired but not most of them.

When Yellowstone s3 is done I'll binge it on Prime.
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 pm
I'm looking forward to Yellowstone S3

Any idea when it will be available on prime ?

I see i can buy each episode for $3 but not all 6 episodes are uploaded yet, I dont have a TV provider to watch it directly from Paramount Pictures online.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We stumbled across "The Worricker Trilogy" (viewed on Amazon Prime, IIRC), a British 3-part series about an MI5 spy who runs into trouble, and needs to leave town...

It was a bit odd, and at times seemed to be more slow-moving than warranted. However, something about it captured our attention, and we never considered not viewing all of it.

There is a very interesting cast.

After that, we decided to start the "Maigret" series, with Michael Gambon (who had a brief role at the start of "The Worricker Trilogy").

We are really enjoying "Maigret"... the setting, and especially much of the conversation, and of course, Michael Gambon.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 am We are really enjoying "Maigret"... the setting, and especially much of the conversation, and of course, Michael Gambon.
I saw this quite a few years ago. I remember it as being quite good. I see it can be streamed on Britbox so will add it to my list. Thanks for pointing it out.

I recently watched the Rowan Atkinson version and was very surprised at how good it was. Atkinson has real acting chops -- way beyond his Mr. Bean character.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 am We are really enjoying "Maigret"... the setting, and especially much of the conversation, and of course, Michael Gambon.
I saw this quite a few years ago. I remember it as being quite good. I see it can be streamed on Britbox so will add it to my list. Thanks for pointing it out.

I recently watched the Rowan Atkinson version and was very surprised at how good it was. Atkinson has real acting chops -- way beyond his Mr. Bean character.
Thanks - I didn't know of Atkinson's Maigret.
Are these based on the same/similar story lines, or on new plots?
And this just took me to Wikipedia, where I learned a *lot* about Simenon, including how very prolific he was.
His printed work could take me through the entire pandemic (I hope it isn't longer than that :shock: ).

I wish Gambon had been in more episodes. Turns out there aren't that many, alas.
But there will be the Atkinson versions next.

Thanks again!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

confusedinvestor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:31 am
JBTX wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 pm
I'm looking forward to Yellowstone S3

Any idea when it will be available on prime ?

I see i can buy each episode for $3 but not all 6 episodes are uploaded yet, I dont have a TV provider to watch it directly from Paramount Pictures online.
It looks like you can buy a season for $20. We get it on directv so perhaps I'll watch that, but I can't use my headphones
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I just started a month-long trial of Amazon Prime and watched the pilot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, about which I've heard many good things. So far, so good.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Finishing "Ozark" season 3. Very good.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Also watching "Hunting Hitler" on Amazon which is a History Channel program. Three seasons and I have a couple of episodes remaining. Very interesting and powerful. Honestly makes the viewer wonder.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Endeavour Season 7 on PBS. Early years of Inspector Morse. It's only 3 episodes for season 7.

I enjoy it. Have watched Endeavour since it began.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Another series that just finished and I enjoyed is The Alienist: Angel of Darkness. Very dark and violent. Takes place in New York in the waning years of the 1800s.
Last edited by AlwaysaQ on Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Just ran across an older (2015?) British cop show called "Cuffs". I believe there was only one season. Unlike most Brit police procedurals, this one doesn't focus the whole season on trying to find "whodunnit" for one major crime. It follows a few teams of cops on their daily rounds; some of the cases become intertwined, others don't. It also delves into the personal lives/relationships of these less-than-perfect police. Although it's not a comedy, there are a number of humorous moments so it's not nearly as dark as some crime series. We found it on Amazon. I'd give it a B+.
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

friar1610 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am Just ran across an older (2015?) British cop show called "Cuffs". I believe there was only one season. Unlike most Brit police procedurals, this one doesn't focus the whole season on trying to find "whodunnit" for one major crime. It follows a few teams of cops on their daily rounds; some of the cases become intertwined, others don't. It also delves into the personal lives/relationships of these less-than-perfect police. Although it's not a comedy, there are a number of humorous moments so it's not nearly as dark as some crime series. We found it on Amazon. I'd give it a B+.
I'm watching this now. Totally agree with friar1610's assessment.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

rterickson wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:19 am
friar1610 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am Just ran across an older (2015?) British cop show called "Cuffs". I believe there was only one season. Unlike most Brit police procedurals, this one doesn't focus the whole season on trying to find "whodunnit" for one major crime. It follows a few teams of cops on their daily rounds; some of the cases become intertwined, others don't. It also delves into the personal lives/relationships of these less-than-perfect police. Although it's not a comedy, there are a number of humorous moments so it's not nearly as dark as some crime series. We found it on Amazon. I'd give it a B+.
I'm watching this now. Totally agree with friar1610's assessment.
This sounds like American show "Southland", set in Southern Cal. It was a very good show, ran several seasons then canceled.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Just finished up "Perry Mason". Recommended.

Now it's time for the annual summer descent into "Big Brother".
A_Bond

Post by A_Bond »

Started Farscape a week or so ago. I've made it through about half of the first season so far.
buy. hold. repeat.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Binged watched recently all 7 seasons of "Alone." Now up to date and just two episodes left on Season 7 on the History channel. This is the most riverting survival reality series I've seen thus far, on several levels.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ChrisC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:29 pm Binged watched recently all 7 seasons of "Alone." Now up to date and just two episodes left on Season 7 on the History channel. This is the most riverting survival reality series I've seen thus far, on several levels.
One of our favorite shows. Wish they had all the seasons on Hulu.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:34 pm
ChrisC wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:29 pm Binged watched recently all 7 seasons of "Alone." Now up to date and just two episodes left on Season 7 on the History channel. This is the most riverting survival reality series I've seen thus far, on several levels.
One of our favorite shows. Wish they had all the seasons on Hulu.
We struggled to binge watch this: Seasons 1 and 2 are on Amazon Prime. And then I think between Netflix and Hulu, Seasons 3-6 are available. We found out about Alone during Season 7 and were fortunate to find out that DirecTV on Demand carried Season 7 (and actually all prior Seasons) but you can't fast forward or rewind on Demand.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Finished 3 seasons of "Kingdom". About a father who owns an MMA gym and his two sons. More about family than MMA so even if you're not into MMA you may like it. Highly recommend!