[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
manatee2005

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by manatee2005 »

bengal22 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:44 pm Started watching Schitts Creek on Netflix. Halfway through no season 3. It is fantastic and curb your enthusiasm funny. So many funny characters. Funniest show on television.
Thanks, will check it out now!
youngpleb

Post by youngpleb »

I finished The Queen's Gambit today on Netflix (short series). I thought it had a very strong start, but the last couple episodes kind of lost some steam. Still a good series though, especially if you like chess.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Have any 90s kids been watching the Animaniacs reboot? How is it?
matti

Post by matti »

I started watching the new season of Curse of Oak Island today. I'm also enjoying Ghost Adventures: Screaming Room, Destination Fear, The Holzer Files, and Fear the Woods.
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:49 pm Have any 90s kids been watching the Animaniacs reboot? How is it?
I was a huge fan of Animaniacs (though I'm not a 90's kid--I was in my 20's at the time lol) and I've found the reboot to be... ok. I don't think it really brings anything new, and it's just sort of anachronistic and unnecessary. Pop culture and celebrity culture have changed so much in the past 25 years and I'm not sure that trying to redo the same type of satirical treatment really works.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

The Flight Attendant with Kaley Cuoco (Big Bang Theory) on HBO Max. It's a six part mini-series based on a novel of a few years ago. I don't recommend either the book or the series. The series had wide coverage in yesterday's WSJ and NYT. Cuoco is listed as an executive producer.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Blues wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:22 am Suspected that I would find "Yellowstone" not for me, (actually us),...but I wasn't prepared for just how bad it is...

Every character is a caricature of a caricature. They'd have to move up a peg or two to be simply cookie cutter.

That was a half episode's worth of time, (including commercials), I'll never get back. :oops:
wow, I'm really enjoying Yellowstone.
Blues

Post by Blues »

theplayer11 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:21 am
Blues wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:22 am Suspected that I would find "Yellowstone" not for me, (actually us),...but I wasn't prepared for just how bad it is...

Every character is a caricature of a caricature. They'd have to move up a peg or two to be simply cookie cutter.

That was a half episode's worth of time, (including commercials), I'll never get back. :oops:
Guess I should have added YMMV. :beer
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Something I'm really looking forward to: In ‘Your Honor,’ a New Orleans Judge Breaks Bad [NY Times]

From IMDB: Your Honor
Bryan Cranston stars as a judge confronting his convictions when his son is involved in a hit and run that embroils an organized crime family. He faces impossible choices and discovers how far a father will go to save his son's life.
Coming Sunday December 6th to Showtime.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Although not a recent offering we are watching Fargo. Finishing up season 2. Quirky but enjoyable.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Conch55 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:57 pm Although not a recent offering we are watching Fargo. Finishing up season 2. Quirky but enjoyable.
Season 1-3 are fabulous. We can't really get into season 4.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 pm Dark - Season 2 - Netflix

About half through. Frustrating, confusing, but entertaining series. Frustrating in that it comes off as a bit contrived, with the characters continuing to make dire but vague pronouncements and seemingly just barely moving the plot forward one small bit at a time. Confusing at times because they jump around a lot and by the time you figure out the who/when of a particular scene, they quickly move on - and then you have to try and figure how the who/when all over again. Still - they draw you in and you want to find out what how it all ends.
This was my favorite show I've seen this year. It's easy to get lost if you're not paying attention (and I mean constant attention - there really isn't much filler), but I thought it was fantastic.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I just started Season 7 of Wentworth, on Netflix. I hope Season 8 is as good as what I've watched so far.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Blues

Post by Blues »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:29 pm I just started Season 7 of Wentworth, on Netflix. I hope Season 8 is as good as what I've watched so far.
We're halfway through season 2. The constant twists and turns boggle the mind. :oops:
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:05 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:29 pm I just started Season 7 of Wentworth, on Netflix. I hope Season 8 is as good as what I've watched so far.
We're halfway through season 2. The constant twists and turns boggle the mind. :oops:
We really enjoyed it for a few seasons. Then, what we perceived as lazy writing became more pronounced. I don’t remember exactly where we dropped off, but it was quite a while ago.

So far, not tired of the series (not film) Get Shorty on HBO via Amazon.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:09 pm
We really enjoyed it for a few seasons. Then, what we perceived as lazy writing became more pronounced. I don’t remember exactly where we dropped off, but it was quite a while ago.

So far, not tired of the series (not film) Get Shorty on HBO via Amazon.
Yeah, I can definitely see that as a potential issue...

I read "Get Shorty" and saw the movie, I'll have to give the series a look. Forgot that there was one.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

I'd say it keeps gets better with an epic end of S07 then another "cliffhanger" at the end of S08 to make us all wait a year in anticipation of the final season.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 pm I read "Get Shorty" and saw the movie, I'll have to give the series a look. Forgot that there was one.
The series is great, with dialog almost as good as Elmore Leonard’s. Season 4 will air in 2021.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm
I'd say it keeps gets better with an epic end of S07 then another "cliffhanger" at the end of S08 to make us all wait a year in anticipation of the final season.
I've also just started Season 7. One of the best series I've watched in a while. :happy
Blues

Post by Blues »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:46 pm
Blues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:29 pm I read "Get Shorty" and saw the movie, I'll have to give the series a look. Forgot that there was one.
The series is great, with dialog almost as good as Elmore Leonard’s. Season 4 will air in 2021.
Thanks, Tom-Tom. :sharebeer
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:56 am

I've watched the first episode. It seemed a bit overdone like a stew with so many ingredients that you can't taste them all. Feels like it is trying too hard to impress me.

I'm still on the fence. Will watch a few more episodes before deciding whether I'll be in it for the long haul.

Somebody, perhaps in this thread, mentioned that it is Bonanza 2.0, which seems apt so far. Or maybe it is Dallas 2.0. Also has a lot in common with Longmire, which I thought had quite a few flaws (and a ridiculous final episode), but it was still addictive for me.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:09 pm
Me too. I gave up on Wentworth I think after Series 4.

One thing that really annoys me is when the writers concoct a villain that cannot be vanquished (a la Holmes/Moriarty). After a few dozen hours of the protaganist struggling to vanquish the villain, only to see him/her miraculously escape to return for another season, I'm ready to move on. It's a sign that the writers have run out of ideas.
Blues

Post by Blues »

House Blend wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:46 pm

I've watched the first episode. It seemed a bit overdone like a stew with so many ingredients that you can't taste them all. Feels like it is trying too hard to impress me.

I'm still on the fence. Will watch a few more episodes before deciding whether I'll be in it for the long haul.

Somebody, perhaps in this thread, mentioned that it is Bonanza 2.0, which seems apt so far. Or maybe it is Dallas 2.0. Also has a lot in common with Longmire, which I thought had quite a few flaws (and a ridiculous final episode), but it was still addictive for me.
I read several of the early Longmire books but I couldn't take how far fetched things became after a handful.
(It's the price I pay for wanting more realism in police procedurals and such, since I spent my adult life in law enforcement. I only have so much suspension of reality to dole out.) I watched one or two episodes of the show, but it was a no go from the start.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

^Yeah, I get that.

Without going into details, when I see my profession depicted on screen, the highest accolade I have ever been able to offer is "Well, at least it didn't make me cringe".
Blues

Post by Blues »

House Blend wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:06 pm ^Yeah, I get that.

Without going into details, when I see my profession depicted on screen, the highest accolade I have ever been able to offer is "Well, at least it didn't make me cringe".
Well put.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Blues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:58 pm

I read several of the early Longmire books but I couldn't take how far fetched things became after a handful.
(It's the price I pay for wanting more realism in police procedurals and such, since I spent my adult life in law enforcement. I only have so much suspension of reality to dole out.) I watched one or two episodes of the show, but it was a no go from the start.
I generally enjoyed Longmire, mainly due to the characters and the geographical and cultural surroundings. You have to get past the implausibility of all the crimes that happen in such a rural area. By the last season it gets ridiculous.

I also enjoy Yellowstone, for some of the same reasons, but it is much darker, and hpeenings more ridiculous. A comparison to Dallas seems accurate. The end of the last season has moved into the absurd.
Blues

Post by Blues »

JBTX wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:40 pm
Blues wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:58 pm

I generally enjoyed Longmire, mainly due to the characters and the geographical and cultural surroundings. You have to get past the implausibility of all the crimes that happen in such a rural area. By the last season it gets ridiculous.

I also enjoy Yellowstone, for some of the same reasons, but it is much darker, and hpeenings more ridiculous. A comparison to Dallas seems accurate. The end of the last season has moved into the absurd.
I've spent a fair amount of time in Wyoming and Montana mountaineering, motorcycling and backpacking for weeks at a time. Still...not convinced.
(And I live in a rural area...but in the Blue Ridge mountains.) It is what it is.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Downton Abbey. Great show!
Brokerage: VTI+VXUS || Retirement: VTWAX || Short-Term: Cash+BSV || 33x Expenses
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Just watched the first season of Mr Mercedes on Peacock. It is a Stephen King adaptation about a mass murderer. It was good. I had never heard of Peacock Network, it comes free with Comcast.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

brokendirtdart wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:05 pm Binge watched Yellowstone. A Kevin Costner series set in Montana. I'm surprised I missed the earlier seasons and can't wait until season 4 gets released.

Fun for the whole family-except the kids. Horses, cowboys, cops, treachery, family drama, drugs, bombs, murder, corporate shenanigans, etc.
+1 love it!

Others currently in play at my home:
Warrior (from the writings of Bruce Lee)
The Undone
Succession
Emily in Paris
Billions

Recently Finished:
The Queen’s Gambit
Raised by Wolves (disappointing)
McMafia
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean »

I've watched a few episodes of Yellowstone. IMO, one huge difference from shows like Bonanza is that the Cartwrights were moral, ethical, honest people. The Duttons are not. Although interested at times, I find it hard to root for anything in Yellowstone besides the scenery. I really enjoyed Longmire, which I thought had many engaging characters (regardless of how implausible some things were).
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We just watched the final episode of The Undone Undoing.
Tense ending.

We really enjoyed that mini-series.
That was quite a cast!

RM

[Thanks to heartwood for catching my mistake with the title.]
Last edited by ResearchMed on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:20 am We just watched the final episode of The Undone.
Tense ending.

That was quite a cast!

RM
Ha! I thought you meant The Undoing? a completely different series on HBO that had its final episode last night. Hugh Grant, Nicole Kidman, and a lesser role for Donald Sutherland. Several other good performances by actors I don't recognize.

NYC family, brutal murder, who done it? Check out Nicole's hair almost every time she leaves home.

One of the better stories I've watched this year.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

heartwood wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:45 am
ResearchMed wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:20 am We just watched the final episode of The Undone.
Tense ending.

That was quite a cast!

RM
Ha! I thought you meant The Undoing? a completely different series on HBO that had its final episode last night. Hugh Grant, Nicole Kidman, and a lesser role for Donald Sutherland. Several other good performances by actors I don't recognize.

NYC family, brutal murder, who done it? Check out Nicole's hair almost every time she leaves home.

One of the better stories I've watched this year.
Yikes - I DID mean The Undoing.
I was posting way beyond my regular bedtime :shock:

Donald Sutherland really had some great moments (and facial expressions). I hadn't seen him recently, so it was nice he was there.

Thanks - I'll correct my post above!

RM
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

3% - Netflix - Sci Fi

Long Way Up, Long Way Down, and Long Way Riund -Apppe TV - Motorcycle documentaries. Loved these!
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm
I've also just started Season 7. One of the best series I've watched in a while. :happy
My wife agrees!
Blues

Post by Blues »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:59 pm
My wife agrees!
Finished season 2 last night. :twisted:
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened on Netflix.

I knew the scam festival was a hot mess, but people’s willingness to suspend disbelief is a lesson for all of us. A lot of decent people held out hope against slimmer hope to the bitter end. Sad.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

manatee2005 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:14 pm Outlander is excellent.
I don’t like it but most of my family is addicted to it. It’s just too unbelievable for me, and it carries 21st century values back to the 18th century, a waste of time in my opinion. The main characters meet all the crowned heads of Europe, then they go to America and meet Geo. Washington too? Come on!
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Moby Dick (1998, TV Miniseries) Henry Thomas, Patrick Stewart, Bruce Spence, Piripi Waretini

In reading the reviews some don’t like it. However we thought it was well done and we enjoyed it. The casting, acting, and staging was effective. Patrick Stewart as Ahab. Gregory Peck in his last role in a bit part, he was Ahab in an earlier version. Three one-hour episodes on VUDU. I read the book 32 years ago. Such a great story, I may pick it up again. Call me Ishmael.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:06 pm Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened on Netflix.

I knew the scam festival was a hot mess, but people’s willingness to suspend disbelief is a lesson for all of us. A lot of decent people held out hope against slimmer hope to the bitter end. Sad.
I think I see what you did there. 8-)
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Rewatching Halt and Catch fire. This time binge style. I literally can't find anything else I want to watch.

I'm hesitant to rewatch series but once I am into them with the good ones I enjoy them more the second time through. Same with Halt and Catch Fire.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:42 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:14 pm Outlander is excellent.
I don’t like it but most of my family is addicted to it. It’s just too unbelievable for me, and it carries 21st century values back to the 18th century, a waste of time in my opinion. The main characters meet all the crowned heads of Europe, then they go to America and meet Geo. Washington too? Come on!
Thats the fun part. After suspending belief for time travel through the stones i don't have an issue with meeting George Washington
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Would have bet money that I would hate "The Crown". Wrong! It's very good.

On Netflix
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

The Crown was well produced but I think is very unethical storytelling and for this reason cannot recommend it.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

URSnshn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 am The Crown was well produced but I think is very unethical storytelling and for this reason cannot recommend it.
I too thought I'd hate it, but it's been entertaining so far. I am not watching a documentary, I'm watching fictional drama (the characters just happen to have the same names as real people).
batpot

Post by batpot »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:59 pm
Conch55 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:57 pm Although not a recent offering we are watching Fargo. Finishing up season 2. Quirky but enjoyable.
Season 1-3 are fabulous. We can't really get into season 4.
Yes, 4 is the weakest.
Too many side stories and characters, and relied too heavily on deus ex machina.
My favorite order: 2, 1, 3, 4.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

"The Trial: A Murder in the Family"

[From Wikipedia]
... "is a British television docudrama ... 2017. The five-part series follows a fictional court case in which university lecturer Simon Davis (Michael Gould) is tried for the murder of his wife Carla, in an attempt to recreate an accurate portrayal of an English legal trial. Filming and recording of nearly all real court proceedings in England and Wales are currently prohibited, hence the trial presented cannot be a genuine case.[1] However, the prosecuting counsel, defence counsel and judge featured in the series are real professionals; and the jury is made up of twelve members of the British public. The only actors featured are the defendant and other key witnesses.[2]"

This was very well done.
We watched in two sessions, Episodes 1 & 2 the first evening, and the final 3 episodes the next evening.

It was on Amazon Prime video.
Interestingly, we came across this due to AI. The software "recommended" this series based upon our previous viewing.

RM
jello_nailer

Post by jello_nailer »

The Dick Van Dyke show.
Simply brilliant.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

jello_nailer wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:39 pm The Dick Van Dyke show.
Simply brilliant.
"Oh, Rob!"
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet