[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by TomatoTomahto »

rich126 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:47 pm I just completed the 3 part (roughly 1 hr each) series called Mrs. Wilson. I won't say too much to give anything away. It was slow but good and a bit sad. Basically a woman's husband (probably 20+ yrs older than her) passes away and she founds out there may be other Mrs. Wilson's out there.

Oh, and it is based on a true story.
Not only is it based on a true story, but the actress Ruth Wilson plays her real life grandmother (Alison Wilson). Highly recommended.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Swimmer wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:29 am Last night on Netflix, I stumbled across a documentary on Dolly Parton. Quite a remarkable lady.
Highly recommend this one! I also stumbled on it and it's such a refreshing way to escape all the agitas in the nation/world right now, she is indeed a remarkable person and talent.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Finished "The Great" Season 1 on Hulu. It is hard to describe, when I first saw it I thought it would be a comedy but it is more of a 70% drama / 30% comedy. It's pretty refreshing actually and I really enjoyed it, looking forward to the next season. It's definitely not historically accurate.

Watching "Unorthodox" on Netflix now as recommended earlier in this thread. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

The Queen's Gambit
Eight year-old orphan Beth Harmon is quiet, sullen, and by all appearances unremarkable. That is, until she plays her first game of chess. Her senses grow sharper, her thinking clearer, and for the first time in her life she feels herself fully in control. By the age of sixteen, she's competing for the U.S. Open championship. But as Beth hones her skills on the professional circuit, the stakes get higher, her isolation grows more frightening, and the thought of escape becomes all the more tempting. Based on the book by Walter Tevis.
And no, you don't need to know anything about chess to enjoy this.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:15 pm The Queen's Gambit
Eight year-old orphan Beth Harmon is quiet, sullen, and by all appearances unremarkable. That is, until she plays her first game of chess. Her senses grow sharper, her thinking clearer, and for the first time in her life she feels herself fully in control. By the age of sixteen, she's competing for the U.S. Open championship. But as Beth hones her skills on the professional circuit, the stakes get higher, her isolation grows more frightening, and the thought of escape becomes all the more tempting. Based on the book by Walter Tevis.
Just finished watching the first two episodes. Pretty engrossing so far.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

vveat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 pm Unorthodox - it's a German-American miniseries on Netflix, just 4 episodes.
I had read the book recently and it was memorable in its own way, but the show has taken a creative spin on it to great effect. The movie alternates between Yiddish and English with smatterings of German and the action goes back and forth between Brooklyn and Berlin. Amazing actors and very realistic costumes. There is also a 20-min documentary about the making of the movie, also worth watching.
We finished watching last night. By creative spin, do you mean the how the story in Berlin played out in the series vs what was written in the book? I noticed in the making of documentary, they said that part was mostly fictional vs what happened in real life.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:15 pm The Queen's Gambit
Excellent movie/series of the chess game of life's challenges, redemption and checkmate. Might make one think of the janitors they have had in their lives.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 15-time loser
Eowyn

Post by Eowyn »

Just finished Call the Midwife (PBS series, viewed on DVD) Season 1 and I'm hooked. It is based on the memoirs of Jennifer Lee, a nurse/midwife who worked in London's East End post-WW2. She and her fellow midwives live in a house run by nuns. I enjoy the mix of characters (people of different classes, religious beliefs, etc. living side by side), and the balance of gritty realism with dashes of romance & humor thrown in.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Got through re-watching the first 3 seasons of Fargo
Season 2 is by far the best
Season 1 is great
Season 3 is still good, but fair bit behind the first 2.
Going to start watching Season 4 next
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

batpot wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:47 pm Got through re-watching the first 3 seasons of Fargo
Season 2 is by far the best
Season 1 is great
Season 3 is still good, but fair bit behind the first 2.
Going to start watching Season 4 next
Fantastic show. I think we're through the first 4 episodes of season 4, it is definitely the slowest of the seasons.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Queens Gambit was completed last night. Excellent show and heartwarming end to the show.

Makes me want to:
1. Read the book.
2. Learn how to play chess.

Ed
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

MP173 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:53 pm Queens Gambit was completed last night. Excellent show and heartwarming end to the show.

Makes me want to:
1. Read the book.

Ed
Agree one of the best shows we have watched in awhile we are not chess players but still loved it.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Outback Truckers on Netflix

It's like Ice Road Truckers except in Australia's "outback," Instead of ice and snow, there are mostly deserts and some mountains and rainforests -- Australia has all of that, including lots of kangaroos, cattle, and interesting people.

They drive what they call road trains which can have a tractor (aka prime mover), sometimes two of them, pulling 2 to 5 trailers. Their cargo includes livestock, whole buildings, fuel (diesel or gasoline), farm and construction equipment. Much of it is (very) wide load. One guy has a travelling car crusher and pulls it around hunting for derelict cars to crush for scrap. He also has a big road train to collect the crushed cars. There are a lot of derelict cars in Australia's outback!

The challenges here are different from ice roads. Here there is heat (40-50 C, 100 to 120 F), dust, mud, rain storms and other traffic on sometimes narrow dirt roads and sometimes paved concrete roads or more often roads paved with "bitumen," A big problem is getting "bogged." That's when a something sinks axle-deep in sand or mud. This can happen halfway across a river crossing. The river may have crocodiles.

I find it interesting.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

TV shows I am currently watching:

Queens Gambit - watched First episode and it definitely has my interest. About an orphan who becomes a chess prodigy.

Mandolarian - dose of Star Ward between movies. On 2nd season

Dark - fantastic. Just finished 2nd season. I must admit sometimes I don't know where someone is(or when) and why did they go in that xave
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

TV shows I am currently watching:

Queens Gambit - watched First episode and it definitely has my interest. About an orphan who becomes a chess prodigy.

Mandolarian - dose of Star Ward between movies. On 2nd season

Dark - fantastic. Just finished 2nd season. I must admit sometimes I don't know where someone is(or when) and why did they go in that xave
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Halicar

Post by Halicar »

Season 2 of The Mandalorian just started on Disney Plus, and the first episode does not disappoint. It continues in the western/Samurai vein, and I won't post any spoilers, but it looks like we'll be getting a story arc that fans have been hankering for since the 1980's.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:38 am
Bylo Selhi wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:28 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:58 pm DW and I also finished "Secrets and Lies" - the Australian original series, not the ABC reboot. Very binge worthy and relatively short.
Keeps you guessing until the end and at one point, the crime could have been committed by any of them!

FYI- a number of the cast members also were involved in "Rake" and "Underbelly"- another couple of other well done series coming out of Oz.
If you enjoyed those shows, check out Wentworth. Now in its 8th season. A much harder edged version of Orange is the New Black. Also Secret City and Jack Irish. Lots of good stuff out of Oz.
Wentworth, on Netflix. "Much harder edge" would be a good way to put it. This series won a lot of awards and I can see why. I'll keep watching.

Orange is the New Black is the reason I started watching Netflix in the first place.

As for The Boys Season 2, I got bored and stopped watching after 4 episodes. The super hero aspect wears off quickly when the plot doesn't hold your interest.
I've been watching Wentworth based on the suggestions in this thread. Thanks! I really like it so far (after 2 seasons). The character development is very intricate and complex. I can't understand the Aussie accent and jargon sometimes LOL.

I haven't finished Orange is the New Black yet. Out of the two, I like Wentworth more.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:10 pmI've been watching Wentworth based on the suggestions in this thread. Thanks! I really like it so far (after 2 seasons). The character development is very intricate and complex. I can't understand the Aussie accent and jargon sometimes LOL.
I finished Season 8 just a few days ago after watching one episode a day for the past three months. I'm really missing my daily fix. Incidentally Season 9, the final one, is or was in production with release planned for 2021.

As for character development, you ain't seen nuthing yet ;)

The accents get easier to understand the more you hear them. The jargon takes a bit more effort. Google is a useful tool for that. For instance I wasn't sure what a Monte Carlo (Boomer's favorite snack) is until I looked it up: Monte Carlo. Also some slang words are far more offensive on this side of the Pacific than they are on theirs. What may seem like gratuitous profanity to us is apparently considered almost friendly banter there. Obviously I can't post examples here.
Last edited by Bylo Selhi on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

After reading some talk about it, I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country on HBO. HBO describes it as " a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback."

As a story its watchable, although I'm always disappointed when the video is so dark its hard to make things out. I may watch another episode or two, but won't recommend it because its not a genre I enjoy,and particularly for the dark video. HBO is teasing that a Season 2 may be in the works.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

Narcos. It's now free on Pluto TV.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:29 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:10 pmI've been watching Wentworth based on the suggestions in this thread. Thanks! I really like it so far (after 2 seasons). The character development is very intricate and complex. I can't understand the Aussie accent and jargon sometimes LOL.
I finished Season 8 just a few days ago after watching one episode a day for the past three months. I'm really missing my daily fix. Incidentally Season 9, the final one, is or was in production with release planned for 2021.

As for character development, you ain't seen nuthing yet ;)

The accents get easier to understand the more you hear them. The jargon takes a bit more effort. Google is a useful tool for that. For instance I wasn't sure what a Monte Carlo (Boomer's favorite snack) is until I looked it up: Monte Carlo. Also some slang words are far more offensive on this side of the Pacific than they are on theirs. What may seem like gratuitous profanity to us is apparently considered almost friendly banter there. Obviously I can't post examples here.
I'm glad they are working on Season 9! I felt the same way after finishing Breaking Bad (missing the daily show(s)).

So funny about the Monte Carlos! Boomer likes her snacks. :happy
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'm near the end of Wentworth Season 4 and have been trying to watch 2 episodes / day. Due to available time, it's closer to 1 episode / day.

Character development, indeed. :wink:
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:10 am I'm near the end of Wentworth Season 4 and have been trying to watch 2 episodes / day. Due to available time, it's closer to 1 episode / day.

Character development, indeed. :wink:
Yes, the governor is one scary "character" IMO! :shock:
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

vveat wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:57 pm Unorthodox - it's a German-American miniseries on Netflix, just 4 episodes.
I had read the book recently and it was memorable in its own way, but the show has taken a creative spin on it to great effect. The movie alternates between Yiddish and English with smatterings of German and the action goes back and forth between Brooklyn and Berlin. Amazing actors and very realistic costumes. There is also a 20-min documentary about the making of the movie, also worth watching.
I finished this (and the documentary) just recently and enjoyed it, thank your for the recommendation. I find these niche religious communities fascinating but also bewildering considering women are often subjugated in them.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
pezblanco

Post by pezblanco »

heartwood wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:28 am After reading some talk about it, I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country on HBO. HBO describes it as " a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of white America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback."

As a story its watchable, although I'm always disappointed when the video is so dark its hard to make things out. I may watch another episode or two, but won't recommend it because its not a genre I enjoy,and particularly for the dark video. HBO is teasing that a Season 2 may be in the works.
It doesn't get any better than the first couple of episodes. After that it slowly goes off the rails. I was disappointed in it but watched the whole first season. Will not be tempted to try a Season 2 if it appears.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

"Queens Gambit". Definitely recommend.
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

chipperd wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:52 pm "Queens Gambit". Definitely recommend.
Totally agree. My wife and I just binged it in two days. Very very enjoyable. Even for someone who doesn't know how to play chess.

The Queen's Gambit is a fictional story that follows the life of an orphan chess prodigy named Beth Harmon from the age of eight to twenty-two during her quest to become the world's greatest chess player while struggling with emotional issues and with drug and alcohol dependency. The story begins in the mid-1950s and proceeds into the 1960s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen ... iniseries)
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

I mentioned upthread that a knowledge of chess isn't required to enjoy The Queen's Gambit. However those who do have such knowledge may be interested in I’m a Chess Expert. Here’s What ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ Gets Right (and wrong.) Warning: Here be spoilers.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Cruise wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:05 pm First time looking at this thread. Thanks for the suggestions!

I searched to see whether anyone mentioned "Tehran," and could not find a cite.

Tehran is on Apple TV+, and is developed by some of the group that did Fauda. It is an Israeli series about a Mossad agent operating in Tehran. Very interesting. Highly recommend.
Yes. I enjoyed it despite some mid-season romance that seemed to drag on a bit. Overall, it kind of stretched on imagination and the ending was kind of abrupt. I also like the opening music theme, reminding me of Mission Impossible.
cnblure

Post by cnblure »

Yellowstone. It's pretty much a gritty version of Bonanza, but it's still pretty good.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Watching final season of “X Files” on Hulu.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
coynerone

Post by coynerone »

This is us. So good.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

coynerone wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:31 pm This is us. So good.
Yes. Just started and on 9th episode. Didn’t think we would like, but wow. End of episode 1 was amazing.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'm currently watching John Adams on HBO Max, really good so far (on episode 5). The opening theme music is amazing, I will probably buy the soundtrack.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Dark - Season One

Really enjoying this. It has a X-Files / Stranger Things / Twin Peaks vibe due to the twisty plot and mysteries. My understanding is that that they are doing 3 seasons - and it's done - which is a good thing. These type of shows don't age well if they drag on and on and just get lost in convoluted nonsense.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Yellowstone.With Keven Costner. Been watching a few episodes a day. I like it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 pm Dark - Season One

Really enjoying this. It has a X-Files / Stranger Things / Twin Peaks vibe due to the twisty plot and mysteries. My understanding is that that they are doing 3 seasons - and it's done - which is a good thing. These type of shows don't age well if they drag on and on and just get lost in convoluted nonsense.
In English or German? I watched the 1st season in German (with English subtitles) and was debating if I should stick with that or switch to the dubbed version.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

We watched B Positive on CBS on the strength of a WSJ review https://www.wsj.com/articles/b-positive ... 1604434608.

WSJ calls it a kidney donor comedy and hypes Chuck Lorre as exec producer and James Burrows (“Cheers,” “Taxi,” “Frasier”) as director of the first two episodes. The review proudly notes the "near perfect casting" mentioning "Thomas Middleditch (“Silicon Valley”), "who is blessed with what might be called Resting Anxiety Face", and Annaleigh Ashford a Tony-winner.

Two and a Half Men or Frasier its not. I liked it while annoyed by the unceasing canned laughter. My wife panned it noting a comedy about the search for a kidney transplant is a comedic stretch. The review cautions its probably meant for adults, with themes including renal failure, organ transplants, promiscuity, drug and alcoholic abuse and death.

I thought there was several good laugh lines and will watch another next week.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

Just finished We Are Who We Are on HBO

and started to rewatch Kroll Show(guess I’m nostalgic for 2013)
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:54 pm
Barkingsparrow wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 pm Dark - Season One

In English or German? I watched the 1st season in German (with English subtitles) and was debating if I should stick with that or switch to the dubbed version.
We are watching the English version with subtitles for some clarity. The dubbing has some discrepancies from the subtitles, but we've gotten used to it.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Fantastic show.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Watched the 1st episode of Roadkill on PBS Masterpiece with Hugh Laurie as a Brit minister and Helen McCrory (Peaky Blinders) as PM.

Liked it and will watch more.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

7eight9 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:11 pm
Totally agree. My wife and I just binged it in two days. Very very enjoyable. Even for someone who doesn't know how to play chess.

The Queen's Gambit is a fictional story that follows the life of an orphan chess prodigy named Beth Harmon from the age of eight to twenty-two during her quest to become the world's greatest chess player while struggling with emotional issues and with drug and alcohol dependency. The story begins in the mid-1950s and proceeds into the 1960s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen ... iniseries)
This was a great series. Best thing I've watched on Netflix in a while. My wife liked it too.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Marcella, on Netflix.

We have watched the first season This is a mystery series about a female detective pursuing a serial killer, while her family life disintegrates. Set in London. I liked this series.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
gips

Post by gips »

i watched and liked queens gambit. as a teenage nationally ranked chess player in late 1960s, i can say they did a good job portraying what chess tournaments were like during that time period. there were some off notes (no one offers a draw and when declined, resigns) but for the most part, they got it right. i’d liked to have seen some bughouse chess, we played it at every tournament in the skittles room, it’s wild and raucous.

i guess i’m the only one with this opinion, to my eye the camera exploitively captured anya taylor-joy’s body. maybe that’s an unpopular observation for a movie about a woman's empowerment and redemption.
s8r

Post by s8r »

gips wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:22 am i guess i’m the only one with this opinion, to my eye the camera exploitively captured anya taylor-joy’s body. maybe that’s an unpopular observation for a movie about a woman's empowerment and redemption.
I kind of agree. At times it felt even a bit cringy since she looks so young for her age (she's actually 24).
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

s8r wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:33 am
gips wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:22 am i guess i’m the only one with this opinion, to my eye the camera exploitively captured anya taylor-joy’s body. maybe that’s an unpopular observation for a movie about a woman's empowerment and redemption.
I kind of agree. At times it felt even a bit cringy since she looks so young for her age (she's actually 24).
+1
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
peppers

Post by peppers »

Medici

Thoroughly enjoyed this series about the rise of the Medici family. It has it all. Political intrigue, assassins lurking behind dark corners, papal corruption, arranged marriages to secure alliances with banking rivals and more. All done "in the name of the family".

Viewed on Netflix
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

TLC1957 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:40 pm
MP173 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:53 pm Queens Gambit was completed last night. Excellent show and heartwarming end to the show.

Makes me want to:
1. Read the book.

Ed
Agree one of the best shows we have watched in awhile we are not chess players but still loved it.

Best original show Netflix has put out by far.
rixer

Post by rixer »

On Hulu, Devious Maids.